Questions about the Chinese Calendar

Mark

I am a Western astrologer trying to understand the best way to implement Eastern knowledge in my current work. The first stumbling block I ran into was the same for Tibetan/Chinese systems as it was for the Hebrew system, the lunisolar calendar. The trouble is that the lunisolar calendar uses a leap month to keep the activities of the Sun and Moon relatively (though not very closely) synchronised over long periods of time. The Gregorian calendar uses leap days to adjust for the fact that a year can't be measured in whole days and must use fractions of a day. This means that both calendars have an inherent drift and the drifts are based on different things. Either one could be superior, depending on what it is you're trying to measure.

It's worth mentioning that the Chinese calendar changed several times in the first few centuries B.C., which is certainly after the peak of Chinese prediction/astrology. My worry here is that revisions of the calendar were made for political reasons and the predictive/astrological value of the calendar was not adequately considered. A quick read on Wikipedia describes several of these changes that may or may not have broken the calendar. At any rate, it is clear that the Chinese calendar is NOT a long, unbroken line of measured time.

The Chinese lunisolar calendar is the one used for prediction/astrology, but intercalary (leap) months were often inserted in an almost arbitrary manner until the advent of the Sifen calendar (around 484 B.C.), which was much more mathematical than intuitive. It seems that the previous arbitrary nature of the months didn't effect the predictive accuracy of Chinese divination/astrology, even though that divination/astrology often depended on counted days from the beginning of a year or month.

As a Western astrologer, my first thought as to how all this can be simplified is to anchor the Chinese zodiac to the tropical year. As dr. farr mentioned in another thread, the Rabbit (a time of year I understand is called Chunfen or Shunbun) is supposed to begin with the vernal (Spring) equinox. Anchoring the zodiac to the tropical year has worked quite well in the West, so it stands to reason that the same should work for the Chinese zodiac. This, however, is not a simple problem of choosing tropical or sidereal measurements of the same things. The months of the Chinese calendar are lunar months, not 12 divisions of solar movement, and there are a number of predictive/astrological techniques that require this lunar foundation. Auspicious days, for example, are often counted from the beginning of a lunar month. Without the lunar month, those techniques make no sense.

It seems that if we were to do nothing more than anchor the Chinese zodiac to the tropical year, we would have a Chinese version of the Western zodiac and not much more. The official Chinese calendar, however, is not an unbroken, linear measurement of time, so we can't trust that the Chinese calendar would give us the same information today that it would have a few thousand years ago. Therefore, we can't rely on a simple accumulation of days counted since an anchor date to provide us with reliable information. Luckily, given the "broken" nature of the Chinese calendar, this may not be necessary. After all, people were still using it for prediction/astrology while it was being changed. I have no idea, though, whether they compensated for the changes or followed them.

So, here are some direct questions. Is it true that the predictive/astrological calendar of the Chinese is supposed to "float" around observed phenomena, meaning that the equinox and solstice points are not the beginning or end of any year, but the full or new moons that fall around them provide the beginning and end points of the year? I suppose what I'm really trying to ask is how the beginning of the year should be determined if you had no knowledge of the beginning of last year? Should the starting point be the last full moon before the vernal (Spring) equinox? Should it be the new moon before the equinox? Forgetting all the calendrics and mathematics, what simple rule could be used to determine the beginning of the predictive/astrological year?

Of course, if I am mistaken about some of the things I've said, please correct me. Forgetting math and calenders, what acts of the Sun and Moon should be the start of the year that is useful for prediction/astrology?

Mark

If the beginning of the year always falls on February 4th (or even in a small window in early February), then it can't be produced by a lunisolar calendar. The Chinese have two calendars: a solar calendar for mundane matters (which parallels the Gregorian calendar) and the traditional lunisolar calendar. According to the lunisolar calendar, the year often begins in late January or in the middle of February. The mundane calendar should not be used for astrology, because that would produce Western-style astrological information. That is fine, but we already have tons of that. I'm looking for a simple rule to determine the beginning of a lunisolar year on any year.

