Do you agree with this? (House Positions = Sign Placements)

david starling

David, this is just getting "curioser and curioser." It's OK to make up astrology as you go along, but then without a backlog of worked-out horoscopes, there is no rational reason to accept your novel system.

Each traditional planet except the luminaries rules two signs. Each of the signs has a different element and modality. But so what?

In classical astrology each planet is domiciled in two signs and exalted in one. That's 3 good sign placements. Each planet is in detriment in two signs and falls in one sign. That's a total of half of the zodiac with a definite judgement about their sign placement. With the other half of the zodiac you'd look at the other essential or accidental dignities (traditional) or aspects (modern) which are situational. Frankly, in modern astrology you might not consider any sign placement good or bad, just different.

So Venus in Aquarius is neither here nor there. It makes no difference at all what other signs Venus rules or what they're like. If you disagree, then please "show me the money" with some worked out nativities.

You've also made a leap of faith that the 8th house is "most compatible with water signs." The 4th, 8th, and 12th are sometimes nicknamed the "water houses," but this does not thereby indicate an affinity. Moreover, Pisces is not Scorpio.

I couldn't follow the rest of your analysis. It's getting way to complicated for me. What exactly do you see as the problem with textbook astrology, whether traditional or modern?

If it's not broken, why fix it?
It's not that complicated. Just compatibility and strength of expression. It's a theory, like all Astrological correlations. It does work for me. The question here is, are Signs and Houses the same thing? I'm of the opinion that House placements don't confer Sign qualities. Only Signs can do that, even though some Houses are more compatible with some Signs than others. My major problem with Traditional is that I want to include more Sign-rulers , and that means changes to the very tight Traditional rulership configuration. I need a coherent pattern that includes more rulers. Also, there's a sort of grim fatalism that seems to be part of the Traditional paradigm. It's interesting to me that Traditionalists have been the most receptive to the idea of Tropical Ages, but extremely pessimistic regarding the effects of an Aquarian Age, Tropical or Sidereal. Moderns can't seem to relate to anything BUT the Sidereal version, for which they generally have high hopes, even though they have no basis whatsoever for including it in their Tropical Charts.

Last edited:

tripleooo

I forgot sun square saturn oops...

But I guess I see what you're saying.

Special for you. :biggrin:

Sun square Saturn – whenever you try to express yourself creatively, you feel a heavy weight of responsibility, and whenever you’re being serious, you feel as if you lose touch with your individuality, these situations produce much stress and tension but never follow with an actual "fight". So with an opposition it's more like an open conflict, where both parties know what they want but are not ready to come up with a good solution (in the beginning at least) and they try to block each other's actions. With a square there are no such blockages, but there is a constant feeling of underperformance and anxiety where you think that you could have done better. I'd say squares are harder to deal with because the reason for conflict is usually not as clear but oppositions are more tiring in the long run.

AppLeo

Special for you. :biggrin:

Sun square Saturn – whenever you try to express yourself creatively, you feel a heavy weight of responsibility, and whenever you’re being serious, you feel as if you lose touch with your individuality, these situations produce much stress and tension but never follow with an actual "fight". So with an opposition it's more like an open conflict, where both parties know what they want but are not ready to come up with a good solution (in the beginning at least) and they try to block each other's actions. With a square there are no such blockages, but there is a constant feeling of underperformance and anxiety where you think that you could have done better. I'd say squares are harder to deal with because the reason for conflict is usually not as clear but oppositions are more tiring in the long run.

Thank you xD

I have Sun square Saturn, so that description is helpful.

waybread

Yes, I meant this is a MODERN way of assigning the equivalent of Traditional "Dignities and Disabilities" using Modern Sign-rulership and the Sign/House numbering matchups including Elements and Modalities. Assessment of a Planet's ability to act is, as you say, a very important feature of Traditional-astrology. Psychological-astrologers should take note of your assertion that Saturn is a sadomasochistic influence! How about Venus in latex and leather as Saturn's dominatrix!

David, I fail to see what modalities (qualities) do for you. Really, their core meanings are temporal.

signs: cardinal (begins a new solar-based season,) fixed (weather during these months is supposedly consistent,) and mutable (adaptable, flexible-- weather may share qualities of two seasons.)

houses: angular (precedes an angle in a diurnal motion,) succedent (follows the angular house,) and cadent (Latin: "falls away" from the angular house.)

In traditional astrology the house positions are indicators of planetary strength independent of the planet's sign.

While Saturn can be the Dr. No of the zodiac, it rules farmers and a ripe old age. It teaches useful lessons like patience, hard work, and deferred gratification.

david starling

David, I fail to see what modalities (qualities) do for you. Really, their core meanings are temporal.

signs: cardinal (begins a new solar-based season,) fixed (weather during these months is supposedly consistent,) and mutable (adaptable, flexible-- weather may share qualities of two seasons.)

houses: angular (precedes an angle in a diurnal motion,) succedent (follows the angular house,) and cadent (Latin: "falls away" from the angular house.)

In traditional astrology the house positions are indicators of planetary strength independent of the planet's sign.

While Saturn can be the Dr. No of the zodiac, it rules farmers and a ripe old age. It teaches useful lessons like patience, hard work, and deferred gratification.

We both have strong Fixed-sign placements, so we're going to hold to our positions! :biggrin: But, I almost always learn from your Posts, so thank you for that! :happy:

ynnest

I want people to understand that the First fundamental rule to take into consideration Before you can start considering other rules is to make sure that you have a Correct chart that matches All of your main life events with appropriate progressions. This will then enable you to start erasing doubts as you will begin to see the fundamentals with clarity again. Without this first basic awareness you will not be able to evolve your understanding as your conclusions will not make coherent sense since you are working with a false chart.

Y

waybread

I thought you said this was easy! ..Right? It's not easy, it's **** loopy. Just like life (if you're able to notice it). Inside a natal wheel every element sends you to another element that is connected to other elements and so on, and on, and on.. it never stops. And all the elements are connected and related. That's the circle of life, the zodiac, and then how could it be simple? From outside it looks so, you have 12 of this and that here and there, it's simple!, X means this and X1 means that, yey! Alright, that's all good and that's all true (and life is simple too aha)... but connect the pieces. How can you even make a reading without relating all the pieces? How you fail to see the similarities between signs and houses is beyond me. The examples you brought up made me wonder on the over simplistic ways YOU use to analyze wheels... do you really stop there? What's exactly the meaning of the 7th house, for the case of the Aries Sun and Mars in there that you brought up? Do you just overlook houses?

Actually, moonrise, normative astrology, whether modern or traditional, lets us loop through the zodiac, as well. The concept is known as the dispositor. You can do this either by sign or by house. "By house" is basically another way of looping around by sign. (These would be identical in a whole signs house system.) The final dispositor/s of a chart would normally be domiciled in its own sign, although you can get a condition known as mutual reception (A is in B's sign of domicile, B is in A's sign of domicile) or a 3-way swap.

Dispositors are used a lot with house cusp rulers, such as in horary astrology, where houses figure significantly. I also use them a lot in nativities. If the question is about the querent's money, for example. we look to the sign on the cusp of the second house. Suppose it is Aries, with no planets in the second house. We look and see what Mars is up to. If Mars is in its own sign of Scorpio (traditional ruler) then that is one metaphorical "plus" for the second house. If Mars is the only domiciled planet in the chart, then it becomes the final dispositor because the other planets will loop back to it.

This isn't difficult so long as we know which planets rules which signs. I use both modern and traditional rulers, but many astrologers would use only one kind.

Basically you start somewhere, with a planet-in-a-sign or a house cusp ruler (also called a "lord.") I've attached Donald Trump's chart, where we can see a loop. If we start, by planets-in-signs with the sun, it is ruled by Mercury, Mercury is ruled by the moon, the moon is ruled by Jupiter, Jupiter is ruled by Venus, and Venus is ruled by the moon. So we get a kind of triumvirate of moon, Venus, and Jupiter that disposit all of the other planets. This gives these planets some extra strength. Donald Trump has no domiciled planets although a trad might look for other kinds of essential dignity. If we go by house cusp rulers, the bicycle tour through Trump's horoscope looks a little different, but we end up in the same place if we stick with signs. Mercury is in the house ruled by Mercury, which gives it a little extra strength in that place if we go more strictly by houses.

Outside of horary, this system has all kinds of uses in natal chart interpretation. Again, using the example of Donald Trump's chart, suppose we wonder about his wealth. Jupiter is there, but retrograde. We note that Mercury rules his second house. This gets us back into the Jupiter, moon, Venus loop. We note that Mercury is in the house of "hopes and wishes for the future," squaring Jupiter in the second, so Mercury has an additional interest in the second house. We've seen how Venus is a player in the dispositor game, and it quintiles Neptune in the second house. (Quintiles indicate talent plus ambition.) So Venus has an interest in the second house, as well.

Trump's moon, appropriately, is in the 4th house, which deals with residential housing and real estate. The moon is ruled by Mars, which it happens to trine.

So by following the trail of dispositorships, we begin to make sense of someone's life and motives.

I use the elements a lot, but not in any "trail" sort of way. Interestingly, Trump has no planets in earth. His "coin of the realm" is speculation, which is more of an air and fire deal. He doesn't own a lot of bricks-and-mortar properties with his name on them, but lends his brand and management team to real estate ventures.

Generally I "connect the pieces" through the above methods, plus aspects, which I think are truly important. A person will feel a tight Mars-Saturn square, for example, regardless of these planets' signs and houses.

Attachments

• donald_trump.jpg
    donald_trump.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 24

waybread

@waybread
https://www.britannica.com/science/history-of-science/The-rise-of-modern-science

this is just to clarify that the word "science" has no property label under "waybread", and has rather changing meanings and apt to interpretations. In post-modernism, we do have some doubts over what to consider to be a science or not, this happens already outside of an astrological frame.

moonrise3, I can talk post-modernism (or post-structuralism, post-colonialism, and all the other post-isms) with you till the cows come home, if you wish. We could talk about science studies and critical theory. All this has very little influence on astrology. (Robert Hand wrote an article on "post-modern astrology" but he actually meant today's traditional western astrology.)

At some level, we could discuss the different definitions of science, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Yes, there is a way in which "science" equates to "knowledge" in a general way. The German word "Wissenschaft" captures this more general meaning. I could talk about science in a vernacular way, like the "science" of applying lipstick.

But if you visit any comprehensive university today, probably anywhere on the planet, you will find a clear distinction between disciplines that are labeled "science" and disciplines that are labeled something else. Sciences are fields like physics, chemistry, biology, and geology. "Something else" generally includes social sciences like sociology and economics; and the humanities like English literature, history, and philosophy. We could distinguish psychology as the behavioural science, or add in disciplinary divisions like the fine and performing arts, engineering, and applied fields with a scientific basis like forestry.

Despite its wee overlap with astronomy, astrology today is nothing like any of the physical, natural, medical, or applied sciences. It just isn't. And it makes us look like a bunch of dummies who wouldn't know a chemistry lab from a seance with Madame Wanda to argue that astrology is a science.

Don't take my word for it. Phone up your nearest astronomy department and invite an astronomer to lunch. See what she says about what science is and is not.

waybread

What's the different between:

Sun in the 10th house
Sun in Capricorn
Saturn in the 5th house
Saturn in Leo
Leo MC
Capricorn 5th house cusp
Sun conjunct Saturn
Sun opposite Saturn
Sun trine Saturn
Sun sextile Saturn

I think they're kind of all the same.

They all have the same hidden theme behind it. Which is a slow, but structured approach to creating happiness or achieving goals.

AppLeo, there are hierarchies of information or knowledge, as it is commonly structured. Or think of this as a question of scale. On a general, meta-narrative level, the horoscope shows how an individual is likely to go about meeting her goals. But this would be true regardless of whatever planet, sign, or house we're talking about.

