Astrology of EGOISM

Andonis

I have met some selfish people around and one or two REAL EGOTISTIC brats! I wonder if people have some astrological clues which may indicate empathy to egoism.
Looking forward to your thoughts.....

Arian Maverick

I was about to respond to this post when I realized that I have both of the obvious indications I was about to suggest in my natal chart--the Sun in the first house and the Sun in a fire sign, particularly in Aries or Leo. :eek:

However, I do believe that there is a difference between operating from the perspective of self and true egoism, which is defined as such:

e·go·ism Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ee-goh-iz-uhm, eg-oh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. the habit of valuing everything only in reference to one's personal interest; selfishness (opposed to altruism).
2. egotism or conceit.
3. Ethics. the view that morality ultimately rests on self-interest.

Therefore, this particular placement of the Sun does not necessarily guarantee an egotistic personality because one can use these energies for the betterment of self or the betterment of self and others.

Nevertheless, I imagine that some planetary placements, sign emphasis, and aspects are more inclined towards egoism than others.

I'll have to think more about this and see if I can think of other possible indicators of egoism in a natal chart...

Arian Maverick

Andonis

Thanks Arian... The same thought came to my mind also regarding the Sun in the first house. But that alone is probably simplistic. Strong 10th house Saturn may also do some of this ego inflation....any other thoughts?

Arian Maverick said:
I was about to respond to this post when I realized that I have both of the obvious indications I was about to suggest in my natal chart--the Sun in the first house and the Sun in a fire sign, particularly in Aries or Leo. :eek:

lol I was about to say this. :D (Even though I really like Aries, as well as Leos, because they're fun to be with.)

Thank you Arian. =)

starlink

Hi Andonis, oh well, my daughter is a prime example here: Sun in Aries, Asc. in Leo!! Sun in the 10th, Mars in 11 in close conjunction with Venus and Moon in Gemini and their ruler again in Aries!.

Friends are her life and are the only people that might be slightly more important than her good own self. However, I dont see her as egoistic even though I am sure that she can behave in an egoistical manner (who doesn't?). She is extremely generous, giving very expensive presents to all her friends and family members, so really not much "me, me" there, BUT, she is thinking 99% of the day about herself and her daily problems. She can come and visit and just be in another world (her own), worrying, thinking, you name it. Sits down, takes a magazine and that is it. No real interest. Possible that she feels sooooo at home that she forgets her manners a bit.When she calls me, I hear that she continues working on her computer for instance, doing two things at the same time, so not giving her full attention. She only gives full attention when the subject of the conversation deals with her and her problems or is intellectually challenging enough for her, otherwise, mmmm.... So in that respect she is an egoist.

My son is Sagittarius with Sun, Mercury conjunct MC in 10th house.
Now, he, I find, is far more of an egoist than my daughter is. He usually calls when he needs me or my car. When I ask him if he can do something for me, usually sorting out a computer problem (after all he is the expert), he does so reluctantly, even though I helped him no end over years, psychologically and financially. He knows that, also says repeatedly how much I helped him, but when he does something for me, it is ONLY because I helped him in the past, not because he really wants to stick his hands out of his sleeves to help me regardless, let alone suggesting "can I help you with something mom?". He still has to learn a lot when it comes to "unconditionally" help someone.
I always tell them what I think of their behavior, they must realize and learn to change these habits. My daughter then laughs a bit sheepishly and says "yeah, you're right" and my son says" I know mom, but do you know how dreadful it is to ALWAYS be asked to fix computer problems??? Oh well, all in all they are great kids and I count myself very happy to have those two.

Another Sagittarius is the daughter of my partner. Same thing- She only calls her dad when she needs money or help with something. Otherwise he can go without any news for weeks on end.

I think we have to look at the Moon positions as well and their aspects. If planets are placed in "helpful signs" or hemispheres or not. All sorts.
Everybody has something egoistic in him or her. The chart can show how serious it is.

Cheers, Star.

Michael

I think egoism is as necessary as altruism. It is a matter of balance, as excessive altruism leads to be a victim of abusive behavior, and excessive egoism the reverse.

Arian Maverick

I think we have to look at the Moon positions as well and their aspects. If planets are placed in "helpful signs" or hemispheres or not. All sorts.

What signs and hemispheres would you consider to be helpful, starlink? I know that Aries and the first house isn't one of them, and it's possible that the second and third houses aren't either since this quadrant is generally associated with the "childhood" phase. Generally planets below the Ascendant-Descendant axis are regarded as being of a more introspective nature, yet I don't believe this is necessarily indicative of egoism--especially the sixth house, which is associated with service.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

Andonis

I think Egoism may well be an abnormality. I am not talking of the measured doses that most of us have, and well proportioned. I am talking about real extremes. Psychologically speaking could well be someone who is a single child spoilt by parents to the extend that his/her importance is established and routed in his blood to the extend that it becomes given and anything that challenges this self importance and self projection becomes threatening to his foundations. In general this is to do with a way of thinking so it is a brain issue, so mercury has a role in it. It is possible for such a person to be fat, someone who during his/her childhood has been given excessive attention, being fed in the mouth until 20 years old, or perhaps the opposite with little attention or been kept as a child unsatisfied with some or total lack of some elements. Such a person will feel the need to be self projected due to habit or lack of self satisfaction or recognition during childhood.
This person may well be VERY clever (strong mercury, Jupiter and Saturn) someone who has used his parrents for his own benefit someone who is using his partner and his friends for his own advantages, someone who sees his projection as necessary and justified for the advantage of everybody.
The person I know behaves like a baby, -(he is 45)- a baby with a dummy in his mouth and nobody dares take the dummy away. His purpose in life is how to project his self in life at ANY cost.
he will cause major disruption if something does not go his way. Trying to go against such person will make them hysterical of frustration.
The worst type do have capabilities so they have strong 9th /10th houses and therefore can use arguments in a forceful way to their own benefits and being able to present this as being the benefit of others. They use force or threat of force, not physical but threats that they make life difficult to others unless they follow his way. (Mars in exile/fall is possible)... So they do progress in their lives and they occupy high places, as they can be dedicated to their subject of work but highly single minded, devious, and politically changeable as the wind due to the fact they try to capitalise from everything to their benefit.
Such people may be attracted or married to someone who is also psychological ill and loves to be with someone as forceful as they see in them what they do not have or that their life takes a purpose by being near them. Almost always they have no children or very few as this intrudes their selfissness.
I have no doubt this is a person who needs psychological treatment if not medication. I guess Hitler's chart may be of help here.

Last edited:

Hey

Banned
Oh yeah.
My sister is a tyrant. She never puts her chin down and never admits she's wrong.
She was born with many planets on the cusp of Leo/Virgo. Leo's pride mixed with Virgo's criticism makes for one bothersome person.
Many of her planets are aspected very tightly. Sun conjunct Mercury, Sun conjunct Mars, Sun conjunct Venus, Venus conjunct Mars, Mercury conjunct Mars.
It's too much. No one can stand her.

Andonis

Egoism can lead to jealusy even hate ! Especially when someone close or physically nearby gets more attention than the egoistic person. This often happens amongst brothers and sisters if one of them is older and therefore had total attention from parents until the other brother/sister came along and sharing suddenly becomes a problem.
I think egoism is the maintenance of this state of dominating and believing the right of having something in its totality (this is mine/ you are mine) and the incapability of coping with the fact that others may have the same rights or being as clever as the egoistic persons. The feeling of jealusy by egoism may derive from challenges of their domination by people of equal or lower status when the superiors (parents managers at work etc) recognise the fact that others also have significant qualities and therefore they reject the egoistic persons world where they think they are ''the centre of the earth''.
Perhaps egoism is the state of maintainance of single childhood. (spoilt childhood).....someone who never grew up and had to share and deal with sharing and hence recognising the fact that the world is not simply themselves. Someone with thirst for self attention recognition by any means.

Last edited:

Andonis

Yes there is certainly a lot to learn from those charts.
I would add the use of NEPTUNE giving illusions about reality.

i have a strong 7th house but i am selfish somewhat in private life neptune in the fourth house maybe made me think : "i am so powerful" " i am so magnificent" that others should respect me simply for that thoughts...