Cusp of POWER

greybeard

Astrolgers are noted for quibbling over gnat hairs.

Regarding the modern planets, I personally do not use them for most rulerships (yet I do; I say this with reservations).

But as far as rulership of the common things about us, I reserve the power of rulership to the seven planets of antiquity.

The rulership of springs was traditionally given to Moon (e.g., Lilly & Ramesey) and the sign Cancer. Al Biruni used Mercury. Land in the environs of a spring was given to Aquarius for reasons I have never understood.

With the addition of the quality hot, I would apply joint rulership of Moon and Mars. In the case of mineral springs used as treatments toward healing, perhaps the soothing Jupiter might get involved, or the transforming sign of Scorpio.

Wells were given to Saturn, and Cancer or Pisces (Lilly used both signs). Saturn rules things of the Earth, of things underground, deep and dark, and rules mines and mining; and what is a well but a "water mine"?

Rulerships (like the houses) are not rigid. It depends on context, on usage or application, and also on the astrologer's understanding of the nature of planets and signs.

Oh, and the modern planets. I use them as rulers of modern things (although I always like to use the old planets anyway.) Photography, for example, came along as Neptune was discovered; it is modern and of the nature of Neptune. But Moon has always, and still does, rule all forms of images and imagery, feelings and emotions, memory....and these things are all contained in photograpy. So there is no reason why the Moon should not rule that art or science. Nuclear power I give to Pluto, because the two came along hand-in-hand down the road of history, and the nuclear reactions (fusion and fission) are of the nature of Pluto. But Mars has always been the ruler of energy, of the power to motivate or move other things, and even of explosions (poor Japan). So Mars can also be said to rule this new form of an old thing. Even the Sun could be considered: the Sun is Primal Energy, and nuclear (because at center, holding and organizing the whole, the original or elemental source.

Rulerships have to do with "anaologous nature." Often the assignment of rulership depends on which perspective you take of a thing. Land, for example, is a Fourth House thing, but only when it is seen as a heritage, a foundation...if land becomes a means of speculation for profit, it moves to the 5th House, or if seen as farm land with emphasis on the crops it can or does produce, it could be a Sixth House thing.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Nuclear power I give to Pluto, because the two came along hand-in-hand down the road of history, and the nuclear reactions (fusion and fission) are of the nature of Pluto. But Mars has always been the ruler of energy, of the power to motivate or move other things, and even of explosions (poor Japan). So Mars can also be said to rule this new form of an old thing. Even the Sun could be considered
Apparently some opine that the Sun IS itself a 'nuclear furnace' HOWEVER it is unlikely that we'll find much agreement on that topic either :smile:

dr. farr

Sun-Mars-Pluto all have qualities of fire, intensity, power in common; Pluto is co-affinitive in Scorpio under Mars and the Sun is exalted in Aries, also under Mars; Mars also finds special affinity in solar Leo; interesting that in Vedic astrology Sun and Mars are considered "natural malefics", to which we might add Pluto as a "natural malefic" (note though that in Vedic doctrine a natural malefic can become a functional benefic under a number of circumstances)
I also attribute a close relationship of PLuto with fissionable nuclear energy, which is somewhat different than the Sun which is primarily affinitivce with nuclear fusion (nuclear fusion is in fact the Sun's primary energy generating mechanism); Pluto fissions at the fundamental (atomic) level (and leads to destruction), Sun fuses at the same fundamental level, which in a way is an opposite kind of nuclear mechanism.
So while there are similarities between Sun and Pluto, there is also a fundamental difference; since fire (consuming, burning fire, destructive fire) is affinitive to Mars, we see a closer connection between Mars and Pluto-more a similarity in their fundamental natures-than between the fundamental natures of Sun and Pluto...

IleneK

Premium Member

Regarding the modern planets, I personally do not use them for most rulerships (yet I do; I say this with reservations).

But as far as rulership of the common things about us, I reserve the power of rulership to the seven planets of antiquity.

The rulership of springs was traditionally given to Moon (e.g., Lilly & Ramesey) and the sign Cancer. Al Biruni used Mercury. Land in the environs of a spring was given to Aquarius for reasons I have never understood.

With the addition of the quality hot, I would apply joint rulership of Moon and Mars. In the case of mineral springs used as treatments toward healing, perhaps the soothing Jupiter might get involved, or the transforming sign of Scorpio.