But to break down your sun-Saturn list, having one's sun in aspect to Saturn will "Saturnize" the sun. Whether this is likely to go well or with difficulty for the person depends upon which aspect it is. Trine, fine. Sun opposite Saturn is one of those aspects that can confer major self-esteem issues until the person learns to incorporate Saturn's lessons in a constructive way.

In "my" astrology (but not in the astrology of moonrise3 or David, apparently,) there is no necessary relationship to a sign or house by-the-numbers. Saturn and Capricorn have no relationship to the 10th house, unless somebody happens to have this particular placement. And given 12 signs x 12 houses, they would be in a distinct minority.

The 10th house deals with your vocation in life and public image. Capricorn is the cardinal earth sign, ruled by Saturn. It is symbolized by a mythical animal, part goat, part fish. If you knew nothing about a presumed correspondence between your public image and cardinal earth, what could you possibly see as the logical relationship?

Generally I use Placidus, a quadrant house system, which will place the MC as the cusp of the 10th house. But this doesn't happen with the equal house or whole signs systems, in which the MC can "float" into another house in the chart's upper hemisphere. With high-latitude births, I've seen the MC wind up in the person's 12th house. So the MC-10th house relationship is to some extent an artifact of the house system you select. None of which has anything to do with Saturn or Capricorn.

If you wish to conflate signs and houses, that's up to you. I have tried to explain in my previous posts why I don't think this is such a good idea; and how to interpret sign-house relationships using conventional astrological methods, whether modern or traditional.

But just for example, the sun gives your identity and sense of self. Traditionally the sun is one's father (day birth) or ruler, with the ascendant as more of the "me" point. The 5th house deals with one's children and recreational activities. More generally, some mods use it to point to creativity. So right away, we see some slippage between planet-house core meanings. If somebody's sun in Leo is in the 9th house, he may want to become an international airline pilot or a philosophy professor, who could care less about children and has no particular big hobbies beyond an occasional game of squash.

This is one reason why it is so valuable to read charts for people, and to get their feedback. Theories are fine, but if they don't work in practice, then maybe the astrological conventions are worth studying in depth.

JUPITERASC

moonrise3, I can talk post-modernism (or post-structuralism, post-colonialism, and all the other post-isms) with you till the cows come home, if you wish. We could talk about science studies and critical theory. All this has very little influence on astrology. (Robert Hand wrote an article on "post-modern astrology" but he actually meant today's traditional western astrology.)

At some level, we could discuss the different definitions of science, but that isn't what this thread is about.

Yes, there is a way in which "science"
equates to "knowledge"
in a general way.

The German word "Wissenschaft"
captures this more general meaning.

Definition of science

the state of knowing

knowledge
as distinguished from ignorance :smile:
or
misunderstanding

systematized knowledge in general.
knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
a particular branch of knowledge.
skill, especially reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

Origin
Middle English (denoting knowledge): from Old French, from Latin scientia, from scire ‘know’.

1300-50; Middle English
- Middle French
- Latin scientia knowledge

equivalent to scient- (stem of sciēns), present participle of scīre to know + -ia -ia
perhaps akin to Sanskrit chyati he cuts off, Latin scindere to split

I could talk about science in a vernacular way, like the "science" of applying lipstick.

But if you visit any comprehensive university today, probably anywhere on the planet, you will find a clear distinction between disciplines that are labeled "science" and disciplines that are labeled something else. Sciences are fields like physics, chemistry, biology, and geology. "Something else" generally includes social sciences like sociology and economics; and the humanities like English literature, history, and philosophy. We could distinguish psychology as the behavioural science, or add in disciplinary divisions like the fine and performing arts, engineering, and applied fields with a scientific basis like forestry.

Despite its wee overlap with astronomy, astrology today is nothing like any of the physical, natural, medical, or applied sciences. It just isn't. And it makes us look like a bunch of dummies who wouldn't know a chemistry lab from a seance with Madame Wanda to argue that astrology is a science.

