Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

Unfortunately, for this article, I'm "white, straight, middle-class, cis gender( not sure what this is!), able-bodied women.", so she isn't interested in me.

I prefer to be all-inclusive, all women.

Please don't use the term "cis" in this context. It really doesn't apply.

Those who psychologically accept their birth gender should be called "progender", if such labeling is absolutely necessary.

"Progender" is the appropriate counterpart to "transgender", the label for one whose birth gender and psychological gender don't match up.

I also prefer to be addressed by the terms "he, his, and him".

I'm NOT "they, or "it". Or, that weird made up pronoun I can't even remember at the moment.

Formally addressed, I prefer "mister", and Mr. when it's written.

Last edited:

ElenaJ

Please don't use the term "cis" in this context. It really doesn't apply.

Those who psychologically accept their birth gender should be called "progender", if such labeling is absolutely necessary.

"Progender" is the appropriate counterpart to "transgender", the label for one whose birth gender and psychological gender don't match up.

I also prefer to be addressed by the terms "he, his, and him".

I'm NOT "they, or "it". Or, that weird made up pronoun I can't even remember at the moment.

Formally addressed, I prefer "mister", and Mr. when it's written.

David, I have no clue what it even means, the journalist in the article wrote it.
So tell me, what is CIS?

ElenaJ

I've given up on you guys, so went to wikipedia.

"A cisgender person is one whose gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth. For example, someone who identifies as a woman and was identified as female at birth is a cisgender woman. The word cisgender is the antonym of transgender. Related terms include cissexism and cisnormativity"

david starling

I've given up on you guys, so went to wikipedia.

"A cisgender person is one whose gender identity matches their sex assigned at birth. For example, someone who identifies as a woman and was identified as female at birth is a cisgender woman. The word cisgender is the antonym of transgender. Related terms include cissexism and cisnormativity"

That's not the real definition. It's from organic chemistry:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cis-trans_isomerism

david starling

So what does this have to do with gender identity?
In the article the journalist lists this very clearly.

"Trans" is easily recognizable, since it's used as a prefix in ordinary words like "transcontinental" and "transportation".

"Moving across" is the meaning in that context .

Someone, or some group, decided to use terminology from organic chemistry to describe a psychological condition previously described as "gender dysphoria", which means "dissatisfaction" with one's birth gender.

Applying "cis" and "trans" to gender identity is a new and sociological definition.

ElenaJ

It's so much easier to read a chart than follow this!

The explanation seemed to be it refers to someone who identifies to the gender they were born with.

"which means "dissatisfaction" with one's birth gender."

So where does the dissatisfaction come from?

david starling

It's so much easier to read a chart than follow this!

The explanation seemed to be it refers to someone who identifies to the gender they were born with.

"which means "dissatisfaction" with one's birth gender."

So where does the dissatisfaction come from?

The psychologists don't know, but it's apparently extremely debilitating and can lead to suicide. Really glad I don't have it, and my sympathies to anyone who does, if it's a really bad problem.

Oddity

If someone identifies with the gender they are born with, it's a problem?

There are a few things here. Sex assigned at birth. Do you really believe sex is assigned and not obvious? Apparently these loons do.

Cis was invented as a nasty little slur against normal people. Because if there's cis and trans and gay, they're all 'lifestyle choices'. Even though humans are a sexually dimorphic species, and you need a man and a woman to make a child, so 'cis' really isn't any kind of special category.

david starling

Identifying with the gender that you were born with is aptly described as being a psychologically "progender" person (approving of your physical birth gender).

Not identifying with it is aptly described as being a psychologically "transgender" person (feeling that it's necessary to move across to the other gender than the one you were physically born with).

If we have to label it, "progender" and "transgender" work for me.

And, since the labeling has become common social practice, my real objection is the inappropriate label "cis" for progender people.

Kinda like "straight" and "gay" in common parlance.

ElenaJ

Identifying with the gender that you were born with is aptly described as being a psychologically "progender" person (approving of your physical birth gender).

Not identifying with it is aptly described as being a psychologically "transgender" person (feeling that it's necessary to move across to the other gender than the one you were physically born with).

If we have to label it, "progender" and "transgender" work for me.

And, since the labeling has become common social practice, my real objection is the inappropriate label "cis" for progender people.

Kinda like "straight" and "gay" in common parlance.

Actually if you don't accept it, then you are a NO, so NCIS.