Sea Obsession

Seasoul

Although most children will have a love of or interest in the sea, this has been a consistent need of mine right into adulthood. I *have* to have regular doses of being at, or in the sea (I paddle and splash no matter what the season, yes, even February). I have considered that perhaps there is a universal benefit from being close to the sea, due to its expansive and flowing nature, and its general ability to relax the mind and body.

However, I'd like to investigate if there are any astrological configurations or placements that may equal this connection.
I guess the first places we'd look would perhaps be aspects of Neptune, and placements in water houses or many planets in the water element?
This is where I get confused with my own need for the sea, as in sidereal, I only have MC and Uranus in water, in tropical, I have NN and Jupiter in water, and I have Neptune sextile Sun and Asc., square Moon.

I am thinking that perhaps the points of progression like MC and NN, take precedence over planetary placements and aspects in determining what we are drawn to - in this case, the sea?

Would anyone like to share their knowledge and experiences on an astrological basis for a need for the sea?

StillOne

Consdier posting your chart from astro.com.

Two of my best friends are more obsessed with being in the ocean than me. I talked to one yesterday who said he's only missed one day out of the last 25. Both of them have Neptune singletons in Mutable Fire. I think sometimes where we lack elements, is where we need to find balance...

bittermoon

Consdier posting your chart from astro.com.

Two of my best friends are more obsessed with being in the ocean than me. I talked to one yesterday who said he's only missed one day out of the last 25. Both of them have Neptune singletons in Mutable Fire. I think sometimes where we lack elements, is where we need to find balance...

i am very watery. cancer sun, scorpio moon, pisces rising. my chart ruler, neptune is a singleton (only fire planet in my chart). i have 5 planets in water houses.

i am also ocean obsessed. i am not a particularly good swimmer, and i don't do water sports, but i am happiest when i'm at the ocean. it doesn't matter if it rains, i will still go for a walk on the beach. i was lucky enough to live at the ocean for an entire year. it was bliss.

greybeard

How can we study such a question without charts of persons who exhibit the trait?

Yours is such a chart.

I wonder if there might be more important psycological traits than "loves to walk by the seashore" to merit our attention?

Personally, I prefer mountains. I suppose some people have a feeling of "at home" in the steel, concrete and glass of a big city. Gollum liked dark tunnels.

Gollum leads us to the idea that "where we feel at home" may be a direct expression of other and deeper character traits.

Yes, Neptune is associated with the sea. But long before Neptune came into human consciouness there must have been a planet or planets, known to mankind, that ruled the sea. I wonder if that planet still exists, and if so, has it surrendered its rulership of the sea to Neptune?

Apart from "the sea", there is the matter of "what we love". Or obsession, or addiction, or deep-seated need. I wonder if any planets are associated with such things?

If you see anyone with an irresistible craving for chocolate, look to Chiron. Chocolate is a known substitute for the parental affection whose lack caused such deep wounds in the soul of the chocolatee.

Last edited:

MJ82

I'm sea obsessed too. In fact any body of water, even as small as a canal and I'm soothed in a deep (and needed) way. I was thinking only yesterday that I must find a way of incorporating this water-need more in my life... for me it's definitely Neptune/12th house.

Seasoul

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Stillone,
yes, I too believe that we seek out that which we lack, if we are ready to work, it aids growth.
I am unsure which chart version to should post - sidereal or tropical?
Lately, sidereal seems to have cleared up a couple of issues I had with my tropical chart, but it throws my sun off. So, I don't know, which should I post?

Greybeard,
can you give me an example of the psychological traits you refer to?
For me, it is definitely more than just a walk by the sea, it's completely recharging and reforming. I always feel altered (for the better) after I have touched the sea. I would go mad without easy access to it, I know it.

Perhaps earth is the planet of the sea - makes sense to me!

And again, the same question to yourself as to StillOne, should I post sidereal or tropical?

Seasoul

Attachments

• my natal.jpg
    my natal.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 45
  • sidereal my natal.jpg
    sidereal my natal.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 34

StillOne

Just a quick glance of your chart gave me some ideas. However, being a novice at this I'm just promoting some thought and discussion. What I say shouldn't be taken as the end-all.

I notice that you lack the element of Water in your chart as far as where your planets fall element wise. Jupiter is the ony planet in Water. You, however, have planets in Water houses (4th and 12th). So maybe being in/near water helps balance the lack of water in your chart. I find the ocean very emotional, very expressive... other bodies of water as well, so maybe it helps you tap into your emotional nature or soothes your emotions.

The other thing I noticed is that your 5th house cusp is Pisces ruled by Neptune. So Neptunian pursuits may be favored in your creative expression...

Thanks for posting the charts!

