Saturn and Traditional Astrologers

conspiracy theorist

What a slew of ideas, Vyri. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this thread. A lot of it is off-topic, but you do provide some rationale as to why some modern astrologers practice their astrology with more focus on the outers and a rationale for the utility for the outers themselves, so you're post adds more than detracts. I'm going to touch on some of the things you've said and give my views on the matter.

"The relationship of everything to everything else", Macrocosm/Microcosm effect. The appearance or reason for the outter planets to quantify on a continuous qualifying basis, a spiritual oftentimes material revolutionary result; an awakening or reason for their appearances, that equate possibly experiences with consideration to mass accomplishments affecting a greater world cohesive togetherness. They make appearance in divergent ages considered to be on a precipace of being able to establish breaking ground enlighteining theories.

The Macrocosm/Microcosm effect is definitely built into astrology and it is true that the outer planets coincided with large scales changes that has affected and continues to effect the world in various domains for life. My issue with this is, should such coincidences/synchronicities be the basis of the effects of the planets? There's evidence that a lot of the current meanings of the three newer planets were given their significations from their inception (I'm going to read Sue Ward's paper to freshen up on the history behind them soon) and they seemed to have been taken as gospel. The reason why some prefer to rely on the traditional seven planets is not some slavishness toward tradition as some would like to think, but the fact that the seven planets gained has had millennia's worth of usage and thought behind them, which makes their significances in astrology more iron-clad, as they would have been tested and tested again for their validity. The outers are newer and are relatively untested in comparison, so I think it is unwise to run with what they supposedly signify 100%. I personally think that now is the time in their development to separate the wheat from the chaff in regard to their meaning and usage.

The moderns are of a theory that includes expansion necessary to improvements; to areas reflecting foundational free thinking values. The one, transformed against the value of many for example; the worthfulness as statement to deliver preimenant new age considerations as an emergence for the cause of continuation of mankind. Of Star Trek fame, Spock once said, "the one for the many" a media statement, the new planets give metaphor to. Coinciding to the discovery of these outer planets oftentimes brought into effect new successful experiments that contributed to lessening the ailments of an expansive world's population.
As populations increase these moderns also herald in new principalities changing or fine tuning laws needful to be put in place as we expand in our thinking to embrace a wider scope of values that must take into consideration a continent or collective expansiveness, with considerations of establishing world peace.

And do you suppose the "traditionals" are opposed to theories that facilitate expansion necessary to improvements? Don't misunderstand me, this question is not meant to provoke. But why is the assumption that one who prefers the tradition is automatically against any new developments or progress? What I notice in most of the traditionalists, or it at least the ones I respect, is that they are more interested in being accurate and legitimizing their practice by going back to the sources that started it all, and begin to take the useful bits from the un-useful. The new traditionalists are more like auditors of the ancient texts, not blind servants to King Ptolemy or some other stupidity. What it can be summed up with is, "If one wants to build something of true power and force, a solid foundation is necessary."

In regard to the second part of your statement, I'm not of the same opinion that what the outer planets coincided with was necessarily all "successful experiments that contributed to lessening the ailments of an expansive's world population" or "heralding in new principalities changing or fine tuning laws needful to be put in place as we expand in our thinking to embrace a wider scope of values that must take into consideration a continent or collective expansiveness, with considerations of establishing world peace.

For one, all the new planets that have come to the fore have been supposedly referred to as destabilizing to "normalcy" (Pre-Saturn planets). How could world war I and II, the creation of the atomic bomb, the rise of Nazi Germany, the whole situation of Russia, Mao Tse Tung's Communist regime which destroyed Chinese culture and displaced the Tibetans etc be characterized as facilitating world peace. Mark you, all of these atrocities occurred post trans-saturnians so one can't say their hands weren't related in some manner to what happened, if you were to look at the mundanoscope of those various events. And a lot of "progressive" ideas that are currently in vogue in the current day are doing more harm than good for the persons that they purport to protect. A lot of good has happened to the world in recent times, but don't discount the evil also.

This doesn't bring into consideration traditional mundane techniques that may have just as much validity in describing what transpired since Uranus' inception. In my personal opinion, I don't see how the traditional seven is able to describe elections, horaries and people quite well and then fall short in mundane practice.

It is complementary to an outer planets hidden intrinsic worth, that they would be discovered of a certain era, to be revealed of elements or energies that usher in new age theory related to various experiences the traditional planets don't adequately cover in explanation.

What are these new age theories and in what way the outer planets do a better job of explaining than the traditional planets?

Astrologically interpreted, they represent definitive elements that help us deliver more caring empathetic responses, as we are able to recognize a higher purpose of life that a statistic observance of there effectiveness will reference with careful study. So on a greater awareness level they represent myriad various experiences capable of being integrated into a world consciousness for improvement.

I don't see how one couldn't get the same result using more traditional methods. Traditionalists have a reputation for being more blunt and "doom and gloom" but when you actually look at how both "schools" go about doing their craft, you don't see much difference in tone (in the sense of emotional intelligence), in my estimation. And there is something to be said about the origins of the more modern types of astrology and the resultant difference in their tone (in the philosophical sense). A lot of it came out of theosophical circles as well as amendments made to their practice in order to bypass the divination laws (or psychic laws or something of the sort) in the UK - I think it was Alan Leo. In any event, you can see why the philosophical underpinnings would differ.

I'm also of the opinion that older traditions have a lot to offer in regard to spiritual development and the raising of consciousness and the recent developments in spirituality a la new age hasn't the premium on the domain. I'm also of the opinion that history is cyclical and not linear therefore humanity isn't going on an upward trend to the current day where we are supermen, but that there are alternating periods of progress and destruction which is why I do not disregard what the ancients say and take everything that we do in this modern age as the greatest mankind has ever achieved.

Aquarian Suns tend to be highly individualistic in my experience. Like Leo Suns, they often avoid each other's company. Very idiosyncratic.
\

I often find this very fascinating.

I noticed Leo's come in all types... I know a female Leo who is much more like a traditional Cancer, she has moon in Cancer though.

david starling

What a slew of ideas, Vyri. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this thread. A lot of it is off-topic, but you do provide some rationale as to why some modern astrologers practice their astrology with more focus on the outers and a rationale for the utility for the outers themselves, so you're post adds more than detracts. I'm going to touch on some of the things you've said and give my views on the matter.

The Macrocosm/Microcosm effect is definitely built into astrology and it is true that the outer planets coincided with large scales changes that has affected and continues to effect the world in various domains for life. My issue with this is, should such coincidences/synchronicities be the basis of the effects of the planets? There's evidence that a lot of the current meanings of the three newer planets were given their significations from their inception (I'm going to read Sue Ward's paper to freshen up on the history behind them soon) and they seemed to have been taken as gospel. The reason why some prefer to rely on the traditional seven planets is not some slavishness toward tradition as some would like to think, but the fact that the seven planets gained has had millennia's worth of usage and thought behind them, which makes their significances in astrology more iron-clad, as they would have been tested and tested again for their validity. The outers are newer and are relatively untested in comparison, so I think it is unwise to run with what they supposedly signify 100%. I personally think that now is the time in their development to separate the wheat from the chaff in regard to their meaning and usage.

And do you suppose the "traditionals" are opposed to theories that facilitate expansion necessary to improvements? Don't misunderstand me, this question is not meant to provoke. But why is the assumption that one who prefers the tradition is automatically against any new developments or progress? What I notice in most of the traditionalists, or it at least the ones I respect, is that they are more interested in being accurate and legitimizing their practice by going back to the sources that started it all, and begin to take the useful bits from the un-useful. The new traditionalists are more like auditors of the ancient texts, not blind servants to King Ptolemy or some other stupidity. What it can be summed up with is, "If one wants to build something of true power and force, a solid foundation is necessary."

Traditional-astrology is based on formulated regulations that depend on a tightly-knit pattern with 12 Signs, 12 Houses, and 7 Rulers. It's self-contained within its own parameters, and the addition of even one more Ruler beyond Saturn disrupts the pattern. Simple as that.

conspiracy theorist

Traditional-astrology is based on formulated regulations that depend on a tightly-knit pattern with 12 Signs, 12 Houses, and 7 Rulers. It's self-contained within its own parameters, and the addition of even one more Ruler beyond Saturn disrupts the pattern. Simple as that.

And what exactly is this addressing?

david starling

And what exactly is this addressing?

It's addressing why those who prefer a strict version of Traditional-astrology, which I take to mean pre-Kepler, HAVE to limit the Rulers to 7. So, Saturn is NECESSARILY their outermost Ruler. One thing that does, is to eliminate the generational theme available with the Neptune/Uranian cycle and the Plutonian groupings. Another, is an inability to explain longer-term permutations in world events. But, it does make for very concise Chart reading, and is excellent for Horary.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

It's addressing why those who prefer a strict version of Traditional-astrology, which I take to mean pre-Kepler, HAVE to limit the Rulers to 7. So, Saturn is NECESSARILY their outermost Ruler. One thing that does, is to eliminate the generational theme available with the Neptune/Uranian cycle and the Plutonian groupings. Another, is an inability to explain longer-term permutations in world events. But, it does make for very concise Chart reading, and is excellent for Horary.

Okay. Traditional astrologers dispense with the Neptune/Uranian cycles and Plutonian groupings because these planets aren't given such importance where there cycles are observed. The inability to explain long term cycles remains to be seen, as there are methods that have been around longer than the outer three that explain large scale cycles. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/mean_conjunctions.html

If your only experience with traditional astrology is forum posting then concise chart readings and quick horary answers is all you'll think it's good for. But in reality, it's quite a bit more than that. Oh yeah, and there are traditionalists who use the outer planets in their chart reading. Not to the extent of the more modern-oriented, but you're not paying attention if you think using the three outer planets automatically turns you into a "modern astrologer".

Last edited:

david starling

If we describe Saturn as the Planet of "limitations", for Traditional Astrologers this means limiting Astrology itself to the pre-Uranian compliment of 7 Rulers, Saturn being the 7th. Traditional Dignities and Debilities depends on that.

david starling

Okay. Traditional astrologers dispense with the Neptune/Uranian cycles and Plutonian groupings because these planets aren't given such importance where there cycles are observed. The inability to explain long term cycles remains to be seen, as there are methods that have been around longer than the outer three that explain large scale cycles. http://www.skyscript.co.uk/mean_conjunctions.html

If your only experience with traditional astrology is forum posting then concise chart readings and quick horary answers is all you'll think it's good for. But in reality, it's quite a bit more than that. Oh yeah, and there are traditionalists who use the outer planets in their chart reading. Not to the extent of the more modern-oriented, but you're not paying attention if you think using the three outer planets automatically turns you into a "modern astrologer".

I have yet to see any Traditional Astrologers applying the Jupiter/Saturn Conjunctions to current world events. That would would be very interesting. I still think the real problem Traditional Astrologers have with actually incorporating the Modern Outers into the body of Astrological knowledge is the disruption of Dignities and Debilities.

david starling

I can't entirely separate Modern-astrology from Traditional. We of the the Modern world could NEVER have developed an Astrological system to begin with, and MOST of Traditional-astrology is at the foundation of Modern-astrology.

conspiracy theorist

I have yet to see any Traditional Astrologers applying the Jupiter/Saturn Conjunctions to current world events. That would would be very interesting.

What your post inferred that traditional astrology can't describe large-scale events and I've shown you where that is wrong. Seeing a demonstration is a whole different matter altogether.

I still think the real problem Traditional Astrologers have with actually incorporating the Modern Outers into the body of Astrological knowledge is the disruption of Dignities and Debilities.

JA really drilled that into you,didn't he? That's one but that's not the only reason and saying "simple as that" doesn't magically erase all the other differences between them.

In any event, we're covering old ground here. This thread is to see if the more traditionally minded astrologers happen to have stronger Saturns. This doesn't need to be thread # 2282474949 of "trad vs. modern"

It's not a different method, it's a difference in details.

I'm tired and just trying to break up the tension between you and the other dude, you both seem cool, so relax, and i'm the one with the opinion problems... lol

He has a point it don't need to be a VS, he just wanted to see Saturn strength of people who practice a certain method.

I'm not claiming to have a clue on this as i really do not, but i do pop in from time to time and see and sense the tension between folk instantly lol... don't like it, blame my debilitated mars :p

What your post inferred that traditional astrology can't describe large-scale events and I've shown you where that is wrong. Seeing a demonstration is a whole different matter altogether.

JA really drilled that into you,didn't he? That's one but that's not the only reason and saying "simple as that" doesn't magically erase all the other differences between them.

In any event, we're covering old ground here. This thread is to see if the more traditionally minded astrologers happen to have stronger Saturns. This doesn't need to be thread # 2282474949 of "trad vs. modern"

Borderline my style of writing when in debate but i am quick to show someones flaws without admitting my own once i'm in a battle with someone verbally and much more ferocious, so yeah... i don't know i could be wrong but i perceive a load of tension between you and the other guy, in fact in general lot's of tension on this forum all day away from you two...

david starling

I don't think it has to be a "stronger" Saturn. I don't think that would entirely account for adherence to and/or tremendous respect for the Traditional approach. Personally, I see the Tropical Age of Sagittarius as the the Astrological environment that produced the kind of Astrology practiced today, so I would look to Jupiter and the Ascendant as well. Definitely Jupiter/Saturn/Asc Aspects.

conspiracy theorist

Borderline my style of writing when in debate but i am quick to show someones flaws without admitting my own once i'm in a battle with someone verbally and much more ferocious, so yeah... i don't know i could be wrong but i perceive a load of tension between you and the other guy, in fact in general lot's of tension on this forum all day away from you two...

Ah. Guess what? I'm tired of any thread with the title traditional in it devolving into "trad vs. modern" by the third page, and that's more often than not the case on this forum. I'm only slightly annoyed and not particularly at David, so any ferocity you see is most likely my slight peevishness.