Wells were given to Saturn, and Cancer or Pisces (Lilly used both signs). Saturn rules things of the Earth, of things underground, deep and dark, and rules mines and mining; and what is a well but a "water mine"?

Rulerships (like the houses) are not rigid. It depends on context, on usage or application, and also on the astrologer's understanding of the nature of planets and signs.

Oh, and the modern planets. I use them as rulers of modern things (although I always like to use the old planets anyway.) Photography, for example, came along as Neptune was discovered; it is modern and of the nature of Neptune. But Moon has always, and still does, rule all forms of images and imagery, feelings and emotions, memory....and these things are all contained in photograpy. So there is no reason why the Moon should not rule that art or science. Nuclear power I give to Pluto, because the two came along hand-in-hand down the road of history, and the nuclear reactions (fusion and fission) are of the nature of Pluto. But Mars has always been the ruler of energy, of the power to motivate or move other things, and even of explosions (poor Japan). So Mars can also be said to rule this new form of an old thing. Even the Sun could be considered: the Sun is Primal Energy, and nuclear (because at center, holding and organizing the whole, the original or elemental source.

Rulerships have to do with "anaologous nature." Often the assignment of rulership depends on which perspective you take of a thing. Land, for example, is a Fourth House thing, but only when it is seen as a heritage, a foundation...if land becomes a means of speculation for profit, it moves to the 5th House, or if seen as farm land with emphasis on the crops it can or does produce, it could be a Sixth House thing.

OK, you astrology wizard, what's the astrological symbolism for a hot spring?
icon7.gif

JUPITERASC

Sun-Mars-Pluto all have qualities of fire
On the contrary, Pluto is extremely cold because on average, Pluto is more than 3.6 billion miles (5.8 billion kilometers) away from the sun :smile:

i.e. about 40 times as far from the sun as Earth. At its closest point to the sun Pluto is still billions of miles away. So Pluto is extraordinarily cold.

In contrast - UNLIKE PLUTO - the Sun is remarkably HOT and Mars is also hot.

Sun is obviously hotter than Mars, however Sun AND Mars are BOTH hot - unlike Pluto

....So while there are similarities between Sun and Pluto, there is also a fundamental difference; since fire (consuming, burning fire, destructive fire) is affinitive to Mars, we see a closer connection between Mars and Pluto-more a similarity in their fundamental natures-than between the fundamental natures of Sun and Pluto...
Saturn is considered cold. Pluto is icy cold, colder than Saturn

*emma*

Banned
Not sure u can correlate planets actual temperatures with symbolic meanings

Venus us considered the planet of love, warmth, etc though in reality is freezing as hell

JUPITERASC

Venus us considered the planet of love, warmth, etc though in reality is freezing as hell
Certainly, 'Hell' has a reputation of being amazingly 'hot' :smile:

“...In many ways Venus is Earth’s twin planet. It’s only a little smaller, and made up of the same composition as Earth. But when it comes to climate, Venus couldn’t really be more different. Venus is a hellish world – the hottest planet in the Solar System, with an average temperature of more than 400°C, and a surface pressure almost 100 times what we experience here on Earth....” source: NASA

greybeard

Yup, Venus is hot and the atmosphere is corrosive. Not a potential colony.

Hot springs are springs, first and foremost. Moon and Cancer rule springs.

The hot part...I like Mars.

Mostly this sort of rulership is used in horaray astrology, where you want to specify things regarding a direct question.

Now, who rules my son (I certainly don't), "the naked bather"?

The thing with Moon and Neptune and photography deserves some comment.

The discovery of Neptune and the invention of photographic processes occurred more or less synchronously, and most astrology texts therefore say that Neptune rules photography.

And I use Neptune as ruler of photography most of the time. But we could just as easily, and correctly, say the Moon.

The Moon has long been the ruler of all sorts of images and impressions. It is reflection; a photograph reflects the reality of which it is the image, but is not that reality. Moon is also memory, and a photograph is "memory" in two ways: first, it evokes memories of people and places in those who see it, and it is a "record" of something and memory in that sense. Silver is ruled by the Moon (the white noble metal) and has long been used as the reflective coating for mirrors. And when photography came along, the photoreactive properties of silver compounds were what made it possible. Silver is sensitive to light, and undergoes change in its presence, thus holding the image. We could also say that the Moon rules "contrast", because it changes in brightness. It goes from bright to dark and back again, with all the intermediate stages. Especially in the original black and white photography, the images were created by contrast.

Two other basic things are required in photography in addition to the photosensitive surface. One is a lens, which can be as simple as a pinhole. The other is a black box, which serves to contain the light allowed to enter it and simultaneously exclude unwanted light. The second one is easy: Saturn.

As for the lens, I lean toward Mercury, but then the old guys give "sight" to the Sun, and the two eyes are ruled by Sun and Moon, although Al-Biruni gives dominion of "far-sightedness" to Mercury.

I looked up over a dozen words that might apply to the function of a lens, and found no reference of any kind in the old authors. The optical lens was unheard of until 1600, which means the old authors were unfamiliar with them. I looked up the following: lens, gate, door, portal, pipe (aha!), valve, canal, channel (aha!), entry, opening, and several others to no avail. Water pipes are given to Moon and to Saturn: to Moon because a pipe conveys water, and to Saturn because it is a conduit (containing body) and also possibly because of its rulership of lead and plumbing (the word refers to the use of lead). Irrigation channels are given to Mercury by Al-Biruni. Lentils (which are lens-shaped beans) are given to Mercury, Venus and Saturn, depending on the author; Lilly gives them to two different rulers. But "lentil-shaped stones" belong to Mars according to Al-Biruni. What are we to do?

I like Mercury. It is intuitive, but Mercury seems to me the best candidate for rulership of the lens.

Well, anyway, Moon (among the seven ancient planets) rules photography -- after all, it is the image that interests us, and not the means of obtaining it. She is assisted by the black box Saturn, and the lens Mercury.

I suppose all of this sounds superfluous, but rulerships are very important in astrology, and they are arrived at by reason and are not random assignments or whimsical choices.

A good exercise for learning astrology is to go through your normal day observing things, people and situations while asking yourself..."Which planet, sign or house rules this thing, person or situation?" This kind of exercise leads you to deeper understanding of the true natures of the different symbols.

JUPITERASC

yep jupiter got it wrong for some reason i thought venus was cold, ignore me
*emma* you said

*emma* I DISAGREED WITH YOU AND SAID ON THE CONTRARY VENUS IS HOT
Certainly, 'Hell' has a reputation of being amazingly 'hot' :smile:

“...In many ways Venus is Earth’s twin planet. It’s only a little smaller, and made up of the same composition as Earth. But when it comes to climate, Venus couldn’t really be more different. Venus is a hellish world – the hottest planet in the Solar System, with an average temperature of more than 400°C, and a surface pressure almost 100 times what we experience here on Earth....” source: NASA
SO AS PREVIOUSLY POSTED - I SAID VENUS IS HOT AND I ALSO SAID PLUTO IS COLD :smile:
On the contrary, Pluto is extremely cold because on average, Pluto is more than 3.6 billion miles (5.8 billion kilometers) away from the sun

i.e. about 40 times as far from the sun as Earth. At its closest point to the sun Pluto is still billions of miles away. So Pluto is extraordinarily cold.

In contrast - UNLIKE PLUTO - the Sun is remarkably HOT and Mars is also hot.

Sun is obviously hotter than Mars, however Sun AND Mars are BOTH hot - unlike Pluto

JUPITERASC

Yup, Venus is hot and the atmosphere is corrosive. Not a potential colony.

Hot springs are springs, first and foremost. Moon and Cancer rule springs.

The hot part...I like Mars.

Mostly this sort of rulership is used in horaray astrology, where you want to specify things regarding a direct question.
Now, who rules my son (I certainly don't), "the naked bather"?
The thing with Moon and Neptune and photography deserves some comment.
The discovery of Neptune and the invention of photographic processes occurred more or less synchronously, and most astrology texts therefore say that Neptune rules photography.

And I use Neptune as ruler of photography most of the time. But we could just as easily, and correctly, say the Moon.

The Moon has long been the ruler of all sorts of images and impressions. It is reflection; a photograph reflects the reality of which it is the image, but is not that reality. Moon is also memory, and a photograph is "memory" in two ways: first, it evokes memories of people and places in those who see it, and it is a "record" of something and memory in that sense. Silver is ruled by the Moon (the white noble metal) and has long been used as the reflective coating for mirrors. And when photography came along, the photoreactive properties of silver compounds were what made it possible. Silver is sensitive to light, and undergoes change in its presence, thus holding the image. We could also say that the Moon rules "contrast", because it changes in brightness. It goes from bright to dark and back again, with all the intermediate stages. Especially in the original black and white photography, the images were created by contrast.

