Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Traditional Astrology

Traditional Astrology For discussions on Traditional Astrology only. (Note: Typically, traditional astrology is defined as using techniques developed prior to 1700 by astrologers from the Hellenistic, Persian, Hebrew, and Renaissance eras. In general, it relies on Ptolemaic aspects (sextile, trine, square, opposition and conjunction) though there may be some exceptions, and always excludes modern planets (Neptune, Uranus and Pluto,) as well as any asteroids. The focus is less on what would be considered modern psychological chart interpretation and more on prediction. Members who wish to explore a combination of traditional and modern ideas should feel free to start a new thread in an appropriate forum for further discussion.)

Unread 07-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Synastry using traditional methodology

Hey Trad Astrologers!

I've been looking on the net for something written that may have a kind of list of what to look for when doing Synastry Charts but using Traditional methods and only found one such site but you have to pay and send off for their report. I was hoping for some insight here from one of y'all.

Thanks in advance guys.....
Serafin 5

Alicia Michelle Serafin ~ Facebook
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Account Closed

Re: Synastry using traditional methodology

Synastry was not as complex as it is now. There is some in Ptolemy's Tetrabibilos and more in Masha'allah's Book of Aristotle. From memory , the extent of Ptolemy"s is to have good figures between the lumunaries of the couple while Masha'allah, using Dorotheus' text as a source, is looking at Lots in regard to friendship and enmities.
The Following User Says Thank You to Konrad For This Useful Post:
serafin5 (07-04-2014)
Unread 07-24-2014, 05:36 PM

William Lilly wrote on traditional synastry in his natal book (CA III, p. 637-639, "Whether there may be Concord or Unity between two").

From my experience, the Ascendent (+Ruler), Sun and Moon are the most important factors in synastry.

Thus Time devoureth all, and doth all waste,
And we waste Time, and so we're ev'n at last. -
John Gadbury
The Following User Says Thank You to Edward For This Useful Post:
serafin5 (08-06-2014)
Unread 12-04-2014, 04:33 PM

Do you mean that you look closely at the actual ASC point to see if it is aspected by planets? Or do you look at both people's ASC ruler and see if they are aspected and by which planets? Or both?

Did the traditional astrologers not look at aspects of luminaries as well as Venus and Mars?
Unread 12-04-2014, 05:19 PM

From what I recall in reading on this subject, traditional synastry interpretation placed much of the emphasis on the signs of the luminaries and ascendant, rather than on particular degrees/houses. It's presumed this was due to the less precise nature of calculating the degrees and houses (though I don't really know that this characterization is entirely accurate).

For instance, if the Sun of native A and Moon of native B were in the same sign, there was considered to exist an immediate affinity between the two persons, regardless of orb or house placement. This is considered to be a classic marriage aspect.
Unread 12-04-2014, 08:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kaiousei no Senshi Send a message via Skype™ to Kaiousei no Senshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arena
Do you mean that you look closely at the actual ASC point to see if it is aspected by planets? Or do you look at both people's ASC ruler and see if they are aspected and by which planets? Or both?
Both. Aspects of one partner's Sun, Moon, or Ascendant Lord to the other's Ascendant, and then aspects between the two partners' Suns, Moons, and Ascendant Lords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretolearn
It's presumed this was due to the less precise nature of calculating the degrees and houses (though I don't really know that this characterization is entirely accurate).
No, it's because of whole sign aspectual theory and Assembly.

www.medievalastrologyguide.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaiousei no Senshi For This Useful Post:
heretolearn (12-04-2014), JUPITERASC (12-04-2014)
Unread 12-04-2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiousei no Senshi View Post
Both. Aspects of one partner's Sun, Moon, or Ascendant Lord to the other's Ascendant, and then aspects between the two partners' Suns, Moons, and Ascendant Lords.

No, it's because of whole sign aspectual theory and Assembly.
Ah, that makes better sense. Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2014, 10:22 PM

I remember seeing some material on synastry in Dorotheus's book. I believe it is Book 2 or Book 4, most likely the former. If I remember correctly, one of the considerations was regarding the Moon positions of both parties. I don't remember much else, but it was quite interesting.

Larxene Xenohart

The appearance changes, but the essence remains.

It is best to live life without any expectations. For if you expected something and obtained nothing, you would be disappointed. But if you had expected nothing and yet obtained something, you would be delighted instead.

"Success is thy proof: argue not; convert not; talk not overmuch."

Tags
methodology, synastry, traditional