I want to buy a new computer

tikana

If there are classes that use Windows then, those classes need to be QCed again to make sure it runs with the new software and then as necessary, changes made to the class to reflect the changes in the OS - OS changes are not seamless and no claims have been made that it is. This takes much time and much preparation before any switchover is done. It sounds like none of this was checked in QC before going "live".

you honestly think that IT dept did this overnight? LOL The proposal to switch goes back in 2011. The switch has to be approved by the school .. nothing to do with quality control. you still cannot solve mega win 8 issue .. it takes more memory from Ram to load.
our lab is a brand new lab. Thanks to prop we got money for brand new computers. so everything is spanking new. It opened up last semester. I only ended up there this semester. I am still installing stuff on most of the machines.
C++ classes - those issues have been going on since 2013. Over the winter they will replicate windows 7 drives and reinstall windows 7 as it was earlier. Probably we will go there and install our lab's duplicate drive because it is working perfectly with windows 7 and we have everything those classes need.
once we switch back, our students will be happy!

and BTW this question was posted right when moon was void and squaring merc out of a sign .. what Lenovo he wanted .. shouldn't get it in the first place. you guys can argue all day long about what a wonder OS windows 8 LOL is .. i am staying out of it. I worked with it not from front end but am troubleshooting it. it is as bad as vista. I rather troubleshoot on windows 3.11 my first troubleshooting machine. Matrix1 can say "pure BS" all he/she wants. I aint switching. Besides windows 10 is coming next year, another reason not to get windows 8. I had seen enough problems with that WinKrap8! If you are happy, good luck!

Last edited:

gismeu

If all you are going to do is trade stocks on the computer, pretty much any type will do. Although, maybe stay away from computers made in China ...

I would suggest that you invest in a backup computer, maybe a laptop to ensure that you will always have a computer available to get out of a stock trade if your primary computer is down or in the middle of an upgrade.

I have used Toshiba's for years and pretty satisfied with both the laptop and the all-in-one monitor. Other friends of mine love Dell.

Upgrading a computer ... used to do this but now, just easier to buy new every few years. If you don't plan to do this, then don't need internal access to add boards/change them.

Thanks Marinka,

I have been using 2 laptops the last few years, plus my wife got one too, in case the unthinkable happens. And I don't disagree with your pov, but I always like to learn more and being able to change the motherboard and whatever else is in that box, is new territory for me.

best, gis

gismeu

Hi Tikana,

wanted to give you and others an update here.
So I bought a new computer yesterday and it was the one you suggested, but it was not easy going!!!

According to 'Winning Times' the time between 4:30pm and 4:45pm would be very favorable for me. Besides, a few hours earlier I had t-Sun sextile n-Venus, so I thought this is looking good.

After I got the confirmation email of my buy, I noticed that shipping was not free, even though it had said before I clicked the buy button, that it would be. Second the additional promo code was not accepted by the system. On top of that the system said I would get some Intel software for free. I didn't want or need that, but why make trouble if it is for free.

Then in the email confirmation I got charged for that free software. In exchange the computer was cheaper, so in the end it was the same amount, but I was still confused.
So contacted chat support and in the end the order was cancelled.

Then 2 hours later I registered as a new user with different email address and before buying contacted live chat and asked about that promo.
First he said that it does not work with the other freebe, but when I pointed out to him that it makes no sense to post/publish a promo which does not work, he promised me that if I buy now, I would get it later. So then I bought that computer and shortly afterwards got an email stating that I will get that additional promo credit.

So, it was not easy, but in the end successful, which does not come as such a surprise to me, since I know that I have first Saturn and then Jupiter in Capricorn in my first house.

best, gis