Sabian Symbol Websites WITH Meanings/Study

SagiCap

Hiya,

I'm looking for an in-depth Sabian Symbol meaning and interpretation site that doesn't just list them and supply a quick meaning. I want to learn much more and have found some sources on the net but looking for more. Blain Bovee's site is quite good, but again, not enough. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

sdh3

Hiya,

I'm looking for an in-depth Sabian Symbol meaning and interpretation site that doesn't just list them and supply a quick meaning. I want to learn much more and have found some sources on the net but looking for more. Blain Bovee's site is quite good, but again, not enough. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

SagiCap, hello.

As you may have discovered, online sources typically provide only sketches of interpretations of the symbols. Generating 360 full interpretations is a very involved and laborious process. Not surprisingly, most everyone who has done so has also used that work for a book of some kind--one that is, of course, copyright protected. I know of only one "author" who has produced in-depth and book-quality interpretations of all 360 symbols AND posted them on the web where they can be viewed for free. Those interpretations are, as it turns out, the first drafts and they are frequently being revised. Drop me a private message and I'll give you the URL where you can find them. Until they are all completed the "author" is not promoting or advertising the URL but since you asked, I'm pretty sure he won't mind one more person knowing about them.

---sdh3

piercethevale

You just can't beat having Rudhyars book handy in my opinion.
Sadly mindfires website has suddenly disappeared...which had all 360 of the symbols from Rudhyars book right there...right now...now...right gone.
I had to search around the other night and can't find any sites that give more than the basic description of the symbol.
Here's a list of those I've found so far to date.

http://www.cornerstone-astrology.com/sabian_symbols.php?sign=Aries

[this is the most descriptive]
http://360sequations.tripod.com/id13.html

http://www.cafeastrology.com/sabiansymbols_degreemeanings.html

http://www.crystalwind.ca/astrology/astrology/412-sabian-symbols.html

piercethevale

The mindfire website is the same as the one I gave but the tsuzki page with his own symbols is new to me.

When I read this, I had to laugh out loud: "The Sabian Symbols never would have gotten me there, to the center of the mystery. In retrospect, it is clear that their quality is to suggest, to imply, to elusively bring such a slight clue. Other versions of interpretation of these symbols have come into my hands since Schroeder's did in the early 1980s and they are consistently in that mode of giving a taste, but nothing fundamentally nourishing. "

I started seriously studying Astrology in the summer of '84. I saw a couple of connections, and obvious ones, the very first time I opened up Rudhyar's book. Since then I've seen so many 'connections' I would have no idea of how many I've seen...it is definitely in the thousands though.

I've demonstrated that Kabbalist Astrology and the Sabians as defined by Rudhyar and occasionally altered or embellished a bit in symbol description. Dane not only had Marc Jones permission, He had Marc's blessing to do both as well.
Dane liked Marc's set that he gave him in the early 30s...for awhile. Then Dane noticed that they would 'flow' in a 'procession for awhile and then hit an impasse.
Dane was living in L.A. at the time and found out that Elsie Wheeler, the Clairvoyant who obtained the symbols for Marc, was living in San Diego [this was around 1934 or 5, I believe it was]. He went to see her. He asked about the symbols. Elsie told Dane He could see for himself...as she had the original cards with the pictures as she described them to Marc. Dane found out that Marc had substantially altered them for an agenda ...although Marc thought at the time He had been doing the right thing.
Dane had studied Jung and Vedic/Hindu philosophy for some time by then ...and He was probably the preeminently qualified man on Earth to understand them and write about them.
I imagine that Elsie didn't sign away her copyrights to the symbols or at least Marc let Her keep the cards...whichever, Rudhyar 'had him'!
If you read the first chapter in the book, before the symbols are given...you can find this out.

That this guy with his set that he had some other psychic try to obtain is unbelievable...and all the more so for the dozen key symbols I checked against his set...for example. The Kabbalist say that the force of God emanates from between Capricorn and Aquarius. Take a look at the symbols from both sets for Capricorn 30* and the Aquarius 01*

Here's the description of the 'Godhead' by Rudhyar: Capricorn 30* "A SECRET MEETING OF MEN RESPONSIBLE FOR EXECUTIVE DECISIONS IN WORLD AFFAIRS.

KEYNOTE: The power to assume responsibility for crucial choices arrived at after mature discussions with those who share this power.

... The student of esoteric philosophy believes in the existence.. [Of what some] people speak of "occult Hierarchy," or of the "White Lodge."... ...these facts are at least in part the outcome of the decisions of a supreme Council of quasi-divine Beings.

[In this]...symbol We see in it the culmination of social responsibility and a reference to EXECUTIVE POWER."

And by your Ellias Lonsdale: CAPRICORN 30*
''Blue morning glories growing up a tall trellis.
Heightened ability to bring the greater self into action. The towering presence of the one who knows informing each moment. A huge and formidable destiny-dedication to bring all of yourself through into this world. A steadfast, adamant quality of soul. The prenatal resolve to work out all remaining karmas and be free. ... ...the truest endowment of inward faculties to see them through and light up the world."

And the act of 'Creation' by Rudhyar: Aquarius 01*
"AN OLD ADOBE MISSION IN CALIFORNIA.

KEYNOTE: The power inherent in all great human works to endure far beyond the workers' life spans
. ...
...the zodiacal sign Capricorn begins with a symbol of socio-political power, Aquarius at its start presents a more spiritualized and idealistic or creative picture of the social forces at work. ... ... the symbol speaks of the projection of a noble ideal into concrete forms of beauty and significance... [and Rudhyar's 'Keyword{s} summation of the definition...] THE CONCRETIZATION OF AN IDEAL..."

...and by Lonsdale: AQUARIUS 01*
"A two-headed calf.
Taking a good look at things with an eager eye brings you right into the middle of the dilemma of polarities. As you stand there faced with the different sides, you are impartial; neither side pulls you more sharply than the other. Immense opportunity. Huge challenge. ... ...--do you find what is ready to emerge or do you think about it? ...."

:andy::tongue:

Last edited:

grkemmer

By no means I am academically involved with sabian symbols or astrology or kabbalist tradition; an am unaware of the history of these symbols; but I find the academic tone of your writing a bit high-nosed, up-tight and blah. Lonsdale is by no means ''mine''; it is a link I found on internet; interpretation of which went well with my sensibilities.

I am not academically involved in astrology; but I am an English graduate; an am pretty good at doing symbolic readings and lets say am well versed and somewhat talented in cosmic symbolmis. In the comparisons you have made; Elias's writings seem much more clear with all the right words chosen. It is more individual oriented though. I can't see a reason why Lonsdale's interpretation can't give as apt an interpretation as do the first interpretation.

If this is an act of clairvoyance, intuiting, feeling the elements; if these abilities are the projections of cosmic energy lines that are visible to people who has gone in the right ways; I think no academican gets the better on other; or no has more right to talk about symbolims than people who experience these energies that allow them to interpret beyond political correctsness; up-tight language and a predisposition to sound right while also leaning to, on the sly, crushing of other points of view.

I personally liked Lonsdale's interpretations better; they are much more sincere with their emphasis upon the reader's personal will and interaction with cosmos in general; rather than going hand in hand with calcified traditions that sound all too big and discrminatory; also taking individuals disconnected and not integral to cosmos.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Interesting work sdh3. I didn't know you had it in completed form as of yet.
I got through some of the introduction but it is rather late [or early now] and I'll have to continue reading at a later date.
One thing I don't know if you are aware of, and whether or not you make any mention of it in your book is, that I have found, surprisingly, that Rudhyar seems to have been heavily influenced by the 'Theosophists'. For example, I hadn't known until very recently that it was Alice Bailey that published his first works.
I also discovered [relatively recently considering my nearly 50 years of reading on the subject] that Edgar Cayce was involved with, what is known as, the 'Great White Brotherhood', aka 'The White Lodge,' or 'The Ascended Masters" among other names 'THEY' may be known by.
If it hadn't a been for some of Dane's re-assemblage of the symbols [Aquarius 30* for example] I might have 'missed' the needed connections, on my account.

Maybe I should have been a little easier on member grkemmer but to me I couldn't even 'SEE' a glimmer of potential 'truths' in the nearly 2 dozen symbols that I took the time to randomly check out.
I do tend to 'cut to the chase'.

Good Luck on your book Sdh3, I think it will make a fine scholarly addition to the "Library of Zodiacal Symbolism"

Cheers, ptv

Last edited:

piercethevale

I think no academican gets the better on other; or no has more right to talk about symbolims than people who experience these energies
I am one of THOSE people that experience "These Energies"...in fact I'm particularly affected by them.

As Trevor Ravenscroft explains in his book, "The Cup of Destiny".

sdh3

Thanks PtV, for the kind words. As a confirmed Theosophist--mostly of the Alice Bailey works--I was aware that Ms. Bailey and Dane were contemporaries. She mentions him in her Unfinished Autobiography and speaks highly of his work. I did not know, however, that she had any hand in the publication of his work. That's very interesting and I'd be glad to know more about this. As I think you may know, my own work on the Sabian Symbols grows out of some earlier analyses of the most important mantram that Alice Bailey gave out in her books via her Tibetan Master. That mantram is known as the Great Invocation and it appears below. I've written 7 books of linguistic analysis of this mantram and it has informed my understanding of the Sabian Symbols which I now see as mantric formulae.

On a related note, I've never properly and publicly thanked you for the tremendous insight you gave me with the posts on the Yod some months back. This flung open wide a door for me and for that I'll always be appreciative. I hope to share in the future, with you and the rest here, what I was able to see anew because of what you shared.

thoughtfully
sdh3

The Great Invocation

From the point of Light within the Mind of God
Let light stream forth into the minds of men.
Let Light descend on Earth.

From the point of Love within the Heart of God
Let love stream forth into the hearts of men.
May Christ return to Earth.

From the centre where the Will of God is known
Let purpose guide the little wills of men –
The purpose which the Masters know and serve.

From the centre which we call the race of men
Let the Plan of Love and Light work out
And may it seal the door where evil dwells.

Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.

piercethevale

Thanks PtV, for the kind words. As a confirmed Theosophist--mostly of the Alice Bailey works--I was aware that Ms. Bailey and Dane were contemporaries. She mentions him in her Unfinished Autobiography and speaks highly of his work. I did not know, however, that she had any hand in the publication of his work. That's very interesting and I'd be glad to know more about this. As I think you may know, my own work on the Sabian Symbols grows out of some earlier analyses of the most important mantram that Alice Bailey gave out in her books via her Tibetan Master. That mantram is known as the Great Invocation and it appears below. I've written 7 books of linguistic analysis of this mantram and it has informed my understanding of the Sabian Symbols which I now see as mantric formulae.

On a related note, I've never properly and publicly thanked you for the tremendous insight you gave me with the posts on the Yod some months back. This flung open wide a door for me and for that I'll always be appreciative. I hope to share in the future, with you and the rest here, what I was able to see anew because of what you shared.

thoughtfully
sdh3

The Great Invocation

From the point of Light within the Mind of God
Let light stream forth into the minds of men.
Let Light descend on Earth.

From the point of Love within the Heart of God
Let love stream forth into the hearts of men.
May Christ return to Earth.

From the centre where the Will of God is known
Let purpose guide the little wills of men –
The purpose which the Masters know and serve.

From the centre which we call the race of men
Let the Plan of Love and Light work out
And may it seal the door where evil dwells.

Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth.

To be absolutely honest, I took you to be Islamic.
I had no clue, and certainly no idea, that you are into Theosophy.
I learn a little bit more about it as the time goes by... I've suspected that the legendary 'GWB' might even be guiding my own path, at times, more times here recently.

Of a new interest of mine... a new discovery...ist that the Seven Pointed star [that Crowley was so interested in] has something to do with the Eleven pointed star...also known as the 'Elfin or Faerie Star'.

My studies into septiles led me to it. As I have long suspected that the Heptagram is somehow associated with the Angelic and that only 7 and 11 of the numbers one through twelve produce irrational numbers when divided into 360, then it stands to reason to me that the Hendacagram [if I spelled that correctly?] is probably just that...something to do with the 'Faeries or Sprites'...as I perceive them to be of one of the lower orders of the Angelic realm.
Peace and good fortune be yours!
ptv

piercethevale

. {The following is an excerpt from wikipedia on Dane, As wikipedia is not copyrighted material the 100 word limit does not apply here. Thank you. ptv}]

"Dane Rudhyar was born in Paris on March 23, 1895. At the age of 12, a severe illness and surgery disabled him, and he turned to music and intellectual development to compensate for his lack of physical agility. He studied at the Sorbonne, University of Paris (graduating at the age of 16), and at the Paris Conservatoire. His early ventures into philosophy and his association with the artistic community in Paris led to his conviction that all existence is cyclical in character. Influenced by Nietzsche as a youth, Rudhyar visioned himself as a "seed man" of new age cultural evolution.
In November 1916, Rudhyar's music brought him to New York City, where his orchestral arrangements and original compositions were performed on April 4, 1917 at a performance of Métachorie by the New York Metropolitan Opera. This was one of the first polytonal pieces of music performed in the United States. He also met Sasaki Roshi, one of the early Japanese Zen teachers in America, who led him in the study of Oriental philosophy and occultism. During this period from 1917 to 1919, spent partly in New York City, partly in Canada, and partly in Philadelphia he adopted the name "Rudhyar" a cognate of several attractive Sanskrit words including the name of the god Rudra. His interest was further stimulated by his association with Theosophy, which began when he was asked to compose music for a production at the society's headquarters in Los Angeles in 1920. Rudhyar became a naturalized citizen of the United States in 1926. He stayed in California (often commuting to New York) through the 1920s and in 1930 married Marla Contento, secretary to independent Theosophist Will Levington Comfort. Comfort introduced Rudhyar to Marc Edmund Jones, who in turn introduced him to astrology. Rudhyar received mimeographed lessons on astrology from Jones.
Rudhyar learned astrology during a period when he was also studying the psychological writings of Carl G. Jung, and he began to think in terms of bringing astrology and Jungian psychology together.... Rudyar also cites Jan Smut's book Holism and Evolution as an influence. The marriage between astrology and depth-psychology overcame some basic problems, including astrology's deterministic approach to life and the trouble of designating an agreeable agent to produce the astrological effects. Rudhyar postulated that the stars did not cause the effects seen in human life but were pictures synchronistically aligned to human beings. They detailed psychological forces working in individuals, but did not override human freedom in responding to those forces, he said. At first he called his new interpretation "harmonic astrology" and as the ideas matured renamed it "humanistic astrology," the subject of his monumental volume, The Astrology of Personality, published in 1936.
[Which was voted as one of "The One Hundred Greatest Books of the 20th Century", by the New York Times in 2000.] A friend, Theosophist Alice A. Bailey (the person who invented the term New Age), encouraged the development of his thought and published his book on her press, Lucis Publishing. His initial writings were regular articles in Paul Clancy's magazine American Astrology and Grant Lewi's Horoscope Magazine.

Over the next two decades Rudhyar continued to write and lecture on astrology, but while he was honored within the astrological community he was little known outside of it. It was not until the 1970s, as the New Age movement emerged, that major publishing houses discovered him and began to publish his writings: among the first was The Practice of Astrology, published in 1970 by Penguin Books. "

grkemmer

ptv,

Still, your tone is giving me unease about talking with you and making me tend to not care about how many years you may have studied. When you have something to say about me in an environment where I also am there, you better talk to me and not to some assumed audience about me if you want to fill in that huge mantle you seem to have worn. You cannot be hard or soft on me over internet, however stern looking and avatar you may have chosen Btw, I am also an energy healer, and; I recommend you spend some time in salt water and give yourself a chance to get out of your head. You seem to be experiencing the whole world through a somewhat calcified state of mind, after 50 years of study, you need fluidity and relax, let yourself be freed from tension; and let some fluid fun and relief in. (I mean take a holiday at seaside.)

In the first interpretation, Rudhyar's, the idea is one who takes responsibility about world, the one who has capacity for it, but the emphasis is on group championing, like cults, or groups which allegedly decide on world affairs, like the old lodges or current Illuminati.

In second interpration, Lonsdale's, the ability is taken as ''lighting up the world'' rather than strategically or, with a group, ruling the world affairs. It is one's direct relation with universal power. It is more individual and universal power oriented, rather than the power to rule and the groups or cults oriented.

I thank the Age of Aquarius for coming and making us aware of the subsuming and reductive and unnecessirly sacrifical qualities of grouping and resposibility.

Sdh3, thank you for the link. I have taken a look for my planetary degress; I think maybe you can add an interpretation part which brings in a new interpretation added the information you have researched on etmology.

Last edited:

piercethevale

I would love to get 'into some salt water', unfortunately a recent operation now prevents that.
If you will look at the billing for this thread it does say "Sabian Symbol Websites". Your offering was not within 'the spirit' of matters here.
I have offered many a member that has offered some other set of symbols other than the Sabians to demonstrate their veracity. I offer you the same challenge. The Degree Symbols forum would be the appropriate place for this if you decide to accept.
btw. If you look at my recent thread in recommendations you will find a link to a site wherein the entire book, "The Holy Science", by Swami Sri Yukteswar, can be read in its' entirety. In the introduction you will find an explanation that it is the age of Leo that we are preparing to go into and not Aquarius. I honor the 'Guruampara' for its' supreme wisdom.

I do take exception, though, to your referring to the Ascended Ones as some old lodge...and to associate them with the, so called, illuminati is rather despicable ...imho...

grkemmer

Well, saying someting is despicable is no ''humble' opinion, and ...imho... with three dots in the beginning and end, does not really mean anything if I have to take myself as seriously as you do. I do not not care about what somebody you have read might call the coming age; It is the Age of Aquarius that is coming; I see it everywhere.

Again, when I take myself as seriously as you do; I can tell that I myself am pretty good at energy reading and healing and have no idea whom you call the ascended ones, should they be the angels, or semi-gods as they are called? Nowhere in the line you have put it says ''ascended ones'', it says a secret meeting of men responsible... Apparently not you with your perception taking you no further than putting some unicorn's picture as your avatar and adding some line about gumdrops to your signature when I made a remark to let you know that you do not have the power to be hard on me, as you would like to see yourself. I see that you are one of those people who see the world totally through dichotomies, and does not believe in healing. By the way when you use quotation marks supposedly making fun of my language and the terms I use; you put them all in wrong places and the emphasis is so stupid I can't help but find such attempt, wait, what was the word, no not the ''d'' word!, ''laugh-inducing''.

I don't accept your challange, who are you to challange me? If you find the symbols I found somewhere on the internet beneficial, use them, if not, I don't give a thought. I just wanted you to watch out your tone when saying things related to me and made remarks on problems you have as I figured out from your tone for I am good at energy reading, that's it.

Looking at the way you speak, I can see that you're a well meant person but got too much into studying and proving your points, you can't see and feel the life around you. That's why I offered somewhere seaside, to cleanse and relax and have some time of your own to feel and arrange your relation to yourself. You can have your feet in the sea, or hands, or just feel it, that's enough, if your operation lets. Also you can use the green tourmaline crystal to get back into your relation with the universe and amethyst for feeling more sober in your power. Other than that, it's up to you how you react to my comments.

If your operation does not allow relaxation through change of place and relation with nature you may try these channels; Lourdes's reiki channel for relaxation and and maybe you'll find something about your operation and may use tranquility and balance videos in Ataana's healing channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ataanaloa
http://www.youtube.com/user/RestRelaxationReiki?feature=watch

Last edited:

piercethevale

I use the 'three dots' as it allows me the "Slack" I need because my verbal skills were scored at the 55th percentile Math, mechanical and spatil reasoning though were tested to be in the 98th percentile.
Translation: If I could put it in an equation I could write like Shakespeare or Byron.
So you're saying that you came into a thread on Sabin symbols and offered a completely different set of symbols that you haven't used very much yourself and can't back up?
That's a lot of audacity, I must say.
Some of us here at this forum take our work far more seriously than that grk, far more seriously.
This is not some form of internet amusement here for me...nor for a lot of other members here.
You talk of 'energies' and tranquility?
Friend, there's a war going on around you...and it is sound advice when I say, "Get wise".
I have danced with the Angels and fought blow for blow with the Devil himself... you have no idea of who I am or what I am.

Go in peace. OM Tat Sat OM Sat Nam OM Prema Nam OM
ptv

grkemmer

I don't think Shakespeare's or Byron's verbal skills were within the 55th percentile; and I'd say I do not care about the test you have taken. I was reacting at the tone of your language and your supposedly learned quotation marks and do not care that much about your verbal skills as long as you convey your point in a way that does not bother me, otherwise I'm letting you know.

That this page is about Sabian and Sabian symbols only (though there is no such disclaimer)or the limitations you'd like to assume also does not bother me that much, I wanted to let asker know about the symbols I have found on internet and saw to be fit; and true in my experience; and also written in a language that has a large perspective.

There is a play going on around me, and a beautiful one, as long as I want it to be; and I want it to be in light and love and having the fun of my existence I see fit.

I'd like to know who or what you are, now that you mention it. Who are you piercethevale?

Last edited: