Do you have a conscience?

Rebel Uranian

I should not let my conscience be my guide because my conscience has been like "that's bad so Imma go do it" a few times in the (mostly distant) past. I fortunately fail psychopath tests repeatedly, which means I have a conscience, it's just a bipolar and attached to another object by an inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis up one (and it also means that I'm insane for taking the same test over and over again and expecting to answer differently when taking the test again after I forget the answer, but that's still not psychopathy.) So yes, my last post here was pretty biased. Plz forgive me [for my conscience] :pouty: I wanna be good

[I really really really mean that last bit]

Last edited:

Love2Know

Everyone is bias.......... please forgive me I know not what I do please forgive me I can't stop lovin you lallallaa Great now that song is stuck in my head!
Frank you enjoy Once Upon a time?

ptolomy

Hi Frank ,I Really like the 'Jimmini Cricket' Toon,I presume you are referring to the Function of Jimmini Cricket being the conscience of Pinocchio ?
Lol.I am finding some of the opinions on conscience in this thread a bit difficult to understand,But its fun anyway :)

I was Googling 'Budhism and conscience' and came across this:http://www.religion21.com/buddconsc.pdf

I got the impression from it that Budhists dont recognise conscience as being significant,or even experience it???,And the writer appeared to think that it was particular to Christians to have a conscience.
Very odd.I never thought that conscience was the voice of God,i think of it as a higher part of myself.
Anyway,.........

Rebel Uranian

I think of something else entirely that I don't have a name for as the higher part of myself. My conscience, although it exists and functions, doesn't know that bad is bad :annoyed:

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Hi Frank ,I Really like the 'Jimmini Cricket' Toon,I presume you are referring to the Function of Jimmini Cricket being the conscience of Pinocchio ?
Lol.I am finding some of the opinions on conscience in this thread a bit difficult to understand,But its fun anyway :)

I was Googling 'Budhism and conscience' and came across this:http://www.religion21.com/buddconsc.pdf

I got the impression from it that Budhists dont recognise conscience as being significant,or even experience it???,And the writer appeared to think that it was particular to Christians to have a conscience.
Very odd.I never thought that conscience was the voice of God,i think of it as a higher part of myself.
Anyway,.........
From what I have read, Buddhism is more concerned with developing Compassion. :smile:

ptolomy

I am very glad to hear that you have a conscience Dr Farr,you are blessed.I think i would find it impossible to believe you if you said that you didnt as i cannot help but notice that you are always considerate and caring in your dealings with others on this site,And i do not think this behavior is possible without having a conscience. :)

ptolomy

Hi Dr Farr,Thank you for your kind words.My healing is going well ,Surgery wounds are closing fast and i begin Radiotherapy/Chemotherapy on Tuesday.
So im feeling optimistic that i am getting well.I wish you health and happiness :)

ptolomy

Hi Jupiterasc,Ive tried your recommended link a few times,But cant get it to work my friend,Re link it maybe?,or is the site it links still operative?

ptolomy

Dear Jupiterasc.
Wishing you,your nearest and dearest,and the whole human race a bright,wise,knowledgeable,loving future.Happy new year to every being on the planet without exception :)

JUPITERASC

..........I am finding some of the opinions on conscience in this thread a bit difficult to understand,But its fun anyway :) I was Googling 'Budhism and conscience' and came across this:http://www.religion21.com/buddconsc.pdf

Anyway,.........

dear ptolomy it does seem as if the word 'conscience' has many and varied interpretations.

With regard to whether Buddhists have (and/or do not have) a word for conscience

Buddhists consider karma important. The word 'Karma' means 'action'. Since Buddhists believe that they experience the results of all their actions, then Buddhists at all times remain mindful of their actions, taking care to act in ways that are 'harmless' not only to themselves but also to all Beings. In order to assist in the practice of 'Ahimsa' or 'Harmlessness', Buddhists spend much time on developing compassion.

'Conscience' (as defined on this thread by many) implies that someone 'lacking in conscience' could act in a merciless or an indifferent manner.

In contrast, someone 'having a conscience' could act in a compassionate manner.

Hence, although the writer of the article thinks that Buddhists 'do not have a word for conscience' perhaps the reason is that for Buddhists, the word 'conscience' is not needed, given that for Buddhists, the major emphasis is on the cultivation of compassion.

com·pas·sion
(noun) is a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune, accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering. Synonyms include: commiseration, mercy, tenderness, heart, clemency.

