Ascendant Signs and First Impressions

Arian Maverick

In an attempt to bring the conversation back to the original topic, perhaps it is correct to state that your primary difficulty is that others do not see you as you wish they would see you?

This is an interesting dynamic because I often find myself attempting to supress the vital energy of my Aries stellium and "play up" my possible Pisces Ascendant and the Moon conjunct my Ascendant. In other words, I want to be viewed differently than who I really am, as indicated by the Sun and the placement of personal planets in my natal chart. It seems your situation is the reversal of mine.

Arian Maverick

Kwabena

Kwabena,

With all due respect, I think you may be overreacting to the comments from others, that you look handsome. Just because someone comments upon your appearance, it does not mean it is the ONLY thing they notice about you. I might tell a new person I meet that I like her shoes, but it doesnt mean that she is not smart, or a good mother. It simply means thaT I happened to take notice of her shoes, and decided to comment.

You sound insulted that somebody might take note of your handsome, Virgo features. It does not mean that there isn't more to you, inside and out, but it should not be taken as an insult nor should it make the person who gave you a compliment be considered shallow.

Hey!

Thank you for your response. I do understand your point. However, it has been my experience that very often people say things for a completely different reason than you'd think. Again, I was speaking to the subconscious, which as I said, will almost never be admitted.

I have no problem with compliments at all. I do, however, have a problem with some of the energies I detect behind compliments. I'd rather someone just be straight-forward with it.

On the other hand, I will say I may have over-reacted. I have a constant tendency to make things bigger than they seem, but much of the time it has worked to my advantage. You may mean well in complimenting, and I am sure piscesascendant meant well, but I had to speak from experience. That goes without saying, I have seen many cases and scenarios where appearance is over-emphasized, and no one takes notice of other aspects of a person.

Do understand, however, that your point is well taken.

KWABENA

Kwabena

In an attempt to bring the conversation back to the original topic, perhaps it is correct to state that your primary difficulty is that others do not see you as you wish they would see you?

This is an interesting dynamic because I often find myself attempting to supress the vital energy of my Aries stellium and "play up" my possible Pisces Ascendant and the Moon conjunct my Ascendant. In other words, I want to be viewed differently than who I really am, as indicated by the Sun and the placement of personal planets in my natal chart. It seems your situation is the reversal of mine.

Arian Maverick

Hey Arian-

If you are referring to me, this may be the case with everyone to an extent, so I could agree, including myself.

Then again in an effort to keep the thread on topic, we can move on. Anyone who wants to dispute my post(s) with me can either PM me or handle it in another thread.

Back to the thread - as I mentioned before, folks take note of my communic-ability, despite the fact that from what I am hearing, Virgo-Risings aren't know to be very talkative. You can reference my Sag stellium in the 3rd House of Communication for that.

KWABENA

piscesascendant

wow... and it was just a compliment, lol!

I didn't take any offense to your response, although I think it was a little long-winded.

My suggestion is... try not to be too hard on yourself, or on others if they compliment your looks. Enjoy it!

One thing to note... Virgo signifies the end of the personality, Libra as the beginning of the soul. Do you feel you want people to notice things about your personality that you find might be less visible? Also, do you have all mutable signs on the angles? That tends to denote someone who remembers every negative things said or done and forgets every positive statement made. I have mutable signs on angles so I am aware of this. Thought it would be nice to compliment a fellow mutable-angler.

Quite frankly, I don't think I've seen people get so worked up over looks in a while. Thank goodness we didn't even get into photo-brushing, lol!

Hey Arian-

If you are referring to me, this may be the case with everyone to an extent, so I could agree, including myself.

Then again in an effort to keep the thread on topic, we can move on. Anyone who wants to dispute my post(s) with me can either PM me or handle it in another thread.

Back to the thread - as I mentioned before, folks take note of my communic-ability, despite the fact that from what I am hearing, Virgo-Risings aren't know to be very talkative. You can reference my Sag stellium in the 3rd House of Communication for that.

KWABENA

Well that's virgo for you, over analysing things and born worrier and I bet if you're upset your stomach goes off. This is typical sign for stomach ulcers, acid indigestion and I've even know Virgo's to be phsyically sick of over stressed...:lol:

Cos I don't have any planets conj Asc or in 1st house, I do however have sun square asc and uranus opp asc, I feel as I grow older I identify more with my Aquarius Asc than I do with my taurean planets. I've become more talkative, altrusitic, independent, great with computers, technology and public speaking. I feel I've grown out of placid, laid back taurus and feel I have more to offer the world and people around me....:happy:

Arian Maverick

Virgo Rising, meet sixth house Virgo South Node! :tongue:

I wasn't just referring to your post, Kwabena; I had been growing uneasy about what I perceived to be the off-topic direction of this thread for quite a few posts. I suppose this thread may serve as a different lesson for each of us who has participated in it--for me, the lesson is don't freak out if things don't always go as planned.

Since we are discussing the sign Virgo, as well as Ascendant signs and first impressions, it has been my experience that peers tend to regard me as somewhat Capricornian and Virgoan--hardworking, ambitious, and perfectionistic. I project these traits particularly strongly in the classroom, where I am observed the most. This has caused me to wonder, is there a touch of the opposite sign in each Ascendant? I have exchanged pictures privately with a few members on the forum, and several have guessed that I have a Virgo Ascendant, although I don't think I particularly look like a Virgo. I also identify strongly with this sign; if it was within my power to change my Sun sign, I would probably chose to be born under the influence of Virgo because I've always viewed these traits as admirable. I try to project these characteristics because they make me feel like I'm in control; others tend to "pick up" these traits because they form an obvious component of my public persona.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Kwabena

Well that's virgo for you, over analysing things and born worrier and I bet if you're upset your stomach goes off. This is typical sign for stomach ulcers, acid indigestion and I've even know Virgo's to be phsyically sick of over stressed...:lol:

Cos I don't have any planets conj Asc or in 1st house, I do however have sun square asc and uranus opp asc, I feel as I grow older I identify more with my Aquarius Asc than I do with my taurean planets. I've become more talkative, altrusitic, independent, great with computers, technology and public speaking. I feel I've grown out of placid, laid back taurus and feel I have more to offer the world and people around me....:happy:

Hello and Thank You for your response, Astro50!

I do admit to over-analyzing, especially when it comes to myself. However, I would not say my stomach goes off, as much as my nerves take all the pain. I get nervous more often than i'd expect; I also tend to worry alot. Then again, when I return to a sound state-of-mind, all of that goes away. The only time something bad happens to my stomach is if I really allow something to bother me, which is not really all that often; it such cases it would need to be a "matter of life and death."

By the way, that is a great synopsis of Aquarius Asc; i've never taken the time to look into the last three signs rising. Also, I am willing to guarantee Taurus is on your IC, and last I heard, the IC is "where you are coming from." It makes sense that as you age, you are able to say you've out-grown it. I want to say i've out-grown my Sag-IC, but not quite yet.

KWABENA

Kwabena

wow... and it was just a compliment, lol!

I didn't take any offense to your response, although I think it was a little long-winded.

My suggestion is... try not to be too hard on yourself, or on others if they compliment your looks. Enjoy it!

One thing to note... Virgo signifies the end of the personality, Libra as the beginning of the soul. Do you feel you want people to notice things about your personality that you find might be less visible? Also, do you have all mutable signs on the angles? That tends to denote someone who remembers every negative things said or done and forgets every positive statement made. I have mutable signs on angles so I am aware of this. Thought it would be nice to compliment a fellow mutable-angler.

Quite frankly, I don't think I've seen people get so worked up over looks in a while. Thank goodness we didn't even get into photo-brushing, lol!

Personally I do not care much for/about images, and I deserve everything coming to me if I "pushed" that on you. Not a problem at all - just another lesson learned for me.

Although I will answer the question in detail at another time (I don't want to overwhelm you), I will say, in short, that I pay close attention to the negative attention. Like "perfectionist" Virgins, I want to know that I am doing the best I can to stay away from the negative side. At times I am far away from that, but it is a work in progress. I want to be at my best, so focusing on the problems becomes eliminating the problems, which I why I focus on them.

I'll get back to this message later...

KWABENA

elumen

Since we are discussing the sign Virgo, as well as Ascendant signs and first impressions, it has been my experience that peers tend to regard me as somewhat Capricornian and Virgoan--hardworking, ambitious, and perfectionistic. I project these traits particularly strongly in the classroom, where I am observed the most. This has caused me to wonder, is there a touch of the opposite sign in each Ascendant?

Arian Maverick

I wondered the same thing, and imo the answer is "yes," that we exhibit the polarity of our asc-desc, and we definitely hold both in us. I love Leo energy and always admired people who have it, at the same time, I notice a lot of Leonian qualities in myself (possibly due to having my SN in Leo in the 7H), people often say that I appear aristocratic, dignified, powerful. I'm very romantic and love creative and powerful people, lol. :=)
But I think in your case your desire to "show" certain qualities and oppress the others is coming from the Pisc. ascendent (gullible, impressionable, merging with others) and Moon conj. the Asc - changeable, perceptive of the env., chameleon like. I have Moon in the 7th H (but not in opposition to Asc) and feel that I try to "blend in" to my env. to show the qualities I think are desirable, etc. This had been true when I was younger, lately, after my Saturn return, I feel less and less inclined to do something like that.

Last edited:

Kwabena

I wasn't just referring to your post, Kwabena; I had been growing uneasy about what I perceived to be the off-topic direction of this thread for quite a few posts. I suppose this thread may serve as a different lesson for each of us who has participated in it--for me, the lesson is don't freak out if things don't always go as planned.

Since we are discussing the sign Virgo, as well as Ascendant signs and first impressions, it has been my experience that peers tend to regard me as somewhat Capricornian and Virgoan--hardworking, ambitious, and perfectionistic. I project these traits particularly strongly in the classroom, where I am observed the most. This has caused me to wonder, is there a touch of the opposite sign in each Ascendant? I have exchanged pictures privately with a few members on the forum, and several have guessed that I have a Virgo Ascendant, although I don't think I particularly look like a Virgo. I also identify strongly with this sign; if it was within my power to change my Sun sign, I would probably chose to be born under the influence of Virgo because I've always viewed these traits as admirable. I try to project these characteristics because they make me feel like I'm in control; others tend to "pick up" these traits because they form an obvious component of my public persona.

Arian Maverick

Hey Arian-

Well given that your Sun sign happens to trine mine, I have to say it is an honor to connect with an Aries on this level. Despite the Aries-Leo-Sag relationship, I have never really had the chance to connect with my fellow 'fiery' people on this level.

Moving on-

I have no doubt that what I presented was likely to attract alot of attention. Since the bulk of my personal viewpoints are not as "popular" in comparison to others, I do anticipate a bit of controversy. However at the end of the day, we all learn something, at least if we open up to it. I spent time off-line thinking about what I said, and came to this conclusion: Perhaps I am an effective communicator, but when it comes to physical appearance, things just do not matter to me. For the sake of staying on topic I will not delve deeper into that, but once I came to that conclusion, I felt much better! lol

(By the way the lesson I learned...do a better job reserving judgment)

Anyway - I did see the post where you stated that your Asc falls on the Pisces-Aries cusp. Perhaps you do get a bit of Virgo from being somewhat in its opposing sign of Pisces. Also, you have to look at the Descendant's role in this as well. I could see the concept of 'Capricornian' coming to mind, especially if Cap is at your MC, and the rest of your chart suggests you are fit for the classroom environment. As far as 'looking' like a Virgo, perhaps you have somewhat of a 'sophisticated' aura to you. I do not have a sophicated aura, but my mother says I have 'intellectual' eyes, and you could easy see that I am a Virgo-Rising because I have no facial hair, broad shoulders, and a very slim body, as though I rarely ever gain weight. Come to think of it, what role does Virgo play in your chart?

Despite my Sun squaring Virgo, I honestly do not have much of a problem with them. Of course i'm telling on myself when I say this, but I would have to say my only problem with Sun-Virgos is that they analyze when it is really not necessary. As a Sag I see some situations where folks just do not care, yet things are broken down anyway. Let's say your watching a baseball game on TV. If it becomes clear to you that one of the teams did not want to play from the start of the 1st inning and that teams loses the game by say, 9 points, would you take the time to look over their statistics? Sun-Sag me - I wouldn't even touch it. Meanwhile, a Sun-Virgo would be drawing comparisons and much more. I of course stand by the former.

I would ask you another question, but it'd be off-topic. Back to the thread.

KWABENA

Seymour

I got sun in gemini , and taurus ascendant. It seems, at first impressions, that I look more taurean. What they say about me at first is "calm" , "quiet" , "patient" even "shy" and things like that. Yet I notice when I am close to someone I change my behavior and become very talkative even if quite superficial... probabbly expressing the quality of my Gemini sun , as it was said before, only when i feel comfortable with who I am ...
I find that the description of the ascendant as a "mask" quite correct for me :lol:

neko senshi

I know an Aries with Pisces Rising who has her Sun in the first house. When I first met her I thought she was very shy and sweet. A year or so later I discovered how manipulative and self-centered she really was. She's very complicated.

elumen

i do not think Aries is "manipulative" per se -- in my experience it is pretty straightforward. perhaps, some other horoscope configurations contribute to that. although I knew a girl with Libra rising, Sun in Sag and Moon in Aries, and she was Miss Manipulation... Venus was in Scorpio, the ruler of her chart.

Claire19

What are the planets that aspect the ascendant?? THe Moon is one and that would give a strong overlay to any rising sign. THe planets are much stronger than any sign.

You may give a strong Cancerian type impression with rounded face, sensitive and walk with a crabby sort of gait etc. The ruler of your ascendant is Mars as you say it is Aries. What is Mars doing??? It is more complicated than just one sign or planet.

Claire19

i do not think Aries is "manipulative" per se -- in my experience it is pretty straightforward. perhaps, some other horoscope configurations contribute to that. although I knew a girl with Libra rising, Sun in Sag and Moon in Aries, and she was Miss Manipulation... Venus was in Scorpio, the ruler of her chart.
As you say the ruler was in Scorpio and that is a manipulative sign and often uses sex to get their way or to gain assets. Moon in Aries would be bold about doing it and Sagittarius Sun would say that she gets away with it all. Whether that is true depends on the chart.

Kerrie

I know an Aries with Pisces Rising who has her Sun in the first house. When I first met her I thought she was very shy and sweet. A year or so later I discovered how manipulative and self-centered she really was. She's very complicated.
Well I am an Aries Rising and Pisces Sun, a lot of people that dont know me too well say I am feisty, which of course I can be.... and they think I am outgoing, which I find very strange, as I see myself as shy. You know I push myself to the uncomfortable area to be outgoing. :wink:

Arian Maverick

What are the planets that aspect the ascendant??

Are you referring to my chart? The following planets aspect my Ascendant: Moon (conjunct), Jupiter (sextile), Uranus (square), Pluto (sesquiquadrate), and Chiron (square). The Moon is the only planetary influence that seems to pertain to his first impression, though.

THe Moon is one and that would give a strong overlay to any rising sign. THe planets are much stronger than any sign.

I have noticed this as well.

You may give a strong Cancerian type impression with rounded face, sensitive and walk with a crabby sort of gait etc.

I don't think I have a particularly "crabby" gait. I walk briskly, like an Arian, although I don't think I have the typical erect posturing and bearing. The other observations are both correct, though.

The ruler of your ascendant is Mars as you say it is Aries. What is Mars doing??? It is more complicated than just one sign or planet.

Mars is in the third house in Gemini, which forms a sextile to my Sun-Venus-Mercury conjunction and quincunxes Saturn and Pluto to form the apex of a yod. This Mars position certainly contributes to my mental energy and, to a certain degree, intellectual aggression, but there's nothing I can see here that would indicate someone who was initially perceived as "shy" and "sweet." To be fair, though, I think my professor may have confused deference with shyness. He's an older, very traditional man, so I attempt to modify my behavior around him--although I cannot completely sublimate my fiery disposition. :biggrin:

I just thought his observations were interesting. I may try this exercise again and report back.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Damo Mayo

Interesting. So, you have Pisces rising with Aries intercepting your first house?

So do I!

Funnily enough I do too. The Pisces ascendant does make me quiet on first impression, but in an aloof and indifferent way, rather than shy. There are no planets near my ascendant as mine is very much a Royal Chart, but it is rather dramatically aspected. My Pisces ascendant is the point focus of a kite, grand-trined by my 5th house Cancerian Sun and 8th house Uranus in Scorpio, but also opposed very tightly by my 7th house Mars in Virgo.

On first impression I am often regarded as charming, yet eccentric, genial, intelligent and odd. In fact I am most commonly taken for an Aquarian, most likely due to the Uranian impact that this aspect has upon my ascendant. This comes as a suprise to me as Aquarius is empty in my chart and is also very different in nature to signs such as Cancer that do have a more prominent presence. I would imagine that with Pisces being such a mutable, impressionable sign to have as a rising sign, it is easily influenced and altered by whichever planets aspect the ascendant most strongly.

nuthatch

I'm a Leo Sun and 3 degrees Capricorn Rising (in the Capricorn decan of Cap rising...double the sternness, double the un-fun), and the words people usually used to describe me are all those words that seem to pop up in every description of Cap Rising I've ever seen...stuff like "formal", "reserved", "icy", etc etc. A guy I recently dated told me that, before we met, whenever he saw me around school he assumed I was kind of a ***** and that I reminded him of Lilith from "Cheers". I couldn't even believe that! And I'm constantly being told to smile more. Which confused me, because it never seemed like everyone ELSE was walking around smiling all the time; I couldn't believe that I looked that much more serious than everyone else. But apparently I have a very intense, scowly, and, well, Saturnine sort of look that tends to make people think I hate them.

Before I knew anything about rising signs, I was always kind of confused as to why people saw me like that. I thought I was friendly and warm, and I guess that's not really how I come across. I do have a bit of a reserved streak; I've never been comfortable flirting with strangers, for instance (although thanks to my Mars in Leo and Aries Moon I am totally unafraid of pursuing a man I'm truly interested in, or of pursuing anything else, really. My chart has so much friggin' fire it's ridiculous.) I used to hate my rising sign--always wished I were a Capricorn with Leo rising instead, so I'd be organized and driven behind the scenes but charming and outgoing on first impression. Now, I actually kind of like it, since it also makes people think I'm serious and competent (maybe more so than I actually am), and that's always good on the job market.

Whenever people try to guess my sign, they invariably guess Capricorn first (unless they know me a little better, in which case they've tended to guess I was a Gemini...and I have NO significant Gemini in my chart.)

Also, I wonder if your ascendant determines how animals respond to you. Dogs tend to ignore me--they're never hostile, it's just sort of like I don't exist. Cats absolutely love me, though.

Last edited: