Question about Orbs

katydid

If we are discussing asteroids now,than i will post this question here because nobody answered my original post,so:

What does it mean when my Nessus Is in conjunction with somebodys Vertex? The whole thing is tighter than 5° and in Capricorn.My Nessus is in the 10th House (ruled by capricorn in my chart,and my Nessus isn't conjuncting my MC) and her vertex is in her 5th house ruled by Sagittarius.Her Anti-vertex is conjuncting my Jupiter tho.

Rik

One of the best ways to answer questions like this, about lesser known asteroids, and questions about orb strength, is by YOU observing your interactions and interplay in this relationship. Then YOU can come back and tell us what you observed. :ninja:

magnolia8

If there is an intermediary planet in aspect to the two planets' with wider orb of conjunction - it offers itself as a shrinker of orb and it can take on a lot of power and energy position between the the more distantly conjunct planets, but it brings them together in more intense recognition of each other through the 3rd party.

The conjunct planets will find strength, belonging or wrenching, from the intermediary planet which links both through it's joint aspect to them.

Example

I have Sun at 5'52 Aquarius , and Mercury 19'24 Aquarius - a 13 degree distance, both in 7th house. By themselves, they have no connective aspect.

However - Neptune is 11'14 Scorpio, squaring both Sun and Merc. There has to be recognition of each other through Neptune's relationship to the two.

Example:

Joey knows a guy from the same neighborhood who knows a guy from the same neighborhood but Joey doesn't know the third guy too well, but Joey's guy introduced Joey to the other guy and now the three of them always hang out together in the neighborhood.

The variable of the relation can be positive or negative, but they will certainly know each other through the intermediary.

Not to hijack OP's thread, but...interesting. I have a triple conjunction of Mars-Sun-Venus, where both Sun and Venus are squared by Pluto, but because the orb between Mars and Sun is 8 degrees, Mars is too far out to be properly squared by Pluto (orb stretches to 9 degrees). However, I've wondered whether Mars is still receiving a bit of Pluto just because the other two planets it's connected with are being challenged by Pluto. Something to consider, I suppose.

Anyway, OP, if it's a luminary I'd still count an orb of 10.59 as a conjunction, just a wide one. Its effects may be more in the background or experienced less frequently/intensely than if it were tighter.

waybread

If we are discussing asteroids now,than i will post this question here because nobody answered my original post,so:

What does it mean when my Nessus Is in conjunction with somebodys Vertex? The whole thing is tighter than 5° and in Capricorn.My Nessus is in the 10th House (ruled by capricorn in my chart,and my Nessus isn't conjuncting my MC) and her vertex is in her 5th house ruled by Sagittarius.Her Anti-vertex is conjuncting my Jupiter tho.

Rik

Rik, this whole business can get pretty crazy-making. We need to avoid turning asteroids and lesser-used sensitive points into so much space junk. The astrological operation of the centaurs like Nessus isn't well known, but their orbits are very long, so whatever meaning they possess is probably more generational than individual. They can't cast much of an orb. They're not planets, for the most part. The vertex casts no orb whatsoever, because it and the anti-vertex are comparable to your AC/DC axis.

A 5 degree orb would seem too wide for a centaur-vertex combo in synastry. Again, allow maybe a degree for an asteroid conjunction, and no orb for a sensitive point that is not an actual heavenly body. When you have an actual planet involved in a synastry conjunction, then I think 5 degrees is OK because you're looking at the planet's orb.

Last edited:

Rik

Rik, this whole business can get pretty crazy-making. We need to avoid turning asteroids and lesser-used sensitive points into so much space junk. The astrological operation of the centaurs like Nessus isn't well known, but their orbits are very long, so whatever meaning they possess is probably more generational than individual. They can't cast much of an orb. They're not planets, for the most part. The vertex casts no orb whatsoever, because it and the anti-vertex are comparable to your AC/DC axis.

