Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Other Astrology > Sports Astrology

Sports Astrology This is the place to share ASTROLOGICAL TECHNIQUES FOR DOING SPORTS PREDICTIONS. It is NOT the place to ask for betting advice. People posting sports betting predictions requests (e.g., "Who will win X game?" WILL HAVE THEIR POSTS REMOVED. Astrologers posting answers WITHOUT using astrology (e.g., "X will win Y game" WITHOUUT giving the astrology behind it WILL HAVE THEIR POSTS REMOVED. SHARE your sports astrological methods and techniques and DISCUSS the best ways to ASTROLOGICALLY predict sports.

Unread 11-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Timing data for every pitch (MLB)

Hello,

I have something I have been considering making public and would like to know if anyone is interested.

I have been collecting event times for every event in major league baseball for five years (its a lot of data!). That means I have the time of every pitch of (almost) every game for the past five years. And the play by play of each pitch. And the running score. Includes the game venue with longitude and latitude. Even the weather conditions. And because the influence of umpires can change the outcome of a game, the names of umpires for each game is also recorded.

The main use of this data is to research the astrological influences of each players performance over time so that you can develop better insights into their future performance. With exact timing you can see their cycles of low and peak performance during a game and find what astrological conditions each player is most influenced by. This is especially true for watching the transiting angles during a game - you can see exactly what degree (or planet) is rising or culminating at the moment of a home run, or a strike out, etc. You can see when a players most supportive (or difficult) natal planet is on the transiting angles at the moment of any event during the game. It also allows accurate timings for the transiting moon to a players birth chart. It is pretty cool stuff.

I just wonder if anyone is interested because it is raw data in xml or csv format - to see the data visually you would need to load the data into a spreadsheet (or other data analysis program) and draw some graphs.

Just reply to the is post if this kind of data is interesting to you.

Have a great day!

Last edited by Ubiquity; 11-10-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Unread 11-10-2009, 04:08 AM

Re: Timing data for every pitch (MLB)

that's a ton of data, for sure! you must have learned a lot about astrology and how it works by doing all of that research! What were some of your more significant findings?
The only astrologer i would refer you to is Courtney @ courtneyrobertshome.com. she did some similar research in baseball and has a ton of data herself. I don't know what either of you will ever do with all of that data, but it seems like there should be a book in there somewhere.

Why did you conduct such exhaustive research, and how do you apply the knowledge of astrology that you have gained?
Unread 11-10-2009, 05:07 AM

Smile Re: Timing data for every pitch (MLB)

Hi Shawn,

Yes, I know of Courtney's research. She is among the best I have seen for sports astrology. I have been studying and working with astrology for many years and first got into baseball when I was working at Electronic Arts on a computer game called 'Triple Play Baseball' (I did games programming for several years).

The amount of stats people keep for baseball, plus the huge number of games in a season got me thinking it would be one of the best sports to follow astrologically. So I started collecting data with the idea of eventually developing a program to analyze it using Astrological techniques, and then combine that analysis with sabermetrics.

I did build a program to do this but it was just a quick hack and not at all complete or user friendly (except for me!). Very interesting stuff - I do not want to give out all my secrets (just yet), but I can say for sure that the transiting angles and moon are really strong influences in on the players in a game. A player's natal planets conjunct the transiting angles is also very powerful. This is from real time stuff, not game start or ending charts, not horary or any other derivative system.

I was initially going to use it as part of a sports betting system but I just got too busy with other projects and never got this to where I initially intended. Maybe one day...

Last edited by Ubiquity; 11-10-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Unread 11-10-2009, 06:27 AM

Hey Ubiquity.
It would sure be fun to have access to that data but you seem a bit ambivalent about releasing it.
Which is fine.
The most straightforward thing is to draw some statistical correlations and publish your results in a journal. Or to use it for betting, as you mentioned.

Alternatively, maybe you want to provide the information via the internet in distilled form so fantasy baseball players can make more informed decisions? Nowadays it seems like every major sports website has a section where they predict who's going to win upcoming games, but specifically geared towards fantasy players. (I.e. which player is likely to have a good or bad day.) I'm sure there's a market for that if it's something that you're interested in.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do,
Matthew
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM

a computer program like you mentioned is definitely an ambitious project and i am sure there are large possibilities for marketing such a thing, but there are also lots of problems with this idea too, as you well know.
I have visited with Courtney recently and she is interested in developing some sort of sports information service that would utilize astrological data and opinions, geared toward sports bettors or fantasy players. this would be a huge undertaking, as you can imagine.
This is the second NFL season that i have been utilizing her "real time" methods for forecasting winners, and i am getting better at it as i post my opinions on the NFL predictions thread in the Greenhorn Lounge. I am not a horary astrologer, but there is one who goes by Lion King who is the best i have ever known, who also posts there. He was correct on 11 of 13 this weekend!
It seems to me that there ought to be a way to combine all of this talent and knowledge into something practical, but so far, these are just ideas.
Unread 11-10-2009, 01:11 PM

When you say you have the time for these various events, do you mean the actual clock time, or time measured on a game clock? The former might be of value, the latter, not.

I would be concerned with information overload. Sure, you could come up with charts for all the players, coaches, teams, pitches, hits, foul balls, etc., etc. But working that into a usable system would be a gigantic undertaking. There are so many variables in astrology that I'm not sure it could even be done.

I have been working for the past several months on a system first proposed by Sophia Mason many years ago using diurnal charts. The system as presented by her in her book on diurnals doesn't work, but with appropriate modifications it offers real promise. What I have been doing just recently is to investigate ways to simplify the method, to eliminate things that have little effect on the outcome of the game.

The point I'm trying to make is that having a huge mass of data probably isn't going to yield a usable system. I'm afraid you would drown in the data.

Like you, I am interested in sports for betting purposes. Perhaps we should put our heads together.

Bob
Unread 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Hi Bob,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletbobb View Post
When you say you have the time for these various events, do you mean the actual clock time, or time measured on a game clock? The former might be of value, the latter, not.
Why do you say a game clock time has no value? What is the difference between a game clock and a real clock? I did not use a game clock - I used real-time feeds from the internet. Well, almost real-time. I watched many of the games on TV and watched the data feeds at the same time and there was a delay of just a minute or two on average (yes, I know TV feeds can also be delayed; but I can't personally be at every game recording the exact second so I think it is the best that can be done with modern technology). This level of timing is pretty good as the rising degree only changes (on average) every four minutes. I just adjust the time by the average delay and, in my experience, it is close enough for really good astrological analysis. But, for even greater accuracy, maybe I could find someone with six planets in Virgo and get them to rectify the data!

Quote:
I would be concerned with information overload. Sure, you could come up with charts for all the players, coaches, teams, pitches, hits, foul balls, etc., etc. But working that into a usable system would be a gigantic undertaking. There are so many variables in astrology that I'm not sure it could even be done.
The point of huge data sets is not to swim around in it - you will just drown. It does require the proper software to manage it. Then you can look for patterns (trends, synchronicities, etc). You can also use data mining techniques to extract the specific data you need for a specific event - baseball or astrological.

So if you just watched a game and your favorite hitter smacks it out of the park, you can then check the sky for the current influences and then check the historical data to see the conditions for ALL the home runs for that player.

You could also look for all the baseball events that happen when Mars transits the angles. Or find all the players that have the Moon aspecting their natal Jupiter during a game and then isolate the corresponding game events.

With the right software you can pick and choose what to look at. Drowning in data is not a concern.

Ubiquity

Last edited by Ubiquity; 11-10-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:43 PM

ubiquity, you are getting me excited by all of the possibilities of such a program to do all of the tricks you mentioned. The possibilities seem endless.I am sure that the amount of time and effort and talent it would take to build such a program would be endless too! I believe that courtney worked with a programmer for awhile, but the project bogged down, i guess.
I would love to know what sorts of things you can do with your current program that may have a practical value to sports bettors and fantasy players?
Unread 11-10-2009, 11:58 PM

Shawn,
Yes, it is exciting stuff - and a lot of work. The program I have now is not useful to anyone but me - it is not user friendly. It was just a hack for me as a programmer to use. When ever I want something new I need to modify the code rather than change some user interface option. So it would take some time to create a program to do all these things, but it would be pretty awesome!

I wish I had the time to develop such program (maybe in the near future I will). Working for a living just gets in the way of living!

Ubiquity
Unread 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM

I was thinking of a game clock as in basketball, where the game is, I believe, 48 minutes long. By a real-time clock that about 2-2.5 hours.
I guess baseball doesn't have a game clock, now that I think about it.
But if you timed everything then that's OK.

I'm not sure that a system based on when a player hits a home run would work. It would if there was some unique astrological signature for a home run, but I'll bet there isn't. The cosmos doesn't know anything about home runs or touchdowns, but it does know about excitement and emotion. Trouble is, I suspect there are many things in a game that are just as exciting as a run, and how would you tell them apart? A run when the score is 10-1 might not even show up, whereas the same run in a 1-1 game might show up strongly.

But I am sure something could be done, if you have the time and inclination to do it. Would take some serious thinking to formulate an angle of attack on the problem. Time! That is the problem.

BTW, I have an NBA database, with game times, back to 1980. About 50,000 games. Could be some good research done with that, too. When I get the time to look into it.

Regards,

Bob
Unread 11-11-2009, 01:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure that a system based on when a player hits a home run would work. It would if there was some unique astrological signature for a home run, but I'll bet there isn't. The cosmos doesn't know anything about home runs or touchdowns, but it does know about excitement and emotion. Trouble is, I suspect there are many things in a game that are just as exciting as a run, and how would you tell them apart? A run when the score is 10-1 might not even show up, whereas the same run in a 1-1 game might show up strongly.
I agree. I am not saying it is about home runs - that's just an example. I don't think home runs (or any single event) has a specific astrological signifier; the idea is to look for cycles of high performance (such as home runs) and look for patterns that synchronize between the game events and the astrological factors. The historical data would show such a trend and show what astrological factors support 'being in the grove' and performing at a peak level for that specific player. You can only see such patterns with historical data.

So just to be clear - when I watch a game and see a player hit a home run, I check the astrological influences to see how it corresponds with the players performance - NOT to see if there is a home run configuration in the sky.

You could use any kind of positive game events for this, not just home runs. And conversely you could also map out the times when a player is under performing and see what astrological factors are in effect at those times.

Taking it to another level, you can look off the field and check the news to see if the player you are interested in has been arrested for drugs or drinking and driving, or if he is getting a divorce, or has money problems, etc. This is not about prying into their lives like the tabloids, it is to use this information to see how the astrological factors are playing out in their chart. This can effect their game.

Quote:
BTW, I have an NBA database, with game times, back to 1980. About 50,000 games. Could be some good research done with that, too. When I get the time to look into it.
Awesome! Maybe when I get some time to create a program we could collaborate.

Ubiquity
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:00 AM

I have learned more about how astrology works in our everyday lives by following the horoscopes of the coaches and quarterbacks in the NFL, than I ever learned in a "how to" book, but i wonder if a "how to bet sports with astrology" book would be a benefit? I save all of my game charts too, but i seldom refer back to them after a week or two.

There's no question that it is the angular influences that we feel the most directly in our everyday lives. This is easily verified if you bother to look at diurnal motion. Certain planetary aspects are foolish to bet against, even if it's Josh Freeman getting his first NFL start and win for the lowly Buccaneers. When you can see in advance that his Natal Sun will be well aspected and culminating at the end of the game, like it did last week versus the Packers, it would be unwise to bet against him when he has virtually the same configuration occurring the next week against the Dolphins.
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:09 PM

U:

This is irrelevant now, based on your comments, but I was thinking last night that even if you could identify some kind of a run indicator in baseball it wouldn't have any predictive value because you'd have no way to know if the team was at bat when the indicator appeared. Franco, some months ago, did some work along those lines in soccer, and was apparently able to predict, with some accuracy, when goals would be scored in that game. The difference is that in soccer the game switches constantly between offense and defence, so the team would have an opportunity to capitalize on the configuration. Might even be possible in football, since the defence does sometimes score points. Doesn't work in basketball because the scoring is so frequent.

Your idea, of relating run indicators to player preformance, would be more relevant to what Shawn in doing than it would to my approach, which is to look at the team as a whole.

The problem I have with Shawn's approach (or Roberts) is that I cannot see the logic of looking at all these charts for players, coaches, batboys,
beer sellers, etc., when what we're really interested in is which team will win the game. Now, if you're an avid sports fan, then the Roberts approach has the big advantage of allowing you to look inside the head of the QB and the coach to see what's going on at game time. To a fan that would be alot of fun. But if your primary interest is in which team will win (or cover the spread), then why bother with all these extra charts? If you're interested in the preformance of the team, then use a chart for the team and be done with all the other charts.

Regards,

Bob
Unread 11-11-2009, 02:16 PM

hi bob,
as you know, i am very interested in knowing which team will win the game and i am having better success with my current methods than i ever had with horary techniques. trying to get an accurate "team chart" seems a little dubious to my way of thinking, but one can only learn thru trial and error.

Ideally, we could figure out a way to pool our astrological resources and confer on which teams we are liking to win. if 2 or 3 of us have the same opinion, based on different methods, then i think that would give us an edge against the book.
Unread 11-11-2009, 03:09 PM

Shawn:

Getting an accurate team chart is easy. You just use a chart for the first game or first win of the season. Both of these work very well indeed. When we talked on the phone I was using FW charts because I had been told that FG charts don't work very well. But for various reasons I decided to look at FG charts using my methods and I find that they work as well as the FW charts.

The trouble with these charts is that you have a new chart every year. The advantage is that because most of the teams have the same planetary aspects you quickly build up an idea of how the placements are going to work. With the true birth chart of the team you would have to work these things out on a team by team basis.

Here's a job for Ubiquitous: Get a copy of Brady's Jigsaw program and use it with my 30-year database of basketball games to rectify the true chart of the team. Should be doable.

(Any body out there have a copy of Jigsaw?)

As for our putting our heads together, great idea, except I'm working on the NBA. There aren't enough games in the NFL to make any money betting on them, unless you're willing to bet really serious money. I don't know if Robert's method would work on the NBA, as a practical matter, if it takes 10-15 miinutes per game to do a workup. I've got it down to about 5 now, not counting putting the charts up, keeping records, etc.

Almost looks like they almost dissed U on the 'other' board!

Regards,

Bob
Unread 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM

the goal of the NFL thread is to flesh out the people who are using all types of methods to pick winners already, and having them share their insights for the benefit of us all. I am only interested in those who have something valuable to contribute to the discussion of which teams we should be backing now.
I like the NBA too, but it would better for me to concentrate on one league at a time, and that is why i am not betting on college football or anything else right now. I think basketball may require even more work than football because most teams have 2 or 3 guys who can win a game for them, along with their coach's horoscope to keep track of, but it could be done in a similar way as i do now, with a few adjustments. I may switch over later this winter, you never know.
I must admit that i don't really "get" why a team's horoscope for their first win of the year would be valid all season long, but i am not necessarily knocking it, either! My friend Lion King uses all types of witchcraft and voodoo and picked 11 of 13 winners in the NFL this week! Maybe it is best if we all stick to the methods we are comfortable with and compare notes to see if we can't get an edge on the book.
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM

If you are using a sunrise or noon chart for the team now you might find it instructive to try a chart that has valid angles.

I have done a great deal of work with these charts and I can assure you that they are very valid. I even used one a year or so ago to predict the Giants Superbowl win. Didn't believe it at the time, but the method worked.

Bob
Unread 11-12-2009, 02:17 AM

so you use a chart for the beginning of the game that was their first win of the year as a "team chart" for the rest of the year, right?
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:30 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Niplan

No offense, But that is a crapton of work for each team, and alot of things you'd have to keep in mind, you'd be doing a chart for each player, each game, every time they played almost every day...

that's 25 charts a team, For just one game.. plus the coaches, and the umpire.

Not to mention, how can you even be sure of the players birth times and places?

Also, Just because each players chart looks good, Doesn't mean thats who is going to get favored. You would have to consider both teams charts to the transits, to see who had stronger connections...

and then how they relate to each other... 25x25 = 625 Charts to analyze plus umps and coaches.

And that's if they are playing a team that you already have all their "Star stats" done for. otherwise your data won't be useful to see who will win.

And you can't evaluate the stars on how the effect preformance just based on that players transits, Everyone you interact with has some astrological effect over you and how you relate to them..

if Juan pablo pitcher, Doesn't like Jesus taco batter but senior taco likes senior pablo Then he may not play as hard, as if they were innate animosity twords one another. Just like some people inatley find some people attractive for some unkown reason, these same influances can cause you to inatley like or surrender to someone.
simpler and easier to master the event chart.

Last edited by Niplan; 11-12-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Hi Niplan,
You make some good points about how one can become overwhelmed with information overload, but as a practical matter, i don't think that anyone is considering such a method of picking winners. Personally, I am not satisfied with the horary approach to this problem, and have had better luck using the "real time" methods found at courtneyrobertsome.com. I spend about the same amount of time analyzing the coach and qb of each football team against the backdrop of the current sky, as does my friend Lion King who uses mainly event charts like you do. He is, by far, the best horary predictor that i know and we post our predictions on the NFL predictions thread in the Greenhorn's Lounge. if you are following the NFL, why not join us in our efforts to get an edge on the book?
Unread 11-12-2009, 02:25 PM

Shawn:

To answer your question: Until recently I used a chart for the team's first win of the season. These charts do work. But you might ask, why not the first game of the season, since that marks the start of the season?

The answer is that a year or so ago I had posted something, on this board, I think, about Mason's method, which uses the first game, and someone answered and said, don't use the FG charts, they don't work. But the FW charts do work. So I never tried the FG charts, and just used the FW charts, which do work quite well.

But then a few weeks ago I got to thinking about team charts in general, and I realized that in many cases a new team will loose its first game, yet that chart still becomes the bc for the team. If that's the case then why is it that a FG chart doesn't work?

So I decided to try FG charts, and I find that they do work, and very well indeed. I think the problem with the person I mentioned was that the method they were using (it may have been Mason's method) doesn't work. The chart is fine. If that person used Mason's method as presented in her book then I can guarantee you that it won't work, because Mason's method, as presented, doesn't work. With the modifications I have made it works quite well, tho there are still some issues that have to be worked out. It's not perfect, and there are still some charts that I can't understand, but the answers are emerging at a steady rate.

It's best to relocate the chart to the home location for the visitor to avoid the problem of two teams having the same chart. And it's important to have the time very accurately, as the effective orb on the contacts is about +/- 1/2.

You should try one using your methods to see how they work.

Has Lionking explained his methods? I've never heard of anyone who has a working approach to the game chart approach. They get big wins one week and then big losses the next. It's mostly luck.

Bob
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:27 PM

Hi bob,
I can only imagine that you must have put in hours and hours to arrive at a system that you are more or less comfortable with, and gives you, more often than not, the desired results.
I guess, if i thought i had an accurate "team chart" for each team in the NFL, I could run some triwheel charts with the end of game chart on the inside to see the aspects that are in effect at this time and how they stack up against the backdrop of diurnal motion. This would require about half of the time that i spend now, grading 4 horoscopes for each game.
Unread 11-13-2009, 01:01 PM

How do you do an end of game chart when you don't know when the game will end?

Not to mention the fact that charts measure the beginning of something, not the end. Unless you're just progressing ( and regressing) a chart up to the estimated end time of the game. Don't know what good that would do, as the angles move to fast to be reliable.

It takes me about 5 minutes to do a chart, now that I've simplified things quite a bit.

I've been noticing that sometimes teams have a really big win when Neptune is touched by one of the angles I use. I would think Neptune would be malific, but apparently not always.

Bob
Unread 11-14-2009, 10:31 AM

It is not difficult to guesstimate the time that the game will end if it is a football or basketball game. baseball is a different matter.
i put the coach and qbs chart around the end of game chart in a triwheel, because i want to see how their natal planets compare against the backdrop of the sky at the end of the game. For example, this week both jake delhomme and josh freeman will have their natal suns culminating at the end of the game, indicating that they will be shining brightly at this time, which means they will probably emerge victorious at the end of the game. After all, we already know the score at the beginning of the game, right? What we want to know is which team will have the upper hand at the end of the game. since so many games go down to the last minute, it is good to know which players are likely to perform their best at this time.
Yes, neptune is a tricky planet as i think it represents both the best and worst results possible. Neptune can symbolize the euphoria of a big win, or the disappointment of a loss.
Unread 11-14-2009, 02:34 PM

I looked up to length of game for a dozen NFL games and got an average of 2:57 16 minutes.

When you say 'culminating' this implies the presence of some angles. Would I be correct in assuming that you get these angles by progressing the game chart up to, say, 3:57 local time? Well, this would be the same thing as doing a chart for that time and place. So I assume that is what you mean by the EOG chart.

But you've got a 30-minute window for the EOG. That's 7-8 on the MC. I don't see how you can get any reliable contacts to the angles with that much uncertainty in the time.

If this is what you're going, then you are progressing the game chart to that time, whether you think of it that way or not. And if you progress the chart to that time then you should regress it to that time also. You may not know it, but you are missing 50% of the data relevant to your method.

You should do one as an example. I think you would find it extremely interesting. Maybe more than one: sometimes most of the data is in the progressed chart. OTOH, sometimes it's all in the regressed chart.

I like your turn of phrase for Neptune. I will remember it.

Bob

Tags
accuracy, data, events, pitch, timing