The true meaning of Sun sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

dranzer93

Banned
I feel like there needs to be a thread on getting to the bottom of what the sun truly means... The sun is now neglected over the moon and I think that just because emotions are tangible doesn't mean that the sun should be neglected. After all the sun gives life to everything here. To me the sun is the heart and essence of the person, literally what they are made from spiritually. For example a famous author. No matter how many books they write they will always be written with the same signature stamp, no matter how hard the author tries to repel from that no matter how different the story is, it will always be done in style of that author. So the sun seems to work like a brand or something.

In my practice and personal way of astrology I often look at astrology in an astronomical way to find answers. The sun gives light to our planets, including our moon. So in other words it gives life to our emotions, which means the sun is connected to our emotions more than we think. Almost like our emotions are always going to be filtered and - in style of - our sun. I would even go as far as saying that our emotions are born from our sun sign. This means the sun gives birth to our emotions, this means the sun has something to do with our emotions more then anybody gives credit for...

I am Pisces sun with Scorpio moon. Scorpio is also unaspected in my chart, so you bet that I am 100% full on scorpio, but all this revengefulness? No I am way too sensitive for anything let alone that. So this is where Pisces sun seems to show up...

All in all I would like a discussion on fellow astrologers working together to solve the riddles to what the Sun truly does for us as I believe that this is one of the reasons why Vedic seems limited to me astrologically speaking and humans are way too complex and perplexing for that.

Here is my chart anyway

[deleted offensive comment - Moderator]

Attachments

• astro_2gw_02_link_keira_maslami.82489.11114Brighton.jpg
    astro_2gw_02_link_keira_maslami.82489.11114Brighton.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:

waybread

I think the sun is one's core sense of identity or self. By sign and house, who must you become in order to feel most true to yourself?

This is modern astrology. In certain contexts the sun is also the father (in a day birth), one's ruler (mundane astrology), or possibly a woman's husband (or the type of man she would most like to marry.)

I think these images developed at a time when most people couldn't much self-actualize. A woman was expected to be a wife and mother, period; so any more external aspirations would have to be realized through her husband. At one time in astrology's history, the ascendant, therefore, was more closely identified with the unique individual.

With those watery trines involving your sun, your exact sun-Neptune sextile, and your watery ascendant and moon, I would imagine your outlook on life to be very empathic and feeling.

I part company with the traditional astrologers over the menaing of the sun conjunct another planet. I don't see the other planet as weakened. Rather I think it shows what energies the person identifies with. For example, with sun conjunct Mercury, you proably identify (sun) with your intelligence (Mercury).

I also note that Scorpio is an intercepted sign (along with Taurus) in your chart, suggesting that your moon will not function in an unimpeded Scorpio fashion.

I think generally one's sun is stronger than one's moon, with the exception of a moon domiciled in Cancer. This seems to give the person a strongly Cancerian outlook on life, moreso than the sun sign. [Just my personal impression.]

[deleted quote of offensive comment - Moderator]

kimbermoon

I agree with Waybread's input totally. The Sun also represents the role we ultimately play in life, and the directions of life we choose for ourselves.. Also the synastry between the Sun[yang] and Moon [yin] is of significance, in it's representation of the Lunar phase at birth, which provides details about the relationship of the parents in childhood...as such it sets up the imprint of how our own later relationships then play out. Afflictions to the Sun can set up an imprint of troubled or contentious relations between the parents, which the child interprets as the basic role model, which then becomes embedded in the psyche; our parents set the foundation for our own relationships, reflecting what we witnessed as a child. Very often, as an adult, we then subconsciously try to re-create the parental dynamic, in an attempt to resolve our own inner conflicts carried over from the past. Since Mercury is never far from the Sun, our consciousness is also affected by the exchange between the Sun and Moon. For example I was born under a trine aspect, during the Disseminating phase of the Moon, and this relates to one who ultimately becomes a seeker of knowledge and understanding. I do have a questioning mind and am strongly driven to share my knowledge with others. Those born under the Full Moon tend to have an enhanced conscious awareness and can be more aware of their own needs and those of others. They are apt to encounter frequent polarized encounters in life, demanding clarity and resolution. As per conjunctions of the Sun, I think they serve generally to illuminate or vitalize the energies of the planet in conjunct, unless the Sun is afflicted or in detriment. I have Jupiter joined with my Sun and this has certainly served to enhance my yearning to learn and expand my perceptions and awareness. I also identify strongly with the qualities of judiciousness, righteousness, charity and generosity.

waybread

Kimbermoon raises an interesting point (as in, I wish I'd thought of that!) about the lunation cycle, otherwise known as the changing aspect relations between the sun and moon as the moon runs faster than the sun.

