How do you calculate navamsa ascendant degrees?

flyonmyzephyr

I was reading on Barbara Pijan's website that the nakshatra of your navamsa ascendant says a lot about the personality of your future spouse. How do you calculate the navamsa ascendant degrees? Is it the same degrees as your d1?

Crystalpages

I was reading on Barbara Pijan's website that the nakshatra of your navamsa ascendant says a lot about the personality of your future spouse. How do you calculate the navamsa ascendant degrees? Is it the same degrees as your d1?

I am guessing and have a suspicion that a proportional-zodiac might be involved. The D1 zodiac (the standard and traditional one) divides 360 degrees (circle) into 12 signs of 30deg each or 27 nakshatras of 13d-20min each (let us keep the 28th special one aside for simplicity). Since the D9 circle spans 40degrees, one would have to proportionately reduce the scale by 1/9th. Viewed another way, since each navamsha is a quarter (pada or charan) of traditional nakshatras and represents one D9-sign.

I think some software incorporate such calculations; you are encouraged to verify using google etc. Or write to Barbara directly to clarify.

mathur_dinesh

Suppose we want to know the navamsha longitude of the Sun which in the birth chart is at 8 deg Gemini. This can be written as 2s8deg.
Multiply the longitude of the Sun by 9 (navamsha is the 9th divisional chart). This would be 2x9s8x9deg=18s72deg. Deduct 360 deg or 12 s (sign) wherever necessary. Therefore (18-12)s(72=2s12deg).This would be (6s+2s)12deg. This is 8s12deg.
:happy:

Last edited:

mathur_dinesh

The Sun is at 8 deg in Gemini. This means that it has crossed Aries and Taurus in full (therefore 2 signs in full) and is at 8 deg in Gemini. Hence 2sign8deg or 2s8d.