A 5 degree orb would seem too wide for a centaur-vertex combo in synastry. Again, allow maybe a degree for an asteroid conjunction, and no orb for a sensitive point that is not an actual heavenly body. When you have an actual planet involved in a synastry conjunction, then I think 5 degrees is OK because you're looking at the planet's orb.

They're actually 2° something away from each other,but that's still more than double so thank you.

Rik

Rik

Hey waybread,I found a (for me) little bit confusing aspect in a friends and his gfs chart.
Her Nessus is square his Uranus.
But,the question is,what orb would you use here?
Because with an orb of 2° it's a square,but with 1,5° not anymore.
And if it's actually a square,how would this affect both of them?
Do you need any information about the planet positions,like Sign,House etc.?
If yes,than just tell me.

Rik

waybread

I haven't worked with the centaurs, so I can't say. The rule is, understand what's going on with the majors before moving on to the minors. In synastry, I think the main indicators of a good romantic relationship are:

1. Suns sextiled or trined.
2. Moons conjunct, sextiled, or trined
3. "Reverse" Mars-Venus conjunctions, sextiles, or trines.
4. One of the above conjunct, sextiled, or trined the other person's ascendant.
5. Inter-aspects with the above. (For example, A's moon sextiles B's sun.)
6. Jupiter is a "feel good" aspect, Mercury is good for communication.

The above is a best-case scenario. Seldom does it manifest in its entirety in reality.

Squares and oppositions may initially give a lot of excitement, but eventually these manifest as stressful aspects. Juno is supposedly the "marriage asteroid," so that might be one to look for.

The modern outer planets operate at a generational level. For example, Pluto may move only a couple of degrees per year. So everyone born in a given year will have Pluto in the same place. Nessus has an orbital period of 122.4 years.

So a Nessus-Uranus contact would be way down on my list of things to look for in a chart.

Where I do think asteroids get interesting in synastry is when you find a "namesake" asteroid, and you can see how it falls in the other person's chart. Not everybody has an asteroid with their name, but when you do, they're worth exploring. For example, asteroid Hillary conjuncts Bill Clinton's moon. My husband's namesake asteroid conjuncts my sun. You can input any asteroid into a chart at www.astro.com . You can use cognate names in other languages. For example, "John" might show up as Juan, Ian, Jean, Ivan, Johannes, Hans, Jan, &c.

I would also look at a couple's midpoint composite chart.

waybread

Rik, the first thing to consider about your question, is what does astrological Nessus mean? Here is one take on it, http://www.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Nessus , which also states that little is known about its astrological meaning in a chart.

But supposing you've worked this out, then Uranus is either the great liberator, or the source of unwanted disruption. With a square involved, this aspect doesn't appear to be an asset in a relationship.

But more importantly, what's going on with the couple's paired personal planets?

The other thing about synastry is that it's a good idea to spend time with the individual charts. Is he really relationship material, or is he too much of a free spirit, for example. Maybe she's a real sweetheart, but her money issues might trouble a relationship; or maybe she's totally set on having a family of children.

If you're just learning synastry, it's best to start with the relationships of people you know. You can see then whether wide or narrow orbs best describe the relationship.

Rik

Rik, the first thing to consider about your question, is what does astrological Nessus mean? Here is one take on it, http://www.astro.com/astrowiki/en/Nessus , which also states that little is known about its astrological meaning in a chart.

But supposing you've worked this out, then Uranus is either the great liberator, or the source of unwanted disruption. With a square involved, this aspect doesn't appear to be an asset in a relationship.

But more importantly, what's going on with the couple's paired personal planets?

The other thing about synastry is that it's a good idea to spend time with the individual charts. Is he really relationship material, or is he too much of a free spirit, for example. Maybe she's a real sweetheart, but her money issues might trouble a relationship; or maybe she's totally set on having a family of children.

If you're just learning synastry, it's best to start with the relationships of people you know. You can see then whether wide or narrow orbs best describe the relationship.

Alright,thank you very much.

This was the aspect that really bugged me,but not anymore.

Rik :)