Seasoul

Just a quick glance of your chart gave me some ideas. However, being a novice at this I'm just promoting some thought and discussion. What I say shouldn't be taken as the end-all.

I notice that you lack the element of Water in your chart as far as where your planets fall element wise. Jupiter is the ony planet in Water. You, however, have planets in Water houses (4th and 12th). So maybe being in/near water helps balance the lack of water in your chart. I find the ocean very emotional, very expressive... other bodies of water as well, so maybe it helps you tap into your emotional nature or soothes your emotions.

The other thing I noticed is that your 5th house cusp is Pisces ruled by Neptune. So Neptunian pursuits may be favored in your creative expression...

Thanks for posting the charts!

I think the lack of water is a good theory - thank you for sharing.
So, do you think that having Pisces on the cusp (or maybe Cancer too) of the 4th house would indicate that the individual feels at home and rooted (4th) where there are large bodies of water (Pisces-Neptune, Cancer-natural home is the sea and briefly, land, and ruled by the Moon which is related to the tides)?

While I personally do love all water, I have yet to find a loch that interests me as much as the sea. I almost drowned in the sea when I was about 12, as I just couldn't stop walking into it, and then there was no bottom beneath my feet. My grampa saved me.

As for Neptunian pursuits, I'm not sure how you would define those, but I learned piano by ear at 6-7, have always sang, and began writing poetry, music, and songs in my early twenties.

Interestingly, my son hates the sea and has Sun and IC at Pisces, and Asc. and Mars in Scorpio - I would have had him down for sea obsession over me any day, but apparently not.

EDIT: although my son is support for the lack-of-water theory - perhaps he has enough water in his life through his psyche, and is hence repelled by the feeling of more.

Last edited:

Seasoul

I think you make a good point, S1.

The lack of water may account for the soothing comfort that being in or by the water brings for some. For me, while I have several planets in water houses, I still only have one planet by element. It is hard to describe the joy and serenity that I feel swimming, boating or cruising in the water.

And there is nothing like the feeling of swimming underwater either - to be completely immersed and light as a feather. Perhaps we just want what we can't have. Billy Connelly indicated that all the sharks and jellyfish that can kill human beings in the sea, are a hint that we do not belong there!

Queen of Wands

Although there are very few water planets in the chart, I notice that the North Node is in Cancer. Not sure if the same analytical process for planets can be applied to the NN, but if it can, that NN would be very influential, being located at the most elevated place in the chart and heavily aspected. It sextiles its ruler the Moon, quincunxes the Sun, squares the Ascendant and Saturn, opposes Venus. NN in Cancer, anyway, means that your life path should orient itself toward emotions, nurturing, water.

The Moon is also interesting to look at. It's the most elevated planet and "leads" the others, giving it a position of prominence. Although its sign Virgo is considered an earth sign, it is oriented toward experiencing the details of the physical world, which in my mind also includes water. There is a pretty close Moon-Neptune square, as well.

Those are the things I notice when specifically looking for affinity to water. All things considered, the first thing conclusion I would have drawn had I been given the chart without any prior information would definitely not have been "likes the ocean." My chart is also pretty low on water; I don't particularly like water, can't swim all that well, and absolutely will not go on a boat if I can help it.

Queen of Wands

I remembered that my FIL really likes water, though not just the ocean. Swims like a fish, too, and used to love to take long canoe trips. He has Neptune in Libra on the MC opposing Sun. The axis is involved in a t-square with Saturn in Cancer in the 7th. Despite its exaltation, the Sun is severely weakened. He has trouble expressing and asserting himself most of the time, except for random, rare bursts of bravado when the repression reaches a critical point. Emotions are also very repressed, he tends to like to martyr his own happiness to his wife. I wonder if he is drawn toward water as a way of making up for the otherwise poor water expression in his life. Saturn trines Mars in Pisces, giving it the physical, sporty bend. His NN is also in Cancer, sextiling the Moon in Virgo, an interesting coincidence to note.

I know a guy who is the son of wealthy parents and left home at 18 to live on a sailboat and travel the world that way. Wish I had his chart now.

autumn.c

It sounds like you had an amazing past life sometime connected with the sea.

Maybe your loved one or family were related to it and always brings back feelings of love and joy when you are near it.

I have the same feelings with woodland forests, yet im from Australia where we only have rain forests, desert and mostly dry bushland!

It could be astrological or a past life thing, do a past life regression on the subject, you may be shocked at what you discover!

Bina

Looks to me like Neptune is very important in your chart, it makes a lot of close aspects!

Neptune closely squares your Moon and it is also at the center of a small talent triangle with your Saturn/Asc/Pluto conjunction on one side and the Sun on the other. It makes a wide semi-sextile aspect to Venus/SN and is inconjunct your NN. :smile:

Jupiter in Scorpio, NN in Cancer and Sun in 4th house also indicate connections to the sea/water element.

