Astrology of a College/University.

athenian200

There are a few dates I could use:

1. The date the decision was made to build the school and all the papers were signed.

2. The day construction started on the school building.

3. The day construction was completed.

4. The first day classes were held.

I'm trying to get a sense of the "energy" these schools have as institutions. Which of these dates would you use?

mossadrai

Hello, Athenian 200,

why not to use all the above dates and "feel" (analyze) which one seems the best and yields the more information?

However, if I had to choose one, I would choose the date the university was materially and physically existant, i.e., the date constructions were finished. In my view, this is what we do with nativities. We take into account the date a human being is existant in the world. We don't take into account its formation period (the building period of the University), we don't take into account the date the parents decided to have the children (this would be the date the idea of the University appeared) and we don't take into account the day the kid first ate, walked or spoke (which would be the date classes were first held). What we take into account is when that entity came into being.

Best Regards

athenian200

Hello, Athenian 200,

why not to use all the above dates and "feel" (analyze) which one seems the best and yields the more information?

However, if I had to choose one, I would choose the date the university was materially and physically existant, i.e., the date constructions were finished. In my view, this is what we do with nativities. We take into account the date a human being is existant in the world. We don't take into account its formation period (the building period of the University), we don't take into account the date the parents decided to have the children (this would be the date the idea of the University appeared) and we don't take into account the day the kid first ate, walked or spoke (which would be the date classes were first held). What we take into account is when that entity came into being.

Best Regards

There is an issue in this case with the college in question, though...

There was a labor strike that caused construction delays, and thus classes actually started before the campus was completed. The PE and Arts buildings were unfinished when students went to class for the first time.

This is also complicated by the fact that additional buildings have been added to the campus over the years. This isn't just a single building, it's a whole complex of buildings.

I was looking through old newspapers though, and I found out that the official dedication ceremony took place on October 15th, 1972 at approximately 3:00pm.

However, it seems classes actually started on September 5th, 1972... about a month before that ceremony.

Last edited:

athenian200

When it was inaugurated after being completed?

Well, assuming inaugurating is the same thing as dedication, that would have been on October 15th. However, classes were already taking place at this time, as they had started on September 5th.

As for date of registration... I'm not sure how I would find that for a public university, or if there's even an equivalent process to registering it (like for a company).

Technically speaking, the college was built by an organization called the DCCCD and that organization existed long before the campus was ever built. Should I use that organization's data instead of focusing on the college as an individual entity?

dhundhun

Well, assuming inaugurating is the same thing as dedication, that would have been on October 15th. However, classes were already taking place at this time, as they had started on September 5th.

As for date of registration... I'm not sure how I would find that for a public university, or if there's even an equivalent process to registering it (like for a company).

Technically speaking, the college was built by an organization called the DCCCD and that organization existed long before the campus was ever built. Should I use that organization's data instead of focusing on the college as an individual entity?

Try Oct 15th first. It will be either when the university was formed or date of dedication.