Moon in Cancer

Astropithecus

I have Moon in Cancer in the 7th conjunct Mars in the 6th Opp Asc Capricorn.
I have a great sense of humor and generally do care a great deal about those closest to me but I would never show it :lol:

And I think that's a very Cancerish thing, being hard on the outside as a result of the sensitivity we experience.

JUPITERASC

I have Moon in Cancer in the 7th conjunct Mars in the 6th Opp Asc Capricorn.
I have a great sense of humor and generally do care a great deal about those closest to me but I would never show it :lol:

And I think that's a very Cancerish thing, being hard on the outside as a result of the sensitivity we experience
To consider a thorough delineation of Moon in Cancer:

Note the natal house and sign location of natal Jupiter as well as aspects to and from natal Jupiter

- because Cancer is the exalted home of Jupiter
:smile:

warmbaths85

I've Moon in Cancer in my 3rd house, trining Pluto in Scorpio in my 7th and opposing Neptune in Capricorn in my 9th house.

I have the all the same position/ angles. Childhood was awkward to say the least. But I kinda think having it in the 3rd house is more of relief. I think Ive gotten better at sorting my emotional experiences in adulthood but things do tend to revert if I'm under too much stress.

warmbaths85

To consider a thorough delineation of Moon in Cancer:

Note the natal house and sign location of natal Jupiter as well as aspects to and from natal Jupiter

- because Cancer is the exalted home of Jupiter
:smile:

I have Jupiter in sextile to Saturn luckily but unfortunately squaring off with Pluto. 9th house

Feelemji

I've Moon in Cancer in my 3rd house, trining Pluto in Scorpio in my 7th and opposing Neptune in Capricorn in my 9th house.
I HATE being a Moon in Cancer. If i'm given a chance to change something in my chart, i'll change it simply. It makes very emotional and sensitive person. With its opposition to Neptune in Capri in 9th, sometimes i'm extremely depressed over stupid, trivial things and become sorrowful. I dont know what exactly can it mean with its trine with Pluto in Scorpio, i'm sure about one thing that i dislike my moon in cancer so much. Since, 3rd house is also your primary age, and moon in cancer being there, my childhood was exremely emotional and sensitive. Even if my classmates teased me or say something naughty, i used to take them very seriously. I have controlled this thing to great extent but i obviously cannot run away from it. So, i sometimes have depression in cycles.
It has its good qualities too but in my case, i dislike its negative things more than liking its positive traits.

Peace.
Sanaqua

Hi.
As per vedic astrology we note where moon sits from its place. Here in 3rd it is in 12 from its native house.
Gives negative more. Now the negative kind is depends on ehich sign it is. This is why given you lesser peaceful sleep most of the time.
Not so positive relations with mother.
Desires from life are more in personality.

sandrang123

Earth Sign,

I have Sun in Leo, Moon in Pisces (and Libra rising): I can't say it's always the easiest to have a sun in fire and moon in water (conflicting elements) but I do believe my Moon tempers my Sun quite a bit and lessens some of the, shall we say, less desirable aspects of Leo (haughtiness, bossiness, etc.) Actually, my Libra rising probably tempers the Leo sun, too, given that Libras are known for fairness and balance and soft approaches.

Here's the thing with the watery moon: People often think I'm a lot more gregarious (Leo) or heady (airy Libra) than I really am and they often don't see how easily my feelings are hurt, so there's a definite secretive quality to the Pisces moon/keeping feelings to oneself, or trying to (and perhaps not unexpectedly, given Pisces natural 12 house placement). I also always joke that I have a "hermit's soul" and I definitely--definitely!--need to retreat and spend time alone to refuel my energy. I don't get overly moody, but I do get pensive and philosophical and very weirdly universal in my considerations of things. The best (and worst) aspect of the Pisces moon is that I pick up on *other* people's feelings/moods so easily. It's nice to be intuitive, but it ***** to feel "whammied" just because I step outside the door and random people walk by me and I somehow absorb their energy. Hence, my push pull between being social and friendly and being a total recluse.

Interesting discussion.

All Best,
Sandy

It seems to me that the Moon causes problems when it's in any Water sign. I have the Moon in Scorpio, and I'm prone to explosive emotional scenes and and violent reactions, never within my control, at least, never easily in my control. My mother has the Moon in Pisces, and she has told me that she, too, was very emotional in her earlier years. For a long time we thought that my brother also had the Moon in Pisces, but he never showed the emotional side of a Water sign Moon. His emotions were always well reasoned, and if he ever got emotional it was through a more universal set of values, never instinctual. Two other calculators gave him the Moon in Aquarius, and we agree.

Water sign Moons may be the most difficult to manage because we are so close to our emotions and deal with them on the lowest level. We have a strong attachment to them, and they run through our veins like blood. To detach ourselves from emotions would seem like such an alien concept, it would be more like ignoring them to us, and emotions are things that can't be ignored for very long or with very good results. When I ignore my emotions they usually just come back in force.

Comparing my own emotional process to my brother's, I know that my emotions absorb me and my reasons while his stay below him and his reasons, where they should be. I know that he lets a lot of things slide when I would revive them for some imaginary sense of justice that is both unnecessary and painful to all parties, but for some reason I can't let go.

I'm not sure if the case is the same for everyone with the Moon in a Water sign, or if it's even the same for everyone with the Moon in Scorpio, but I do know that there's a similar emotional pull between all of us.

I'm worried that my Astrology guru, Carl Payne Tobey, may have held bias against the position Moon in Cancer, as with the sign Cancer altogether. He has written that no sign is better than any other, and any time it sounded as if he was getting down on one it was his subjective bias. The articles he's written on certain signs project a crude attitude toward them. Tobey had the Moon in Capricorn, and Venus in Pisces as a Water singleton, so he may have had trouble understanding the principles of this sign.

[deleted quotes over 100 words against forum rules - Moderator]

Tobey worked with two other astrologers closely, both of whom had the Moon in Cancer. They were Sydney K. Bennett, and Grant Lewi, and they both felt differently about this sign.

[deleted quote over 100 words against forum rules - Moderator]

AquaMoonChild

My Mother was a moon in cancer scorpio sun. My son is a moon in cancer in the 8th, leo sun and scorpio rising. The both had/ have a very intense display of emotions. When mad throwing things across the room. My mother would break plates and throw lamps whenever upset. The scorpio energy probably encouraged this. My niece is a cancer moon Aquarius sun. She only cries quietly over friends and family and hates letting people see it. No outburst at least as an adult. They were all very needy children. Could never play by themselves. One thing is for sure though. They are the best people to have in your life. They are the most loving and best friends which is probably why they have so many. Every cancer moon I know has always had a large circle of family and friends who adore them and vice versa. I think this is a very fortunate placement because of that.

CapAquaPis

In my life cycle: the first, 12th, 24th and 36th year of my life in a natal chart cycle is Cancer (it starts by the personal, rising or ascendant sign). Aquarius is a substitute, also your sun sign. And Scorpio, my ruler planet Uranus. With my Aquarius moon conjunct sun, I have more a Lunarian and Cancerian nature or I'm more emotional/psychological than being an Aquarius (sun sign) person. The Cancer/Aquarius/Scorpio years are the most epic years of my life with an extreme, dramatic and life-changing event or two. My 3rd, 15th and 27th year were Aquarian years, so are my 7th, 19th and 31st years, now I'm age 38 and expects my 39th year in the world (I was born Feb 15, 1980) to be rather easy on me and nothing to be negative, pessimistic or worrisome about 2019. Edit: More like every 12 years before 2020, the year of the COVID pandemic and I was (mildly) infected by it in Jan 2021.

Last edited:

Ness22

Thank you for this message. It made my day.
Yes, cancer moons can be very moody and having this placement can drive one craxy because of that, and so I've hated having it most of the time.
But this post opened my eyes to all the positive aspects of it. Yes, we are very deep and caring people, but more often than not, such qualities are not valued in this dog eats dog world, and it leads to us being taken advantage of.
So, I don't know if having this placement is a great thing, but it does make me caring towards my friends and family and given me a love of animals.

Ness22

Water moons are empathic is what you're saying, I feel .... (note I said `feel' and not `think' - that's empathy @ work :tongue:)

And Earth Sign, I'd rather have 10 Cancer Moons than one of your Scorpio Moons any day. From my perspective Cancer Moon really feels and tunes in to the emotional state of the environment, and this can sometimes be painful, and is almost always confusing, while Scorpio Moon goes so much further by wanting to act on what they feel. It's the `desire to put things right' which can drive a Scorpio Moon person to distraction. :andy:

Yeah, I'm a cancer moon and I have a lot of mood swings and emotional ups and downs, but I had this scorpio moon friend who had the same, only I felt like the emotions were more violent and aggressive and she got vengeful when someone angered her or things didn't go her away. It was scary.
Even though cancer moon is an emotional placement, it is cardinal, so we tend to let go of things even if it doesn't seem like it.

Ness22

My Mother was a moon in cancer scorpio sun. My son is a moon in cancer in the 8th, leo sun and scorpio rising. The both had/ have a very intense display of emotions. When mad throwing things across the room. My mother would break plates and throw lamps whenever upset. The scorpio energy probably encouraged this. My niece is a cancer moon Aquarius sun. She only cries quietly over friends and family and hates letting people see it. No outburst at least as an adult. They were all very needy children. Could never play by themselves. One thing is for sure though. They are the best people to have in your life. They are the most loving and best friends which is probably why they have so many. Every cancer moon I know has always had a large circle of family and friends who adore them and vice versa. I think this is a very fortunate placement because of that.

I'm not sure I agree with this.
Because, being a cancer moon, I was always able to make friends effortlessly since childhood, but keeping them was another thing.
And more often than not, I always did and still do get taken advantage of for being caring and giving towards people.
One has to be careful with this placement and being generous, I would say. It attracts people who are parasitic and could have bad intentions. (my experience).

R4VEN

I'm not sure I agree with this.
Because, being a cancer moon, I was always able to make friends effortlessly since childhood, but keeping them was another thing.
And more often than not, I always did and still do get taken advantage of for being caring and giving towards people.
One has to be careful with this placement and being generous, I would say. It attracts people who are parasitic and could have bad intentions. (my experience).

The bold part of the above quote is done by me, because I feel that Ness22 has made an important observation there. The empathy, the ability to feel (often unconsciously) what others are feeling certainly attracts its share of users and parasites. [To illustrate, I left my marriage over 36 years ago, after 14 draining and confusing years. It was only recently - within the past 3 months - that I have learned/twigged that my ex is a narcissist. He saw me as someone he could mine, harvest and use for (chiefly) money, and anything else he could get out of me.]

Revisiting this thread, I have given the Moon in Cancer some thought. Not only will the house in which the Cancer Moon resides influence its expression, but also any aspects it makes - especially to an active planet such as Mars, or a powerful transforming planet like Pluto - as well as the rising sign, and the chart ruler's sign and house. That combo is quite complex once you manage to weave it all together.

I also find that, given Cancer has a powerful connection with the past, those with Moon in Cancer will often have emotional connections with objects which remind them of the past - such as photographs, or sentimental objects. It is common to find that people who collect stuff - such as menus, or sound recordings, or objects like ornaments of owls, or elephants, of frogs, have significant Cancer planets, and often the Moon.

Then there's the connection to the mother or mothering figure. Those with Moon in Cancer are generally deeply affected by their mothers, although this is not always in a positive or uplifting way. One of my nieces married a man with Moon in Cancer. When I asked this man about his relationship with his mother, his reply was: "I really love my Mum," and this statement was accompanied by a goofy grin. :tongue:

Claire19

the Moon in Cancer depends on the aspects it make elsewhere. It is the domestic and family influence and unless making negative contact with Venus or Saturn it will be a nurturing sign, sensitive and domestic and works with gut instinct. It can be clingy or moody and be a smother mother but again the chart has to be seen. It also to some degree describes the mother and the domestic upbringing and habits.

Bunraku

I disagree. The only reason why it has that reputation is because most of these authors who write descriptions about Cancer are MALE.And so they say negative things about femininity because of their hatred for women in general.

In my experience Cancers are the most caring, lovely, responsible, and intelligent people i've ever met.