my sun debilitated question

manas

So I saw that the sun is debilitated in Libra at 10 degrees. My libra sun happens to also be at 10 degrees so what does this say about me??

waybread

In traditional astrology, planets have one or two signs they rule (their domicile) and are in detriment in the opposite sign/s. They are exalted in another sign, and in their fall in the opposite sign.

The sun is domiciled in Leo, exalted in Aries, in detriment in Aquarius, and in its fall in Libra.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/essential_dignities.html

I don't know that 10 degrees is worse than any other degree in Libra: the sun in the entire sign would be in its fall.

But if you think about it, Libra is a partner-oriented sign. You may feel happiest as part of a pair, whether or not you have such a relationship at the moment. With a twosome orientation, the sun has to blend in with the other person's.

So this isn't a bad thing.

Opal

Premium Member
My husbands sun is 10 degrees Libra. He is a very good person. He is fair with most of his thoughts. Debilitating would be, jealousy from others. He has felt the sting of those, that are jealous of his fairness. Libra Sun, Mercury, Mars and North Node.

We work together as well. I am Libra Sun too, different degree. Like Waybread says, we work well in partnership.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I usually don't find debilities useful for basic natal chart reading. Better to explore the sign characteristics involved, and the house involved. Waybread's description of Libra as a partnership oriented sign is the kind of thing I'd read for when just giving an overall picture of your chart.

Where your sun being debilitated might be relevant is if we're considering matters related to the house it rules. Which of your houses has its cusp in Leo? If it's the second, maybe your finances need some extra work to make them secure. If it's the sixth, there may be a somewhat higher than average chance of chronic health issues. If it's the seventh, it may be extra challenging for you to balance partnership needs with individuality. Something like that.

My sister has a Libra sun and her IC in Leo. She's just now, in her early forties, looking to buy a home for the first time. Up to now, she's rented and had to move every few years. A fixed sign IC would suggest a need for a stable home of one's own (I've suggested that to her, in fact) and not so much inclination to move, and it's what she really feels she needs, but it's not a need she's easily met. That doesn't mean it's impossible, just not coming as quickly and immediately as it would if the IC had more going for it.

Opal

Premium Member
I guess, the word debility should be questioned. In itself, it lends to mean a negative. I have a debilitated sun. :lol::lol: And a fall mars. We take the literal meaning too serious or to heart. There are strengths and upsides to the debilitated and fall. :sideways:

Osamenor

Staff member
I guess, the word debility should be questioned. In itself, it lends to mean a negative. I have a debilitated sun. :lol::lol: And a fall mars. We take the literal meaning too serious or to heart. There are strengths and upsides to the debilitated and fall. :sideways:

In itself, yes, but traditional astrology wasn't designed with modern common usage word meanings in mind.

If you're reading for what Sun means to you (innate personal development, what your heart needs, what your ego needs) and for what Mars means to you (how you fight, what motivates you to fight, how you go about pursuing your passions) debility is a useless concept. It's best to simply focus on the sign meanings. If you're reading for what kinds of problems you have to solve--which you'd probably be doing when those problems have already arisen--the concept of debility might be useful. Debilitated planets tell you something about the nature of the problems you have to solve.

Opal

Premium Member
In itself, yes, but traditional astrology wasn't designed with modern common usage word meanings in mind.

If you're reading for what Sun means to you (innate personal development, what your heart needs, what your ego needs) and for what Mars means to you (how you fight, what motivates you to fight, how you go about pursuing your passions) debility is a useless concept. It's best to simply focus on the sign meanings. If you're reading for what kinds of problems you have to solve--which you'd probably be doing when those problems have already arisen--the concept of debility might be useful. Debilitated planets tell you something about the nature of the problems you have to solve.

Agreed.

You have to look deeper than a word, that broadly describes a whole zodiac sign placement. Aspects, houses, and what we need to improve, from the study. What comes natural, and what doesn't.

From Merriam Webster:

----------------------------------

debilitate

verb

de·​bil·​i·​tate | \ di-ˈbi-lə-ˌtāt dē- \

debilitated; debilitating

Definition of debilitate

transitive verb : to impair the strength of : enfeeble sailors debilitated by scurvyan economy debilitated by years of civil war

enfeeble, that's a little strong!:happy:

waybread

It really depends whether one is learning about or practicing traditional or modern astrology.

manas seems to have picked up on something that indicates a debility for the sun in Libra. In traditional astrology this would be correct.

In modern natal astrology, not so much.

Opal

Premium Member
Maybe manas will return, and let us know more, like whether he is traditional or modern school of study. Or both.

As he is a Libra, I would like to guess Modern, but that being said Petosiris is a Libra too! 😀

JUPITERASC

Maybe manas will return, and let us know more,
like whether he is traditional or modern school of study.
Or both.
As he is a Libra, I would like to guess Modern, but
that being said
Petosiris is a Libra too!
petosiris - definitely traditional - has been banned :smile:
and so
won't be commenting on the matter
HOWEVER

there is a thread on our traditional board
that may be of interest

because it discusses a debilitated planet
at https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73820