Two other basic things are required in photography in addition to the photosensitive surface. One is a lens, which can be as simple as a pinhole. The other is a black box, which serves to contain the light allowed to enter it and simultaneously exclude unwanted light. The second one is easy: Saturn.

As for the lens, I lean toward Mercury, but then the old guys give "sight" to the Sun, and the two eyes are ruled by Sun and Moon, although Al-Biruni gives dominion of "far-sightedness" to Mercury.

I looked up over a dozen words that might apply to the function of a lens, and found no reference of any kind in the old authors. The optical lens was unheard of until 1600, which means the old authors were unfamiliar with them. I looked up the following: lens, gate, door, portal, pipe (aha!), valve, canal, channel (aha!), entry, opening, and several others to no avail. Water pipes are given to Moon and to Saturn: to Moon because a pipe conveys water, and to Saturn because it is a conduit (containing body) and also possibly because of its rulership of lead and plumbing (the word refers to the use of lead). Irrigation channels are given to Mercury by Al-Biruni. Lentils (which are lens-shaped beans) are given to Mercury, Venus and Saturn, depending on the author; Lilly gives them to two different rulers. But "lentil-shaped stones" belong to Mars according to Al-Biruni. What are we to do?

I like Mercury. It is intuitive, but Mercury seems to me the best candidate for rulership of the lens.

Well, anyway, Moon (among the seven ancient planets) rules photography -- after all, it is the image that interests us, and not the means of obtaining it. She is assisted by the black box Saturn, and the lens Mercury.

I suppose all of this sounds superfluous, but rulerships are very important in astrology, and they are arrived at by reason and are not random assignments or whimsical choices.

A good exercise for learning astrology is to go through your normal day observing things, people and situations while asking yourself..."Which planet, sign or house rules this thing, person or situation?" This kind of exercise leads you to deeper understanding of the true natures of the different symbols.
Thanks - makes sense :smile:

tautomer

Off-topic (sorta). I can't resist sharing, cause I love science so much :D. An interesting tidbit: Saturn would be perceived as FAR colder then Pluto, despite Pluto being much colder.

Science lesson of the day! Temperature is really a measurement of molecular movement. How fast, much, and in what ways molecules are vibrating, twisting, spinning, etc.. We simply perceive that as heat. Excluding cases of radiative heat, such as microwaves or infrared (which "heat" via a different mechanism), heat is transferred mostly by contact. The reason your pot heats up on the stove is because the satistical vibrational modes of the coil causes nearby molecules in contact with to absorb this energy and vibrate faster. Think of jumping on a trampoline with a friend, if they bounce you will absorb some of that energy as you occupy the same space.

In the case of saturn, the air pressure is quite high. Significantly more so than that of pluto which has a very tenuous atmosphere at best. Because of this difference, heat (or in this case, there lack of) will be transferred at different rates. The large amount of gas molecules on saturn would have trillions upon trillions upon trillions of times more molecular colissions with the surface of your skin. More contact, means heat will be transferred to the gas much more quickly. Then you have pluto, which effectively has almost no atmosphere. Very little gas to transfer heat out of your body. Thus it would take much longer, and not be easily felt.

Moral of the story: "Hot and cold" is independent of the amount of material in which it is contained. Thus something that is freezing cold, might not actually be perceived as "cold", in the ways that we know it.

Science! It works! :D

dr. farr

The ancient associations of planets with the humors, elements, tempers, etc is (and was) entirely symbolic in essence and had (and has) nothing whatsoever to do with astro-physical conditions on any of the planets, their atmospheres, etc etc.
Of course the astro-physical conditions on other planets, or of stars, nebulae, comets, is a fascinating field of study, but has nothing to do with the field of astrology, which is quite a seperate matter.

