Robert Hand book about aspects in natal chart?

tobby

I'd like to ask if there is a book by Robert Hand with interpretations of planetary aspects in a natal chart.

Thank you. :smile:

waybread

The book is called Planets in Youth. Despite the title, it is the best book on aspects I know of, for people of all ages.

tobby

Thanks a lot for the information, this is obviously what I'm looking for. Unfortunately it's currently out of print but I hope I'll find a copy. :smile:

waybread

I just checked it out on amazon.com . They had links to several used book sellers with inexpensive copies. There are also copies available at abebooks.com, an Internet used book seller. I think you can order it.

tobby

You are correct, there are still ways to obtain a copy. It also seems that you can find one in a quite reasonable price too. :happy:

tikana

I'd like to ask if there is a book by Robert Hand with interpretations of planetary aspects in a natal chart.

Thank you. :smile:

No he does not have such book however there is a book called Essays on astrology. He really goes into explaining how natal charts work.

tobby

No he does not have such book however there is a book called Essays on astrology. He really goes into explaining how natal charts work.
There are on the internet some documents which contain interpretations by various astrologers on placements and aspects (here is one of them) and among others they include the interpretation of Robert Hand as well.
In each case the text is taken from books written by those astrologers on natal chart aspects (e.g. "Astrological insights into personality" by Betty Lundsted) so I assumed that the excepts by Robert Hand must have been taken from a specific book written by him.
Are you sure that this book cannot be "Planets in Youth" as it was suggested above? :unsure:

tikana

Tobby

i have that book .. it really goes into a child's aspects but adults and children handle aspects differently. Robert Hand explains brilliantly aspects in horoscope symbols the mechanics of astrological chart

"Astrological insights into personality" should have bibliography in the back see what book titles are there under Robert Hand's name
Besides, Robert Hand had co-written a lot of books with other astrologers

perosonally i am morphing from modern to tradtional. I am a bit disappointed with modern astrology.

Good questions!

T

tikana

Does the book 'Planets in Youth' expound the natal aspects when applied to those of all ages, or is it just an exposition on discerning the aspects as they become evident in a child? I would be interested in this book if written to the former. But there is nothing written of its content on amazon.

"
For the first time, in Planets in Youth, a major astrologer looks at children and childhood. Robert Hand, one of the leading proponents of the psychological approach to astrology, in his definition of childhood, says, "What the child appears to be as a child is not very important. It may be fascinating to have an astrologer correctly describe a child's apparent personality, but it is not useful. It is much more important to view the child as a developing adult, to consider the kind of adult likely to arise out of the child's apparent personality...Many persons whose childhoods were miserable have ultimately been very happy and self-fulfilled. The reverse is also true, and every other combination of miserable or happy childhood and adulthood as well. The view of the child as an adult in the process of becoming is the orientation that this books takes.""

that is from review

shrug
T

waybread

Look folks, just do a google search on Robert Hand, or look up his titles on amazon.com . Note that after writing some basic books in the 1980s (like Planets in Composite) he shifted his focus to reviving the lost works of medieval astrologers. You'll see a chapter where he gives a medieval chart reading in Rafael Nasser, Under One Sky.

I wouldn't call him a psychological astrologer today. I certainly wouldn't classify him together with Liz Greene, even when he was writing modern astrology books.

Planets in Youth is really good for people of all ages. I suspect it's pitched towards teenagers, not the itsy bitsies. It does give planets in signs and houses, but what it focuses on are aspects. Too often, aspects are neglected by beginning/intermediate astrologers. I can't think of a better book on aspects, in fact. Sometimes Hand will say, "You might be like..... when you are older," but it isn't hard to interpolate.

Horoscope symbols is probably more for someone who already understands astrology. It is a good astrology 201 or 301 textbook. Although it has material on aspects, they occupy a small percentage of the book. The Essays book focuses on a few specific issues. Probably astrology 401.

tikana

how can you even bring up Liz Greene with Robert Hand??? Liz Greene sounds like she just stepped off from time mythology boat.
Robert Hand did extensive work on traditional astrology which cannot be said about that lunatic Liz. FYI, Robert Hand is working on another traditional astrology book (source his website)

dr. farr

I owe a great deal to Robert Hand because his 1998 booklet on Whole Signs directly led to my complete conversion from Placidus to the wonderful and-I belive-most highly accurate Whole Sign house format.

Zaphod

Planets in Youth is really good for people of all ages. I suspect it's pitched towards teenagers, not the itsy bitsies. It does give planets in signs and houses, but what it focuses on are aspects. Too often, aspects are neglected by beginning/intermediate astrologers. I can't think of a better book on aspects, in fact. Sometimes Hand will say, "You might be like..... when you are older," but it isn't hard to interpolate.

Exactly what I was thinking. Planets in Youth always struck me as one of the better aspect books for all ages. It doesn't take much of a shift in perspective to make the descriptions applicable to any age group.