The 9th house

kimbermoon

On a higher level of understanding, this house is also about cultural, educational, religious imprinting; spiritual growth through the gaining of greater insight and awareness; growing towards our highest potential; it is about searching for truths and the higher meanings and purposes of life; it is about an expanded consciousness in order to get in touch with the subconscious level of our being. As opposed to the Laws of Man, it also relates to the Universal Laws that affect us on the metaphysical level; the search for truth, trust and faith. With this house, we have to Think Big.:biggrin:

Olivia

Sciences. And once again I turn to ibn Ezra because of an utterly fascinating variance in the Hebrew and Latin texts.

Hebrew text:
the science of the Sun is the law...

Latin text (footnoted): Oddly enough the Latin has for the Sun, solis scientia sunt iudicia astrorum. ' . . . the science of the Sun is the judgment of the stars. [Rob Hand], That fits with the prophecy and prophetic dreams, mentioned above. [Meira Epstein]'...

Mars seems pretty universally bad in 9, has anyone found any striking examples of this?...

Quoting once more, and this one I have seen borne out in practise - it's really interesting:

Venus in the ninth house indicates faith mixed with love and desire....

A lot of 9th house matters are shared to some degree by the third house, too, especially religion and prophecy.

Just some stuff.

aglaya

To what has already been mentioned, I could only add that it rules all the people who affect or stimulate our growth (teachers, priests, spiritual guides etc)., distant countries but also distant travel, pilgrimage and pilgrims

In Mundane astrology it rules foreign affairs, international law, religion, the Church and all institutions dealing with religious or spiritual matters, colleges, educational institutions, philosophical and scientific institutions but also publishing industry, airlines, sea traffic, world conferences etc.

As a derived 3rd from the 7th, it rules spouses' brothers and sisters.

When examined through the prism of the 3rd/9th axis, in a way, it extends the activities described by the 3rd: if the 3rd is a chit-chat then the 9th is a confession or counceling, if newspapers are the 3rd, heavy books are the 9th etc. Short course / high education, information / knowledge, phone call / travel, hearing something / understanding something etc.

It cadent, diurnal and masculine and the house in which the Sun rejoices.
In medical astrology, it rulers buttocks, hips and thighs.
The colours are green and white.

This house is naturally associated with Jupiter and Sagittarius. You can often find Jupiter inside the 9th in the natal charts of trully religious people. However, don't be surprised if you find a strong activity of well placed and dignified planets inside the 9th in the charts of people who claim to be atheists- healthy planets inside this house push the individuals to think about things represented by the 9th (including religion) and they often have very sound and well ground opinions when it comes to such matters.

The direction is South-south-west.

It also rules the first part of the person's adulthood or late teenage years ( the beginning of the 2nd quarter of life; houses 9,8,7), the 2nd 6 hour period of the day, summer months and choleric temperament.

aglaya

Mars seems pretty universally bad in 9, has anyone found any striking examples of this?...

Quoting once more, and this one I have seen borne out in practise - it's really interesting:

Hi, olivia!

Traditional authors teach us that Saturn inside the 9th can also hinder the positive manifestations of the 9th house (W. Lilly says:"Mars or Saturn have been infortunately placed in this house; the Querent hath either been little better then a Atheist or a desperate Sectarist").

Personally, I tend to be very flexible in reading traditional texts when it comes to the 9th and the 12th house. The reason is simple- some of the most important texts were written in at the peak of the inquisition and, from today's standpoint, I believe that we need to adjust some of the lines to fit the standards of the liberal and democratic societies that we now (hopefully) live in. Witch hunts, ghosts and dungeons aren't really popular any more :) , are they?! however, more people get high education nowadays and the developement of sciences has gone a long way since the middle ages which not only means that some parts of the texts can be almost completely eliminated but also that the potential meaning need to be expanded.

So, in terms of Mars inside the 9th, I'd say that much will depend upon its essential strength. Similarly to Mars inside the 3rd, a well dignified Mars in this house can have a very benevolent nature and help the Nativity. An ill dignified planet could, of course, act as an obstacle. My Mars is inside the 10th and I have always had troubles with the authorities- I just don't like to be bossed and preached. However, it has also helped me protect myself from the negative influences and bossy people.
I'd say that Mars inside the 9th usually acts in a very similar way only, in this particular case, the anger is oriented towards either religious authorities or teachers. A well placed Mars inside the 9th, if supported by other promises, could make a great world traveller who is not afraid of visiting strange places and tasting suspicious food. :)

Zarathu

Account Closed
Key Words:

NINE:

RELIGION, SCIENCE, HIGHER EDUCATION, DIPLOMAS, CEREMONIES, THE LAW, LEGAL PROCEDURES, TRAVEL, DREAMS OF THE FUTURE, INSURANCE, PUBLISHING, INLAWS, GRANDCHILDREN

JUPITERASC

....Mars seems pretty universally bad in 9, has anyone found any striking examples of this?...
"If Mars were in the 9th house the native will bring forward lies and affirm them with oaths" Abu Bakr Chapter II.1.7 ON NATIVITIES
....Quoting once more, and this one I have seen borne out in practise - it's really interesting:

"If Venus were in the 9th house and in her own domicile or exaltation, the native will be a famous hermit, and this most strongly if Jupiter aspected by a good aspect" Abu Bakr ON NATIVITIES

Mother Theresa 9th House Leo Venus Whole Signs chart attached
note Jupiter in Libra on MC in good aspect with Venus by sextile :smile:

Attachments

• MOTHER THERESA.jpg
    MOTHER THERESA.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
Sciences. And once again I turn to ibn Ezra because of an utterly fascinating variance in the Hebrew and Latin texts.

Hebrew text:
the science of the Sun is the law...

Latin text (footnoted): Oddly enough the Latin has for the Sun, solis scientia sunt iudicia astrorum. ' . . . the science of the Sun is the judgment of the stars. [Rob Hand], That fits with the prophecy and prophetic dreams, mentioned above. [Meira Epstein]'...

This really caught my attention since just this week I have been pondering the joys, and these two texts seem to be more related to the Sun affiliated with the 9th than Jupiter.

Interesting that "the science of the Sun is the judgment of the stars." That fits with astrology as well, and gives it a fairly specifically divine meaning. Which again flies in the face of much religious persecution of astrology through the ages.

Moog

Interesting that "the science of the Sun is the judgment of the stars." That fits with astrology as well, and gives it a fairly specifically divine meaning. Which again flies in the face of much religious persecution of astrology through the ages.

I was thinking that it sounds like astrology. Astrology is called Jyotish in India - 'the science of light'

The word ‘Jyotish’ comes from the Sanskrit language. "Jyoti" meaning light, "ish" the prefix of the Sanskrit word ‘Ishwar’ or God means ‘made of’, so Jyotish mean "Made of Light", "The Light of God" or in other words "The study of Light."

retinoid

The 9th is more of a seeking of the divine through religious experience. Through contemplation of the divine through philosophy and the higher mind (more of a Plato/Socrates/Confucius way of approach). The 8th for example, would be more of a darker side of human experience toward the divine...the occult, drugs or odd or destructive experiences for realization. The 12th is a more ascetic way of approach. A dissolution of self. Well I guess each house brings you to that state eventually.

I have Rahu in the ninth house and have always been spiritual but never in the traditional sense and usually have been agnostic also Saturn rules the 9th which is in the 8th :)

Last edited:

Olivia

Retinoid, is your 9th house ruled by Cap or Aquarius? I ask because if it's Aquarius then Saturn is what used to be called an 'imbecilic ruler' - it can't see Aquarius from Capricorn, not in traditional astrology, and not being able to see the house cusp, it can't properly rule the house.

Even if it's in Cap, there are still triplicity rulers to look at, which might be a lot more pleasant than trying to approach God through things like bankruptcy and death, traditional 8th house significations, or things like drug addiction, a traditional 12th signification.

Don't discount triplicity rulers. They may not be as 'big' as domicile rulers, but sometimes it's the little things that count. And at times, the little things are all we can do.

retinoid

Retinoid, is your 9th house ruled by Cap or Aquarius? I ask because if it's Aquarius then Saturn is what used to be called an 'imbecilic ruler' - it can't see Aquarius from Capricorn, not in traditional astrology, and not being able to see the house cusp, it can't properly rule the house.

Even if it's in Cap, there are still triplicity rulers to look at, which might be a lot more pleasant than trying to approach God through things like bankruptcy and death, traditional 8th house significations, or things like drug addiction, a traditional 12th signification.

Don't discount triplicity rulers. They may not be as 'big' as domicile rulers, but sometimes it's the little things that count. And at times, the little things are all we can do.

Hello my 9th is Aquarius. I know the 8th and 12th are bad in traditional (and vedic) astrology, but they are also the 'moksha'/enlightenment houses of the natal chart :)

Olivia

Hello my 9th is Aquarius. I know the 8th and 12th are bad in traditional (and vedic) astrology, but they are also the 'moksha'/enlightenment houses of the natal chart :)

I can't speak to jyotish, but in traditional western you don't find much good in 8 or 12, except for a few really odd things like raising horses. They aren't considered as houses of enlightenment. 8, 12, 6, and even 2 are cadent to the ascendant - they can't be enlightened.

People somewhat made peace with 2 because it represents arising from the underworld. 8 represents falling into it - the inertia drives the planet to the descendant, or point of death.

Digression aside, Jupiter and Mercury are other candidates for 9 rulership. Since Jupiter probably doesn't see 9 if it's in opposition to Saturn - what does Mercury look like in your chart? Does it aspect the 9th cusp by sign (conjunction, opposition, square, sextile, trine)?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Let's do a bit of an exercise here with the Ninth house and doing a delineation based off of it. This is a chart of a friend of mine whose views on things I know very well.

picture.php

So, give it a go. I uploaded it in Regiomontanous houses because that's what I usually use (Medieval astrology! Heck yeah!!!) if you use a different house system please let us know what system you're looking at, but I believe the 9th house stays the same regardless of system used in this example, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyway, go ahead and give your interpretations and we'll talk about them as we go along.

Olivia

So, give it a go. I uploaded it in Regiomontanous houses because that's what I usually use (Medieval astrology! Heck yeah!!!) if you use a different house system please let us know what system you're looking at, but I believe the 9th house stays the same regardless of system used in this example, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyway, go ahead and give your interpretations and we'll talk about them as we go along.

Alchabitius houses.

Religion is the opiate of the masses. Saturn rules 9 and is also the second triplicity ruler of 9 in a day chart, which zeroes it in further on that's what we need to look at. Saturn in Libra can see Aquarius, so it's not imbecilic.

Saturn in Libra square Venus in Cancer is weirdly nasty - Venus rules Libra, Saturn is exalted there, but is detrimented in Cancer. That's a longer discussion than I can put together just now though, but let's call it 'issues' for the moment.

Venus rules both 5 and 12, 12 making me think of the whole opiate/escapist/for people who don't want to deal with reality thing. Possibly religion as a mental prison (Merc in 12, out-of-sect triplicity ruler of 9, squaring it by sign).

Really curious as to how that Sun/Mars/ASC/Rigel thing is working out. 'If I were emperor of the world....?"

I'll edit to add that if religion is the opiate, science is the antidote, but that's a gimme - Saturn's ruling 8, 9, and 10, 9 rules sciences, and Libra-Aquarius likes it orderly, if you please. Not scientism, he's not that dumb, but science is a solace and gives some sense and meaning to the world.

Last edited: