non-traditional horary

rahu

Banned
does anyone know of nontraditional horary websites.
i just can't accept ignoring the modern planets even if it throws the beautiful symetry of traditional horary techniques off.the influence of the modern planets is so self evident,it makes no sense to me that they have no affect in horary.
rahu

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
I think you will find that even *modern horarists* stick by the traditional rules but *include* the outers. Some modern horarists may use the rulerships of the outers instead of the traditional house rulers.
No matter what kind of astrologer one aspires to become, a thorough knowledge of basic traditional methods is essential..I would advise people to start with basic traditional methods and move to modern inclusions from there if thats what they've decided on.
Cheers Lillyjgc

Culpeper

Premium Member
The outer planets are unnecessary in horary, but should you feel you must use them: Uranus is like Mercury and Mars, Neptune is like Venus and the Moon, and classical Pluto is natural significator of the dead, wealth, and things invisible or secret. They rule nothing and should be treated like the fixed stars.

As an example, if Venus is a significator in a chart and is conjunct Neptune then the strength of Venus will be increased. When with an unrelated planet; however, there may be no effect at all. In mundane astrology and weather charts, these outer planets are very active when they are in any of the essential dignities of the those planets with which they are in sympathy or in close aspect with them. I have sometimes found this to be true of horary charts as well.

rahu

Banned
thanks for the feedback all,
i realize the basic traditional technique is essential in horary.my quandry is how to integrate the unconscious planets.thanks culpepper for your insights and everyone else who has responded.
rahu

archergirl

I would add to Culpeper's bit with this:

I use the traditional planets and tend to ignore the 'modern' planets except when a modern planet conjuncts either a relevant significator or a relevant angle, most specifically the polar angles (1st/4th/7th/10th) when the question is in regards to one of these angles (e.g. relationships or career etc.).

They can add something to a horary reading in these cases, e.g. when the Moon is conjuncting Pluto, one might ask about the querent's unhealthy obession with something; or Neptune conjunct the Ascendant angle, question the querent's unrealistic expectations or fantasizing, or Uranus on the 7th angle signifying a divorce, etc.

The way I see it, if the modern planet is just floating around in the 6th house, say, but the question is about something else unrelated to the 6th and it isn't conjuncting a significator, I leave it alone. It's adding nothing. So Culpeper is right in that modern planets act very much like fixed stars in a horary chart.

Deb Houlding uses them much like this, to great effect.

Cheers,
AG:)

pwadm

Staff member
Yeah, I know one. This site. You will find horary examples that include even Chiron, Lilith, I think Ceres also. I think horary is part of astrology and as such it may benefit from astrological advancement. It all needs an open minded interpreter.

I agree with all previous respondents on this thread though:
- I stick with Lilly in that traditional horary is the basis: the rule is start from the beginning and advance one little step at a time
- I agree with Culpeper in that horary questions may be answered without the outer planets; however using the outer planets, and even adding the most specific asteroids, can give you a complete picture and help the interpretation by providing support and confirmation, on one hand and expanding the interpretation into esoteric and other challenging fields of knowledge;
- I think that archergirl explains clearly the importance of using only the "topic specific" modern additions in astrology or only otherwise very proeminent influences that stand out in the horary chart, as they obviously have something important to say

So it all sums up to finding your own way, depending on how rigourous or expansive you are.

In the end, what seems to matter most is coming up with the right answer.

Yet, most times the questioner doesn't only want to know "what" but also "why". This is where I think these extra elements show their true value, by adding extra hints on the situation and offering support for a complex, exhaustive perspective on the situation inquired about.

rahu said:
does anyone know of nontraditional horary websites.
i just can't accept ignoring the modern planets even if it throws the beautiful symetry of traditional horary techniques off.the influence of the modern planets is so self evident,it makes no sense to me that they have no affect in horary.
rahu