Buddhists are far from perfect, however I think we can safely say that Buddhists are mindful to strive to act in such a way that one might be forgiven for supposing that Buddhists do indeed have a conscience - even though technically, Buddhists apparently do not have a word for conscience! :smile:

ptolomy

My dear friend Jupiterasc.
I think you are right in this statement ,Quote:Hence, although the writer of the article thinks that Buddhists 'do not have a word for conscience' perhaps the reason is that for Buddhists, the word 'conscience' is not needed, given that for Buddhists, the major emphasis is on the cultivation of compassion.

I also think that the writer of the article is not necessarily correct,I would have to spend more time finding out where he got his understanding from before i accepted his opinion.I find it very hard to believe that not all human beings have conscience.Though it makes sense that Buddhists believe developing Compassion is paramount.
I also believe that conscience isnt there at our beck and call whenever we want it,so we cant count on using it whenever we please as it only speaks when there is an important issue at stake and it has its own volition.So consequently it is not something we can use continuously.Therefore it makes sense to produce our own compassion development plan.
Thank you for your valuable input as usual my friend :)

JUPITERASC

My dear friend Jupiterasc.
I think you are right in this statement ,Quote:Hence, although the writer of the article thinks that Buddhists 'do not have a word for conscience' perhaps the reason is that for Buddhists, the word 'conscience' is not needed, given that for Buddhists, the major emphasis is on the cultivation of compassion.

I also think that the writer of the article is not necessarily correct,I would have to spend more time finding out where he got his understanding from before i accepted his opinion.I find it very hard to believe that not all human beings have conscience.Though it makes sense that Buddhists believe developing Compassion is paramount.
I also believe that conscience isnt there at our beck and call whenever we want it,so we cant count on using it whenever we please as it only speaks when there is an important issue at stake and it has its own volition.So consequently it is not something we can use continuously.Therefore it makes sense to produce our own compassion development plan.
Thank you for your valuable input as usual my friend
:)
dear ptolomy we need reliable ways of honing our development as beings who are on a learning curve.

thank you for mentioning that article because your comment led me to mull over and think over the issue WHY wouldn't Buddhists have a word for conscience? The idea made no sense until I realized that, if one can do it to the best of one's ability, then living a compassionate life is a most reliable as well as rewarding way of living.

Even the most apparently merciless person cares for something or someone - be it a pet or a 'significant other' - so even if we are unable to define what 'conscience' is - or alternatively unable or unwilling to follow our 'conscience' because it gives us advice we would prefer to ignore - we can at least practice being kind to each other and as many other people as we possibly can. The idea of having compassion for others as well as compassion for ourselves seems remarkably similar to equally good advice about caring for our neighbor as much as we care for ourselves!
Truth is Truth my friend, whoever speaks it :smile:

ptolomy

Just found this in Wikipedia search under 'conscience':
Conscience also features prominently in Buddhism.[15] In the Pali scriptures, for example, Buddha links the positive aspect of conscience to a pure heart and a calm, well-directed mind: "when the mind is face to face with the Truth, a self-luminous spark of thought is revealed at the inner core of ourselves and, by analogy, all reality."[16] The Buddha also associated conscience with compassion for those who must endure cravings and suffering in the world until right conduct culminates in right mindfulness and right contemplation.[17] Santideva (685–763 CE) wrote in the Bodhicaryavatara (which he composed and delivered in the great northern Indian Buddhist university of Nalanda) of the spiritual importance of perfecting virtues such as generosity, forbearance and training the awareness to be like a "block of wood" when attracted by vices such as pride or lust; so one can continue advancing towards right understanding in meditative absorption.[18] Conscience thus manifests in Buddhism as unselfish love for all living beings which gradually intensifies and awakens the mind to a purer awareness.[19]
Seems to me that previous article suggesting that Budhism did not consider conscience important for the development of compassion is an exceptional view,and not the normal view from what i understand from this Wikipedia data.

Vagabondgirl

Most people have a conscience. Lacking one is rare and is what's known as sociopathy/psychopathy.

I agree! Think also that the conscience can be supressed under certain circumstances like a difficult life situation and denial. Maybe a basic need thing? If your basic needs are not met, the conscience does not work properly...