How did you get into astrology?

timemachineride

We had a matchmaker form we all had to do in the sixth grade. They asked what your sign was, and I put Scorpio. And I wondered what was so fascinating about that. I went home and looked up my sun sign and found a lot. I thought "this is it?" I realized there was more, and ever since I've been into astrology.

oriel

when I was kid my cousin used to buy horoscope and astrology magazines and also feng shui magazines.I liked reading it.I don't remember how young I was that time.Then in my teenage years I'm still interested but I dunno yet what is a natal chart.Until I think I reached my late teens,I knew about natal charts but I was sort of confused and didn't really paid attention because I was reading other stuffs like reincarnation,karma and gnosticism,then now just recently I stared checking out natal charts and stuffs in there..:tongue:

KaylaTheTaurean

I have never been a religious person, I have always been very logical which is why I got into astrology. Nothing else ever seemed right, astrology has helped me gain insight and see the world in a universal perspective. I can honestly say astrology helps fill in the missing pieces in my beliefs and spirituality.

bevrostant

I was always interested in astrology as a child but studied astrology seriously and conducted research in 1990.

I became involved in Susan Miller's message board as (pisces_1) over the years and met a lot of wonderful people there.

Susan was the one who told me I should become professional, so I did and now teach through the C.A.A.E astrology online classes of all types as well as giving reading and lecturing at Donna Van Toens S.O.T.A.

Astrology is my passion........If anyone goes to S.O.T.A. this year in Niagara Falls, NY come by and say hi :happy:

Bev.

greybeard

Interesting thread....

My mother, bless her bohemian soul....
Well, she had the Moon in Leo, angular -- and Uranus rising
And she was a Free Spirit who needed a bit of attention.

One of the ways she got that attention was to ask "What sign are you?", and off she would go.
I was about 9 years old and brought a friend home from school to play.
When George and I walked in the front door, there sat Mom....
Playing her out of tune guitar with 4 strings, her bottle of Schlitz and the ashtray overflowing with Lucky Strike butts on the little wrought iron table with its black-and-ivory tiled checkerboard top, singing some hillbilly spiritual in her croaking voice......

"Hi Mom. This is George."
Mom jumps up from the old overstuffed blue chair.
"Hi Georgie. What sign are you?"
George, like me, is 9 years old. There is a blank uncomprehending stare on his face.
"Georgie, what's your birthday?"
George understands "birthday."....."May 14th" he says, not quite sure if he should answer, but he's trapped.
"Oh, you're a Taurus, you stubborn little devil you!"
I wanted to crawl under the rug, but we didn't have one.

Same year, Mom sends $25 (1951-- about 2 days' average wage) to some guy named Gus from Pueblo, Colorado who had an ad in American Astrology or Horoscope magazine. He sent back my personal horoscope. I read it twice and it passed into oblivion. I recall how the "reading" for Sun square Uranus began: "You've sown your wild oats -- and how!" Rather a strange thing to say to a 9 year old boy, but.....

So, I came to detest astrology. What stupid nonsense (and it had embarrassed me countless times through my mother.)

Fast forward to Mexico, June 1972. It was a hot day even for a Sinaloa summer. I was an English teacher, walking down the hot sidewalk between one class and another, and had a few minutes to kill. As I walked along, I passed the open door to a bookstore. I stopped, backed up, walked into the bookstore. Books are my fatal attraction. As I passed over the threshold of that bookstore, literally in the doorway....a little voice in my head said, "Get a book on astrology."

I had not even thought about astrology in years. My distaste for it had not diminished.

And directly in front of the doorway stood one of those little revolving book racks. I walked up to it to see what it offered. There, 500 miles below the border, in English, stood A Time for Astrology by Jess Stearn. Jess Stearn wasn't even an astrologer. He was a sort of literary voyeur who wrote about things like psychics, UFOs, astrology...

Not wanting to offend the little voice, I bought the book. I read it. It was well done, and even showed how to do a solar return. It had monthly tables of planetary positions in the back. I decided to do a solar return as a test of astrology's validity. I chose the year of my first marriage as a significant year. And I found that Saturn, lord of my 7th, Venus, planet of love and relationships, and Mars, that passionate sexy devil, were all clustered tightly at my 7th cusp. Hmmm, says I. This seems like more than coincidence.

Still cynical, I decided to look a little deeper. One of the first astrology books I found was Grant Lewi's Heaven Knows What. I thumbed through it, came to Sun square Uranus, and it said "You've sown your wild oats -- and how!" Good old Gus knew how to make an easy buck. Well, at least I was old enough by now to have sown a few wild oats -- and how!

Last edited:

astro11

I was always interested in astrology as a child but studied astrology seriously and conducted research in 1990.

I became involved in Susan Miller's message board as (pisces_1) over the years and met a lot of wonderful people there.

Susan was the one who told me I should become professional, so I did and now teach through the C.A.A.E astrology online classes of all types as well as giving reading and lecturing at Donna Van Toens S.O.T.A.

Astrology is my passion........If anyone goes to S.O.T.A. this year in Niagara Falls, NY come by and say hi :happy:

Bev.

I'll also be giving a lecture at S.O.T.A this year, look forward to meeting you there!

astro11

My interest in astrology started when I was 11. I was always very interested in psychology, human motivation and reading people to begin with. I happened to read the horoscope column in the newspaper one day and I found it to be true. I had expressed my interest to everyone around me and my friend in the sixth grade for Christmas bought be Sydney Omarr's Gemini predictive book. I was fascinated by the accuracy with which he described the planets in signs and how it explained people's characteristics so well. Even the predictive section was accurate. I then bought Your Stars are Numbered by Lloyd Cope, it was on Astronumerology, again this book was right on target and I was hooked. It has been my main passion since then.

Zonark

Interesting thread....

My mother, bless her bohemian soul....
Well, she had the Moon in Leo, angular -- and Uranus rising
And she was a Free Spirit who needed a bit of attention.

One of the ways she got that attention was to ask "What sign are you?", and off she would go.
I was about 9 years old and brought a friend home from school to play.
When George and I walked in the front door, there sat Mom....
Playing her out of tune guitar with 4 strings, her bottle of Schlitz and the ashtray overflowing with Lucky Strike butts on the little wrought iron table with its black-and-ivory tiled checkerboard top, singing some hillbilly spiritual in her croaking voice......

"Hi Mom. This is George."
Mom jumps up from the old overstuffed blue chair.
"Hi Georgie. What sign are you?"
George, like me, is 9 years old. There is a blank uncomprehending stare on his face.
"Georgie, what's your birthday?"
George understands "birthday."....."May 14th" he says, not quite sure if he should answer, but he's trapped.
"Oh, you're a Taurus, you stubborn little devil you!"
I wanted to crawl under the rug, but we didn't have one.

Same year, Mom sends $25 (1951-- about 2 days' average wage) to some guy named Gus from Pueblo, Colorado who had an ad in American Astrology or Horoscope magazine. He sent back my personal horoscope. I read it twice and it passed into oblivion. I recall how the "reading" for Sun square Uranus began: "You've sown your wild oats -- and how!" Rather a strange thing to say to a 9 year old boy, but.....

So, I came to detest astrology. What stupid nonsense (and it had embarrassed me countless times through my mother.)

Fast forward to Mexico, June 1972. It was a hot day even for a Sinaloa summer. I was an English teacher, walking down the hot sidewalk between one class and another, and had a few minutes to kill. As I walked along, I passed the open door to a bookstore. I stopped, backed up, walked into the bookstore. Books are my fatal attraction. As I passed over the threshold of that bookstore, literally in the doorway....a little voice in my head said, "Get a book on astrology."

I had not even thought about astrology in years. My distaste for it had not diminished.

And directly in front of the doorway stood one of those little revolving book racks. I walked up to it to see what it offered. There, 500 miles below the border, in English, stood A Time for Astrology by Jess Stearn. Jess Stearn wasn't even an astrologer. He was a sort of literary voyeur who wrote about things like psychics, UFOs, astrology...

Not wanting to offend the little voice, I bought the book. I read it. It was well done, and even showed how to do a solar return. It had monthly tables of planetary positions in the back. I decided to do a solar return as a test of astrology's validity. I chose the year of my first marriage as a significant year. And I found that Saturn, lord of my 7th, Venus, planet of love and relationships, and Mars, that passionate sexy devil, were all clustered tightly at my 7th cusp. Hmmm, says I. This seems like more than coincidence.

Still cynical, I decided to look a little deeper. One of the first astrology books I found was Grant Lewi's Heaven Knows What. I thumbed through it, came to Sun square Uranus, and it said "You've sown your wild oats -- and how!" Good old Gus knew how to make an easy buck. Well, at least I was old enough by now to have sown a few wild oats -- and how!

That was an entertaining read greybeard, well done :biggrin:

Zonark

I've always been drawn to spiritualism and the occult from a young age but I also had a deep love for scientific thinking and rational skepticism. I was raised Catholic and my mother and father passed down a weird mix of rational belief, Catholic dogma and superstition. For instance my mother always told me psychics and astrologers were devil worshipers.

I experienced a fair share of paranormal events and despite the rational thinking that led me to abandon the religion of my upbringing at age 10, I always had a sincere belief that there was far more to the universe than the dogma of scientific skepticism proclaimed.

I thought of astrology as just another form of psychic chicanery up until age 20, when, being at the library and going through a period of deep soul searching, I saw a Llewelynn Publishing astrology book on how to calculate a natal chart using an ephemeris. I picked it up, along with a copy of the Golden Bough fully expecting to scoff at what I would find inside.

I did scoff and I did return the book, but for some reason my interest in astrology started growing there like a weed. I began to wonder whether I had just misunderstood the book.

I researched astrology heavily on the internet. The potential for hidden treasures concerning my personal destiny attracted me, despite my skeptical reservations. The interest grew perniciously and now I am actively watering and pruning that weed.

There is something to it.

Last edited:

furclean183

On my part, I got interested in astrology during my school days. When my classmates and friends started talking about astrology. Looking up for a daily astrology tips.

capricorn6

Premium Member
I was looking for one of my old report cards but ended up finding torn out pages of an astrology book (I was nine years old and it wasn't the most "kid-friendly" book... but I read it anyway). My mother had already told me about the signs a few months before then, so when I read about it, I got hooked and just kept reading it until I became obsessed. I'm now 19 years old and still study it from time to time, what with schoolwork and all. :biggrin:

Moonwind

I grew up in a Pagan-ish household, so it was par for the course. Lots of full moon rituals & tarot cards came with it. But, I was most drawn to astrology because of my general fascination with the planets themselves. I did a lot of creative visualization while listening to this. I was obsessed with the fantasy of being able to fly to these planets, and live on them. LOL

Carolus Optimus

I stumbled upon a treatise on astrology, I read it and I knew I was lost. I simply felt that this is true and since then I know no more fascinating topic than the Art of Stars.

poyi

Premium Member
I always have deep thoughts about life, death, illness, life purpose and destiny. Being a very lonely child. I spent a lot of time thinking why I was born and later found out my mum never wanted me to be born and wanted to give me away. So I guess my desire to understanding my self identity and the world around me started when I was still inside her womb. I guess I sensed that I had to find my own way to love and purpose in life. I instinctively know that my family will never teach me this lesson through love and normal family life.

In my most desperate time in life early teenage years, I started buying Chinese Astrology books along with palmistry, 8 characters, dream interpretation books from local bookstore. In Hong Kong it is very welcome/common for people to ask destiny questions from ancient arts. It was available in common bookstore and you see people in all ages standing that section to do free reading of the books. It is basically everywhere from magazine to extensive TV program, traditional temples everywhere and I remember we used to have street full of various kind of Occultists and fortune tellers. No one will call you insane or laughed at you. Instead people are often very curious and accepted it very easily. But among Christian and Catholic, it is a Big Taboo. Anyhow, I continue to practice and learn in my own private time.

Astrology had taught me a great deal about our universe, purpose in life, human behaviors, our struggles/limitation and learn to forgive them and feel for them. I understand that we are together as a whole. It has given me a lot of spiritual liberation more than religion itself. To me Astrology is a tool to see the Light of God which is very well believed by the Vedic astrologers.

akshat005

My interest is in Astrology always. When I read books and articles about astrology, horoscope and other about zodiac sign, I have felt something interesting that keep my mind into this subject.