Don't take my word for it. Phone up your nearest astronomy department and invite an astronomer to lunch. See what she says about what science is and is not.

twistandshout

Yes, there is a way in which "science" equates to "knowledge" in a general way. The German word "Wissenschaft" captures this more general meaning. I could talk about science in a vernacular way, like the "science" of applying lipstick.

I think when people use the term "science" to describe astrology, they rather strictly mean it in the most loose and literal sense. By definition, a science is a practice that involves developing a great understanding of how our world works through a method of trial and error. These series of tests are able to create a system that defines what this new facet of knowledge functions and what kind of information you're able to gather through such methods. I don't think anyone who refers to Astrology as a Science is comparing it to the likes of Physics or Chemistry. Astrology is about as much of a science as Cooking. There's directions to follow and clear rules in place but how everyone actually is able to apply it is drastically different.

The problem with the discussion of science is that a lot of academics have set it up to also make it incredibly inaccessible and depending on the scientist, their willingness to even accept other fields as legitimate will differ i.e. There are STILL people out there who think that Psychology is not a legitimate practice. A lot of that fault is because they equate Psychology to famous practitioners such as Freud who's practices were incredibly questionable in and of themselves.

Science and our perception of science is ever evolving. There were people who questioned the concept of Gravity when it was first discovered and explored. People who questioned the idea that the Sun is the center of the universe, that believed all disease can be resolved by attaching a few leeches to specific parts of the body. Hell, there are still people today that believe that science proves that Race influences our capacity for intelligence and knowledge! The great thing about science at the end of the day, however, is that it's about data. That's it. Data is something that will never change. Our willingness and capacity to understand it and order it into something that provide concrete evidence, however, is fluid and ever changing.

This isn't to say that I'm a hardcore believer of Astrology, mind you. I still hold my skepticism but am still incredibly fascinated by the way it functions. This is, however, a call to acknowledge that we do not know the rules and laws of everything to do with existence and a willingness to be open to the prospect of being wrong in our perception. Academic science could do with more flexibility rather than having so many aspects of it being focused on simply proving and verifying our own perceptions to make us feel justified in our stances. Also careful with that appeal to authority - it's a tricky little logical fallacy that will trip everyone up ;)

ynnest

I think when people use the term "science" to describe astrology, they rather strictly mean it in the most loose and literal sense. By definition, a science is a practice that involves developing a great understanding of how our world works through a method of trial and error. These series of tests are able to create a system that defines what this new facet of knowledge functions and what kind of information you're able to gather through such methods. I don't think anyone who refers to Astrology as a Science is comparing it to the likes of Physics or Chemistry. Astrology is about as much of a science as Cooking. There's directions to follow and clear rules in place but how everyone actually is able to apply it is drastically different.

The problem with the discussion of science is that a lot of academics have set it up to also make it incredibly inaccessible and depending on the scientist, their willingness to even accept other fields as legitimate will differ i.e. There are STILL people out there who think that Psychology is not a legitimate practice. A lot of that fault is because they equate Psychology to famous practitioners such as Freud who's practices were incredibly questionable in and of themselves.

Science and our perception of science is ever evolving. There were people who questioned the concept of Gravity when it was first discovered and explored. People who questioned the idea that the Sun is the center of the universe, that believed all disease can be resolved by attaching a few leeches to specific parts of the body. Hell, there are still people today that believe that science proves that Race influences our capacity for intelligence and knowledge! The great thing about science at the end of the day, however, is that it's about data. That's it. Data is something that will never change. Our willingness and capacity to understand it and order it into something that provide concrete evidence, however, is fluid and ever changing.

