Struggling with my career path, and hoping the answer is in my chart!

speckII

Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer about this. I'm in the throes of my Saturn Return and boy am I feeling the ground shift beneath me career wise! I have spent the last decade focusing on developing a career in academia, but two years into a very highly respected PhD program I'm having huge doubts that it's for me. I'm very unhappy in the program and it's causing me to doubt everything from my intellect, to my place in the world, to my ability to ever be successful at something again.

From around January of this year I have been exploring other potential career paths and getting excited about a job outside of academia, but have not had much success in those I have applied to. I'm also struggling with feelings of being a 'quitter', despite knowing that I would be much happier and more successful on a different path.

Recently I have been looking to my chart for some direction, and thought it would be helpful to get some outside perspectives on where my power and potential lies!

Full chart is attached, thank you!

Attachments

• MY NATAL CHART.pdf
    166.8 KB · Views: 44

speckII

What is your program? Do you have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in the same field?
Thanks for your reply! My program is Sociocultural Anthropology, and yes, I do have a bachelor's degree in the same field. I'm in the process of finishing up my MA paper as part of the PhD program.

waybread

I don't think an academic career is a bad choice.

But here's the thing. Your sun is in an intercepted sign. An intercepted sign is one that doesn't form a house cusp. Effectively it means that a planet in an intercepted sign gets sort of boxed-in. It doesn't quite get the traction that we would otherwise expect. Intercepted signs are pretty common in horoscopes using quadrant house systems (like Placidus), planets in intercepted signs, still common enough. The sun in an intercepted sign, not so much.

What happens with the sun, your sense of self or identity, is that it remains hampered in its expression. This makes it hard to think of a career that would fit your identity like hand-in-glove, because the identity itself remains a bit of a cipher.

You can still have a great life. Just maybe that your ideal career will remain elusive. You might always wonder what you should be doing, even while you have a significant career.

If the above discussion really doesn't seem like you, there are two house systems that don't involve the possibility of interceptions: whole signs and equal houses. You can do any house system you want on the free charts pages at Astrodienst www.astro.com .

It looks like you have some good communication abilities. Have you worked as a TA or in another teaching capacity? If you enjoy teaching, with an anthropology background, you might think about getting on the international teaching circuit.

If you can say more about your likes/dislikes I may be able to do better. A "blind" chart reading is tough to do.

kshantaram

Premium Member
hope inputs help pick-integrate-plan as relevant,
do share feedbacks how true-false-insightful-helpful, traits-talents etc etc

asc lord sat own cap 11th with elevated mars,
gains from technology, entrepreneurial aptitudes, event management,
although with element of stress-struggle, methodical-disciplined,
mars aspect own aries 2nd supportive of finances,
while may not be good for health of family members;

mer acq 12th reformist aptitudes; acq asc scientific and innovative attitude;

jup-venus 2nd artistic, advisory-teaching and singing aptitudes;

sun-rahu-venus first impressive, dazzling personality;
aries-venus inimical for acq asc,
venus first house health issues, kidneys etc

sun-rahu NNode pisces first, seeking sensitivity in life, political aptitudes,
rise-fall in life, toxic health issues head-feet etc especially during childhood,
pray for welfare of ancestors, observe fast No-moon evenings taking milk-fruits;
wear brown hessonite over pendant;

ketu separative SNode virgo 7th, critical thinking-attitude,
good for audit-quality control roles, abdominal-intestinal pains etc,

currently ketu transit mer-acq 12th,
pain-injury-surgery head-feet-legs-sciatica-skin eruptions etc
prayers to Christ, offer red flowers wed evenings;

moon gemini 3rd, analytical, good at information processing,
confused at decision making roles,
aptitudes for teaching-singing-counseling-psycho analytics roles;

cancer 6th preference for sensitive work environments, diplomatic roles;

scorpio 9th research-occult aptitudes;
lord mars over cap 11th for gains from luck-edu-father-travels;

jup trine own sag 10th supportive of career;
jup now transit scorpio 9th for research-advisory roles;
year end jup moves to own sag 10th opp moon for career development;
wear yellow sapphire over jup finger, prayers to saint of your faith,
offer yellow flowers at the alter at home tues mornings;

sat now 2.5yrs transit own cap-natal sat 11th for gains,
gains from technology, old friends, old people;
wear blue sapphire and red coral over pendant for gains;
time to take long-term decisions of life;

could be inclined to industrial consultant as industrial psychologist,
organisation development-human resources dev-trainer-counselling roles

do ack, promptly share feedbacks,

wishing well, kshantaram

speckII

I don't think an academic career is a bad choice.

But here's the thing. Your sun is in an intercepted sign. An intercepted sign is one that doesn't form a house cusp. Effectively it means that a planet in an intercepted sign gets sort of boxed-in. It doesn't quite get the traction that we would otherwise expect. Intercepted signs are pretty common in horoscopes using quadrant house systems (like Placidus), planets in intercepted signs, still common enough. The sun in an intercepted sign, not so much.

What happens with the sun, your sense of self or identity, is that it remains hampered in its expression. This makes it hard to think of a career that would fit your identity like hand-in-glove, because the identity itself remains a bit of a cipher.

You can still have a great life. Just maybe that your ideal career will remain elusive. You might always wonder what you should be doing, even while you have a significant career.

If the above discussion really doesn't seem like you, there are two house systems that don't involve the possibility of interceptions: whole signs and equal houses. You can do any house system you want on the free charts pages at Astrodienst www.astro.com .

It looks like you have some good communication abilities. Have you worked as a TA or in another teaching capacity? If you enjoy teaching, with an anthropology background, you might think about getting on the international teaching circuit.

If you can say more about your likes/dislikes I may be able to do better. A "blind" chart reading is tough to do.
Thank you very much for this! It's definitely given me more to think about and look into. I've never explored the impact that an intercepted sign might have, and it really resonates with me that many of my goals are somewhat delayed and often feel like they don't 'fit' with my larger identity. I started my education later in life than most, as I have been self-sufficient since a young age and spent late-teens / early-twenties trying to get financially stable so I could put myself through college. This certainly hampered me in all kinds of ways that have had a lasting impact (creativity, self-expression, feeling behind my peers), but in general I'm a very optimistic and positive future-oriented person.

I think that being someone to whom for so long a job was just a job (and a way to survive) has made it harder to pin down what I 'should' be doing, as I'm unlikely to identify directly with my career even when I have a great one. I tend to get the most satisfaction and sense of success from travel, new experiences, helping people, political activism, and the more social and convivial parts of my life. Not that there isn't the potential to find a career that involves these elements, but perhaps I've been worrying too much about my job defining me as a person when there are far more important and joyful everyday things to draw feelings of success from.

Thank you again, I appreciate the insight and recommendations!

speckII

hope inputs help pick-integrate-plan as relevant,
do share feedbacks how true-false-insightful-helpful, traits-talents etc etc

asc lord sat own cap 11th with elevated mars,
gains from technology, entrepreneurial aptitudes, event management,
although with element of stress-struggle, methodical-disciplined,
mars aspect own aries 2nd supportive of finances,
while may not be good for health of family members;

mer acq 12th reformist aptitudes; acq asc scientific and innovative attitude;

jup-venus 2nd artistic, advisory-teaching and singing aptitudes;

sun-rahu-venus first impressive, dazzling personality;
aries-venus inimical for acq asc,
venus first house health issues, kidneys etc

sun-rahu NNode pisces first, seeking sensitivity in life, political aptitudes,
rise-fall in life, toxic health issues head-feet etc especially during childhood,
pray for welfare of ancestors, observe fast No-moon evenings taking milk-fruits;
wear brown hessonite over pendant;

ketu separative SNode virgo 7th, critical thinking-attitude,
good for audit-quality control roles, abdominal-intestinal pains etc,

currently ketu transit mer-acq 12th,
pain-injury-surgery head-feet-legs-sciatica-skin eruptions etc
prayers to Christ, offer red flowers wed evenings;

moon gemini 3rd, analytical, good at information processing,
confused at decision making roles,
aptitudes for teaching-singing-counseling-psycho analytics roles;

cancer 6th preference for sensitive work environments, diplomatic roles;

scorpio 9th research-occult aptitudes;
lord mars over cap 11th for gains from luck-edu-father-travels;

jup trine own sag 10th supportive of career;
jup now transit scorpio 9th for research-advisory roles;
year end jup moves to own sag 10th opp moon for career development;
wear yellow sapphire over jup finger, prayers to saint of your faith,
offer yellow flowers at the alter at home tues mornings;

sat now 2.5yrs transit own cap-natal sat 11th for gains,
gains from technology, old friends, old people;
wear blue sapphire and red coral over pendant for gains;
time to take long-term decisions of life;

could be inclined to industrial consultant as industrial psychologist,
organisation development-human resources dev-trainer-counselling roles

do ack, promptly share feedbacks,

wishing well, kshantaram
Thank you so much for this detailed response! I am going to spend some time today working through it, seeing what resonates, and noting the future dates you mentioned in my diary. I will share feedback when I've had the time to consider it all :)

waybread

Thanks, speckII. I was going to suggest working overseas for an NGO, but I assumed you'd already thought of that!

Another possibility would be working with immigrant communities where you live.

How do you feel about social work? This would require more schooling in a different field, but your anthropology should come in handy.

None of these jobs pays particularly well, which is why I thought about teaching internationally. Some of these jobs pay fairly well, and then you might be able to save money and indulge your love of travel. A teaching certificate would be an asset, but there are some one-year programs.

kshantaram

Premium Member
Appreciate the prompt ack,
do share feedbacks at the earliest, how true-false-insightful-helpful etc etc

wishing well, kshantaram