So of course, the luminaries have to be related in this way.

One other area to consider is the sun-moon midpoint. If we throw in the ascendant we get the part of fortune.

Moog

All in all I would like a discussion on fellow astrologers working together to solve the riddles to what the Sun truly does for us as I believe that this is one of the reasons why Vedic seems limited to me astrologically speaking and humans are way too complex and perplexing for that.

Vedic astrology generally puts the Moon ahead of the Sun, that's true. But it's just an order. Sun, Moon, Ascendant, or Moon, Sun, Ascendant, or whatever order you want. Look at Uranus, Neptune and Pluto first if you want, it's common enough.

The Sun is considered the signifier of atma, the eternal soul, which is hardly relegating it to a wee nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ātman_(Hinduism)

dranzer93

Banned
Vedic astrology generally puts the Moon ahead of the Sun, that's true. But it's just an order. Sun, Moon, Ascendant, or Moon, Sun, Ascendant, or whatever order you want. Look at Uranus, Neptune and Pluto first if you want, it's common enough.

The Sun is considered the signifier of atma, the eternal soul, which is hardly relegating it to a wee nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ātman_(Hinduism)

Actually I've seen Vedic Neglect the Moon and even go as far as saying the sun is not important, the moon is the most important.

dranzer93

Banned
I think the sun is one's core sense of identity or self. By sign and house, who must you become in order to feel most true to yourself?

This is modern astrology. In certain contexts the sun is also the father (in a day birth), one's ruler (mundane astrology), or possibly a woman's husband (or the type of man she would most like to marry.)

I think these images developed at a time when most people couldn't much self-actualize. A woman was expected to be a wife and mother, period; so any more external aspirations would have to be realized through her husband. At one time in astrology's history, the ascendant, therefore, was more closely identified with the unique individual.

With those watery trines involving your sun, your exact sun-Neptune sextile, and your watery ascendant and moon, I would imagine your outlook on life to be very empathic and feeling.

I part company with the traditional astrologers over the menaing of the sun conjunct another planet. I don't see the other planet as weakened. Rather I think it shows what energies the person identifies with. For example, with sun conjunct Mercury, you proably identify (sun) with your intelligence (Mercury).

I also note that Scorpio is an intercepted sign (along with Taurus) in your chart, suggesting that your moon will not function in an unimpeded Scorpio fashion.

I think generally one's sun is stronger than one's moon, with the exception of a moon domiciled in Cancer. This seems to give the person a strongly Cancerian outlook on life, moreso than the sun sign. [Just my personal impression.]

Scorpio moon being fallen already along with it unaspected in my chart has exposed the Scorpio energy so much more, because it is badly placed it is completely one sided in my personality. But my sun alone has completely Piscean hearted me, so I think that sun must mean heart and soul even without the aspects. [deleted apology for offensive comment - Moderator]

dr. farr

Although I am not a Vedic practitioner, I have studied jyotish thoroughly, and I can state that, in the significant literature, the Sun ("Surya") is NOT neglected in the Vedic astrological systems (mainstream Parasara or minority systems Jaimini and Nadi); see for example "Surya the Sun God", by K.S. Charak, or "Sun: the Cosmic Powerhouse" by P. Trivedi & Vela (both books available on the internet from astroamerica.com)

aquarius7000

Hi,

[deleted quote of attacking comment - Moderator]

I have never heard of Vedic Astrologers neglecting the Sun. Yes, they put the Moon before the Sun, but they never neglect the Sun. I have had readings, so I cannot agree with that at all.

It is a flaw with the astrologers perhaps from both fields of Astrology to neglect any one of the luminaries, but not a flaw of Vedic or Western Astrology. That is v important to understand!!!!!

:)AQ7

PS: If a Horary reading does not work, it is because I made a mistake as an aspiring astrologer, not because Horary does not work.

dranzer93

Banned
Hi,

I have never heard of Vedic Astrologers neglecting the Sun. Yes, they put the Moon before the Sun, but they never neglect the Sun. I have had readings, so I cannot agree with that at all.

It is a flaw with the astrologers perhaps from both fields of Astrology to neglect any one of the luminaries, but not a flaw of Vedic or Western Astrology. That is v important to understand!!!!! Or we are the biggest dumbasses ourselves.

PS: If a Horary reading does not work, it is because I made a mistake as an aspiring astrologer, not because Horary does not work.

They put the moon before the sun as if it is the sun, this is form of neglect.

aquarius7000

Hi,
They put the moon before the sun as if it is the sun, this is form of neglect.

If we stepped back and go a bit deeper, perhaps we think of it as neglect just because Western Astrology puts the Sun before the Moon? Perhaps, practitioners of Vedic Astrology say the same thing about Western Astrologers that we are ignorant, as they put the Moon ahead of the Sun.

Essentially, if we all, Dranzer, thought carefully with a cool mind above all, anyone learning/practising Astrology CANNOT do so without including both the luminaries - and that is a fact! The Sun and the Moon are the two ends of the astrological pole or axis. Vedic Astrology, the older of the two astrological fields, starts out at the Moon pole, whilst we in Western Astrology start out at the Sun pole. Fact is that the Sun canNOT exist without the Moon, just like there can be NO day without the Night.

PS: Dranzer, to share something with you, I also used to think the Sun is everything and the Moon only foolish emotions, (or nothing in Astrology) until I dug a bit deeper. It can be a question only of 60:40 weightage, nothing else. But I am glad I let myself be corrected by reading more and was open to listening to others' views. Since, as I am sure you'll agree with me, those who get stuck at their own view point and let their ego get the better of them, they never progress. They may get the satisfaction of feeding their ego (making wrong use of the Sun's energy), but do NOT experience the light (Sun) of knowledge - that was not the intention they came here or live with, even. I am glad I did not make that mistake for too long. :)

Last edited:

dranzer93

Banned
Hi,

If we stepped back and go a bit deeper, perhaps we think of it as neglect just because Western Astrology puts the Sun before the Moon? Perhaps, practitioners of Vedic Astrology say the same thing about Western Astrologers that we are ignorant, as they put the Moon ahead of the Sun.

Essentially, if we all, Dranzer, thought carefully with a cool mind above all, anyone learning/practising Astrology CANNOT do so without including both the luminaries - and that is a fact! The Sun and the Moon are the two ends of the astrological pole or axis. Vedic Astrology, the older of the two astrological fields, starts out at the Moon pole, whilst we in Western Astrology start out at the Sun pole. Fact is that the Sun canNOT exist without the Moon, just like there can be NO day without the Night.

PS: Dranzer, to share something with you, I also used to think the Sun is everything and the Moon only foolish emotions, (or nothing in Astrology) until I dug a bit deeper. It can be a question only of 60:40 weightage, nothing else. But I am glad I let myself be corrected by reading more and was open to listening to others' views. Since, as I am sure you'll agree with me, those who get stuck at their own view point and let their ego get the better of them, they never progress. They may get the satisfaction of feeding their ego (making wrong use of the Sun's energy), but do NOT experience the light (Sun) of knowledge - that was not the intention they came here or live with, even. I am glad I did not make that mistake for too long. :)

I never once said I lessened the moon, it is as important as ever but I was trying to heighten the sun as it feels neglected under the moon. I know all of this... I am not one of these ''western astrologers'' I never said I neglected the moon over the sun or the sun over the moon, I said that I consider them both at the same level, so why are you using an example of vedic astrologers disagreeing with western astrologers when I never even made a neglectful statement yet I am my own astrologer anyway...

wilsontc

Staff member
Stop it NOW

All,

Please stop attacking and counterattacking. I have edited this thread, deleting and editing all the many attacking comments. Get back to astrology and find a way to state your opinion politely. Any continued attacking comments will be deleted. If this problem continues it may be necessary to ban members who can not get along with other members on the Forum.

Strongly warning,

Tim

Update: I have banned Dranzer93 and locked down this thread against any further comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.