This isn't to say that I'm a hardcore believer of Astrology, mind you. I still hold my skepticism but am still incredibly fascinated by the way it functions. This is, however, a call to acknowledge that we do not know the rules and laws of everything to do with existence and a willingness to be open to the prospect of being wrong in our perception. Academic science could do with more flexibility rather than having so many aspects of it being focused on simply proving and verifying our own perceptions to make us feel justified in our stances. Also careful with that appeal to authority - it's a tricky little logical fallacy that will trip everyone up ;)

The question of finding out the spiritual roots of the scientific paradigm is important I believe since it would shed some light on their intent. Our society is in large parts nevertheless from my point of view ruled by its influence and thus creates these narrow frames of thinking that people need to adopt to in order to fit in to the norm when in truth human beings in essence are spiritual beings with a need to express their soul. This awakes the importance from my perspective of gradually shifting our societal paradigms towards universal truths that embrace the whole human being as it is with all its needs and desires.

Oddity

Hmmm... I guess you're right that the houses, signs, and aspects have nothing in common.

I think you're missing that astrology has a lot of fluidity in it, at least traditional astrology.

We've talked about this on the board before, but here's one to help you out (there are others, but I don't want to overwhelm).

Was the person born during the day or at night?

For day births, the sun, Jupiter, and Saturn will be more indicative of the person's life path, and usually more 'friendly' to the person. Use common sense, though. If it's a day birth and say, Saturn, is in all kinds of horrible shape, it's probably not gonna be that helpful. The night planets Moon, Venus, and Mars, are not going to be so great for the person.

But they won't necessarily be horrible, it depends, again, on how they're configured. They could bring something good, if not vitally important. Still, it's the out of sect planets you mostly want to watch out for.

Flip it around for a night birth, where moon, Venus, and Mars are more indicative of the life path, and the sun, Saturn, and Jupiter are somewhat estranged.

Mercury, as we all know, swings both ways, so examine it separately and ask the querent if Merc looks important (e.g. is it angular?)

That won't give you everything, but it will give you a place to start with relative planetary power and expression in a chart.

waybread

Thank you for your thoughtful response! :cool: :cool:

I fully get the generic, vernacular definition of "science." Truly.

But "science" in the English language does have a more particular meaning. This is why astrology is too often called a "pseudo-science." Or you get all kinds of astrologers on Internet forums acting like cry-babies because actual professional scientists give them no respect. Calling astrology a "science" merely muddies these waters.

I can see where you're headed with your "trial and error" comment, but this isn't the half of it. Most science is conducted according to the scientific method, which is far more precise. http://teacher.nsrl.rochester.edu/phy_labs/AppendixE/AppendixE.html No government agency like the NSF or NIH is going to award research grants to a biochemistry project proceeding by trial and error.

Sure, we can talk colloquially about "the science of cooking," but this also has a concise meaning, as in a university discipline called food science, and the application of food science to recipe development, as in commercial test kitchens. It's just that nobody calls food science pseudo-science, or states that home cooking is a form of superstition.

Any academic research specialty is going to be highly specialized, and thus probably inaccessible to the lay person, not just scientific fields. (Chaucer studies, anyone?) There are also media outlets that try to make scientific news accessible to the lay person. Part of the problem is also the low state of STEM education in American public schools.

I can't comment on public impressions of today's psychology. Generally today psychology is a lot more scientific and evidence-based, and the old work of Freud and Jung, however foundational it might have been decades ago, is not much taught anymore in today's university psychology departments. In fact, a lot of psychology now verges on neuroscience.

I do not doubt for a New York minute that science is a dynamic enterprise. In a Uranian kind of way, pushing the "frontiers of knowledge" or overturning old beliefs with new information is at the heart of science. I just don't see this as leading to scientific inclusion of astrology, minus the kinds of in-depth research that I haven't seen to date. This is why I think it's better if we Just Don't Go There.

The scientists I knew during my university career happily rubbed shoulders with philosophers, historians, and studio art instructors, because these people had no pretenses or aspirations about being scientists. It's in claiming to be a science but patently not being a science in the professional sense that the problems occur.

This isn't to say that I'm a hardcore believer of Astrology, mind you. I still hold my skepticism but am still incredibly fascinated by the way it functions. This is, however, a call to acknowledge that we do not know the rules and laws of everything to do with existence and a willingness to be open to the prospect of being wrong in our perception.

