What does "cadent from" mean?

resiliae

Hello all.

I am currently reading the Picatrix which I find very interesting but also challenging.

The author mentions the Moon and what weakens her and says that the moon must not be cadent from an angle or a succedent house.

Can someone enlighten me? I searched the expression on Google and I keep reading this "cadent from angles" expression which I don't understand.

Thank you!

Osamenor

Staff member
If you don't include "astrology" in your Google search phrase, it won't give you an astrological definition. No wonder you're confused.

In astrology, a cadent house is a house that comes before an angular one. The third, sixth, ninth, and twelfth houses are cadent. They're considered the weakest houses, traditionally, because they've just fallen from power ("cadent" means "falling away"). Pisces rises, making it angular (first house) and when it has risen, becomes the twelfth (now cadent). Then Aries does the same. And so on through the zodiac.

"Cadent from" can also mean in that next house position, whether or not it's cadent from an angular house. The succedent houses are the second, fifth, eighth, and eleventh. They're not as strong as the angular houses, but not as weak as the cadent houses, either. However, if a planet is in the house before a succedent house--that is, an angular house--it's cadent to that succedent house.

I'm not sure whether what you're reading means cadent by sign, or cadent by house. Suppose you have a chart with the eleventh house cusp in the middle degrees of Cancer. A planet in the early degrees of Cancer would be in the tenth house of the chart, making it cadent to the eleventh by house, but not cadent by sign--it's in the same sign. A planet in Gemini would be cadent to the eleventh by sign.

JUPITERASC

Hello all.

I am currently reading the Picatrix which I find very interesting but also challenging.

The author mentions the Moon and what weakens her and says that the moon must not be cadent from an angle or a succedent house.

Can someone enlighten me? I searched the expression on Google and I keep reading this "cadent from angles" expression which I don't understand.

Thank you!

Cadent is from the Latin "...to fall..."
the Cadent houses are those which "...fall away..." from the Angles
namely the 3rd, 6th, 9th and 12th houses.

Traditionally these CADENT HOUSES are interpreted
as a weakening influence on the planets that tenant these houses.
The houses are not all equal in strength and power :smile:

If a planet is located in an angular house
it is much more forceful in its effects
than it would be in a cadent house.

Houses are defined as:

angular (1st, 4th, 7th & 10th)
succeedent (2nd, 5th, 8th, & 11th)
and cadent (3rd, 6th, 9th & 12th)

as shown by the diagram below :

ang.gif
http://www.skyscript.co.uk/horary1d.html

Last edited:

Oddity

Houses 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 11 see the ascendant (at least they would by sign, and usually do even in time-or-space based house systems). Moon in 3 might be an extra boost in some circumstances as it's in its joy there.

If the moon makes an aspect by sign (sextile, square, trine, opposition, conjunction) to the ascending sign, then you're probably good.

JUPITERASC

Cadent is also associated with the word "cadaver".

"....The word 'cadent' means 'fallen'
and is the root of the word cadaver meaning corpse.
A planet in a cadent house has been carried by the diurnal movement
away from the cardinal position, symbolising
something that has moved from a position of power
into a condition of weakness, or a fall from grace..."

ang1.gif
https://www.skyscript.co.uk/horary1d.html

The angular houses represent our own '...seats of power...'
places of familiarity and control.
The further the distance between a planet and the angles
the less potency it possesses
and the more alienation it experiences in its environment.
Originally, all of the cadent houses had some representation
over foreign places and situations.
The lack of familiarity was not just a denial of strength
it was also indicative of fear and danger. :smile:

JUPITERASC

an example of CADENCY using Hellenistic technique :smile:
when Sagittarius rises
then

all three trigon lords fall cadent as well as fortune.

boCas8X.png

conspiracy theorist

Looks like that particular passage/working would like for you to have the Moon in a succedent house (2nd, 5th, 8th, 11th) since the line you mention would mean cadent and angular houses are prohibited houses to place the Moon.

If you don't mind, would you be able to share the particular section you're referring to?

JUPITERASC

the malefic planets MARS and SATURN

rejoice in THE CADENT houses :smile:

12th - Bad Spirit - GREATER MALEFIC SATURN

and

6th - Bad Fortune - LESSER MALEFIC MARS