Unclear Venus in 7th or 8th House

AVisitor

My Venus is in the 7th House according to Placidus, but 8th according to Equal House.

The problem I have with the 7th-House (Placidus) theory is that I'm an isolated person who's never been in a relationship. So my question is: Is it possible to have Venus in 7th for someone who hasn't been in relationships, but rather has spent much of his life alone?

I've thought about the more "general" nature of the 7th House (such as art or beauty), but most sites suggest that the 7th is specifically about marriages and partnerships. But I'm a loner and I don't see how that would fit.

JUPITERASC

My Venus is in the 7th House according to Placidus,

but 8th according to Equal House.
to clarify this issue for you :smile:
I'm quoting dr. farr - who practised astrology for more than fifty years
and posted the following historical note
on how the MEANING OF THE WORD CUSP HAS CHANGED

and then dr. farr
explains the original WHOLE SIGN HOUSE method

and

how WHOLE SIGN differs from both EQUAL HOUSE and PLACIDUS

dr. farr then discusses with examples

the application of genuine whole sign methods
to chart delineation
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42085

Cusps: Today (and for the past thousand years or so) we define cusps as "borders" (coasts), but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp": it means "point" such as cuspal teeth (bicuspids) and the point of a sword

- so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something, and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point";

now, when quadrant systems were developed, this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning", which later came to mean its "border", ie, the "border" between one house and the other.

And later astrology also began using these "borders" (cusps) for various prognostic applications (Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this: in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!

In whole sign, the "cusp" retained its original meaning, not as a "border" but rather as A POINT

-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house, was the sensitive point of that house, viz, the sensitive point in whole sign houses-each house-that is the "cusp" of each house-is a direct projection from the ascending degree.

Example:
-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus: what are the house cusps (sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp") in the whole sign houses of this chart?
Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps" (sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point") that are (and were) used for progressions, timing of events, etc, and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)

Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything, but it DOES use "cusps" (points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree) for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished (both in the West and in Vedic astrology) during the same period of time-ie, late 8th to early 9th century - this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices, rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method (whole sign) by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME)

I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is) or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago: only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me (ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?
Well, whole sign did all that, for me, so I switched; but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it, except for beginners-to you who might just be starting out, I would say: try whole sign first, and see how well it might work for you...

JUPITERASC

The problem I have with the 7th-House (Placidus) theory
is that I'm an isolated person
who's never been in a relationship.

So my question is:
Is it possible to have Venus in 7th
for someone who hasn't been in relationships, but
rather has spent much of his life alone?
It is possible
because

- entirely dependent on natal Venus condition, strength and ability to act

I've thought about the more "general" nature of the 7th House
(such as art or beauty), but
most sites suggest that the 7th is specifically about marriages
and partnerships.
But I'm a loner and I don't see how that would fit

'.....The art of synthesizing chart factors
in the process of analysis
calls us to consider many factors :smile:

One of the most important is the strength and dignity of the planets.

The 'benefics' are not constant sources of good fortune,
the 'malefics' are not always damaging

nor is it fair to assume that all planets express an equal importance
at all times...'

COMPLETE FREE GUIDE TO UNDERSTANDING PLANETARY STRENGTH :smile:
at http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dignities.html

Osamenor

Staff member
So my question is: Is it possible to have Venus in 7th for someone who hasn't been in relationships, but rather has spent much of his life alone?

Yes. It's also possible to have Venus in the eighth and be someone who's never without a partner. Which house Venus is in doesn't determine that.

What sign is your Venus in? What aspects does it make? Is it retrograde or direct? If direct, has it gone retrograde by progression? For your Venus to have gone retrograde by progression, there has to have been a Venus retrograde within however many days after your birth equals however many years old you are now.

Often, people who spend much of their lives without a partner have Saturn involved in their relationship arena. If any of the following are true of your Saturn:

- It forms a close aspect to your Venus

- It forms a close aspect to your seventh house ruler

- It is your seventh house ruler

- It's in your seventh house (this also applies if Saturn is within a few degrees of your DC on the sixth house side)

... then you have Saturn energy coloring your partnerships. That usually creates a pattern of slow to get involved, committed when you do, and long periods of singlehood.

Bunraku

If it’s within 15 degrees approaching the angle then it’s very potent. And 5 degrees after the angle.
But topically it applies to the 8th house if it’s in the 8th sign from the ASC.

AVisitor

So after some more investigation, it looks like the Placidus system doesn't work for me at all, even for other reasons not related to Venus-7th.

All of my planets shift by 1 house when I switch from Placidus to Equal. The Placidus image is inaccurate based on my life experience, but Equal is accurate. For instance my 10th House (Career) has planets in Virgo in Equal House which is correct since I work in detailed analysis fields, but Placidus shows it in Libra which doesn't fit. Also I have a psychological issue which is a square in my chart involving Uranus which Equal House shows in the 12th House (correctly: the subsconscious mind & self-doing) but Placidus shows in the 11th.

I'm surprised Placidus is so common and the "default," my brief analysis shows it doesn't work and I'm not even an astrologer, just a layman who's read a few articles about astrology.

Looks like Equal House matches.

Osamenor

Staff member
If you feel equal house is best, by all means use it! That said, there are lots more considerations that what you've apparently considered....

All of my planets shift by 1 house when I switch from Placidus to Equal. The Placidus image is inaccurate based on my life experience, but Equal is accurate. For instance my 10th House (Career) has planets in Virgo in Equal House which is correct since I work in detailed analysis fields, but Placidus shows it in Libra which doesn't fit.
Which sign is your MC in? If it's in Virgo, that would give a Virgo flavor to your career whether or not there are Virgo planets inside the tenth. If it's in Libra, it's still in Libra if you use an equal house version of your chart (it just isn't your tenth house cusp).

A Libra MC could also describe an analyst; it would just describe it in a different way from Virgo. The sign placement of your Venus would also be relevant. It sounds like you have Venus in Gemini. That would give a mercurial and information/detail oriented flavor to your MC either way.

Also I have a psychological issue which is a square in my chart involving Uranus which Equal House shows in the 12th House (correctly: the subsconscious mind & self-doing) but Placidus shows in the 11th.
What planet does your Uranus square? What house is that planet in (equal, Placidus, or both)? With or without Uranus in the twelfth, the psychological issue could relate to the other planet and its placement. And you could have other chart factors involved in that psychological issue. It's not necessarily just because of that square.

Based on the sign placements you have mentioned, it sounds like you have Uranus in Scorpio. Scorpio also describes the unconscious and psychology, psychological issues.

Some people find one particular house system works best with transits and timing. But any house system could describe your personality, gifts, and challenges. They just go about it a little differently.

Last edited:

wan

Isn't a Venus in the 7th house a very "fortunate" placement? It's in the house that it is naturally found in (Libra's house). You should be able to feel it quite strongly if it's indeed in this house.

Last edited: