The Soul

Blacknight

Hey GB,

I get what you mean when you ask for evidence of the soul. That's rational & scientific and that's how it should be.

I think the best place to start is by reading near death experiences from people who have medically died and been resuscitated.

In the cases of many NDEs that I've read, the story is usually very similar. The person's viewpoint becomes disembodied and he sort of watches the room he's in from a ceiling corner. After that it's common to see a bright light and be drawn toward it and then get sucked up through a tunnel. Many times, the individual will see a retrospective of his life highlighting all the important events that transpired. (I have a feeling these are usually morally tinged & connected to emotion, like how important is that one time when you sifted through junk mail & tossed it in the trash?)

Then if the individual goes past that, he might get some sort of judgement & be led to some heavenly plain of existence.

Since these experiences are so similar, you might say it's very possible that the brain dies following a very route series of reactions leading to very similar remembered experiences with individual memories having individual effects.

I'd say that could be very likely. I seem to remember reading that memory retention also played a part in someone's likelihood for recollecting their NDE. Maybe it's the same reason some people remember their dreams much better than others.

One thing keeps me from leaning all the way over to the idea that we are biological entities that exist on a purely physical plane.

I've read many accounts of people watching & seeing things when their physical body is passed out or medically dead which they are then able to corroborate with doctors & others upon reawakening. Simple things like putting a wallet in a drawer in a different room. The sort of thing a person shouldn't know whether he's dead or not.

Everything hinges on the integrity of the near death testimonials.

Birch Dragon

Thanks poyi.
The verdict of that article, by the way, is another small log on the "No Soul" fire. It says the Heisenberg uncertainty principle can't provide a mechanism for contact between the brain and a disembodied soul.
The academic paradigm on the mind is profoundly materialistic these days. Materialism rules neuroscience and I think, maybe as a result, it increasingly rules psychology departments as well...

poyi

Premium Member
Thanks poyi.
The verdict of that article, by the way, is another small log on the "No Soul" fire. It says the Heisenberg uncertainty principle can't provide a mechanism for contact between the brain and a disembodied soul.
The academic paradigm on the mind is profoundly materialistic these days. Materialism rules neuroscience and I think, maybe as a result, it increasingly rules psychology departments as well...

I think in general as much as most Westerners still have some fort of religious belief, many tend to be more materialistic of their approach of life and after life. This seem to start since the Industrial phase of Western worlds.

Blaze

Account Closed
I've wondered this myself. The nature of souls...looks like I've a lot of reading to do. As someone who doesn't believe in anything he can't prove, this doesn't mean I go around saying it isn't real as that implies knowledge by the way, I just don't see how souls could be "real".

Perhaps they don't exist on this realm? Or perhaps all souls are is energy? But then, why does this energy exist? How did this energy come into existence? I could go on, but I'll just look deeper into this.

Pretty great thread.