Other studies

sam

Being that most of you are wonderful, open minded people, what other divinatory/occult subjects do you study?

I've finally gotten the basics of astrology down (only took me six months :wink:), and I'm now becoming more and more interested in Tarot and numerology.

Do any of you specialize in more than just astrology? I would love to hear your experiences and love of similar arts.

Lapis

sam,

When I first started learning astrology it naturally led me to numerology, tarot, color, gemstones, and many other of the ancient 'arts'. I think astrology is the best foundation to have because everything else flowers out of it.

If you study numerology and tarot you'll see astrology symbols and archetypes in both of these and vice versa. I'm sure this is the case with most all esoteric subjects.

I'm rather fond of the connection between gemstones and our natal charts, natal energies. My earthy Capricorn Sun likes the stones! It's fun to make amulets out of gemstones that correspond to your natal chart. I may share how to do this on the Metaphysical Corner thread. Hadn't thought of it until now! :roll:

Arian Maverick

I'm so glad you started this forum, Sam! :D

A year ago or so I had some great luck with automatic writing. Ironically, one of my biggest successes was a series of channels I conducted for an assignment I had received from my Church, and I used these channeled writings almost exclusively to put together a report about "Gifts of the Holy Spirit." I bet the youth minister would never have praised my work if he knew how I had gotten my information :mrgreen:

But seriously, one of the main reasons I turned to New Age studies is because of the hypocracity within most organized religions. For example, if you ask any devout Catholic who wrote the Bible, they would dutifully reply that it is the Word of God. This is true, of course, but then how did the words come to be transcribed into written form? They were written by humans, divinely guided by Spirit! And despite this, channeling is against church doctrine...? :?

I appologize for my little rant there; I am simply of the opinion that we can learn much more about ourselves and our spirituality by searching within rather than solely relying on delegated representatives to meet our needs. I would love to know if others here have experimented with this or any other form of mediumship.

Aquarian Maverick

Summery Joy

They don't count as occult studies (I think) but I'm interested in all fields that help me explore human psyche and behaviour. Apart from astrology, I'm interested in psychology, sociology, dream interpretation, body language, ...

My dream is to, one day, grasp basic and abstract knowledge of these fields and crack the code of how they correlate and interrelate.

sam

Aquarian Maverick said:
I'm so glad you started this forum, Sam! :D

A year ago or so I had some great luck with automatic writing. Ironically, one of my biggest successes was a series of channels I conducted for an assignment I had received from my Church, and I used these channeled writings almost exclusively to put together a report about "Gifts of the Holy Spirit." I bet the youth minister would never have praised my work if he knew how I had gotten my information :mrgreen:

Ha. That's really interesting! What did you receive? Who do you think it was?

Aquarian Maverick said:
But seriously, one of the main reasons I turned to New Age studies is because of the hypocracity within most organized religions. For example, if you ask any devout Catholic who wrote the Bible, they would dutifully reply that it is the Word of God. This is true, of course, but then how did the words come to be transcribed into written form? They were written by humans, divinely guided by Spirit! And despite this, channeling is against church doctrine...? :?

I appologize for my little rant there; I am simply of the opinion that we can learn much more about ourselves and our spirituality by searching within rather than solely relying on delegated representatives to meet our needs. I would love to know if others here have experimented with this or any other form of mediumship.

I agree. I think closing yourself off to things of that nature has a negative impact.

On the subject of divine inspiration, a lot of Christians will tell you flat out that the entire Bible was written in this way. Not so! In fact, in some parts of the Bible it specifically states that it was written by a regular person. More info at this link

Thanks for responding. :)

sam

Lapis said:
sam,

When I first started learning astrology it naturally led me to numerology, tarot, color, gemstones, and many other of the ancient 'arts'. I think astrology is the best foundation to have because everything else flowers out of it.

If you study numerology and tarot you'll see astrology symbols and archetypes in both of these and vice versa. I'm sure this is the case with most all esoteric subjects.

I'm rather fond of the connection between gemstones and our natal charts, natal energies. My earthy Capricorn Sun likes the stones! It's fun to make amulets out of gemstones that correspond to your natal chart. I may share how to do this on the Metaphysical Corner thread. Hadn't thought of it until now! :roll:

Astrology is indeed a wonderful foundation. The symbolism is so rich and enlightening. I'm so glad I got so deep into it.

I love gemstones as well, and if you're so inclined, I would love to hear about your amulets. :)

Arian Maverick

On the subject of divine inspiration, a lot of Christians will tell you flat out that the entire Bible was written in this way. Not so! In fact, in some parts of the Bible it specifically states that it was written by a regular person. More info at this link

Oh yes, I know all about this...I attend two masses every Sunday because of the seperate choir groups I'm in. I find it very interesting that the New Testament was written almost entirely by ordinary people; even the Twelve Disciples (which I believe represent the twelve signs of the zodiac, by the way) were fishermen, sheepherders, etc. Many of the readings every Sunday are in the form of letters addressed to groups of people!

On that specific occasion, I asked for the spirit entities whose energies most closely matched my own and who best knew my intentions to make themselves known to me. My essay so to speak was actually supposed to be a lecture I was nominated to give during our annual Confirmation retreat, but as some of you may have noticed, my communication style does not lend itself well to those of my own age. I showed what I had written to my youth minister, who told me that it was truly brilliant but feared that I may alienate myself from my peers if I was to present it to them. I was not hurt in the slightest and was inclined to agree...as an Aquarius Rising, I have struggled to fit in and be accepted for most of my life.

However, I did learn a lot from the process and gained confidence in my ability to simply listen instead of censoring the thoughts that came into my head. I may never be absolutely sure if those words were channeled from actual spiritual entities or were simply brought forth from of my own subconscious, but over time I have learned not to question the source so much as concentrate on the message. Unfortunately, this ability does not come as easily to me now as it had in the past...but I find that if I truly need guidance, somehow I will be guided to pick up a pencil and write.

Aquarian Maverick

sam

Aquarian Maverick said:

Oh yes, I know all about this...I attend two masses every Sunday because of the seperate choir groups I'm in. I find it very interesting that the New Testament was written almost entirely by ordinary people; even the Twelve Disciples (which I believe represent the twelve signs of the zodiac, by the way) were fishermen, sheepherders, etc. Many of the readings every Sunday are in the form of letters addressed to groups of people!

On that specific occasion, I asked for the spirit entities whose energies most closely matched my own and who best knew my intentions to make themselves known to me. My essay so to speak was actually supposed to be a lecture I was nominated to give during our annual Confirmation retreat, but as some of you may have noticed, my communication style does not lend itself well to those of my own age. I showed what I had written to my youth minister, who told me that it was truly brilliant but feared that I may alienate myself from my peers if I was to present it to them. I was not hurt in the slightest and was inclined to agree...as an Aquarius Rising, I have struggled to fit in and be accepted for most of my life.

However, I did learn a lot from the process and gained confidence in my ability to simply listen instead of censoring the thoughts that came into my head. I may never be absolutely sure if those words were channeled from actual spiritual entities or were simply brought forth from of my own subconscious, but over time I have learned not to question the source so much as concentrate on the message. Unfortunately, this ability does not come as easily to me now as it had in the past...but I find that if I truly need guidance, somehow I will be guided to pick up a pencil and write.

Aquarian Maverick

Very cool!

Arian Maverick

Very cool!

Yeah, I got some very interesting results with automatic writing...a lot of the time the messages didn't make sense or were contradictory in nature, but occasionally I would receive that rare gem that would be exactly what I needed to hear at the time. It's funny, because whenever I deliberately sat down to conduct an automatic writing session with the intention of receiving a message no matter what, I would often get nothing but scribbles or repeated words and letters. Yet other times I could be going about my business and would suddenly feel compelled to write, and my hand would move so swiftly across the page that my brain could hardly keep up.

Although I highly doubt they will mean as much to others as they did to me, I'll see if I can find any examples to post here. Unfortunately, over the years I had accumulated so many papers with messy scrawls that they were literally overflowing my drawers, and I couldn't distinguish the noteworthy ones from the rubbish--thus, nearly all were recycled as a result of a recent cleaning spree. However, I still have several notebooks that I saved...I'll check them out :wink:

Aquarian Maverick