Well, I've been studying astrology since ca. 1990 with a decent home library, I've read hundreds of charts for people to apparently good effect (judging from their feedback) and I still maintain a skeptical distance from many of astrology's truth-claims. I think this is intellectually healthy.

No, we don't know everything, and I doubt that we ever will. To claim otherwise is to make bigger claims for the human brain than are justifiable.

Academic science could do with more flexibility rather than having so many aspects of it being focused on simply proving and verifying our own perceptions to make us feel justified in our stances. Also careful with that appeal to authority - it's a tricky little logical fallacy that will trip everyone up ;)

I've been retired now for nearly a decade and have lost touch with my former colleagues, but the scientists I knew didn't fit this model. Some of them had huge egos, which I suppose comes with the ambition to generate millions of dollars of research grants in order to support a lab of grad students, post-docs, and technicians. Certainly they were bright and highly educated. Many of them were involved in research that seemingly didn't involve perception of our stances unless it was within their own group of specialists. As in, some of these scientists had projects on the Hubble telescope or on Arctic sea ice, were doing fresh water chemistry, or looked at marine mammals' hearing.

It is important to distinguish between science, scientists, and scientism.

Science: "systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment," more particularly through the scientific method.

Scientists: individual human beings who conduct science. As individual human beings they have a range of personality types, beliefs, and life experiences.

Scientism: belief in the power of science to solve all of humanity's problems, or science as the only legitimate form of human knowledge.

I'm not sure which authority you think I appeal to. Much of what I post is based on wide reading, critical thinking. and life experience. This isn't to say it's infallible.

waybread

moonrise, I am having difficulty in following your stream-of-consciousness post (rant). We seem to be veering away from the OP topic on signs and houses, and into the definitions of "science."

If you think astrology is a science, I can't stop you, but I can present an alternative point of view. I'm a retired academic. I rubbed shoulders with card-carrying scientists for over 30 years, and was married to one for 20 years. We had friends who are scientists. My brother was an engineering professor. I have a M. S. degree, but I recognized around then that I wasn't cut out to be a scientist, so I switched into a more social science/humanities-based research plan subsequently.

This doesn't mean my impressions of science are invariably correct, but I am not exactly talking through my hat, either.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no really rigorous, solid tests of astrology that have validated its truth-claims. I believe the Gauquelin "Mars effect" still holds up, but that isn't much of a hook upon which to hang astrology's validity. I've perused the academic literature for tests of astrology, but thought the studies were pretty pathetic, as in attempting to disprove astrology by matching up students' career aspirations and sun-signs.

Maybe I should clarify that I have never considered science to be the template against which other types of knowledge can be measured and found lacking. I've repeatedly pointed out empirical disciplines like history that are not sciences. Humanities research is systematic, but that doesn't make it science.

Science is defined by a very rigorous methodology that usually involves the use of statistics. I qualify this because, of course, you could have theoretical physics or astronomy that is more speculative-- but the argument is that, at some point, the theoretical propositions could and should be tested scientifically.

How I would like to design an astrological study through team-based, more qualitative research methods is another topic. I would like to see a team comprised of a couple of social scientists, professional astrologers, and perhaps an astronomer, collaboratively devise a project to examine astrology's truth-claims. It would have to start out using more qualitative, open-ended methods. It would seriously have to control for the Barnum (Forer) effect.

I really had trouble following your argument that neuroscience "is not even considered scientific, and was just recently proved to be almost totally flawed." Are you confusing Freudian psychotherapy with neuroscience?? They are not the same.

I belong to a small hobby club that includes a couple who are both retired psychology professors, and I once asked them about why Jung isn't taught in Canadian universities. Their answer is that psychology today is primarily a clinical field, with testing of propositions that is pretty scientific. Jung's theories, however intriguing, don't fit into this model.

I don't know what is your background in the social sciences at the university level, but I think you are really mistaken. Look, any academic discipline will contain the good, the bad, and the ugly; but the purpose of the research endeavour is to weed out the untenable or biased material so that what remains is hopefully either truer or more helpful to people. Postmodernism was really helpful to the social sciences in weeding out a lot of misconceptions, incidentally. But research funding being what it is, many universities are today more focused on pragmatic topics.

Since you seem mistaken about my views of astrology, let me say that it is primarily pragmatic. Rightly or wrongly, most people want to know about their love life, families, jobs, money, and other daily matters; not how they connect to the cosmos.

Further, if a method works, I would like to use it. A couple of months ago, I was studying medical astrology, for example, and found that midpoints did seem to have meaning. It is a good way, more generally, to see relationships between planets that do not share a major aspect. If you're familiar with the yod and Thor's hammer formations, the apex planet is basically a midpoint.

I practice a choice-centered astrology. A horoscope placement like a planet in a sign and house gives a set of parameters within which that planet operates. But each planet and sign has multiple valid meanings. Within that suite of valid meanings, the individual has some choice as to which ones they emphasize or de-emphasize in their lives. Further, people can be proactive about how they enact their horoscopes. When Pluto hits your IC and opposes your MC, this is a good time to clean the basement and reorganize your career. Do this before Pluto blindsides you and you wonder what hit you.

I resisted studying horary for many years. I've been studying it now for a few years. I think it's tricky, but like most things, it can be learned with sufficient study. Which I recommend.

waybread

moonrise, this is getting "curioser and curioser." I don't think you actually read what I wrote.

I am a retired academic. After my Master of Science, I turned to a more humanities-oriented research speciality that utilized my background but not in a scientific manner. I was hardly a "admittedly hard academic scientist" during my 31-year academic career.

I never brought up astrology to the scientists that I knew, beyond my husband, and studied in a very closet manner prior to my retirement. The history of astrology is actually becoming a respectable topic of academic study among historians of science. But the practice of astrology is not.

moonrise3, what I don't understand is what actually you would lose if you stopped thinking of astrology as a science. You don't need this label to do what you do. We can agree that astrology has many empirical and systematic components. But so do non-scientific fields like policy analysis and biblical criticism.

Please, just hold your thoughts about astrology, phone up or email an actual science department at your closest university, and ask for an appointment or lunch date with any faculty member willing to talk with you about what they do and what makes it a science.

Go ahead and post links to your informed sources on why neuroscience as a whole is fraudulent. I'd love to read them. Any field will have a few bad apples, but this generally doesn't disprove the work of the thousands of honest researchers who are going good work.

Please also post some links on all of the empirical studies of astrology that you think prove its truth claims.

In terms of how I do readings, I have many examples on this forum. Sources that greatly influenced my thinking today are the early books of Robert Hand, Steven Forrest's The Inner Sky, Stephen Arroyo on the elements, Karen Hamaker-Zondag on house cusps and others to a lesser extent. In the past I was greatly taken by spiritual astrology (Dane Rudhyar) and the modern astrology of Liz Greene and associates, but I don't much care for them these days. As I explore traditional and horary astrology I find the work of Deborah Houlding on Skyscript to be really helpful.

I've got a few hundred books and articles on astrology at home, not counting new material on the Internet, and every so often I find myself referring back to an older book or searching for new information.

But at some point, we just have to plunge in and read charts and see how accurate we are. It's the difference between reading the menu and eating the meal.

How about you??

But this is all taking us away from your insistence on the conflation of signs and houses, the purpose of this thread.

david starling

Waybread, can you see the difference between "CONFLATING" Signs and Houses, and "CONNECTING" them? To be clear regarding what "connection" involves: If for example, there's a Stellium in H11 in a Sign other than Aquarius, that DOESN'T impart "Aquarian qualities" to those indicators. It just shows the Area of Life they affect, and the effectiveness with which they do so, based on the Sign(s) each one rules relative to Aquarius as the Fixed, Air-sign. I'm not asking agreement concerning the method, just about the distinction between "conflate" and "connect". "Conflation" would mean H11 and the Sign Aquarius are the same thing, in which case Aquarian qualities WOULD accrue to the Chart just by the Stellium BEING in H11 (and I wouldn't agree that's the case).