Chances of an earthquake/volcano eruption in Seattle

Munch

With all of these earthquakes around the world, I have begun to wonder about the one we've been expecting up here since I was a little girl.

We sit on the Juan De Fuca plate fault line and have two volcanoes that are connected with the ring of fire. We have been told that if we have 'The Big One' then we can expect, Tsunamis as well as BOTH volcanoes to blow.

Anyone want to look at my citie's chart with current transits.

I don't do Mundane Astrology (though, I am having my interest puiqued) so am not sure where to start.

I do see transiting pluto sitting right on Seattle's Mars in Cap. with transiting Uranus squaring the combo but that's all I've got.

I do not know what TIME Seattle was founded...

Attachments

• seattle.jpg
    seattle.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 33

BobZemco

I sure hope you and your family members are not in the Tsunami Zone.

I wouldn't bother with a city chart. Use the Aries Ingress Chart for your location or specifically for Portland or Seattle. What you're looking for is Planets conjunct the IC (Imum Coeli) or 4th House Cusp, particularly Mercury, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn and especially Mercury and Jupiter.

Jupiter in a Fixed Sign, especially Taurus is a good indicator of earthquakes and you'll see Jupiter move into Taurus shortly. Also when Jupiter is in a Fixed Sign, pay attention to Mercury conjunct, square or in opposition to Jupiter and even more so if Mercury is in parallel (same Declination) with Jupiter.

Because it's an Ingress Chart and not a Natal Chart, you direct it at the rate of 59'08" per day, so if you cast an Ingress Chart and Jupiter is in Taurus in the Ascendant, then you can eyeball the chart and see that Jupiter will move down and conjunct the IC in about 90 days and you can use the rate 59'08" to figure out exactly how many days after the Ingress when that will occur, then look at the Lunation Charts for that period and see what aspects exist from Planets in the Lunation Chart to Jupiter.

The Sign the Sun is transiting at the time a city is founded or settled represents the city, so if you think that day is accurate (but not the exact time), the Sagittarius represents Seattle.

You would want to pay attention to Eclipses and Stations that take place in Sagittarius. Don't bother with Stations, because I happen to know that the next Planetary Station in Sagittarius is Saturn and Venus will be Retrograde and in Partile Square with Saturn when he goes stationary, and he will be stationary for exactly 2 days which is 48 hours. I also happen to know that this would be Below Horizon for Seattle, so it won't affect you, but some city or country in the Southern Hemisphere will suffer (or benefit) for 48 days because of Saturn's Station.

If there's an Eclipse in Sagittarius (for a Lunar Eclipse Moon must be in Sagittarius) and it's Above Horizon it will affect Seattle. You'll to have to find the Event Ruler and figure out what it signifies.

rahu

Banned
hi munch
this is not a astrological reply, but the occurance of major temblors/tsunamis of seatlle is fairly well documented by the study of core samples along the coast.
i don't remeber the specifics off the top of my head but core samples have shown major earthquakes/tsumanis occur about every 300 years.
the last one was actually dated to the early 1700's because the harbor wave/tsunami from this quake was recorded in japan.so the exact date is known.

as the period of seismicity for this local is 300 years,seattle is in the time reference for another large one right now.

rahu

Munch

Bob! Wow, thank you!!!!!!

Rahu, we've been hearing about 'The Big One' for as long as I can remember. That's kinda why the curiosity with all of the quakes internationally. I'm sure they happen all the time, but at the magnitude....yowzers! :andy:

BobZemco

I should mention that some of the ancient texts say that the Sign of the Midheaven for the current ruling official also represents the political subdivision. That would mean that the Sign on the Midheaven for the mayor of Seattle would be significant when there are Eclipses and Stations.

I've never tested that, so I don't actually know if it works, but that is what is written.

This chart here is potentially problematic and sort represents what you'd be looking for.

attachment.php

You see Jupiter in a Fixed Sign (Taurus) more or less conjunct the Descendant. Venus is also in a Fixed Sign, and separating from Jupiter but still within the rays of Jupiter.

