10th house or MC? Which do you look at in regards to your career?

ChildOfVenus

When deciding on your career which house do you look at? I have a Taurus MC and Chiron and Mars in the 10th both are in gemini. Chiron is sextile my Mercury in Aries which is in the 8th.

GeminiGrrl

When deciding on your career which house do you look at? I have a Taurus MC and Chiron and Mars in the 10th both are in gemini. Chiron is sextile my Mercury in Aries which is in the 8th.

I think just about everyone would say that the answer to that question is "both." The Midheaven is the cusp of the tenth house and the sign where the Midheaven falls determines what planet rules that house, but the planets which are located in the tenth house are also very important -- as is the "elevated" planet, the planet which is placed closest to the top of the chart and the Midheaven (even if it's not in either the tenth or ninth house).

Since your Midheaven is in Taurus, the planet ruling your tenth house is Venus even though the planets which occupy your tenth house are in Gemini. Therefore, in order to provide a better assessment of what kind of career might be best suited to you, it would be helpful to know where your Venus is placed and what aspects it forms with other planets or points in your chart. By any chance, are Mars and Chiron conjunct in your chart? Chiron in Gemini suggests difficulties with communication and/or the nervous system, and its position in the tenth house suggests longstanding dissatisfaction in terms of career and public reputation. Mars in the tenth, on the other hand, suggests someone with a great deal of drive and ambition. It is interesting that your Chiron is sextile Mercury, which rules Gemini, in the eighth house -- and that at the same time, your eighth house appears to be ruled by Aries and the planet Mars which rules Aries is in the tenth house. There definitely seems to be some connection in your chart between the eighth and tenth house. It would be helpful to know where your Venus is placed and what signs/planets govern your second house (earned income) and sixth house (daily tasks) -- these may offer additional insight about the career as well, because career says a lot about income/daily tasks and vice versa.

Last edited:

hebrewlaborer

Account Closed
Both. I look to aspects to the MC, oppositions from the IC, conjunctions to the MC, trines, sextiles, squares etc. The nature of the planet aspecting the MC and the nature of the aspect will reveal more about the types of potential careers. Any planet tenanting a house can alter the sign on the house cusp. So for example, a Pisces MC but with Mars in the 10th house either in Pisces or Aries, which would change expression of that Pisces MC.

So really both, and aspects to the MC is important to look at. And the way that those planets in the 10th if there are any, are being aspected.
Also, RULER of the 10th. For me it's the Moon, having Cancer MC. So I look at the Moon because my 10th is untenanted, and my Moon is in the 3rd - I have often considered a career of writing and being an author (3rd is writing, communication, the hands) - I also work as a scribe/study support worker, which is mercurial in nature (Mercury rules the 3rd house). My Moon is unaspected in Sag - I "aspire" towards traveling the world and experiencing different cultures.

So the ruler plays an important part in it too. With Moon for me, Moon fluctuates wherever it has an influence, wax and wanes, so my career ambitions often wax and wane and I have many changes of heart. I may be pursuing one thing but when it comes to ideas about what I want to do in the future in terms of career, it changes a lot. Hard for a water sign on the MC to build a career in the normal sense that the world expects of us - we must adapt, change, go with our intuition etc.

ChildOfVenus

I think Chiron sextiles or trines my Mercury.
2gtatqq.jpg

ChildOfVenus

Yes it's true I do have a hard time in regards to deciding on a career. Everytime I think I'm happy and have it figured out I change my mind again. I've been saying I'm going for Dental Assisting but now I'm thinking about Massage Therapy again. I think I would enjoy Massage Therapy a little more by me being a Taurus.

dr. farr

Career, relative to which house? The 10th house (because in the whole sign house format which I use exclusively, the MC point can float, from the 9th house through the 11th house, and in far north latitudes even into the 12th!)

GeminiGrrl

Yes it's true I do have a hard time in regards to deciding on a career. Everytime I think I'm happy and have it figured out I change my mind again. I've been saying I'm going for Dental Assisting but now I'm thinking about Massage Therapy again. I think I would enjoy Massage Therapy a little more by me being a Taurus.

Attaching a copy of your natal chart makes a few things more clear. One thing which is particularly interesting is that the planet which rules your tenth house (Venus) is...where? The eighth house! This seems to amplify and confirm when I was saying before -- that there appears to be a connection between your eighth house and your tenth house. The cusp of your second house falls in Scorpio, making Pluto the ruler of your house of earned income -- and the cusp of your sixth house falls in the very last degrees of Capricorn, making Saturn the ruler of your sixth house of daily tasks. What this suggests to me is that even though you have trouble settling on a career, you take your responsibilities on the job seriously and are very diligent about carrying them out even if you sometimes chafe against them.

One thing I notice about your tenth house is that both Venus (which rules Taurus and therefore rules your tenth house) and Mars (which resides in the tenth house) are afflicted and I suspect that this is another reason why you have longstanding issues with career satisfaction -- especially since one of the planets challenging your Venus is Saturn, which (as we already discussed) rules your sixth house. It's a wide orb but it still counts -- and Saturn tends to inhibit whatever it touches in challenging aspect. (Saturn also forms a very tight inconjunct with your Midheaven, which explains a great deal.) The other planet which challenges your Venus is Uranus (which is conjunct Saturn in your chart). What this says to me is that a couple of factors which are important to you in terms of job satisfaction are a lot of variety in your daily routine and the freedom to work independently and/or the freedom to express your individuality at work. Venus also forms a square with Neptune in your chart but the orb is very wide. Assuming it counts, it suggests that you're having difficulty identifying a career which both pays you sufficiently well (Venus) and yet does not conflict with your values (Neptune). That being said, most of these planets are in Mutable rather than Fixed signs which might help lessen the conflict somewhat.

What's interesting about Mars in your chart (apart from the fact that it appears to be one of two elevated planets in your chart) is that it forms an fairly tight inconjunct with two more planets -- Neptune in your fifth house of creativity and Pluto in your third house of communication -- which form a sextile with each other. This is called a yod, and yods have a lot of significance in and influence over a natal chart. (I know because I have at least one in my chart.) The fact that Mars as the apex of the yod in the tenth house suggests that you probably owe it to yourself to find some way to incorporate communication (third house) and creativity (fifth house) into your career (tenth house). This should ideally also incorporate some Venusian and specifically Taurean elements in some way -- food, touch, beautiful objects, things which are pleasing to the five senses -- and if at all possible incorporate an eighth house element involving something transformative (which will potentially also satisfy some of your second house issues since Pluto, the planet of transformation which usually governs the eighth house, rules the second house in your chart). Putting all this together, I think massage therapy potentially could be a good line of work for you because it would include a lot of these elements -- it would allow you to work independently, it would provide you with flexibility, it would involve a Venusian element (touch, the five senses), and possibly also a Plutonian element in the sense of affecting people profoundly through the sense of touch especially since some people believe that deep tissue massage can bring repressed emotions to the surface. I wouldn't really recommend pursuing a career as as a dental assistant in your case -- in my opinion and experience, that's more of a Virgo thing (or possibly a Cancer or Capricorn thing) than it is a Taurus thing.

Last edited:

ChildOfVenus

I agree with everything you said I do have a difficult time picking a career. I always feel like it's not the right choice or that something is missing. I do think I would enjoy Massage Therapy more so than Dental Assisting. But I don't want to work as a Massage Therapist or Dental Assistant forever either. I only really wanted to go into Dental Assisting because I was thinking about the money. The school says they make $12 to $26 dollars an hour of course just graduating I'd probably only make $12 per hour. I went to get a Massage yesterday and the Therapist told me that she get's paid $17 to $19 per massage or either minimum wage when she doesn't have a client which is only $8.90 an hour. I do need some variety in my job that is really true. I get bored easily after awhile doing the same tasks over and over again. So while I'm working as Massage Therapist or Dental Assistant I'll be going to school for something else. I always wondered why I have such a difficult time picking a career now I know why.
Attaching a copy of your natal chart makes a few things more clear. One thing which is particularly interesting is that the planet which rules your tenth house (Venus) is...where? The eighth house! This seems to amplify and confirm when I was saying before -- that there appears to be a connection between your eighth house and your tenth house. The cusp of your second house falls in Scorpio, making Pluto the ruler of your house of earned income -- and the cusp of your sixth house falls in the very last degrees of Capricorn, making Saturn the ruler of your sixth house of daily tasks. What this suggests to me is that even though you have trouble settling on a career, you take your responsibilities on the job seriously and are very diligent about carrying them out even if you sometimes chafe against them.

One thing I notice about your tenth house is that both Venus (which rules Taurus and therefore rules your tenth house) and Mars (which resides in the tenth house) are afflicted and I suspect that this is another reason why you have longstanding issues with career satisfaction -- especially since one of the planets challenging your Venus is Saturn, which (as we already discussed) rules your sixth house. It's a wide orb but it still counts -- and Saturn tends to inhibit whatever it touches in challenging aspect. (Saturn also forms a very tight inconjunct with your Midheaven, which explains a great deal.) The other planet which challenges your Venus is Uranus (which is conjunct Saturn in your chart). What this says to me is that a couple of factors which are important to you in terms of job satisfaction are a lot of variety in your daily routine and the freedom to work independently and/or the freedom to express your individuality at work. Venus also forms a square with Neptune in your chart but the orb is very wide. Assuming it counts, it suggests that you're having difficulty identifying a career which both pays you sufficiently well (Venus) and yet does not conflict with your values (Neptune). That being said, most of these planets are in Mutable rather than Fixed signs which might help lessen the conflict somewhat.

What's interesting about Mars in your chart (apart from the fact that it appears to be one of two elevated planets in your chart) is that it forms an fairly tight inconjunct with two more planets -- Neptune in your fifth house of creativity and Pluto in your third house of communication -- which form a sextile with each other. This is called a yod, and yods have a lot of significance in and influence over a natal chart. (I know because I have at least one in my chart.) The fact that Mars as the apex of the yod in the tenth house suggests that you probably owe it to yourself to find some way to incorporate communication (third house) and creativity (fifth house) into your career (tenth house). This should ideally also incorporate some Venusian and specifically Taurean elements in some way -- food, touch, beautiful objects, things which are pleasing to the five senses -- and if at all possible incorporate an eighth house element involving something transformative (which will potentially also satisfy some of your second house issues since Pluto, the planet of transformation which usually governs the eighth house, rules the second house in your chart). Putting all this together, I think massage therapy potentially could be a good line of work for you because it would include a lot of these elements -- it would allow you to work independently, it would provide you with flexibility, it would involve a Venusian element (touch, the five senses), and possibly also a Plutonian element in the sense of affecting people profoundly through the sense of touch especially since some people believe that deep tissue massage can bring repressed emotions to the surface. I wouldn't really recommend pursuing a career as as a dental assistant in your case -- in my opinion and experience, that's more of a Virgo thing (or possibly a Cancer or Capricorn thing) than it is a Taurus thing.

CapAquaPis

Some charts have the MC cusp in the 8th, others in their 9th, and even in their 11th houses, I read a few in 7th and rare in 12th, the most common MC placement is in the 10th or the "southern" horizon of their natal star charts, esp when someone didn't or hadn't given out their birth times, the noon-time ASC would display these MC placement differences per individual to display personal ambitions in their own chosen? career paths (i.e. cusp 9th involves the office, 10th is manual labor).