Writers

GalacticEgg

Happy Mercury usually denotes a good writer. Merc in it's rulerships would imply natural skill with the written word...as far as success in publishing goes, I would look at the tenth house and it's relationship, if any, to Mercury or either of the Mercurial signs.

Mercury with positive aspect to Venus or Jupiter would also imply writing ability.

The house Mercury is found in will also say a lot; Merc in 1 will show someone probably more inclined to ranting/speeches, for instance, vs. the detail-oriented, verbose Mercury in 3 or the critical (if not self-doubting), thorough Merc in 6.

Publishing success depends on a lot more than writing ability, it seems.

capricorn6

Premium Member
Happy Mercury usually denotes a good writer. Merc in it's rulerships would imply natural skill with the written word...as far as success in publishing goes, I would look at the tenth house and it's relationship, if any, to Mercury or either of the Mercurial signs.

Mercury with positive aspect to Venus or Jupiter would also imply writing ability.

The house Mercury is found in will also say a lot; Merc in 1 will show someone probably more inclined to ranting/speeches, for instance, vs. the detail-oriented, verbose Mercury in 3 or the critical (if not self-doubting), thorough Merc in 6.

Publishing success depends on a lot more than writing ability, it seems.

This is great to know :happy: As far as I know, the only thing that applies to me is that my Mercury is in conjunction with Venus. It's also in conjunction to the Sun, Mars, Neptune and Uranus. In fact, they're all in conjunction with each other :pouty:. They are all in Capricorn and in the Seventh house. The houses where Gemini and Virgo lay are both empty... :sad:

IleneK

Premium Member
This is great to know :happy: As far as I know, the only thing that applies to me is that my Mercury is in conjunction with Venus. It's also in conjunction to the Sun, Mars, Neptune and Uranus. In fact, they're all in conjunction with each other :pouty:. They are all in Capricorn and in the Seventh house. The houses where Gemini and Virgo lay are both empty... :sad:

I was going mention that in addition to Venus and Jupiter, a favorable aspects from Mercury to Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto all can contribute to writing and storytelling imagination and skills.

waybread

I suggest you go to the Astro-DataBank at Astrodienst www.astro.com. They have a huge data base of horoscopes, including most of the significant authors. If you search by category or by name of authors you admire, see if you detect any patterns.

One thing writers need is the ability to handle rejection. Many established authors report having a lot of rejection letters when they were just starting out. Not everyone has the fortitude to bounce back, revise, resubmit, and continue writing.

I would recommend some local college, night school, or university courses in writing. Again, if a piece comes back covered with the teacher's criticisms, pay attention to them, revise your work, and learn from your feedback-- notably the harsh stuff.

Keep a daily journal. Write down ideas. You will improve with constant practice.

Some of this may sound like fixed signs or a well-heeded Saturn.

M

may28gemini

Mercury (of any sign) in the 5th house (house of creativity and recognition) is a strong indicator of being a published writer.

capricorn6

Premium Member
I suggest you go to the Astro-DataBank at Astrodienst www.astro.com. They have a huge data base of horoscopes, including most of the significant authors. If you search by category or by name of authors you admire, see if you detect any patterns.

One thing writers need is the ability to handle rejection. Many established authors report having a lot of rejection letters when they were just starting out. Not everyone has the fortitude to bounce back, revise, resubmit, and continue writing.

I would recommend some local college, night school, or university courses in writing. Again, if a piece comes back covered with the teacher's criticisms, pay attention to them, revise your work, and learn from your feedback-- notably the harsh stuff.

Keep a daily journal. Write down ideas. You will improve with constant practice.

Some of this may sound like fixed signs or a well-heeded Saturn.

I have Jupiter and Pluto in Scorpio and Saturn in Aquarius, but other than that, no fixed signs. I understand that Saturn traditionally rules Aquarius, so I guess that's a good thing. It makes a very close trine with Moon in Libra in my chart, but a square with Pluto. I love your idea of college classes and taking criticisms into account. I'm an English major (recently changed from Psychology) and am set to start taking English courses in the Fall. Thirteen years of writing stories isn't enough but I don't mind the hard work at all. :biggrin:

Zarathu

Account Closed
You might check the archives. I know of at least one other discussion on this subject.

I can tell you exactly what you need to be a successful talk show host....

waybread

Aw :sad: What about Jupiter or Pluto in the fifth house? Or Mercury in the Seventh?

Jupiter in the 5th is supposed to mean a large family of children (pre-birth control era.) Mercury in the 7th suggests more about your spouse/partner-- or "open enemies."

capricorn6

Premium Member
Jupiter in the 5th is supposed to mean a large family of children (pre-birth control era.) Mercury in the 7th suggests more about your spouse/partner-- or "open enemies."