26Degree

I repeat, for divination purposes, Chinese practitioners follow the "24 Solar Terms" as mentioned in the wiki entry above. Farmers also used to look at these solar terms to time their agricultural activities. You could say that it's some kind of a farmer's calender/almanac.

dr. farr

A good, succinct explanation of this matter is given in Derek Walters "Chinese Astrology Bible"; if you want a more detailed academic/historical examination, see Walters "Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology", which devotes an entire 30 page chapter to the calendar issue (currently this book is available @ Amazon for as little as $1.90! It is possibly the best expert level examination of Chinese astrology within its historical and philosophical context, available in the English language)

Mark

26Degree: Then the question I'm asking would be, "When does Lichun start?" I know about the solar terms, but they are based on the start/end of the year. If they always agree with a solar calendar, then those aren't the ones I want.

dr. farr: You're filling up my amazon book list. I will probably be ordering the Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology by Walters to flesh out my book collection. I have books that cover Chinese astrology, but none that are devoted entirely to it. Perhaps this will help to clarify a perspective of Chinese astrology for me.

General Address: Okay, I'm starting to think the easiest way to start a lunisolar calendar is with this rule: The year begins on the last full moon before the vernal equinox. This would mean that some years would naturally get 12 months and others would get 13, and the rule would have no preference for any particular year. This may not jive with the ancient nor modern Chinese calendars, but it seems a very simple way to begin. The arbitrary nature of the ancient intercalary (leap) month seems to say that this rule would not cause problems. What do you guys think of that?

dr. farr

The Chinese lunar calendar begins (the year) on the second new moon following the Winter solstice: this date floats about somewhat but returns to the same day every 19 years.

The second calendar used in Chinese astrology (especially in determining the year for the natal Animal) is the exact middle of the time between the Winter solstice and the Vernal equinox, which has been February 4th for a long time.

So the Chinese use 2 calendars one with a floating day for the beginning of the year, and the other with a fixed day (reminds me, by analogy, of our Tropical fixed zodiac on one hand the the moving sidereal constellational zodiac on the other)

A (very) small percentage of (ultra) traditional Chinese astrologers (almost all of them still in old China or adjacent countries in Asia) continue to adhere to a (very) ancient doctrine which always starts the astronomical/astrological year at the Winter solstice

SniperBomber328

26Degree: Then the question I'm asking would be, "When does Lichun start?" I know about the solar terms, but they are based on the start/end of the year. If they always agree with a solar calendar, then those aren't the ones I want.

dr. farr: You're filling up my amazon book list. I will probably be ordering the Complete Guide to Chinese Astrology by Walters to flesh out my book collection. I have books that cover Chinese astrology, but none that are devoted entirely to it. Perhaps this will help to clarify a perspective of Chinese astrology for me.

General Address: Okay, I'm starting to think the easiest way to start a lunisolar calendar is with this rule: The year begins on the last full moon before the vernal equinox. This would mean that some years would naturally get 12 months and others would get 13, and the rule would have no preference for any particular year. This may not jive with the ancient nor modern Chinese calendars, but it seems a very simple way to begin. The arbitrary nature of the ancient intercalary (leap) month seems to say that this rule would not cause problems. What do you guys think of that?

I don't know if this will help, but there are many good books of the Chinese Zodiac by Theodora Lau.
I personally have the 2010 Chinese Horoscopes book by her, and the Chinese Horoscopes Guide to Relationships, Finance, Etc. Although I don't own them for Astrology Purposes, but mostly just to see if a Family or Friend matches their Year, Day, Hour or Month Descriptons. In other words, for a fun purpose.

eric1981

As far as I could tell,there are currently no easy equation to calculate a beginning of a year without knowledge of the last year.

And in my opinion,it is impossible to anchor the Chinese zodiacto the tropical year.A lunar month counts 29.5306 days and a tropical year 365.2422.There is no way (at least for now) to find the relationship between those two numbers.And this is the root of the problem.All others,leap year,leap month,etc.are derived from that fact.

I have studied various calculations and articles on how to determine the month,year,Gan-Zhi.All of them require reference to a certain year (i.e. 1900).And no calculations are 100% perfect.

quying

In China Every 4 years , there will be a leap year. Calculated for the entire year out of 4 and 12 of that year is a leap year. There are only 28 days in February in the leap year, the average year are 29 days.