What happened to my computer?

C

coffee

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:

Bobbi

Hi Coffee,

MERCURY IS RETROGRADE !!!!!!!!! Did you buy your computer on a Mercury Retro ???? Where is Mercury in your chart & hows it doing at the moment ?

Love Bobbi xoxox

Derestanne

Coffee,

Remove the battery and see if it will start on the power supply. If it does, the battery is bad. If it doesn't, the power pack may be toast. Try substituting a different power pack that is the correct type for your notebook.

If still nothing, try carefully jumping out the start button for just a moment. If that also fails, suspect the mother board. A virus could be involved and the EEPROM Chip could have been corrupted. But if the mother board won't even POST (power on self test) you may never get it back to life without replacing the mother board.

If your computer is still under any Warranty, do not open any foil sealed access plates or attempt to jump the start button. Doing this will void the warranty in a "New York" minute! Removing the battery from it's compartment will not void the Warranty and removing or upgrading drives or RAM will not void the Warranty.

Last edited:

Nexus7

Ooooohh!!

Can I have a horary for my PC too?

18.12, 11th Feb, Budapest if anyone wants to bite.

I have up-to-date antivirus software, anti spyware, but my PC still keeps periodicícally going absolutely haywire.

My mouse suddenly develops a mind of its own, a million windows and taskbars appear at lightning spped and my internet pages keep getting whisked away as I am trying to write something.

This has been going on for over 3 weeks now. I did try a system restore, but it would not 'let' me.

I wonder if it not something to do with he USB cable from my PDA causasingthe problem, as this seems to be when he problems started.

Thanks!

tikana

Coffee

you do not need someone to go into your computer and infect it .. you can write a simple virus that will destroy your motherboard inside of the webpage.
it is not difficult. scarry thing is anti-virus software even as good as McAffee and Norton cannot catch all them

T

tikana

Nexus7 said:
....pretty please. And today is Feb 17th, not Feb 11th.

Nexus

you have a spyware not a virus.. anti-virus software is pretty helpless

go download windows defender and McAfee anti-spyware.. DO NOT install nor run it until you are in safe mode.. reboot your computer as soon as it starts to reboot keep pushing f8 key it will ask you if you want to go into safe mode..say yes .. and pick the one that says WITHOUT network. then go into windows and install both of the software.. let them run .. after your harddrive is cleaned remove all the cookies and history off your browser .. if you are on IE it should be in internet options.. history will be on a firs tab. click on delete button right under History. Temp internet files, cookies should be deleted.. and change the default into delete after 1 day.. .. both should kill the problem.. then reboot your computer.. it shoudl fix it .. if not .. you need someone who will take your harddrive out and clean it on another computer. I wouldnt suggest you to do anything more advanced .. you might ruin your computer

T
*IT junkie by professional addiction*

archergirl

Your computer is 2ND house, not 3rd. Your laptop is a 'thing that you own'. It's the thing you're concerned with, not what it *does*, which would indeed be 3rd.

AG:)

Nexus7

Thanks for the hint Tikana, I will try that.

Interestingly, the only time a really malicious virus got into my PC was when Mars made a stationary transit to my Mercury. I was lucky not to have to get a new hard drive....

Derestanne

Gee, I'm away from home a couple hours and look what happens! Don't know where to begin!

Coffee, that was semi-pro computer experience, not astrology! OK, so now you know the battery is bad. You're stuck with a wall socket until the battery is replaced. As for delete key, this could be the detete key is "sticking" or is worn or a tiny metallic object fell into the keyboard (like a metal staple) and is shorting out the keyboard. A keyboard cleaning may be necessary. You can get instruction on the internet to do this, but it might be best to have a shop do it because notebook keyboards are delicate.

You can find out quickly if the built in keyboard is the problem by briefly connecting an external keyboard. Not all notebooks will permit this. You may have to use a combination of Keys such as "Control" and "F6" or "Alt" and "F8", etc. to tell your notebook to set for an external keyboard. Some computers have to be instructed to do this via a BIOS adjustment. If you don't know anything about BIOS, don't access it because one wrong move could make an even bigger mess of things.

If you have or can find the original manual for your Notebook Computer, it may have instructions on connecting and setting up an external keyboard.

If you connect an external keyboard, certainly you want to play with the delete key on the external board and observe how your notebook behaves. If the delete key problem promptly stops with an external keyboard then it is clear that the notebook keyboard is the problem. Clean it or replace it.

Hi Nexus, it is my understanding that PDA's can become infected and transfer the infection to a computer. And some MP3 Players can too, so they say. Tikana is most probably correct, you likely have all kinds of adware and spyware that has fouled up Windows to the point where System Restore won't remedy the problem. I am familiar with the unstable Windows condition you mention. The last time I had to deal with this, the adware, spyware and Virus infection was so bad (multiple infections) that Windows would not cooperate even in Safe Mode. My only choice was to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows. This is not a great way to go and many tekkies insist it is almost never necessary to re-install Windows. But those who say this are Masters at hard drive salvage. If you have your original Windows Disk, you can also attempt to boot up from the CD-ROM or an external USB Drive and "repair" Windows with a new copy of the System Registry. Make sure you have your Windows Key Code handy!

In addition to the Programs Tikana mentioned, AD-AWARE is very INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH at removing these pesky things. You can get Ad-Aware at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Look for the green download button for "Ad-Aware Free Download" at the top right of the homepage.

If a program like Ad-Aware cannot restore your computer to normal performance and a re-install of Windows becomes necessary, you should do a "low level" format to wipe the Drive of infections. There is a program called "Killdisk.exe" available free on the Internet that will clear your drive of malicious software and virus. But I hope it won't come to anything this drastic!

For future reference, and great advise from the "Pro's", try the Computing.Net Forum: http://www.computing.net They have walked me through some really bad problems!

Nexus7

Derestanne

A website that helps with PC's! Now we're talking. I uploaed Lava a while back, but that did not seem to work either. The thought of reinstalling everything from scratch has got me blanching - I have had so many hassles with internet banking it is not true, installing it, reinstalling it.

Though last time I had major problems with my PC - it kept switching off - I searched in vain for viruses, one in particular given the name of the male member, but none emerged - then it turned out my motherboard was fried. A little learning and all that. Not long before, a malfunctioning clock on the electric meter nearly blew up the whole block of flats I live in.

I will get a powerful anti spyware and try it in safe mode, which I have not tried yet.

I have never actually got any dodgy emails or spam on my PDA, though could be there was somthing iffy about the navigator.

OK I know this is not really about astrology, but then Mercury is retro after all. That's my excuse for geeking out, anyway.

Derestanne

Nexus,

Hey, we can talk about this - we're in the "Other Topics" Section where we belong.

I don't like the sound of "...a malfunctioning clock on the electric meter nearly blew up the whole block of flats I live in". It is very sad how much electronics goes up in smoke because of power spikes in electric utility company lines. I assume that you use a surge suppressor (but even these cannot work miracles if the line voltage in your neighborhood often goes above around 10% of maximum value).

Go ahead with loading the anti-spyware software in safe mode. If you do this and your system achieves stability, I suggest creating a new Restore Point (in Windows XP) and call it something like "System After Being Purged Of Spyware".

Let us know what happened after you take this next step. If it should end in no remedy then I highly recommend you go to Computing.Net, explain your symptoms and see what advise you can get from those experts.

Good Luck - And Goodbye Mercury Retrograde Tomorrow!

tikana

Derestanne

i wouldnt even go that far..system restore shortkey is easy for you and me since we know these things.. for me, it is an occupational hazard

For her .. she will get lost i almost guarantee you that. Not SAYING she is stupid or dumb it is just we know what it is .. and how to approach the problem.. cleaning harddrive from spyware goes about 60 bucks or something in LA at least... it will be relativly cheap in EU since 2 out of 3 teens are into computers

T

Derestanne

Tikana,

I certainly agree with you. There are plenty of teen geeks here in the USA too, in your neighborhood (and probably next door to you)!

But I also don't find anything wrong with learning to win the arm wrestle with Windows. My wife and I are always going back and forth with the computers. "How did you do that?" is something I hear often. And while she's watching, I go - "Like this, and like this, and like this". And then she gets it!

System Restore is about as hard as the cruise control on a Cadillac. Go to the "Start" Button, choose "Help And Support", type in "System Restore Wizard" and follow the instructions. I have a System Restore Icon on my Desktop because I do a lot of experimenting with software. When something doesn't go right I just choose a restore point that works the way I want.

tikana

Derestanne

lol i try to stay away from my comrades - comp geeks.. LOL if i start talking to a comrade it is neverendng conversation.. we start at network security and end up talking about 3d animaitons.. I luv computers but it is just hazzard.. i fall asleep with my laptop on my bed. my x used to say "i am sharing my bed with 2 computers. one is walking another is sitting" If i am away from a computer for more than 1 hour i get withdrawls like a drug addict.. it is horrible.. lol and it is ridiculous.. LOL I went to fix someone's computer 3 weeks ago at 2 am! my neice laughed hysterically when i told her what i was doing at 2 am. I have been like this since 1994, since i got out of HS. Now, i have 5 computers + 2 laptops at home in 2 different rooms doing different things.. If i see a normal dream, i think what the hell is going on.. usually my dreams are in C++/Javascript/PHP languages. sometimes i see solutions to a specific problem in my dreams...

i dont recommend anyone to do system restore UNLESS it is absolutely neccassary. if the spyware/virus active, they will modify themselves and clone themselves and get into new registry again! you do not know what file or what sort of a file is triggering the spyware activation. It could be .dll/.exe/.asp or even as innocence looking as .mp3

Tik

Last edited:

Derestanne

tikana said:
Derestanne

lol i try to stay away from my comrades - comp geeks.. LOL if i start talking to a comrade it is neverendng conversation.. we start at network security and end up talking about 3d animaitons.. I luv computers but it is just hazzard.. i fall asleep with my laptop on my bed. my x used to say "i am sharing my bed with 2 computers. one is walking another is sitting" If i am away from a computer for more than 1 hour i get withdrawls like a drug addict.. it is horrible.. lol and it is ridiculous.. LOL ... Tik
I've got Jupiter in Gemini in my 9th House. Computers have become an important part of my life but Neptune and Saturn conjunct in Libra does prevent me from becoming an over the top addict. When I get tired at the end of the day I meditate and go to bed. I don't lie awake at night counting RAM Chips, LOL!

tikana said:
i dont recommend anyone to do system restore UNLESS it is absolutely neccassary. if the spyware/virus active, they will modify themselves and clone themselves and get into new registry again! you do not know what file or what sort of a file is triggering the spyware activation. It could be .dll/.exe/.asp or even as innocence looking as .mp3

Tik
This has definitely happened to me in Windows 98 but not in Win XP (I imagine it's just a matter of time). When that happened in Win 98 I tracked the little buggers down with Regedit and deleted them. That immediately pulled the plug on the spyware reloading. But I know this can happen; a calculated risk, in my own opinion. That's what makes malicious-ware so !#%%*!$ hideous and disgusting! I do everything I can to avoid suspect Websites and always run Ad-Aware immediately after I visit any new websites or download anything new. :D

tikana

Des

LOL LOL LOL
hahahha

i cant get away ... i need a new addiction.. comp stuff is getting a bit too old.. lol

i have pluto on border with 3rd .. sun/moon/nnode/uranus/merc in 3rd
merc/uranus conj uranus/sun conj sun/moon conj moon/nnode conjunct lol try to get away from computers with my chart.
jupiter in 9th
mars in 11th

serious computer stuff addictions! work hazards!

i hardly ever sleep .. i cannot fall asleep without a laptop near me.. i can tell in my dream who is IMing me.. lol.. it is some serious addiction...

countng ram is nothing .. my friend from GE told me once that when he was dating his gf (his ex now) he was making out and he said he was thinking of his new computer he was building.. I saw that toy i was like "DUDE, how did you come up with this configuration?" he said "while i was making out with my gf" he has dual Graphic cards NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 *about 3 grand* and 1.5 gb quadro FX 5600 for another another 3 grand . dual CPU AMD plus 3 superfast harddrives 128 GB on Ram... 2 monitors, soundcard cost like 500 bucks with full home theater hooked up to plasma TV which is hooked to playstation 2 and Xbox with this funky gaming chair. full scale insanity.. the whole setup is worth like 25 grand or something if not more.. he bought a house flipped it and used all the profit money to soundproof his house and get all the stuff for his computer.. His gf thought he was going to marry her.. he came to her house once he was all excited and out of a breath.. she thought he was going to pop a question.. he said let's go to my house i gotta show you something.. lol after he brougth her in and she saw the computer heaven she got mad and dumped him. he was heartbroken for a week the started laughing hysterically. serious stuff! he is not a gamer..he did very well in programmiing back in the 90s. now he is into recording music for diff bands. so they record songs in the middle of a night. awww my heaven! lol

T

Nexus7

I don't like the sound of "...a malfunctioning clock on the electric meter nearly blew up the whole block of flats I live in".

Derstanne

This is the third time I have tried to answer this. I have had my response whisked away twice already now, just as I was nearly finishing it. I know that some astrologers pooh-pooh the idea that Mercury retro really can make communicating troublesome and that it is more to do with human laziness, but this time round has been a toughie.

I have one or two viruses of my own and do not fell fit enough just yet to try anything heavy-duty with my PC. When exactly is Merc going direct again?

I was going to say that according tho the caretaker, both the plumbing and the wiring in this block of flats are shot, but there is not really the money around to do much about it.

Nexus7

OK: update on my PC saga.

After this morning's traumas I decided not to wait or for a better time. I downloaded Lavasoft again, went into Safe Mode and ran it. Nothing critical it seems, just loads of dodgy cookies, which supposedly are got rid of.

The instability of my desktop followed me with a vengeance even in Safe Mode, however. I ran the anti-virus too, though.

Now (so far) my PC is behaving, but wonder how long that will be for.