When an element (fire, earth, air, water) is missing from a natal chart

How would people with an element missing from their chart be affected? Examples:

I know someone who has no earth in his chart. He is successful, dynamic, married and divorced a few times, constantly traveling. He isn't 'grounded' in my opinion.

I know someone else with no fire in his chart. He comes off as rather dull although he's very smart and successful in a creative field. Never married. Not a party boy. No sparks!

How would someone with no air be affected in life?

How would someone with no water be affected in life?

I'm just being logical trying to figure things out. Do you agree or disagree with my broad assumptions?

waybread

No problem. Astrologer Stephen Arroyo has written extensively on the four elements.

Note that by default, if someone is missing an element, their planets have to end up somewhere, so s/he may have a concentration in another element. An emphasized element will say a lot about his/her primary orientation to life.

With no air, it can be hard for people immersed in a problem to gain a kind of intellectual perspective on it. They may be brilliant thinkers, but in a way that is more practical and applied.

With no water, people can lack empathy. It's not that they don't mean well. They want to sympathize with other people. But they have difficulty in tuning-in to the other person's frequency.

People lacking an element or having only one planet in an element will often try to compensate via the elements they do have.

For example, I have only one planet in water but 5 planets in air. When I got that I wasn't tuning-in to other people's feelings very well, I learned to observe them more carefully.

An impractical person lacking earth can learn to follow sound advice on practical matters like money management.

No fire? Well not everybody needs to be the live wire.