The problem potentially is when Jupiter swings all the way around to the 4th House. Just eyeballing the chart, that would be about 9 months, or in December 2012. You would use the rate of 59'08" to find the actual day when Directed Jupiter arrives at 10° Aquarius in the 4th House. Fortunately, you have the Midheaven at 18° Leo so Jupiter won't actually be conjunct the IC here, but still it is within Jupiter's orb of 12°. Mercury is not in parallel with Jupiter in this chart (Mercury at +4° and Jupiter at +14°) and that helps.

The other times would be when Directed Mercury squares Jupiter from the 4th House. I don't really see an earthquake here with just this. I would need to see the Lunations having an impact and they don't. The New and Full Moons for December 2012 are in Common Signs so they make no aspects to Jupiter or Directed Jupiter in the chart. That would also mean the quarterly phases of the Moon (when Moon squares Sun) would also take place in Common Signs.

Anyway, this chart kind of shows you what you're looking for, which is Planets, primarily Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and Mercury in Fixed Signs conjunct the Angles, especially the 4th House, and then later making aspects from Angle to the 4th House, or moving to the 4th House to make an aspect on the Angles.

A lot of Planets in Fixed Signs, and Lunations occurring in the 4th House also have been known to show earthquakes.

Attachments

• Seattle Aries Ingress.jpg
    Seattle Aries Ingress.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 213

Munch

Again, WOW! Thank you so much.

I will take some time over the next few weeks to digest this AND get into it myself. I'll be sure to update you on what I see, find or can corroborate.

I apologize that I am swamped at the moment, but I promise your time will not be wasted here. Your help, guidance and answers are appreciated very much.

Also, I don't live in the Tsunami zone, but I work right on the Puget Sound. I literally look out the office window at the sound, so yeah, it's kinda on my mind, lol. It's also a little troubling that our entire city is built on landfill. Kind of a big, 'errrmmm' thing. However, I suppose that is the risk you take when you live in one of the most beautiful places you could ever possibly imagine.

Last edited:

Munch

Hey Rahu, here's the chart. I see all of the the planets that you'd expect to see in hard aspect to each other. However it seems that they are in mutable signs with only the sun in a fixed one and joining the configuration by a trine and sextile. Venus is exalted at the apex of a t-square from Pluto/Neptune on one end and Jupiter/Uranus/Moon/NN/Chiron on the other and sitting on the chart vertex. The moon is not new.

I really wish I wasn't working so much and could actually look further into this right this second. Hopefully next week slows down so I can! Thank you so much Rahu!

Attachments

• seattletsunami.jpg
    seattletsunami.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 35

Mark

I think the moral of the story is: "If you live between two volcanoes and a tsunami zone, MOVE!"

Courtney Love

but it's so wonderful here... I love Seattle.

For the love of all that is holy I hope nothing happens, but I want to know in advance if it does!

Munch

Beyond beautiful and did you see the sunset today over the Olympics?!?! Holy all that is goodness batman! :tongue:

I am more curious than concerned. Death has never really been anything that scares me. It's inevitable so why not enjoy living just as you want while you can?

Mark

It's the same reason that I cannot feel pity for people who move to Hawaii, build their dream house on the side of an active volcano, literally setting the foundation into an old lava field, and one day wake up to find lava flowing through their living room. Erupting is what active volcanoes do. It is a known, scientific fact that it will only be a matter of time. The old, cold lava field tells you where the lava went the last time the volcano erupted. If you build your house there, you are free to choose that destruction if you want. I think I would rather live where the Earth itself doesn't occasionally kill people.

BobZemco

I'll give you something else here you can play with. This is the Total Solar Eclipse for August 30, 1905:

attachment.php

People, places, things, countries, even animals (as you'll see) are only affected by Eclipses that are Above Horizon (the Moon in a Lunar Eclipse).
The interpretation is taken from the Eclipse Point and the Eclipse Ruler.

To find the Eclipse Ruler, find the Planet that has the greatest dignity in the Eclipse Point and in the Angle nearest to the Eclipse. Sometimes that will be one Planet, sometimes two or More. In that Chart, Mercury rules the Eclipse Point because he is the Sign Ruler, the Exaltation Ruler and the Term Ruler. No other Planet has that much dignity in the Eclipse Point. The nearest Angle is the Ascendant. Saturn rules the Ascendant because he is the Exaltation Ruler, this is a Day Chart and he is the Sect Triplicity Ruler for Air, and he is the Term Ruler.

So Saturn and Mercury are the candidates for Eclipse Ruler. Between the two, Mercury is conjunct the Eclipse and is the Night Triplicity Ruler for Air Signs (the Ascendant). Saturn makes no aspects to the Ascendant or Eclipse Point, so Mercury is in the best position, and he is the Eclipse Ruler, but we should still look at Saturn because of his strong dignity in the Ascendant.

Now we look at the Signs. Mercury happens to be in the same Sign of the Eclipse so this will be easy. The Sign is Virgo. What do you know about the Sign?

Well, it is a Human Sign, it is a Terrestrial Sign (ie an Earth Sign) and it is a NOT a Mutable Sign, rather it is a Common Sign.

Saturn is in Aquarius. That is a Human Sign, a Violent Sign and a Fixed Sign.

Now we string those together to get a picture of what will happen.

Whatever this event signifies, it will affect Human Beings almost exclusively. We know that from the Human Signs, but which Human Beings? Virgo is a Common Sign (not a Mutable Sign), so it will affect all Human Beings equally, the rich and the poor and everyone in between, the young and the old and all those in between, the strong and the weak and all those in between, the Black and the White and Red and Brown and Yellow. Everyone in vulnerable here.

It is a Terrestrial Sign, so it will be something that comes from the Earth. That's very important when looking at Plagues and Pandemics. In Earth Sign means it comes from the Earth, meaning the Plague comes from the Earth as in Typhoid, E Coli or Salmonella and such bacteria and viruses. If it would be a Water Sign, we could think of things like Dysentery, Cholera, also again Typhoid, and other such diseases. An Animal Sign, like Taurus or Aries would indicate something from animals, like Swine Flu or Bubonic Plague, while an Air Sign might indicate airborne disease, and since all Air Signs are Human Signs, it implies person to person contact.

Some time ago, areas of the US and Canada experienced out of control cases of Feline Distemper that required domestic cats to be vaccinated and other precautions taken. I'd be looking for an Eclipse and Eclipse Rulers in Taurus or Aries (Domesticated Animals) and Leo (Wild Animals) as well as the last 20° of Sagittarius (Wild Animals), plus a Terrestrial/Earth Sign.

There are occasional blooms of "Red Algae" and for that you'd be looking at Pisces, which is a Common Sign and also represents Aquatic Life. For something more limited, perhaps Cancer.

For the demise of Bees/Bumble Bees, I'd be looking at a Solar Eclipse in Scorpio (a Water Sign and also represents Insects).

Capricorn is the Goat-Fish: Animals and Fish (Aquatic Life).

However, most events mixed with Terrestrial Signs and Violent Signs indicate earthquakes, tornadoes and the like. It would be interesting to look at the Fires in Chicago and London. I'd be looking at the first 10° of Sagittarius, which is a Human Sign (the last 20° are Wild Animal since Sagittarius is 1/3, uh, man-thing, I guess, and 2/3 bull or whatever he is), and also a Fire Sign and a Violent Sign, perhaps mixed with a Terrestrial Sign like Virgo.

Terrestrial Signs, Human Signs and Water Signs would indicate Cyclones, Monsoons and Hurricanes.

You just have to let your imagination run with it a bit. So here we have Terrestrial, Common, Human and Violent Signs (Virgo and Aquarius) mixed together) and Earthquake fits the bill.

When do the effects start to appear? It's 6 months from the Ascendant to the Midheaven, and then 6 months from the Midheaven to the Descendant. Begin more or less about halfway between the Ascendant and Midheaven, I'd say about 90 days after the Eclipse. The Eclipse was August 30, so about 90 days would be about November 30. I'm not some Seismologist or something, but I would suppose at that time earthquake swarms or maybe some small tremors began occurring leading up the main event, which would be the Great Quake of 1906 in San Francisco.