*emma*

Banned
*emma* you said

*emma* I DISAGREED WITH YOU AND SAID ON THE CONTRARY VENUS IS HOT

SO AS PREVIOUSLY POSTED - I SAID VENUS IS HOT AND I ALSO SAID PLUTO IS COLD :smile:

Yes, I know, I already said to you I got it wrong but reading back you may have read the sentence as you got it wrong as because I didnt use an *I* before *got it wrong*

:)

JUPITERASC

The ancient associations of planets with the humors, elements, tempers, etc is (and was) entirely symbolic in essence and had (and has) nothing whatsoever to do with astro-physical conditions on any of the planets, their atmospheres, etc etc
Therefore one may infer that any planet conjunct Sun being 'combust' aka 'burned up' or alternatively 'under the Sun's beams' has QUOTE: "nothing whatsoever to do with the astro-physical conditions of any of the planets, their atmospheres etc etc" and hence is merely an 'astrological' matter! :smile:
Of course the astro-physical conditions on other planets, or of stars, nebulae, comets, is a fascinating field of study.
Quite. Definitely fascinating
...but has nothing to do with the field of astrology, which is quite a seperate matter.

Certainly not currently. But that's not how astrology began. Ancient astrologers were all of necessity also astronomers...

Today, that situation has changed of course, as you have highlighted and in general, astrologers are not also astronomers.

One may infer therefore that Pluto, although most probably covered in ice is somehow symbolically hot and perhaps the Sun is - merely symbolically speaking of course - freezing cold.

dr. farr

Regarding combustion, JA is quite correct: the combust condition has nothing to do with any effect whatsoever of the Sun upon the planet in combustion or under its "beams"(note that a planet in combustion with the Sun is ONLY from the EARTH"S view of that planet): rather it DOES have to do with obscuring of the planet's visbility (to the naked eye) from the Earth's point of view, and perhaps also an "obscuring" or "absorbing" of the combust planet's "rays" (again only vis a vis the Earth) by the more powerful "rays" of the Sun (thereby blocking or modifying the combust planet's "influence" upon the Earth-on a subtle energy level-NOT upon an astrophysical-level)

JUPITERASC

dr. farr you have frequently mentioned that your studies relate to the hermetic levels of astrology :smile:

Therefore you agreed with a comment I made that the Sun although hot may be symbolically cold

BUT I made that comment in order to illustrate that to the 'man in the street' such an idea is nonsensical

To be clear then and in order to distinguish my opinion from your opinion, what I said is
:

To infer that Pluto - although most probably covered in ice and very cold due to its distance from the Sun - is nevertheless somehow symbolically hot is obviously a non sequitor

To believe that the Sun is - merely symbolically speaking of course - freezing cold is obviously another non sequitor

Regarding combustion.....the combust condition has nothing to do with any effect whatsoever of the Sun upon the planet in combustion or under its "beams"(note that a planet in combustion with the Sun is ONLY from the EARTH"S view of that planet):
Traditional astrology studies the idea of 'combustion' and is Geocentric.

i.e. either Geocentric Tropical and/or Geocentric Sidereal.

Therefore it is obvious that the notion of combustion is related ONLY from the EARTH'S view of that planet.

...rather it DOES have to do with obscuring of the planet's visbility (to the naked eye) from the Earth's point of view, and perhaps also an "obscuring" or "absorbing" of the combust planet's "rays" (again only vis a vis the Earth) by the more powerful "rays" of the Sun (thereby blocking or modifying the combust planet's "influence" upon the Earth-on a subtle energy level-NOT upon an astrophysical-level)
The idea that 'combustion' is un-related to 'burning' is one of the reasons many consider astrology a 'non-science'

i.e. BECAUSE of the contention that 'astrological combustion' has 'nothing whatsoever to do with' the Sun being HOT therefore, many consider astrology unscientific

Brief Word History Note re: the word 'combustion'

"...
Middle English, from Late Latin combusti, combustin-, from Latin combustus, past participle of combrere, to burn up, blend of com-, intensive pref.; see com- and ambrere, to burn around amb-, ambi-, ambi- + rere, to burn..."

Sun is HOT at the PHYSICAL level. Sun & Earth are connected at the physical level BECAUSE Earth orbits Sun AND Sun is HOT therefore HEAT of Sun is a factor when considering 'combustion' - BECAUSE 'sun has rays' due to heat/light.

Sun is HOT AT THE PHYSICAL LEVEL so Sun CANNOT symbolically be 'COLD' - that's a non sequitor, simply because physically the Sun is a source of HEAT and LIGHT

Pluto CANNOT reasonably be HOT

greybeard

Traditional astrology studies the idea of 'combustion' and is Geocentric.

i.e. either Geocentric Tropical and/or Geocentric Sidereal.

Therefore it is obvious that the notion of combustion is related ONLY from the EARTH'S view of that planet.

Geocentric....
The point of view that mankind holds of the solar system and the universe is necessarily geocentric. Astrology has throughput its long history been geocentric. And psychologically it makes sense, because the Earth becomes the symbol for the individual whose chart we study: the Earth is at the center of the horoscope.

It is an astronomical, and very literal, fact that the Earth is the center of the universe, and a man's life, his person, is also the center of HIS universe. There can be no other possible persepective.

Man is born on Earth, and is of earth; the horoscope that treats of this man and his destiny (which occurs on Earth) must perforce be geocentric.

Therefore, such things as retrogradation and combustion (both proceeding from this earth-centered viewpoint) are quite logical and significant because they reflect man's view of the heavens from his position at the center of the universe, his universe. Astrology is based on the apparent sky; it has to do with perceptions especially when applied to human nature.

I agree that all astrological symbolism must derive from the facts of celestial objects and points. I can't think of a single astrological text that says Pluto is hot. In relation to hot springs, however, it can be "hot" (that is, it can heat even though it is not of itself hot) tthrough its relationship to tectonic and similar forces. Pluto is the planet of "extremes," and this meaning flows out of its position within the solar system as well as facts about its other orbital properties. Therefore, anything that exhibits the quality of "extreme" can be ascribed to Pluto; this includes extreme pressures within the Earth's crust that cause it to heat, or fractures in that crust that allow the superheated magma access to the surface. If we accept the (generally accepted) meaning of Pluto as "refining, purification, crucibles"...it is the separation of the noble from the dross, a process requiring great heat in many of its most common forms.

I don't consider Pluto as a hot planet of itself, but the processes it engenders or has dominion over often involve extremes of heat.

Which is why I like Mars for hot springs, but think Pluto is not disqualified. Pluto has since its discovery been associated with vulcanism and its correlates.

And astrology is NOT "wholly scientific." It is essentially the study of symbolism, of analogy and metaphor. And that can never be scientific. Its foundation is strictly scientific; its means of application is not, nor can it be. Nor, God forbid, should it be.

Science has not and never will be able to "define" a human being. It cannot because it is separative, atomistic, must of necessity isolate parts. Human beings are not susceptible of scientific "definition." They are highly complex and fluid beings, capable of change according to time, place, situation, and whether or not they ate pizza an hour ago.

Pluto can be all-consuming -- he rules such things as obsession/compulsion, fanatical beliefs, extreme radicalism -- and although many types of energy can consume, none does so better that the heat of the fire. The thermonuclear reactions are ruled by Pluto, and they produce more heat than the Sun within their limited range.

If Pluto is "transformation" then he rules the conversion of hydrogen into helium within stars such as our own sun, where the hydrogen is destroyed and ceases to exist, but is reborn as helium...and heat. Maxwell's Laws of Thermodynamics seem to me to make clear that any change of state or form (on whatever level, of whatever type) result in an "exhange" of energy [heat...thermodynamics] and that is precisely what Pluto rules astrologically: changes of state or form, i.e., transformation.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Just a note: extreme cold can "burn" living flesh (eg, "frostbite") just as fire can burn it: dry ice can dessicate living tissue as well: there is ultimately a unity behind all of the elements, and that unity is the 5th element (essential in Vedic, Hermetic, Platonic and Pythagorean metaphysics) known as "ether" (interesting that the Tibetans refer to this 5th element as "space"!)

JUPITERASC

Just a note: extreme cold can "burn" living flesh (eg, "frostbite")just as fire can burn it: dry ice can dessicate living tissue as well:...
Nevertheless 'frostbite' is caused by extreme COLD unlike 'burn' associated with 'sunburn' which is caused by HEAT

The descriptions are entirely different one is the 'bite' of 'frostbite' and the other the 'burn' of 'sunburn'
.... there is ultimately a unity behind all of the elements, and that unity is the 5th element (essential in Vedic, Hermetic, Platonic and Pythagorean metaphysics) known as "ether" (interesting that the Tibetans refer to this 5th element as "space"!)
Interesting also that no matter how long you wait by a pile of wood placed on e.g. solid snow or ice it shall NOT burn :smile:

Whereas the HEAT from the HOT SUN causes dried grasses and dead shrubs to ignite spontaneously and BURN - obviously then spreading and igniting entire landscapes including trees

Another cause of fire includes that caused by lightning striking tinder dry wood - lightning is linked to Jupiter