Career choices

mickey

I wonder if anyone can help? I am currently at a crossroads in my career, having just retrained in psychology, but still working as a researcher. My heart is in pursuing the psychology, however, security comes from the research career. My progressed chart shows the 10th house in Cancer (caring), but there are no planets in it, nor any aspects. My natal chart has Gemini on 10th house with Venus straddling the 9th and 10th (classified as the 9th). Aside from the 10th house and the MC (in Taurus) what other areas do I need to look at in order to give me some guidance?

mickey

Apologies for forgetting to post the chart. Please find attached the natal

Attachments

• chart.gif
    chart.gif
    28.7 KB · Views: 33
Firstly,I would strongly recommend...

Astrological data are highly sensitive. Therefore ask you to take the protection of personal data of third persons very seriously. If you wish to your post the chart of a person known to you, you must have their permission to do so or anonymize the name and all birth /personal data. If this is not the case, please refrain from posting this chart.

Career options are assessed by MC any planets conjunct, where the ruler of MC is placed, it’s aspects, then 2nd house ‘how you earn your money’ and planets there, ruler of cusp and where it’s placed, then 6th house of ‘type of work you do’ any planets there and how they are aspected.

Researching rulers of houses will help you understand more where I joining the dots so to speak
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/rulersofhousesinhouses.html

You have calculated your chart using the default on astro.com of placidus and I use Equal House system and am a modern astrologer. Lots of people that come into Astrology get their free charts calculated at www.astro.com and the default ‘house system’ used is Placidus and think that’s just the norm and all that there is……..BUT that is just the tip of the iceberg. You can change the default on astro.com in Extended Chart selection to Equal house and a few more.

Throughout the forums but mainly in natal astrology there are two main branches Placidus (unequal size houses) v Equal House (whereby each house is same size) but lots more……. For more information on these go here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(astrology)#Description
http://www.astrolozy.com/article19.asp
http://www.skyviewzone.com/birthinfoforms2/housesexplained.htm

It's only with study and research will you be able to assess where your planets are deposited and in which houses... thus see which 'glove fits'

Now in Equal house your Jupiter mercury conjunction would be in 8th with mercury conj 9th cusp where may have more influence on 9th house matters like higher education, travel, law, philosophy etc.

Did you know astro.com aslo has charts in Extended chart selection to chose bi or tri wheel for secondary progressions and transits, which would have been extremely helpful to look at.

Now your MC taurus likes stability sociability and has strong organisation ability, but venus in Gemini is restless, procrastinating and indecisive with square to uranus and square to saturn. Your saturn is conj 7th house cusp and may well delay marriage til after your first saturn return or he may be a few years older
venus.gif
square.gif
opposition.gif
saturn.gif

Venus square or opposition Saturn

Alternate, short interpretation: Venus square Saturn or Venus opposition Saturn: *You are serious and find it difficult to enjoy yourself in a lighthearted, open and playful way with others. You rarely do something purely for pleasure, and can be very close-fisted and parsimonious. Perhaps due to painful separations in your early life, you are very cautious about becoming close to people and sharing your feelings. Though you crave love and affection, intimacy is difficult for you. You may become romantically involved with people who do not value you or treat you well. You need to learn to love and value yourself before you will find happiness in love.
#You may find that your best sexual relationships are with individuals who are significantly older or younger than yourself. The role of teacher is so significant in your life that it may pervade your love life. You will need to overcome a sense of reserve or inhibition to deepen your spiritual connection.
http://cafeastrology.com/natal/venussaturnaspects.html

Alternate, short interpretation: Venus square Uranus or Venus opposition Uranus: *Your love feelings are easily aroused and your romantic relationships begin with a sudden electric attraction, but they often end abruptly, and you may be in and out of love frequently - especially in your younger years. You crave emotional excitement and need to feel spontaneous and free, so you may avoid making firm personal commitments. Unusual or nontraditional forms of love and relationships appeal to you, and you are attracted to unique, creative, or unstable people.
#You tend to fall in love instantly, and you need to discriminate between passing sexual fancy and something that can last "forever." As your intuition develops, you will be able to identify the difference more clearly. When you "fall," that is a good time to marshal all your respect for yourself and your partner, and to take things one day at a time until you have forged a deep connection.
http://cafeastrology.com/natal/venusuranusaspects.html

Now ruler of 2nd is Libra (Equal house) and Aquarius 6th house. Now Uranus is touching Asc from 12th which would be great for research and working behind the scenes and Venus/libra conj MC wants to be sociable, known for beautiful things. But saturn placed their can affect your health, daily routines and tye of work you do. Wherever saturn is placed suggests where we 'lack confidence' and by way of compensation tend to work harder and longer to compensate for matters.