The Jupiter in 5th combined with my Cancer ascendant... I did always say I wanted a large family. Mercury in the 7th sounds about right for my fiancé, but I can't think of any "open" enemies... just people who I really disliked. I wouldn't consider any of them particularly "intelligent", but I did just realize that all of them were pretty loud-mouthed.

Is there a house that rules "not-so-open" enemies?

M

may28gemini

As others have said before, there's various methods that could be strong indicators of a writer. I just talked about 1 general position I have seen in many writer's charts (both well known and not so known but still published).

You'd want to inspect your 3rd house very carefully. The 3rd house- house of everything immediate- environment, people surrounding you, all levels of communication will dedicate how comfortable you are in areas of communication. It is also the house of risk- but very few people actually know about that. The reason why 3rd signifies risk (in the pure form), is that it's a concrete house concerned with interaction, whereas, the polar 9th house is the house of widespread faith (which does not have much to do with action).

Jupiter in 5th could also indicate widespread recognition but is not specific to writing as writing is a communication process ruled by Mercury. Jupiter is concerned about general/philosophical ideologies that does NOT have to manifest in concrete forms. Mercury is extremely concerned about objectivity and facts- what is real and can be checked. In many ways, I think Mercury is just like Saturn, only, not quite as mean, cranky, or old as Saturn.

I follow whole signs chart setup for the clarity, and also, because I follow some traditional foundations... but I suggest you look at your chart in the whole signs chart setup. Anyway, whatever you have in your 3rd... that will show up in your 5th as being recognized for your achievements/desires. If you have something such as Mars in 3rd house- the lord of action and then Jupiter shows up in your 5th- that is a very strong indicator that you'd be recognized for the actions you've taken in the 3rd.

Also, is your Jupiter Air? If so, Air Jupiter does bless communications... even if in the poor position of Gemini (detriment).

Let's take a look at a famous writer... author of James Bond novels, Ian Fleming. I'm biased because we're both May 28 people. Anyway... study his chart and see what I talked about before. He has strong 3rd house Saturn but look at his loaded Gemini 5th house that holds Mercury in there. Pluto is also present, and sure enough, Ian Fleming wrote about espionage/underworld/murder, for which, I'm sure, Pluto was very pleased.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Ian_Fleming

If your Mercury is strong, esp. in Gemini and Virgo, or even in any of the Air signs, that itself, can help you become a fluid and prolific writer. If you do not have an Air Mercury or even Air Mars, I would suggest that you find such person(s) who will be your editor.

Last edited:

capricorn6

Premium Member
As others have said before, there's various methods that could be strong indicators of a writer. I just talked about 1 general position I have seen in many writer's charts (both well known and not so known but still published).

You'd want to inspect your 3rd house very carefully. The 3rd house- house of everything immediate- environment, people surrounding you, all levels of communication will dedicate how comfortable you are in areas of communication. It is also the house of risk- but very few people actually know about that. The reason why 3rd signifies risk (in the pure form), is that it's a concrete house concerned with interaction, whereas, the polar 9th house is the house of widespread faith (which does not have much to do with action).

Jupiter in 5th could also indicate widespread recognition but is not specific to writing as writing is a communication process ruled by Mercury. Jupiter is concerned about general/philosophical ideologies that does NOT have to manifest in concrete forms. Mercury is extremely concerned about objectivity and facts- what is real and can be checked. In many ways, I think Mercury is just like Saturn, only, not quite as mean, cranky, or old as Saturn.

I follow whole signs chart setup for the clarity, and also, because I follow some traditional foundations... but I suggest you look at your chart in the whole signs chart setup. Anyway, whatever you have in your 3rd... that will show up in your 5th as being recognized for your achievements/desires. If you have something such as Mars in 3rd house- the lord of action and then Jupiter shows up in your 5th- that is a very strong indicator that you'd be recognized for the actions you've taken in the 3rd.

Also, is your Jupiter Air? If so, Air Jupiter does bless communications... even if in the poor position of Gemini (detriment).

Let's take a look at a famous writer... author of James Bond novels, Ian Fleming. I'm biased because we're both May 28 people. Anyway... study his chart and see what I talked about before. He has strong 3rd house Saturn but look at his loaded Gemini 5th house that holds Mercury in there. Pluto is also present, and sure enough, Ian Fleming wrote about espionage/underworld/murder, for which, I'm sure, Pluto was very pleased.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Ian_Fleming

If your Mercury is strong, esp. in Gemini and Virgo, or even in any of the Air signs, that itself, can help you become a fluid and prolific writer. If you do not have an Air Mercury or even Air Mars, I would suggest that you find such person(s) who will be your editor.

I laughed at the Saturn part because it sounds like me, haha.

I'll take it one step at a time:

3rd house: doesn't have planets. the cusp is on 24 degrees Leo, so the Sun would rule it (I think). The Sun is at 15 degrees Capricorn...

5th house: Pluto is also in the 5th house, but does not form an aspect with Jupiter. Jupiter forms sextiles with Venus, the Sun and Mars, but not Mercury, and forms a trine with my Ascendant at 12 degrees Cancer.

Mercury: is in conjunction with the Sun, Venus, Mars, Uranus and Neptune (all of which are between 12 and 21 degrees Capricorn in the Seventh house). It also forms a sextile with the MC at 22 degrees Pisces, but is in opposition with the ascendant. Out of curiosity, I looked to see if it was in an aspect with Saturn, but it is not.

Jupiter is in water... I guess that's fine if I wanted to be some kind of painter, but I suck at it.

This is odd, because I was always praised for writing awesome stories. I just wondered why I'm able to. :sideways:

capricorn6

Premium Member
Saturn in 3rd house is an excellent position for a writer. It shows a person who is very careful about words/communication.

Let's look at another example 3rd house connected to 5th can spit out a published writer.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/F._Scott_Fitzgerald

His 3rd house is Aries. Aries by Mars for which his Mars is in the 5th house in Gemini.

(Growl) If my third house was Sagittarius or Scorpio, that'd be great. I'll look for other indicators. Perhaps I'll try to find the chart of Suzanne Collins, writer of the Hunger Games series. Perhaps some mangaka (Japanese graphic novelist)'s charts also. I tend to like those a lot.

M

may28gemini

Hunger Games? UMMM... ok... if you consider that "writing." I was giving examples of REAL writers.

Let's try Albert Camus. The very 1st line of The Stranger caused a ruckus in the French literary world because it was the rule to NEVER start off with passé-compose. The story itself SHOCKED everyone.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Albert_Camus

Sun in the 3rd house. Pay dirt! Identity through communication/writing. Capricorn Jupiter in 5th house. The ruler of the 5th house (Saturn) is in the 10th house of Gemini parallel MC. AH HA!

Let's look at one of the most prolific writers of the English language, Charles Dickens.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Charles_Dickens

Too easy. 5th house Mercury. Gemini MC of which Jupiter is parallel.

Last edited:

capricorn6

Premium Member
Hunger Games? UMMM... ok... if you consider that "writing." I was giving examples of REAL writers.

Let's try Albert Camus. The very 1st line of The Stranger caused a ruckus in the French literary world because it was the rule to NEVER start off with passé-compose. The story itself SHOCKED everyone.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Albert_Camus

Sun in the 3rd house. Pay dirt! Identity through communication/writing. Capricorn Jupiter in 5th house. The ruler of the 5th house (Saturn) is in the 10th house of Gemini parallel MC. AH HA!

Let's look at one of the most prolific writers of the English language, Charles Dickens.

http://www.astrotheme.com/astrology/Charles_Dickens

Too easy. 5th house Mercury. Gemini MC of which Jupiter is parallel.

What's wrong with the Hunger Games? I liked the entire series and it was made into a movie (even though, as with most books, the movie SUCKED). I looked at the other two writers that you've posted. All I could really make out was that both of their rising signs were Aquarius. I was hoping both of their MCs were Scorpio, but that wasn't the case. So I kept looking (you can tell by now I am not good at piecing the whole thing together... yet). Then something occurred to me: Mercury also rules Virgo, right? If something was in Virgo, would that also contribute to having a good writing style?

M

may28gemini

HAHAHAHAHA there's nothing "wrong" with Hunger Games or any of the modern books of its genre but as for as the writing, stories, etc. and all that, it's no where near as brilliant as the writers of the past (probably because they didn't have TV rotting their brains). Majority of the most interesting and imaginative and intellectual writers were born in the Gemini Pluto generation. That ought to say something.

Virgo Mercury is strong for writing for as well. When a person has Gemini or Virgo Mercury firstly, or any of the other AIR Mercuries of Libra or Aquarius, it's an extremely strong case for excelling in communications. There's other factors to look at. Keep practicing and looking various writers' charts. Maybe you'll find your own patterns.

I'm on hiatus so I won't come back for who knows when, if ever. Good luck!

Cascada

Don't know if this helps, but I write a lot, and have been since I was very young. I write fantasy mostly, anything that gets my imagination going. I get inspired everyday, the only problem is I lack the concentration to stick with one project at a time, so most of them don't get completed :pinched: I have Mercury in the 4th in Scorpio, conjunct Mars and Pluto, opposing MC. It sextiles my 5th house planets (Neptune and Uranus). Not in contact with Venus, but Venus is placed in Virgo. I also have Sun and Jupiter conjunct in the 3rd, with Jupiter ruling my 5th.

http://www.astro.com/astro-databank/King,_Stephen Stephen King's chart from astro.com if you're interested :)

Last edited: