What is your mars like and how assertive are you?

tenacapcious

Mars Sag/2, conj. Sun Cap/3. A "bit" OTT. A softer sell should be a goal of mine. Often seems to push for something other than what I really want. I'm not very fixed in my assertiveness because I can become distracted and lose interest or randomly change objective. I don't really understand myself well enough to explain this.

My oldest son compared me to a guy who when fighting for something, even something I'm passionate about, will go into battle and throw my shield and spear at whoever/whatever opposes me. Then I'll have nothing left to fight with for what I want, *stomp off!* "okay; fine!" and go do something stupid that now creates a "situation" and I still didn't get what I want.

He's disturbingly observative.:eek:

Even though I have no aspect between Mercury and Mars, I say the damnest things when I'm upset, frustrated or stressed. Mercury trine Jupiter. As you all know, Jupiter rules Sag, so maybe that aspect functions like Mercury/Mars in Sag aspect?!

I can really, really want something and not be able to stop thinking and talking about it, but (and I'm not proud of this) when I get *that* I want another one or something else or something else would make it better and all the options of them together!:w00t:

Since I recall a time where I was more reflective, easier to please with no expectations and generally more careful with my words, I wonder if something in my natal chart was holding the expression of my Mars back before? When and why did that change? That's obviously something I should look into. But I'm already trying to do too many things.

Oh, someone with Mars in Gemini said they get mixed up in forums quite frequently - I tend to shy away from conflicts online. I don't instigate conflict offline/irl but face-to-face I'm NOT quiet and won't easily back down!

Abby83

Mars Sag/2, conj. Sun Cap/3. A "bit" OTT. A softer sell should be a goal of mine. Often seems to push for something other than what I really want. I'm not very fixed in my assertiveness because I can become distracted and lose interest or randomly change objective. I don't really understand myself well enough to explain this.

My oldest son compared me to a guy who when fighting for something, even something I'm passionate about, will go into battle and throw my shield and spear at whoever/whatever opposes me. Then I'll have nothing left to fight with for what I want, *stomp off!* "okay; fine!" and go do something stupid that now creates a "situation" and I still didn't get what I want.

He's disturbingly observative.:eek:

Even though I have no aspect between Mercury and Mars, I say the damnest things when I'm upset, frustrated or stressed. Mercury trine Jupiter. As you all know, Jupiter rules Sag, so maybe that aspect functions like Mercury/Mars in Sag aspect?!

I can really, really want something and not be able to stop thinking and talking about it, but (and I'm not proud of this) when I get *that* I want another one or something else or something else would make it better and all the options of them together!:w00t:

Since I recall a time where I was more reflective, easier to please with no expectations and generally more careful with my words, I wonder if something in my natal chart was holding the expression of my Mars back before? When and why did that change? That's obviously something I should look into. But I'm already trying to do too many things.

Oh, someone with Mars in Gemini said they get mixed up in forums quite frequently - I tend to shy away from conflicts online. I don't instigate conflict offline/irl but face-to-face I'm NOT quiet and won't easily back down!

Omg this is my mother in law to a t. She has mars conjunct sun in Pisces.

renaen591

Mars in gemini, I love debating for fun. But my moon is in gemini also so I find conflict makes me wanna run away and hide haha. Also, if I go after something aggressively and get rejected, I take it too personally.

pisceandreamer

I'm rather new to interpreting things so bear with me...my Mars (and Venus) are both 19 degrees in Cancer in the 5th...and I have a grand water trine...so...I feel my assertiveness comes from the Sagittarius I have in my chart...midheaven and in black moon Lilith. I will fight to great extreme for what is right and if I'm crossed.

Andrea_

Mars in Capricorn in the 1st, conj. Asc, Merc, Neptune. Sextiles Saturn in the 2nd.

Not sure if assertive by nature, but I have a great deal of energy. I like respect. I notice people want to be led oftentimes, for some reason, and will sometimes look up to me.

I notice it but I usually don't play that role. I believe in making people independent while maintaining respect through concepts and "superiority of thoughts" rather than telling them what to do. If what I say falls in place and helps them, that's great.

I am very combative though and I will protect what I believe in. It's pretty spiritually/natural linked and time is modifying it accordingly, so I'm not worried about the "correctitude" of what I feel or if it's real or not. These are things one should solve by the time they get past 22 (age). I just instinctively know what sort of things are off and can track back their origins (Sun Jupiter in the 12th of Sagi). This is literally the secret of "interpreting the future". You track the conflicts and trends of present times and judge whether they are being solved or worsened while leaving enough room for "change" or interpretation.

Last edited:

Abby83

Now that I look back, all the ppl I knew with harmonious aspects to mars had no problem or opposition asserting themselves. In my chart I have a few squares to my mars. Those planets squaring mars represent ppl in my life. The problem I find is not in being able to assert myself. Its that those ppl choose not to respect any of my needs and choose to oppose me. That's the difference I find. Its not so much that there is anything wrong with my style. Its more that those ppl are opposed me for their own personal reasons and choose not to respect me. So I find my mars has to isolate itself quite abit. Far away from those disrespectful ppl. My mars has one harmonious aspect to my 3rd ruler. I find my brother and cousins have a high level of respect for me and in fact they idolise me. So its just how it happens to be. It doesn't help that mars is in Virgo with these squares cos it adds a lot of stress. Like I said, as a result, I really have to keep away from them and protect myself.

Abby83

And as an example of what I mean by ppl choosing not to respect my mars. With those in laws if I assert myself they just don't care. They don't care about any consequence or ultimatum. They don't even care when my HB does it. However, my 6 year old son would use his mars in the same way as me, yet those in laws listen to him. Why? Because they actually care about him and care about whether he likes them or not. So again, it may not be how you assert yourself, but a lot to do with whether those ppl give a sh*t about u. If its the latter, then it's best to walk away and be with other ppl.

Tutu

I'm an Aries rising and my mars is in gemini squaring saturn in virgo. I feel that square very strongly in the sense that I want to go into things forcefully and quickly, but saturn limits that expression and frustrates me, forcing me to be more thorough and structured. Given that my mars is in gemini, I assert myself better when communicating an idea and I tend to enjoy debates where I can prove that my ideas are better. But I am not as assertive in normal daily life.

Idrew

Mars in Pisces opposition both my Sun and Jupiter conjunction and trine my moon in Scorpio. I can be very assertive when the need be. Also very impatient with a touch of combative temper when provoked. Other than that a really nice guy :)

chiamaria

Mars in Capricorn very loosely conjunct Neptune in 4th. This placement is one of my biggest prides in my chart.

I can't say that I'm overly ambitious (nor do I wish to be to be honest) nor am I intimidating, it's just that I can work long hours non-stop and push out quality work while others may have an hourly coffee/smoke break. My sister who's also a Cappie Mars is the same. I'm able to stand up for myself when I'm hard done by and I won't allow anyone to walk all over me ever. Also, I never get sucked in by sales-speak. That being said, I am easy to work with and never boss people around. I wouldn't say I'm particularly assertive, I'm actually even a bit passive. I'm only assertive when I feel I'm being sc r ewe d over.

Due to my small size and meek appearance, I've had a person or two assess me and evidently conclude that I was a pushover. They were even a bit condescending towards me and thought they could coerce me into making a hasty decision (for their benefit of course) via fear mongering and manipulation.

BOY. WERE. THEY. WRONG.

Last edited:

LovelyMissAries

I have Mars in Gemini in the 12th house. I'm not very good at being direct, but I will get my point across very clearly (and usually angrily) if I'm pushed to. Someone somewhere once said you have to have your wits about you for Mars in 12th house people and I find that to be true. I am way more comfortable with Water people for this reason because they can sense what I can't express very well.

corvidcatharsis

If in everyday life, not assertive at all. Taurus peacefulness shows thorough. Don't wish to bother with trivialities so no reaction. Can be mis-interpreted by others as passiveness but its really just laziness and conservation of energy.

Def. slow to get started. Learned how to "trick" myself to get myself to do things I don't want to do.

Summary: taurus mars = seem passive, really a boulder, nuclear if over-pushed.

I also have Mars in Taurus. I seem very unassertive but I do push back when other people have been misusing me too much.

My Mars is in conjunction with Mercury.

wan

I'm an Aries rising and my mars is in gemini squaring saturn in virgo. I feel that square very strongly in the sense that I want to go into things forcefully and quickly, but saturn limits that expression and frustrates me, forcing me to be more thorough and structured. Given that my mars is in gemini, I assert myself better when communicating an idea and I tend to enjoy debates where I can prove that my ideas are better. But I am not as assertive in normal daily life.

Do you mind telling us how exact the square between your Mars and Saturn is? I have a very similar placement as you do, with Mars in Gemini and Saturn in Virgo, however in my case they do not form a square by degree, only by sign. They are too far apart.

I feel that a Mars-Saturn square can really make things difficult for the native. Has this been your experience?

mars in pisces square pluto... needless to say, i have a VERY hard time asserting myself and my libra rising doesn’t help, and i have been realizing lately that i channel my bottled up anger at myself which in the past has resulted in very self destructive tendencies.

Domna

Mars in Cancer in the 9th, tightly conjunct MC and Mercury. Aspects galore... Square Libra Asc, opposite Neptune, sextile Virgo Moon, trine Pluto, square North Node. All tight aspects, at most a 3 degree orb. Through my Aries Descendant, Mars is the ruler of my 7th house. North Node, Vertex and Jupiter are also in Aries.

Being assertive is something I'm trying to learn and struggling a fair bit with. I am assertive only when it comes to voicing my opinions and defending my values, otherwise I tend to yield. I abhor confrontation, so even when voicing an opinion I'm very open to compromise. There are some values that I'll stand up for until my dying day though.

I'll take the lead only if I'm clearly more competent than others at the task in question. Usually when I take the lead it is a practical matter or something that takes organization skills to sort through. I'm always happier if I can yield leadership to someone else though. In particular areas of expertise I can be unyieldingly assertive though... nobody puts baby in a corner when I'm the expert in the room.

I might be more assertive in presence than in personality... I am very self-confident despite my lack of assertion. I do what I enjoy without care for what other people think, dress how I like (fairly eccentric), am bold about who I am in general. Open to the point of bluntness about my identity... I just don't generally care to assert myself over anyone else.

Last edited:

Cary2

Banned
I'm not going to discuss my chart with strangers, especially astrologers at a forum online, but I am here to discuss astrology, and here we are discussing Mars and assertiveness.

Mars is most assertive with significant Mars/Uranus contacts followed by Mars/Pluto. Mars/Pluto is more intense, but more reserved. Mars/Uranus is not reserved.

Mars conjunct Asc., MC, Desc., IC or aspecting the midpoint of any of these is assertive. They will respond in kind to aggression, or they may be aggressors. Of course, they can be other things like sportsmen or activists or engineers or leaders. Mars trine these points doesn't generally pick a fight, but look out, they don't back down, and they aren't inclined to lose a fight. If you are a jerk or a bully, you'd better find another victim.

Last edited:
Thank you for this thread! It is actually exactly why I just joined this community.

Scorpio sun / Aries moon, with Mars in Capricorn (exalted) exactly conjunct sun-moon midpoint, in the 8th. Sextile to Saturn in Scorpio, forming a yod with my ascendant. I know many astrologers do not consider the ascendant as part of a yod... I'm interested to know anyone's thoughts on this.

I have Venus exactly opposite my Ascendant. I do feel like this configuration plays out as a major theme/lesson in my life. Asc-Venus opposition makes me want to "play nice" with everyone, don't make any waves, always put on a smile, etc. But I feel like my Mars is pretty fierce but somewhat repressed. I'm super intense (Scorpio stellium) and people feel it when I enter the room. I can just feel everyone sort of tense up and it has caused me to compensate and go all meek and mild, show how harmless I am (or am I? :devil:) which is rather easy with my Venus. But it does nothing to actually negate the simmering beneath the surface. I feel like I'm constantly trying to negotiate that balance but it never comes out quite right. If I'm assertive at all, it usually comes across as aggressive, even though I'm consciously trying to be calmly/kindly assertive.

That was a bit of a ramble! I'd greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts. Anyone have similar stuff happening?

Hkk

Account Closed
I have Mars in Capricorn Sun. I have libra asc.

I feel more comfortable showing my anger around immediate family that I live with as opposed to the ‘outside world’. Well ppl that I’m really comfortable around. Unless somethings simmering inside then it blows up leo moon style. But yeah my Mars in cap - organised at home with all the family affairs etc. Fiery kind a lady however unless you get to know me you would think I’m timid or placid.

Pluto first house squares Mars - still not quite sure how or what that’s all about.

Does anyone else have the same type of thing going on?