Saturn‑Ascendant Square Saturn‑Ascendant Opposition
Here the reserve and aloofness so typical of all Saturn‑Ascendant aspects are caused chiefly by the degree of vulnerability we feel. We respond to people in a nervous, even mistrustful way. When we wish to express ourselves, Saturn interferes and we clam up instead. Also, with these aspects, we can be heavy‑handed; a trait unlikely to give popularity. The irritation shown by others further increases uncertainty and vulnerability. We must be careful not to keep saying "I`m no good," "No one likes me," and so on; statements such as these have a knack of being ­self‑fulfilling and may stop us finding the warmth we seek.

Due to unfortunate experiences in contacts with others, we sometimes go into a complete seclusion, or hide behind a "wooden mask" of some sort ‑ that of a careerist, for example ‑ in order to keep out of range at the personal level.

The tense aspects make us very insecure on this point and when we brood over it too much, we are liable to suffer from listlessness and fatigue. With the unconscious working flat out in an attempt to solve problems that have arisen or might arise, energy is used up that would normally be available to the conscious. However, if we learn to confine worries to practical issues (as it is perfectly possible to do with the tense aspects), we can become the same responsible, down‑to‑earth individuals we would be with one of the easy aspects ‑ although never the life and soul of the party.

From the book ‘Aspects and Personality’ by Karen Hamaker-Zondag

Sun Quincunx (Inconjunct) Neptune
Your energy tends to be directed unrealistically. Your own sense of self changes as you learn from your own misappraisals of situations that are important to you. If you feel drained or frustrated it is always helpful to look at your overall direction in life and determine if you have taken on more through your high ideals than your physical vitality can sustain. It is always worthwhile to see how your ideas are received by others, to see if you can involve them in your vision. When you can't, avoid trying to do everything yourself. Slow down, "if it is worth having it is worth waiting for."

Sun Quincunx (Inconjunct) Pluto
You are forced to focus, time and again, on details that you would prefer to ignore. When life slows down or becomes uncomfortable, simplify and be patient. You are changing and growing in ways that you can scarcely perceive. Stay involved in your everyday routines and only force a change on yourself when you feel stuck in some repetitive pattern.

http://cafeastrology.com/natal/quincunxinterpretations.html

Pluto in first is well known for holding it's self aloof, distance, hard to read, plus Virgo is a born worrier rather similar to Scorpio, both are extremely analytical and great researchers and detectives...Plutonic lid. Very private person ‑ holds secrets. Tunnel vision when concentrating will always finish things. Very calm exterior, keep themselves to themselves. Usually deep penetrating eyes. Intensity comes over ‑ even when being silent !

Having 3planets in 8th house of scorpio again, all suggests great for research, as long as its practical hand on (taurus) type

mickey

thankyou for your comments. It is my chart and I haven't used my real name on it.

I do make a natural researcher and enjoy this. I did recognise quite a lot of myself, although I can be quite funny and outgoing when I want to be. Most people view me as quite outspoken, yet a bit of a loner who likes their own space at the same time.

Work has made me ill on a number of occasions, because as you say, I just get on until it is finished and I am viewed as a hard worker who gets the job done.

The Venus saturn was spot on. I am still not married and way past my Saturn return. I also tend to attract partners much younger than myself, presumably the 'teaching' aspect.

Sometimes people have mistaken me for Scorpio, rather than Aries and I suspect this is because of Pluto in 1st house.

I think in some respects psychology is a natural progression due to wanting to get beneath the surface, as with research.

wilsontc

Staff member
career, to Mickey

Mickey,

You asked:
mickey said:
I wonder if anyone can help?...what other areas do I need to look at in order to give me some guidance?

You have :northnode (future goals) focused near the friends (also outer world self-expression) house, indicating a need to be a humanitarian. :taurus: (physical, also personal values) modifies your Midheaven (outer world self-expression) and :venus: (tuler of :taurus:) is conjunct (energy is combined with) your Midheaven, indicating you need to do something in the outer world that expresses your own values. :virgo: (daily work) modifies your Ascendant (self) and :mercury: (ruler of :virgo:) is focused in the expansion (also learning, also teaching) house, indicating you need to have a need to have a learning routine and may like to teach. Both :uranus: (friends, also outer world self-expression) and :pluto: (transformation, also research) :conjunct: (energy is combined with) your Ascendant, indicating you also need to do research and re-emphasizes the humanitarian need.

You might like to do some humanitarian work expressing things you value that involves a routine of learning and/or teaching others.

Careering,

Tim