what is the concept of modern astrology?

katydid

I am not sure I understand the question.

If you want to know the major difference between Traditional and Modern, then I might say it has to do with the addition of, and delineation of, the planets past Saturn.

SteveGus

Modern astrology tends to be psychological; classical astrology tends to be more predictive.

Modern astrology is 'sign centered'. A modern delineation of a chart will begin with 'your Sun is in Taurus; this means.... your Moon is in Libra, which means...." This enables modern astrologers to do a lot of interpretation without knowing the ascendant.

Traditional astrology is 'planet centered'. A lot of the things that the signs do in modern astrology are things that planets do in traditional. The first or second thing a traditional astrologer will do is to determine which planets are strongly placed in a chart, and which are weak. This is done by systems of 'essential' and 'accidental dignities'. In traditional, one of the chief functions of signs is to determine which planets rule which houses. Rather than saying 'the Moon is in Capricorn', they will say 'the Moon is in the tenth house, whose cusp is in Sagittarius'; therefore the relationship between Jupiter and the Moon is at least as important as the relationship between Saturn and the Moon.

Modern astrologers often assign sign rulerships to Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto. Traditional astrologers do not, and some pay those planets no attention at all. (I'll use them, but consider them more like fixed stars, given that their movements define generations rather than daily events.)