All in all quite a lot of points for liking the sea.

I also have a strong Neptune and love water and the sea a lot..:love:

Seasoul

Although there are very few water planets in the chart, I notice that the North Node is in Cancer. Not sure if the same analytical process for planets can be applied to the NN, but if it can, that NN would be very influential, being located at the most elevated place in the chart and heavily aspected. It sextiles its ruler the Moon, quincunxes the Sun, squares the Ascendant and Saturn, opposes Venus. NN in Cancer, anyway, means that your life path should orient itself toward emotions, nurturing, water.

The Moon is also interesting to look at. It's the most elevated planet and "leads" the others, giving it a position of prominence. Although its sign Virgo is considered an earth sign, it is oriented toward experiencing the details of the physical world, which in my mind also includes water. There is a pretty close Moon-Neptune square, as well.

Those are the things I notice when specifically looking for affinity to water. All things considered, the first thing conclusion I would have drawn had I been given the chart without any prior information would definitely not have been "likes the ocean." My chart is also pretty low on water; I don't particularly like water, can't swim all that well, and absolutely will not go on a boat if I can help it.

Thank you for responding Queen of Wands.
I am far from experienced in astrology, but I too could not find anything definite about water connection, but I like your theory regarding the Moon situation, although I don't see a sextile to the moon in the chart?

I too think that the draw may come from NN - if that is the direction in which we are growing then, it would make sense, of all the points, signs and planets (except maybe Neptune and Pisces) I would say that Cancer, being the crab and living, at least in part, in the sea, would make sense.

A funny thing is, although I am pretty much obsessed with the sea, I also have a great fear of it, sometimes when I am looking at it I am overwhelmed with the fear of being engulfed by it - I think this is partially due to the fact that it can and does take lives, but also maybe it is because it is unknown - Cancer is the weirdest sign for me to have anything in, besides Capricorn, I feel it is the most alien to my personality - such great change that is inevitable, would certainly cause some degree of fear.

Seasoul

It sounds like you had an amazing past life sometime connected with the sea.

Maybe your loved one or family were related to it and always brings back feelings of love and joy when you are near it.

I have the same feelings with woodland forests, yet im from Australia where we only have rain forests, desert and mostly dry bushland!

It could be astrological or a past life thing, do a past life regression on the subject, you may be shocked at what you discover!

This is a distinct possibility too. Although, would that not be represented by the South Node being in a water sign, or connected to water planets?

Ha, the forest is my next habitat of choice, thankfully, in Scotland, there is no shortage. Perhaps it is the lack theory that draws you to forests, the fact that your environment does not contain much forestry?

Past life regression sounds interesting, but I am currently wary of anything that may induce a dissociative state. I am definitely interested though, so it's an investigation for the future for sure.

Thank you for responding Autumn.

Seasoul

Looks to me like Neptune is very important in your chart, it makes a lot of close aspects!

Neptune closely squares your Moon and it is also at the center of a small talent triangle with your Saturn/Asc/Pluto conjunction on one side and the Sun on the other. It makes a wide semi-sextile aspect to Venus/SN and is inconjunct your NN. :smile:

Jupiter in Scorpio, NN in Cancer and Sun in 4th house also indicate connections to the sea/water element.

All in all quite a lot of points for liking the sea.

I also have a strong Neptune and love water and the sea a lot..:love:

Thank you for replying Bina.

It is succinct responses like yours that show me how much I have to learn.
Incidentally, what is the function of the triangle? Is that like a lesser grand trine? I have not come across this terminology before.

See, you say that I have strong Neptune, due to the aspects, I think this is where I struggle with aspects, as I have trouble calculating what is "strong" and "weak" - of all the planets, I have tended to believe that Saturn and Pluto were the strongest, due to their heaviness and array of aspects, although am I correct in saying that we cannot look too much into the outer planets as they are generational, or is this only in synastry?

Last edited:

Bina

Yes, a small talent triangle is also called a minor grand trine.

Quote from http://www.astrographix.com/birth_charts/guide_patterns.htm :

The Minor Grand Trine is a common aspect pattern. It occurs when one planet sextiles two planets that are in a trine aspect and forms a long red triangle. This favorable pattern is associated with creativity and intelligence. Depending on the planet that sextiles the other two, above average communications abilities may also be present. If you have a Minor Grand Trine in your chart, you can depend on being able to put your plans into action and achieve positive results. This pattern also highlights intuition and insight.

IMO the outer planets are just as important in understanding a chart, especially if they make strong aspects to the angles or to the personal planets, in your chart Neptune squares your moon and sextiles both your Asc and your Sun - it aspects the 3 most personal points in a chart, therefore I would consider it important! :smile:

Last edited: