Progressed Chart meaning

dr. farr

Progressed charts show the direction of trends, potentials and possibilites arising in time from the promise indicated in the natal chart; progressions are primarily applied for predictive purposes (there are various types of progressions, the 2 commonest being called "primary" or "secondary" progressions; another method is called "solar arc", which is similar to the simple symbolic directional methods which I greatly prefer to either primary or secondary progressions)

Zarathu

Account Closed
Your natal chart tells what your aptitudes and stuff as well as the status of what you need to do in life at birth. It will show how you deal with the world and changes, your limitations in life, your areas where you can grow, your ways of thinking aobut the world, your health and energy levels at birth and the tendencies regarding your body, and your creativity and illusions. Many other things can be seen through the lenses of astrology, such as tendencies for insomnia, etc.

Your progressed chart shows how you develop over time as your p=life proceeds. By the time you are thirty years old, most of the goals that were part of your challenges have either been met or not. You progressed chart will show the general challenges that life is offering you, and your ability to deal with these challenges over a period of time of about +/- 4-6 years. It will also show the changes that are wrought in your personality as your Sun and ASC and planets progress into other signs.

For example, I was born with both my sun and ASC in Gemini. When I was around 30, my Sun progressed into Cancer, and the purely intellectual pursuits of my youth translated into the more Cancerian nature of a counseling training into working with children. As I passed 60, my Sun moved out of Cancer and into Leo by progression. I retired from that, and since my sun was no longer in Cancer, I found that after 30 years of counseling children, I had no more interest in doing that.

Dr. Farr notes that progressions are used for prediction, but 2ndary progressions are used also for life development. Solar Arcs, are really called Solar Arc Directions, and they are not really progressions, because all the movements of the planets are based simply on the movement of the Sun. There are also tertiary progressions which can be very useful.

For real predictions, I use Return Charts which and the prediction in the return for the movement of the planet of the return through the chart itself. these are very accurate, and much more precise than progressions since they focus on specific areas of life as represented by the planet in the chart. For the slow outer planets, you can use th 1/12th cycle to great effect.

Hope this helps.

astro11

I find that people tend to see you as your natal chart shows, especially your Sun, Moon and ASC. However, internally you are likely to also feel like your progressed planets but other people may not notice this. For example, I currently have 5 water signs in my secondary progressions, 4 of them are personal planets. I notice now more than ever before I am a sponge, intuitively picking up people's feelings, thoughts and intentions. I even get psychic impressions that almost always turn out to be correct. I tend to take things more personally, am more sensitive and feel more emotional. However, these are not the characteristics that likely come to mind when others think of me.

dr. farr

The symbolic directional measurements are variable, and the degree advancement per year of life are not only based on the Sun movement-degrees (as in Solar Arc) These other directions (or progressions if you will) include the duodenary (2.5 degrees per year of life), sub-duodenary (.208 of a degree per year of life), septenary (4.28 degrees per year of life, sometimes also referred to as the "life point" or "Uranian" directional measurement), the novenary (3.33 degrees per year of life) and the "average directional measure" (2.78 degrees per year of life) Also, there is a fractional measurement system which can be applied here as well: these symbolic directions were elaborated (and much used) in earlier Modernist astrology, by early Modernist authors such as Frankland and Charles Carter (see, for example, Carter's "Symbolic Directions in Modern Astrology")...

Zarathu

Account Closed
It has been my experience that if the person doesn't have a strong Sun in their natal chart, then Solar Arc Directions do not tend to be particularly useful.

For example, my Natal chart has a very weak Sun. Solar Arc Directions rarely work for me. Because of this, I use secondary progressions(Quotidian arc) for the broad developmental recomendations which tend to stay stable for about +/- 3 years, and then the return charts for more specific situations such as the Venus REturn for Relationships, and money.

Secondary progressions seem to work in a developmental way for everyone. Solar Arc Directions(in my experience) are spotty depending on the natal chart.

dr. farr

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I have come to prefer the symbolic directions (as described in my earlier posting) to the Solar arc progressions.