When will the events peak? To figure that out, we need to know the length of the Eclipse. I'm not some mathematician or something and calculating that is very tedious and requires a lot of math. Fortunately, you can know the length of a Lunar Eclipse because they publish that on any number of websites, and there's even a few that will tell you that. Unfortunately, the do not publish the length of Solar Eclipses, rather they give the length of time of the exact conjunction, which is usually only a few minutes. We need to know when the Moon first touches the Sun and when the Moon last touches the Sun.

Generally speaking, Lunar Eclipses last 90 minutes to 4 1/2 hours, and as a rule of thumb, partial Lunars are 90 minutes but Total Lunars are 4 1/2 hours. Solar Eclipses can last 90 minutes to 7 hours, and unfortunately, you can't base it on the type of Solar Eclipse, because it depends on how close the Moon is to Earth, or how far away the Moon is to Earth. When the Moon is close to Earth, a Solar Eclipse will last longer, than if the Moon is at its perigee and farther away from the Earth.

It's important to understand that Eclipses do not have the same duration for all people. A great is example is the upcoming Solar Eclipse. That is an Hybrid Eclipse. Why? Because some people on Earth will see it as an Annular Eclipse and to other people on Earth it will only appear as a Partial Solar Eclipse, and so the length of time of the Eclipse will vary greatly depending on where you are on Earth (and that is also true for Total Solar Eclipses).

But then that is logical, no? Did the Spanish Influenza Pandemic of 1919 affect every country on Earth?

Um, no, it did not. Why? Because if the Eclipse Sign has no affinity with your Ascendant, or the city, region or country you live in, or you cannot "see" the Eclipse because it is Below Horizon in your chart, then it has no affect on you or your city, or region or country (but some people can't get that through their thick skulls).

For the countries that were affected, did it start at the same time? No, did not, but then that is logical because the Eclipse would have appeared anywhere up in the 12th, 11th, 10th, 9th, 8th or 7th Houses in their specific charts.

Did it last the same amount of time for all countries affected? No, and again that is logical, since in one part of the world the Eclipse might have been 2 hours, but it was 2 1/2 hours in another part of the world and 4 hours in another part.

This Eclipse lasted a little over 90 minutes if you were in San Francisco (or along the West Coast of the US), so its effects would have lasted a little over 1 1/2 years.

To determine when the effects would peak, we look at the how long the effects will last in relation to when the event first starts to appear, and since the Eclipse Points is midway between the Ascendant and Midheaven and it will begin about 90 says or in the first 1/4 of the year (as measured from the Eclipse Date not the Calendar Year), we'd guess about 1/4 of the total length of time, or about 5 months or so. If it first manifests itself in late November, then it would peak 5 months later around late April the following year.

Now, all of this is based on San Francisco having affinity with Virgo, meaning that San Francisco was founded while the Sun was in Virgo (sometime in September) or that the mayor of San Francisco had a Virgo Midheaven (since he was the ruling authority of San Francisco).

However, there's something else you can also look at, and that is the Ingress for San Francisco:

attachment.php

Uh, oh. See the Virgo Descendant?

attachment.php

Now to get the timing for this Event, simply follow the Moon in an Ephemeris from the time of the Aries Ingress. Look at where the Moon is on April 6, 1906 on the day of the Great San Francisco Earthquake:

attachment.php

The Moon is in perfect conjunction with its own Eclipse Point.

Anyway, you do the same routine for Lunar Eclipses, the only difference is that the effects of a Lunar Eclipse are in months, not years. I should mention you are looking at the location of the Moon in an Lunar Eclipse, not the Sun, since it is the Moon that is actually being eclipsed (by the Earth's shadow).

For Planetary Stations, you go through the exact same drill, except that the effects are measured in days, not months or years. The time on Station is what you count as days, so if Jupiter or Saturn would be stationary for 56 hours, then that equates to 56 days for the effects.

Everything else is the same. If Saturn when stationary at 6° Virgo (using the Solar Eclipse Chart), then you would say the event will first start to manifest itself about 90 days after the station, it would last 56 days and it would peak about the 13th day or so.

Planetary Stations are often related to prominent news stories, like the death of a notable person, or an even like a school shooting, where you know it's in the news for a few days or weeks then disappears, and perhaps people still talk about for a few more days or weeks after it disappears from the news.

Attachments

• AI San Francisco.jpg
    AI San Francisco.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 183
  • TSE San Francisco.jpg
    TSE San Francisco.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 183
  • TSE-1 San Francisco.jpg
    TSE-1 San Francisco.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 22
  • TSE Moon.jpg
    TSE Moon.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 182

dr. farr

`I wonder if using the planetary monomoiria of the Point, rather than the term, might be even more specific? I wonder also if the sign-monomoiria of the Point (rather than the sign of the Point's placement) might focus in more clearly?

Note: I am only wondering (speculating); have not done any study regarding these 2 questions relative to eclipses...

Munch

Quite sadly, i am only just now getting to have some time to actually get into this. Still, thanks everyone for your time!

Since this is my first foray into Mundane Astrology, I have lots of questions.

This first question is why am I using an Aries Ingress chart as opposed to any of the others? My first temptation would be to go with Capricorn because the earth element, but maybe that is more of a knee jerk reaction based on modern astrology.

Why is Mercury so important in this? Is that simply for timing purposes?

Why direct it at the rate of 59'08" per day? How is the ascendant figured out?

What is a Lunation Chart?

Obviously I still have soooo much to learn!

Thanks!

dr. farr

The Chinese begin with the equivalent of our Capricorn; some ancients did also, and Charles Carter came to regard the Capricorn ingress as the most important for setting the tone for the forthcoming year; I myself have come to adopt this view, but, historically in Western and Vedic astrology, the Aries ingress has always dominated mundane thought and practice as being the "tone setting ingress" for the forthcoming year.
A Lunation chart is a mundane chart erected for Full and New Moon times, covering the forthcoming approximately 2 week period of time (for the area where it is erected, or for the country when it is erected for the capital of that country) I myself have many doubts about the importance of Lunation charts in mundane-but then my ideas here (in mundane) are radicalist, and directly led to controversies with owner/moderators at another astrology website from which I was banned (in 2010)...

BobZemco

This first question is why am I using an Aries Ingress chart as opposed to any of the others?

There are four uniquely observable phenomenon that occur each year. At the Vernal (Spring) Equinox, the Sun will rise on the Equator. Each day after that, the Sun will appear to rise slightly north of the Equator. It will continue to do so, until the Sun reaches its Northing Point and appears to stand still in the sky. That is the Summer Solstice and the longest day of the year. From that point on, the Sun will will rise a little farther south each day, until it once again rises exactly on the Equator. That is the Autumnal Equinox. The Sun will continue to rise a little farther south each day, until the Sun reaches its Southing Point and appears to stand still in the sky. That is the Winter Solstice and the shortest day of the year. From there, the Sun will appear rise each day a little farther north, until it once again rises on the Equator at the Vernal Equinox.

That's reversed for those people living in the Southern Hemisphere. Our Summer Solstice and longest day of the year is their Winter Solstice and shortest day of the year.

Those are your four points:

1] Spring Equinox
2] Summer Solstice
3] Autumn Equinox
4] Winter Solstice

Those are also the four Cardinal Points.

Aries rules the Spring Equinox, Cancer the Summer Solstice, Libra the Autumn Equinox, and Capricorn the Winter Solstice.

Now, a really, really dumb stupid person would make a idiotic comment like "The Signs have changed because of precession blah, blah, blah, blah" gag me with a spoon.

It doesn't matter. If the whole great galactic system sighs to a frozen halt in space, it wouldn't change the fact that Aries rules the Spring Equinox. Period. End of Story.

The Spring Equinox was always the start of the New Year, right up until around the 790s or so, when one of the Popes changed it to January 1.

Just like you do your Solar Return Chart for the day the Sun returns to the degree of your Natal Chart, the Aries Ingress is the Solar Return for Earth.

In Mundane Astrology, you cast an Aries Ingress Chart and use that to make predictions. That chart is the base chart for the year. If there is a Common Sign on the Ascendant, then you'll need to cast a chart for the Libra Ingress, which would effectively be a Semi-Solar Return.

There are other base charts too, like the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction that occurs about every 20 years, and the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction in a new Triplicity (about every 240 years) and then the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction in the first Term of Aries (about every 960 years).

There are also Ascensional Charts for when someone comes to power. I've been working with Political Parties in the US instead of individual presidents and that's coming along real nice, so I think we might be able to better predict presidential elections based on the Ascension Chart of a Political Party, rather than a specific individual. Basically, will the party continue to rule or not is the question.

If there is a Moveable Sign on the Ascendant, then you cast an Ingress chart for all four Cardinal Points.

The Lunation Charts are just New Moon Charts. There 13 New Moons each year, and sometimes there are two New Moons in a single month, and that 2nd one is called a Blue Moon (hence the expression "once in a Blue Moon") and they are rare and need to have attention paid to them.

My first temptation would be to go with Capricorn because the earth element, but maybe that is more of a knee jerk reaction based on modern astrology.

What you are looking for with Eclipses is a conjunction on the Angles. A conjunction means a conjunction. This is the June 1 Solar Eclipse. It occurs in Gemini which has affinity with the United States, because the Sun was transiting Gemini when the US was founded.

attachment.php

This is the Libra Ingress Chart. The Solar Eclipse is conjunct an Angle, specifically the Midheaven.

attachment.php

This is the Cancer Ingress Chart. The Solar Eclipse is NOT conjunct an Angle:

attachment.php

Of the Ingress Charts that cover the period of the Eclipse, which is about 2-3 years, only one, the Libra Ingress for 2011 has the Eclipse conjunct an Angle.

To time the event, you look at the Lunation Chart for the New Moon following the Ingress and see when the Moon conjuncts the Eclipse/Midheaven point.

That date is October 16, 2011.

Why is Mercury so important in this? Is that simply for timing purposes?

In Traditional Astrology, well, I don't want to give you the impression that House Rulers aren't important, but for many things you use the Almuten. That is the secret to correctly interpreting any number of types of charts.

For example, in a Natal Chart, the Planet that rules the Midheaven is not as important as the Planet that has the greatest Dignity in the Midheaven, because it's that Planet that actually "rules" Midheaven.

Same with the Ascendant. The Planet that rules the Ascendant is important, but the Planet that has the greatest Dignity in the Ascendant is more important, and will actually control or determine a number of things related to the Ascendant.

You could equate Dignity to Strength I suppose. Venus might rule Libra on the Ascendant, but Saturn is the Exaltation Ruler. In a Day Chart, Saturn would also be the Sect Triplicity Ruler and if the Ascendant is in the later degrees, Saturn will also probably be the Term Ruler.

So, Saturn rules 3 points in the Ascendant, but Venus only one point. Saturn will have much more influence over the Ascendant than Venus could ever hope to have.

It's very similar to Modern Astrology's "Final Dispositor."

Why direct it at the rate of 59'08" per day?

There are 360° and 365.25 days and when you divide that, you get 59'08" as a daily rate of direction. If you direct Mars to the conjunction of Saturn, and then you look at the New Moon Chart nearest to that date, and then use the Moon as a timer to get an idea of when something will happen.

How is the ascendant figured out?
Same way you figure out a Solar Return Ascendant for a Natal Chart.

If you don't know how to do the stubby pencil method, there's lots of software that will either calculate Ingress or Lunation Charts for you, and if not, then just cast a chart and "step-through" the chart until the Moon conjuncts Sun (New Moon), opposes Sun (Full Moon), squares Sun (Quarters), or until the Sun gets to 0° Aries 01' or 0° Libra 01' or whatever Ingress you want.

What is a Lunation Chart?

A Moon Chart. Usually it's the New Moon, but if you start getting into weather prediction, it would be the New Moon, Full Moon, and the two Quarterly Moons.

There's a guy with a couple of boats on Siesta Key near Sarasota, Florida who will take you out anywhere you want to go (I don't think he does chartered fishing) and he uses astrology to predict weather and ignores the NWS and NCOA. He took us out to dump someone's ashes in the Gulf one day. Claims he never lost a boat. If that's true, then he would be among one of the few that hasn't.

Attachments

• US Solar June 2011.jpg
    US Solar June 2011.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 171
  • US Libra Eclipse.jpg
    US Libra Eclipse.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Failed Angle.jpg
    Failed Angle.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 164