ASCENDANT in Via Combusta

SagiCap

I'm confused. Can an ascendant be "via combusta". I have heard about the moon being "in a fiery way/via combusta" but not much about an ascendant. Is it a consideration of judgement if the ascendant is found in this position? If so, what does it mean exactly? I've read too many different ideas. The latest was that the "querent will get the thing they inquire about, but they will not like the outcome". This doesn't seem right to me. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

E

eternalautumn

I'm almost positive that the Ascendant can be in via combusta, and that it is a bad thing, but I don't know exactly how. I think because between 3 Scorpio and 15 Libra which are the worst degrees) is a really bad spot because the falls of the Sun and the Moon are there... I'm grasping at straws though, hope this tides you over til you get some better info. :smile:

SagiCap

I'm almost positive that the Ascendant can be in via combusta, and that it is a bad thing, but I don't know exactly how. I think because between 3 Scorpio and 15 Libra which are the worst degrees) is a really bad spot because the falls of the Sun and the Moon are there... I'm grasping at straws though, hope this tides you over til you get some better info. :smile:

ahhh, yes, it does tide me over. I've been searching online too but found nothing interesting yet. Thanks for the info!

misskitty

The ASC can be in Via Combusta. My astrology program tracks this. I think it refers to the state of mind of the querent, similar to having the querent located in the 8th house (worry, fretting, anxiety, etc).

SagiCap

The ASC can be in Via Combusta. My astrology program tracks this. I think it refers to the state of mind of the querent, similar to having the querent located in the 8th house (worry, fretting, anxiety, etc).

Aha, very interesting. That definately would describe things well for the horary I'm questioning. Thank you for the confirmation!

dr. farr

The body of traditionalist teaching (which I have studied over the years) limits the effects of Via Combusta pretty much to the Moon being in it; modern astrology does not recognize this condition (or at least does not accord much influence to it)
As I have mentioned elsewhere on AW regarding Via Combusta (horary section), I do believe that there is an effect and further that it is not limited to the Moon but can apply to planets and Parts found therein, and certainly to asc and other cusps as well: it is, as Charles Carter would say, a "degree area", and I believe that various degree-areas have certain properties which translate into astrologically-modifying influences. I agree with the above opinions of Eternalautumn and Misskitty regarding this question.

Munch

I'm actually still not clear what it means then. Does it mean the querent should ask again later like in the case of the void of course moon?

SagiCap

I'm actually still not clear what it means then. Does it mean the querent should ask again later like in the case of the void of course moon?

It's more like, the querent is their own worst enemy, seeing things negatively or being pessimistic. It's something they placed on themselves internally, not coming from an outside force. Kind of like, if you're depressed, you'll create a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Anachiel

Agreeing here with Dr. Farr.

Traditionally, only the Moon is subject to being in the Via Combusta. Here is why (well, at least a brief suggestion of why):

15 degrees of Libra to the end of Libra is the exaltation of Saturn and from the beginning of Scorpio to 15 degrees is the fall of the Moon and a strong placement for Mars. Also, the Sun is in it's fall in Libra and the Moon in its fall in Scorpio. So, in short, the luminaries do not do well in this area of the zodiac, as far as dignity goes.

Now, this does not mean that if you are a LIbra or a Scorpio that you are bad, or that any other planet is un-naturally afflicted. Every planet has it's home like every dog has it's day.

Now, when the Moon is in the Via Combusta, it afflicts the querent with [allegedly] unreasonalble or irrational thoughts. The Moon rules the mind, traditionally, as well as the spirit. So, when the Moon is not well placed the person is "stirred up", so to speak. This is why they warm, traditionally, not to pronounce a judgment when the Moon is in the Via Combusta because it is, well....drama, an unfounded question or something is wrong with the question or the context it is presented in.

It does not mean you absolutely cannot judge the chart...just do not pronounce a judgment or finality to the matter. Give a wide berth to the question, a grain of salt for the querent and follow-up on the matter as it is not so easily resolved. In old movies this is where the show would end with a cliff-hanger and the words, "to be continued....".

Munch

Ahh, thank you both. I don't know if I was clear in my question as I was referring to the ascendant being via combusta.

Still, this is extremely useful and helpful information. It makes sense in the case of the luminaries but not really the ascendant using the logic presented. I could see it impacting the POF but I don't know about ascendant.

Anachiel

Oh, I almost forgot, this Via Combusta of the Moon applies only to horary.

It is basically a good time to let the querent air out their laundry and talk the matter out. In this, the real matter is revealed and perhaps a better question as well, hopefully posed when the Moon is beyond the Via Combusta.