Top 10 Don'ts in Astrology

EJ53

Banned
Don't express your opinion as if it was a fact..........and don't assume that those who disagree with your view do not understand it.

Seymour

Don't get so caught up in your transits/progressions/solar arcs/returns that you forget how to live your life.

I have seen some of my friends almost become 'paralyzed' by all of the astrological data they live by. Sometimes a little goes a long way. Obviously it is nice to keep an eye on the outer planets as they dance their way around your houses. But it may be too much information to know exactly where mercury and the moon are each and every day. :whistling:

I was going to say the exact same thing when I first saw this topic :pouty:
That's what I've ever tought about it, being too caught up is dangerous because you might find yourself that YOU don't decide for your life but you let ASTROLOGY do it

smilingsteph

Dont ask questions if you are not willing to provide feedback to the interpretations
Especially horary questions!
We spend a lot of time looking and reading into charts. If you are just going to ask a question, then be prepared to have a dialogue with those that are helping you.

Last edited:

beatnikgirl

Big Don't for me is:
Do not read too far in advance for yourself or others, especially when in say 6 years you know a difficult transit is coming up, if you read too far ahead this may totally change how you react over the next five years it may stop you learning some of the important life changing experiences you need to go through in order to cope with those difficulties coming your way, if you do a reading for someone this far ahead I think the best thing you can is advise on how to make sure they learn some helpful coping mechanism for when they do have to cope with that transit.
For instance if you saw someone suffering with a difficult illness that could be life threatening in the future, tell them that it would be advisable for them to make some life changes to increase their health, and get out and enjoy exercising, to work on their body and soul and enjoy the company of their friends. So when that difficult transit comes along they will perhaps be able to overcome the health issues easier, will have a good network of friends to help them through it.
Or if you saw someone was going to have problems with employment or relationships, get them to work hard on their self confidence and personal security, so if that again they can cope better and are not as damaged when these things occur.
I myself began to read too far ahead in my chart and saw so many problems ahead in the coming years, I got depressed despondent it was almost a self fulfilling prophecy that I would suffer depression and this would effect my relationship. Somethings need to be held back until that person has reached a level where they are ready to cope with their problems and are adequetly equipped to learn from them but not irrecoverably damaged as a soul.
This is something I've personally gone through recently and think is one of the most important of the do's and don'ts of astrology, I think some people get off on the whole power thing of being an astrologer, like they have secret knowledge and they can change someones life, play god.
I personally have always seen astrology as a way of counseling people acting as a sort of life couch come therapist. Maybe that's because I have Aquarius/Pisces in the first house, I like to give people the freedom to develop themselves make any necessary changes to achieve their life goals and to support them with those changes they are finding challenging.

Last edited:

AquaScorpio

Don't rely on scientists' word on "disproving" astrology simply because it cannot be tested (define tested?)-The burden of proof, a simple term scientifically, or for anyone testing a certain subject, is on the person trying to prove or disprove something. Scientists like to say astrology is not real (not ALL scientists by the way!) without consulting REAL astrologers and by saying such experts cannot prove it to be true. But what they forget is that it's THEIR job to figure it out and that jus because a majority of the population base their opinions of astrology off of sun signs only doesn't mean that's the way to go. By god, some scientists don't deserve such a label. They're probably christians (no offense to anybody)

Mercury

Banned
Do not make things up.

Do not make up astrological rules such as Mercury is in fall in LEO?? Not Pisces.

please refer to Bennefranco and Tennis sports predictions 2nd page.

Some body needs to clean this mess out of astrology it is a BIG BIG DONT:rightful:

aquarius7000

Re: Do not make things up.

Do not make up astrological rules such as Mercury is in fall in LEO?? Not Pisces.
please refer to Bennefranco and Tennis sports predictions 2nd page.
Some body needs to clean this mess out of astrology it is a BIG BIG DONT
Sorry, but simply going by the above text (as I haven't yet read the mentioned thread), I don't take this as a 'DON'T' at all, for two reasons:

1) Tradtionally Mercury is both in dignity (besides in Gemini) and exaltation in Virgo, which puts it in both detriment and fall in Pisces. However, as per most modern-school astrologers, Mercury is said to be in exaltation in Aquarius:)D), which puts it in fall in the opposite sign of Leo. Now, one can, as has often been the case on this forum, start a debate out re traditional vs modern, which often ends in a stalemate.

2) This forum is for people of all astrological levels and welcomes opinions/knowledge, which will not always be 'by the book'. The aim is to come here and learn, ask plus answer questions, have a healthy astrological dialogue and share your experiences.

So, a BIG DON'T is that, whilst you may make your own point or even debate one that has been made by someone else, DO NOT be judgemental towards others or of their point of view.

:)AQ7

eviltwin

Keep in mind that an interpretation is an interpretation!

Don't focus on it so much that you try to make your life fit the interpretation that you read in your chart. Because the same chart, another astrologer will read and interpret differently!

Inside Out Orange

I always believed the biggest don't is Don't predict death.

On a related notes there are transits where you do tell someone to be careful about their health or sudden accidents and those are grey area ...

Claire19

Good thread title, I like it as well...

I can't figure out 10 such don'ts. Instead, I'm going to rely on your help to find them!

I start:

When talking to an astrologer friend, never try to convince him/her about anything by bringing up your natal chart details, such as "I say this because my rising sign is Sagittarius and that means that I like fair play". It never works, only generates a reply like "Yes, but me too, I have..." and then you feel sorry you brought that up.

Ok, your turn!
Well Sagittarius rising doesn't indicate fair play as such, that belongs to Libra.

The ruling planet and its aspects determine the persona or the personality that is presented especially at first.

Yes it is a common thing to quote your chart for the way you are when really the way you are is the chart, not the other way around.

Ebenia

Do not blame planets for your life situation.

Planets do not cause anything in your life - they just show what is going on.

Chart does not do anything on it's own - you have to do your own share.

Claire19

Good one, thank you EJ! It's so easy to slip into that kind of reasoning: this always HAPPENS TO ME, because I have this or that in my birth chart. How lame!
Dont worry. I did that when I first began..... and it is valid to a point but we need to watch becoming victims or feeling powerless.....What we do with our aspects is largely up to us and our level of evolvement. The hard ones are the most valuable as they promote growth and strength.

Claire19

I always believed the biggest don't is Don't predict death.

On a related notes there are transits where you do tell someone to be careful about their health or sudden accidents and those are grey area ...
I totally agree and we cant always be absolutely certain of it as there are many scenarios and the flowing aspects can also indicate demise. It is immoral and unethical to mention this subject and even if hard pressed by a client would avoid it.

Giving warnings of tricky aspects is the way to go. Some things can be avoided and some are fated....

Claire19

Keep in mind that an interpretation is an interpretation!

Don't focus on it so much that you try to make your life fit the interpretation that you read in your chart. Because the same chart, another astrologer will read and interpret differently!
Yes this is common. But a good astrologer will agree largely with another good astrologer as to the trends....we all have our own way of looking at a chart but the basic principles remain the same.

Never think that the Planets are your enemies and that they want to hurt you. Remember to dance with the music of the spheres and with your willpower and determination let their influence in your life be as much as positive. In other words, don't be a fatalist!

This is my "don't in Astrology'...