How to graduate from Astrology 101

JUPITERASC

...and some are mongrels, who mix and match concepts and methods from all approaches: like me:w00t:!
And your methods and posts are very interesting dr, farr as well as most instructive
I have a new title for myself: Eccentric Modern Astrologer:tongue::tongue:

I thought of Eclectic, but I'm really more out of center than off center.:w00t:
Clearly then, 'graduating from Astrology 101' - which is the idea your thread title encourages us to explore FarEast Uranus - involves a wide variety of the many forms of astrology - including Vedic, Western, Modern, Traditional, Western Sidereal, Vedic Tropical, Hellenistic, Uranian - the list is endless

Much research is required :smile:

waybread

I almost think the ability to synthesize is an inborn ability, or perhaps one that comes more naturally to some people than others. Engineers, for example, are described as having "tunnel vision." This is great for focusing on an immediate problem to be solved; maybe less helpful for seeing the problem in its social and environmental context.

Some professions that demand a more panoramic ability to synthesize a lot of disparate information would be producing or directing a play or film, urban planning, administration of a complex organization, or being an elected official.

I agree with Miquar's "letters" (which I call "chords") where you find them. Look for patterns. Also, start with the Big Three: sun, moon, ascendant. Get a grasp of these, then see how the other planets in aspect support or challenge their basic expression.

Zarathu

Account Closed
I almost think the ability to synthesize is an inborn ability, or perhaps one that comes more naturally to some people than others.

Until recently it was believed that virtuosity in a musical instrument came entire in your DNA. But recent research has shown that its related strictly to the amount of practice that the individual has on the instrument. Those who spend more than 10,000 house in practice by the time they are 18 are headed for virtuosity. This amounts to about almost 3 hours a day every day of practice from the time the child is 8 years old.

So I suspect that synthesis in astrology is simply a matter of how much time a day you spend studying both the fundamentals and the eccentricities of astrology. And also how much time you spend in trying to integrate the astrology you learn into a new way of viewing it that follows your study---which is integration.

miquar

There may be differences between playing an instrument and weaving together symbols. Playing a musical instrument is largely a matter of manual dexterity and of training the ear to hear subtle differences in sound. The notes or chords must be played with a sense of phrasing, but they are played one at a time in set order. (jazz improvisation does leave scope for coming up with ideas based on a set chord structure, however)

Also there could be genetic indicators of having the inclination and stamina for that kind of dedication.

I'm not saying that the ability to synthesize is or isn't inborn - it could be one of those 'nature plus nurture' things, but where we have to nurture the skill ourselves as adults ( although synthesizing skills in general can be taught to children, and even astrology.

Zarathu

Account Closed
Reading astrology texts is important :smile:

However, that may well prove expensive

- so the online FREE TEXTS ON THE WEB STUDY LIBRARY at
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html is well worth the browsing time

Yes its expensive. But its not more expensive than any other kind of education. In fact its way less expensive. I could buy all the library I would need for a couple of thousand of dollars. I sure can't buy a Master's degree for that, and a doctorate would exceed that by an enormous amount. Many universites charge about $1000 for a three credit course. A masters is about $40,000; a PhD would exceed $100,000. You can find cheaper of course.

poyi

Premium Member
I guess you guys have no idea how expensive women's fashion are, simple regular daily skin care, make-up, clothes, shoes, handbag, perfume, even a haircut. Any of this single cost can buy me a few books. :lol:

Zarathu

Account Closed
I guess you guys have no idea how expensive women's fashion are, simple regular daily skin care, make-up, clothes, shoes, handbag, perfume, even a haircut. Any of this single cost can buy me a few books. :lol:

NOPE! You are right about that one. But you forgot the shoes. My wife has 75 pairs of shoes. I have four, and only two of those do I wear with any regularity.

poyi

Premium Member
NOPE! You are right about that one. But you forgot the shoes. My wife has 75 pairs of shoes. I have four, and only two of those do I wear with any regularity.

Nope I did include the SHOES! Oh well to me with Mercury and Sun in 3rd house, being a Virgo ascendant with Gemini MC with Uranus at IC. I love books AND technology. And of course, I love all the fancy womanly things, Venus square Neptune, trine Moon.:love:

Luckily I don't smoke and not often drink, so I never wasted money on alcohol or cigarette. 2 packs of cigarette can get me a book and paid the delivery fee as well.

JUPITERASC

Yes its expensive. But its not more expensive than any other kind of education. In fact its way less expensive. I could buy all the library I would need for a couple of thousand of dollars. I sure can't buy a Master's degree for that, and a doctorate would exceed that by an enormous amount. Many universites charge about $1000 for a three credit course. A masters is about $40,000; a PhD would exceed $100,000. You can find cheaper of course.
That's why the online

FREE TEXTS ON THE WEB

STUDY LIBRARY
at
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/texts.html is so useful
- particularly for those who do not have a couple of thousand dollars budget for buying astrology books :smile:

Zarathu

Account Closed
Ummmmm...... Look at the dates on them. Good stuff for a traditional astrologer perhaps.

Not a lot of discussion on asteroids there, or declinations, or out of bounds planets or harmonics or etc....... Modern astrologers are going to have to buy real books from the 20th and 21st centuries.

miquar

The CPA seminar transcripts are great value for money. The more recent ones can still cost £20 or so, but some of the first ones can be found for about £5. They usually have four day-long seminars in one book, which would cost over £200 to attend, plus travel expenses. And you can re-read them as often ad you like, and stop for concentration breaks, or to reflect on things, whenever you like. And they have questions from students and example charts. Definitely a great investment for those who want to understand modern psychological astrology.

waybread

There is a lot of good material on-line: here, at Astrodienst, Skyscript, &c. Would that it existed when I was first starting out.

Try used book stores. Also amazon.com is connected with some used book sellers for out-of-print books.

theV

I really wanted to be an astrologer but the culture doesn't support it and their aren't jobs and astrology is not respected in my country

JUPITERASC

I really wanted to be an astrologer but the culture doesn't support it and their aren't jobs and astrology is not respected in my country
The lack of respect for astrology is based on the fact that astrology is unregulated
Anyone can begin selling their astrological wares at any time
without the need to qualify by passing any astrological exams
:smile:

Justine

JupiterAsc - yes, astrology as a profession has unregulated sectors, so we who become qualified in the art need to be professional and make our personal and professional standards clear, in all we do.
There will always be people who have their opinions, whether those opinions fly in the face of superb and thoughtful work by qualified professionals (in any profession), or are based on ignorance. We monitor our own standards, invite assessment of our work from those who've experienced it, and do our very best. That's all we can do. I'm blessed with an insatiable need to learn ( in many diverse fields) and have learned that critics sometimes simply enjoy their own mental processes, regardless of the effect of their words on others.

JUPITERASC

JupiterAsc - yes, astrology as a profession has unregulated sectors, so we who become qualified in the art need to be professional and make our personal and professional standards clear, in all we do.
There will always be people who have their opinions, whether those opinions fly in the face of superb and thoughtful work by qualified professionals (in any profession), or are based on ignorance. We monitor our own standards, invite assessment of our work from those who've experienced it, and do our very best. That's all we can do. I'm blessed with an insatiable need to learn ( in many diverse fields) and have learned that critics sometimes simply enjoy their own mental processes, regardless of the effect of their words on others.
More interesting reading for those interested 'graduates from Astrology 101' :smile:

The following are three QUOTES from Antoine Garth's study "The Five Hidden Pillars Of Fate, Fortune and Destiny In Astrology" viewable entirely for FREE at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/6956746/Fi...y-in-Astrology

'…...Antoine Garth, astrologer presents: Study of fortune and destiny has been recovered from Vettius Valens ANTHOLOGY.
We consult the second century astrologer to return to an astrology not known since his time.
This will force three major traumas upon us as astrologers:

First, we are working within a deterministic system seeking to be privy to inscrutable workings of Fate.
Modern thinkers may protest such a domination of symbol over lifestyle, and may wish to reject this idea as insufficiently allowing us to properly assign "Free Will" to our ego nature.....'

'…..Ironically, this system is useful for highlighting how Ego can prevent a more fortunate fate from occurring.
i.e. The system of these five additional, calculated "lots" creates an astrological universe of its own revealing hidden aspect of the chart,
our own role in it, and indicators we must follow in order to fulfill our destiny.
Finding this spot can be the "Aha!" moment for clients as well.
But we must first subject our modern astrological stance to three traumas to fully comprehend this perspective.
Modern astrologers' problem with determinism revolves around adding man and his ability to choose
into the cosmic equation, which includes unforeseen events and their impact....'

'…..All of the twists and turns in the story of life are either predetermined or up for grabs.
I say fate and free-will can peacefully coexist,
but we must also equal in the Law of Karma.
Karma, the sanskrit word for action,
not only includes the grand and all encompassing
but also the mundane and every day.
By understanding primarily that the planets are the instruments of fate,
the astrologer can witness and make known each native's karmic "lot" or portion.
The Lot of Fortune is the first key to revealing the native's hidden universe of apportionment, or, more simply stated, the nativ
e's lot in life....'

Claire19

Sheer practise, hundreds of charts over many years, in my case.
Every chart is different, there is no template. I think intuition kicks in with looking at a chart often. It is a very complex subject that few ever get to an advanced stage with. I know very few who I would call advanced except for those who run schools and have done the examinations and been at it for many years.

There are many schools of thought and everyone will tend to read a chart a little differently. One of the bones of contention is the house method to use and the orb of aspect. I dont use fixed stars, asteroids and dont bother with minor aspects. I have been an astrologer for over 30 years and am still open to learning more.