Career shift at 40?? What does my chart spell out?

northernstar

So - I am approaching 40 and have by this time specialized in my subject. I have been lucky enough to achieve the vocational goals I had set (including a PhD), I have a great position and have learned a lot, which I truly am grateful for.

But.... I have during the past year felt a growing discontent with my everyday at work (sat in 6th, uranus Sq asc?). I used to LOVE my job, now I feel that it's too stagnant, too lonely, too... boring !! I now want a position which is LIVELY, I want to be among people, work in a team or be where lots of things happen!! (progr moon enter leo? Progr merc in leo?).

I used to want to hide in the background, now I want to be on stage, experience lots of new things, meet new people...! Why? Neptune in 10th? Pluto (transformation) opp Asc, and Asc ruler being conj MC?

Is this just a strike of restlessness or am I on the wrong shelf in life? I am really not sure... Suddenly feels like the withdrawn work path I've chosen is too "dead" for the real ME..? My position is running out and I am a bit confused.

thanks for reading :)

Attachments

• chartme310117.jpg
    chartme310117.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

waybread

I'm guessing this is because of progressed and solar arc planets in the first house of your outward personality as well as in the sign of Leo. What sort of work do you do now?

Osamenor

Staff member
Lots of people suddenly want a change around the age of 40, and find that what used to fulfill them isn't satisfactory anymore. It's called a midlife crisis for a reason. Doesn't have to be a painful crisis, though, you can use the opportunity to make the changes you desire.

There are several astrological transits that everyone gets in their late thirties to early forties, that move this wanting change along. Neptune squares its own natal position, and the once in a lifetime Uranus opposition happens around age 40-43. Saturn squares its own natal position when you're around 37, then trines it a couple years later, then forms an opposition when you're in your early forties. Those events usually are connected with feeling you need to make some kind of change. If you navigate them successfully, you will be making the right kind of change.

Why you're experiencing this in your career has everything to do, I think, with Uranus squaring your AC. There's a point called the nonegesimal (NG) right where your MC would be if your MC were a perfect 90 degrees from your AC. According to what someone posted in one of my threads, the NG is where in the zodiac you were at your moment of birth. Transits and aspects to it, particularly by the slow moving planets, are likely to trigger something big.

Uranus is transiting your NG right now, and starting to move into opposition with your natal Uranus. This sudden desire to break out, be on stage, and experience new things sounds very Uranian.

northernstar

I'm guessing this is because of progressed and solar arc planets in the first house of your outward personality as well as in the sign of Leo. What sort of work do you do now?

Thanks waybread- I was also thinking about planets in Leo. Have been extremely emotional last year (progr moon and progr sun met in cancer= max emotional), so moon in leo I think will do me some good. Right now I work as a researcher. Really interesting topic, too, but - still I cannot find the motivation to write these days. I just want to get input and change and people around me..

northernstar

Lots of people suddenly want a change around the age of 40, and find that what used to fulfill them isn't satisfactory anymore. It's called a midlife crisis for a reason. Doesn't have to be a painful crisis, though, you can use the opportunity to make the changes you desire.

There are several astrological transits that everyone gets in their late thirties to early forties, that move this wanting change along. Neptune squares its own natal position, and the once in a lifetime Uranus opposition happens around age 40-43. Saturn squares its own natal position when you're around 37, then trines it a couple years later, then forms an opposition when you're in your early forties. Those events usually are connected with feeling you need to make some kind of change. If you navigate them successfully, you will be making the right kind of change.

Why you're experiencing this in your career has everything to do, I think, with Uranus squaring your AC. There's a point called the nonegesimal (NG) right where your MC would be if your MC were a perfect 90 degrees from your AC. According to what someone posted in one of my threads, the NG is where in the zodiac you were at your moment of birth. Transits and aspects to it, particularly by the slow moving planets, are likely to trigger something big.

Uranus is transiting your NG right now, and starting to move into opposition with your natal Uranus. This sudden desire to break out, be on stage, and experience new things sounds very Uranian.

Thanks for an interesting answer, Osamenor!! I have also been thinking about the Uranus -asc square.. And as someone else in here pointed out, my asc is ruled by the moon, which is conj MC at my time of birth. But, as you say, I guess the nonegesimal point might also explain this, then.. I am not really sure i understand what you say about the NG being where in the zodiac I was at the time of birth..? I am a gemini so, I was a bit away from the NG point, being in aries..?

You are right, that this need to break free seems uranian.. I haven't thought that that was the main driving force earlier, have focused on Saturn transiting my 6th.. But of course, need for freedom and new stuff is uranian. Last summer, when the square was exact, things were almost unbearable for me at work.. Things feel better now, but I managed to think a lot about wanting to make a shift the last year, so am open to change now as I am looking for new jobs... I mostly find my working environment too quiet and boring. And I want to be around more men, mostly women where I work :)

I also found this, which might explain some of the discontent at work last year when saturn squared my moon: "You need to feel a sense of inner fulfillment in your work, but during this time you feel a conflict between the demands of your career and activities in the outside world, and your need for personal happiness and contentment. You may need to make some adjustments in the organization of your life if the demands and responsibilities of your career are taking precedence over your emotional needs."

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
But, as you say, I guess the nonegesimal point might also explain this, then.. I am not really sure i understand what you say about the NG being where in the zodiac I was at the time of birth..? I am a gemini so, I was a bit away from the NG point, being in aries..?

I don't fully understand it myself. The NG wasn't my idea. I only parroted what someone else posted in one of my threads.

Different schools of astrology place "you" in different parts of the chart. Modern Western astrology tends to focus on the sun. Traditional Western astrology holds that the AC represents you, and everything else is about who and what you encounter in your life (if I understand correctly). Vedic astrology gives more weight to the moon and/or the AC.

I suppose it's kind of like the question of where in your body you--your self and personality--reside. Modern science says the brain. Older sources from various cultures say the heart or the liver or the lower belly or name a few different points.

In any case, anything transiting an angle is significant, and the NG is definitely significant. I see that in what I've learned about my own transits. It's common to do something that results in a new path--whether it's a complete transformation, such as starting a whole new career unrelated to anything you've done before, or a small one, such as taking up a new hobby while the rest of your life goes on as before--when your NG is receiving a significant transit or aspect.

Fz hb

Hi, I noticed that you were born with an opposition between Sun and Neptune sitting in twelfth and fifth house respectively. I guess that has also caused this discomfort to surface. What I mean to say is that this opposition Indicates a need of a challenge for you to feel fulfilled and since you have accomplished what you had set out to do you feel less thrilled everyday. It's like you have cleared all levels of a game and now you want a new game. I don't know the way to figure out that new game. But I think the new position of Sun and osamenor 's response will help you figure that out.. good luck

Dubyadude1986

40 is the Uranus half-return, so 40 can be an everything change.

Thirties bring in the Saturn return, forties bring in the Uranus half-return.

aquarius7000

Hi,

The natural planet of learning is Mercury and of work is Saturn. Now, in your case, you have progressed Mercury entering your chart's 3rd house, and Saturn has been opposing your Sun and Jupiter the past year. Your Sun and Jupiter are also ruled by Mercury, so, yes, you perhaps have been feeling a bit stuck and dissatisfied (Saturn) in this area. Now remember, Saturn also rules your MC (career), so most likely that is a big factor. If not before, in about three years time, you will feel a certain pressure inside to live life on your own terms, regardless of how bizarre these are, and this will be due to transit Uranus' opposition to natal Uranus.

In any case, given that you have the Moon on your MC, you are likely to change careers, though perhaps not often (Aquarius is a fixed sign).

Keep us updated.

northernstar

Hi,

The natural planet of learning is Mercury and of work is Saturn. Now, in your case, you have progressed Mercury entering your chart's 3rd house, and Saturn has been opposing your Sun and Jupiter the past year. Your Sun and Jupiter are also ruled by Mercury, so, yes, you perhaps have been feeling a bit stuck and dissatisfied (Saturn) in this area. Now remember, Saturn also rules your MC (career), so most likely that is a big factor. If not before, in about three years time, you will feel a certain pressure inside to live life on your own terms, regardless of how bizarre these are, and this will be due to transit Uranus' opposition to natal Uranus.

In any case, given that you have the Moon on your MC, you are likely to change careers, though perhaps not often (Aquarius is a fixed sign).

Keep us updated.

Thanks, that is really interesting! Aquarius 7000; you also answered me in another thread about Pluto crossing my dc these days.. You said that since pluto opposes the Asc, and whereas my Asc is ruled by the moon, we will have to see where my natal moon is.. And it is conj MC. Therefore you guessed that changes in relationships related to pluto crossing dc might have something to do with career and new work. I think so too. And what you say about mercury and saturn is also true. Last year was downright horrible (sat opp sun).. I feel ready to fly off now, got rid of heavy ties. :)

Am currently applying for new jobs. Uranus opp Uranus will probably make the need to follow my urges surface.

But I don't get what you say that Saturn rules my MC? I thought Uranus was he ruler of aquarius? (ok googled now and found saturn is the ancient ruler).

During the summer I will know more about may career shift and the future. At least I will have left this stillstanding place I've been at the past 10 yrs ;) Will update. :)