Horary Exercise: (Beginners) Will I get my money back?

RayAustin

In the *spirit* of TK and others [deleted non-astrological remarks not related to member praising - Moderator]

So ... this question's outcome was reached, and this horary is much easier than a lost object horary. :smile:

So give it a go, and test your horary skills so that you might enrich them.

Background:
The querent got charged considerable overdraft fees on their bank account. When calling the bank, they repeatedly got told that the bank would not refund their money. They called one last time to resolve the issue but asked first in frustration, "Will the bank give me my money back?"

That's all I'm going to say! :)

Only horary consideration to come up on the chart is that the ruler of the 7th is retrograde.

Chart Information:

22 Apr 2010
Paterson, NJ

moneyback.png

Of course, explain how you reach your conclusion and what in the chart specifies your conclusion. Your methodology, & etc. I will also run through the outcome with my own technique.

Who shall be the first!?

R

Last edited by a moderator:

dr. farr

Quick response: answer, yes they got money back
Why? (following is not according to standard horary practice)

-Lord of ascendant, Jupiter, a benefic, posited in his own sign of Pisces, located in the 4th house (end or resolution of the matter) by whole sign
-Part of Fortune, disposited by Lord of ascendant (Jupiter), posited in fruitful sign of Pisces, located at the 4th house (end or resolution of the matter)
-Dragon's Head posited in 2nd house (ie, benefic located in house of querent's wealth/money)
-Moon in 9th, chasing Saturn, could possibly indicate litigation or the threat of litigation having a bearing upon the resolution of this matter.

Now, put egg on my face and tell me how wrong my little prediction turned out to be!:crying:

Last edited:

HeyPlayGirl

eep this is hard, im gonna just give it a shot but it wont be good lol
okay your friend is jup/moon. jup in pisces is strong. bank is retro merc which could mean they will "go back" on their charges or change their mind about charging them so much and retro saturn is your friend's money? i guess saturn being retro could symbolize the money coming back in their account. saturn is opp jup i dont know how to take that! i guess the opp just shows difficulties in obtaining the money back? moon and saturn are not aspecting either but are in the same house and are moving towards each other...so yes they will get their money back. ah or maybe most of it but not all since saturn is a malefic?
i dont know if i should take venus into account because venus= money? :confused:

thats all i got! :tongue:

Last edited:

wintersprite1

Premium Member
Quick (mars!!) response from me....

Significator for the querent is Jupiter and is in rulership (strong) and in the 3rd house (of appropriately communications and documents.... keeping the communiction going is of key importance, hence the POF in Jupiter's rulership) The question could be looked for a number of different ways because of the way asked. If I go with will you get your money back (not even figuring in the bank.... just your money) The second house would be used to represent your money. The house is ruled by Capricorn so the Lord is Saturn found rx on the MC angle... that I would call a yes. The other way including the bank in the formula, would have the bank in the 7th (as the other guy) and the significator is Mercury going rx... that with the NN in the 2nd (your money) and the SN in the 8th(their money) I would say yes again the money is returned. Funny I didn;t look for aspects or dignities, this chart just seems straight up. (and if I am wrong.... it is in not looking for those) about the SN, aphorism 43 by Lily says "Beware of men and things appertaining to that house wherein South Node is in; it seldome failes, but the Querent shall receive damage, scandall or slander from men and matter signified by the house he is in." Misspellings his :)

TK

RayAustin

If I go with will you get your money back (not even figuring in the bank.... just your money) The second house would be used to represent your money. The house is ruled by Capricorn so the Lord is Saturn found rx on the MC angle... that I would call a yes. The other way including the bank in the formula, would have the bank in the 7th (as the other guy) and the significator is Mercury going rx...

Teresa.. once again you and I used the same exact significators... we think alike! :smile: I also looked directly at the 2nd house, and then the 7th lord for the bank (I saw them foremost as the other person they were speaking with on the phone--so 7th, "other person"; the bank's 'avatar').

The mars in me is anxious to finish this up but let's see who else replies..

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I'm also joining the "bank is the seventh house" group in this one. Mostly because I feel the querent views the bank more like a thief than a banking institution in this predicament.

Firstly, the lord of the hour is Mars who matches the temperament of the rising sign Sagittarius (both hot and dry), the Moon is not void, but Saturn is in the Tenth on a non-Tenth house question which means the question may damage the astrologer's reputation. Which means I'm probably going to get it wrong. :O

The querent is Jupiter in Pisces in the Third house, showing they have little ability to do much in the current situation. They can't miracle their money back, so they have to rely on the bank to do the job for them. The bank (or at least the person spoken to over the phone) is shown by Mercury, retrograde in Taurus in their own term, not much power there. Mercury is under the beams, showing a lack of clarity for said bank person. More importantly, the money is shown as Saturn on the MC. Saturn's peregrine and retrograde which probably isn't that great, but the retrograde suggests a return but I don't think they get all of it back since Saturn is so essentially weak. Saturn's antiscion is less than half a degree away from the PoF, which seems like another positive testimony.

Saturn is also being received by Mercury, which seems like another positive testimony as the bank people/person is/are inclined to let Saturn do what it wants, which would be to return to the querent. I'd like to see Saturn making an aspect to the Moon/Ascendant/Jupiter, but apparently I'm not going to get that. I do, though, get the Moon's next aspect being a Square to Venus, which seems like a positive event after frustration and trouble on the side of the querent.

I'm a bit iffy on it, but I'm calling it a "Yes they'll get the money back, but not the full amount of the overdraft fees."

*crosses fingers*

Neptune Rising

I'll have a go.

Querant is Jupiter, stong in Pisces.
Querant's money is Saturn, up at the MC so quite prominent.

Fortuna is at the Nadir, end of matters and deposited by Jupiter, I would think that is favourable for the querant. Plus Jupiter heads to conjunct the Fortuna. Jupiter opposes Saturn (2nd ruler) first. Fortuna there at the Nadir suggests to me the matter ends favourable for the querant.

North Node in the 2nd looks to me another positive to querant getting their money back. Also, just realised Saturn is retrograde so money returning to querant. In fact, they are mutually applying.

Mars is applying to trine the ascendant. Though considered a maelific, this rules the 4th house, which also suggests to me the matter ending favourably. I wonder if the Mars energies also show matter ending speedily.

I didnt know which house to assign the bank to, but the 10th house makes sense as they do have power, as much if not more than governments, kings ect. Also insurance companies hold the power cards, but thats just my opinion. :wink:

NR

RayAustin-Rapscallion,

I have cornered you yet again!

Please help rewrite the Horary Guidelines so that there is no confusion as to what the true intention is.

I just need some help.... please help!!!!!!!!!!!

[So give it a go, and test your horary skills so that you might enrich them.]

mod.

RayAustin

Wow, I'm very happy with the interest this has generated and the people replying and the content of the replies--yay! I like reading your replies because it teaches me as well, or reminds me of methods/things I might have overlooked. I want to address everyone's post and also put my commentary and the outcome. This will be lengthy, but aimed to be very informative!

So the chart was made in Koch. I love Koch. :lol: I usually use Regio, Koch, and Whole Sign--I'm no house system loyalist by any means. I know more inside details than you all so I’ll have more information to add based on the background and be able to cite more astrological significances.

Significators
There are three primary significators, the querent (1H), the bank itself (10H), and the representative of the bank (7H); another significator you may consider is the natural ruler.

Querent: Jupiter, correctly posited in the 3rd house of communications. Well dignified in Pisces, the querent appears to be a goodly person without ill intent. Opposed by negative Saturn, ruler of the second; this confirms they are facing heavy financial frustrations. I would also consider aspects to the ascendant to describe the querent. We see peregrine Mars heated in Leo in trine aspect to the ascendant by 2 degrees right from the cusp of the turned 3rd. This correctly described the non-initially heated nature of the querent--they made 3 calls; by the second one they were pissed off (relevance to the two degrees?).

Bank: So we all seem to agree that Venus rules the bank as a corporate entity--the 10th house lord.

The bank is called "TD Bank", some of you may know it--their logo/color is green. Venus is in Taurus, a sign primarily associated with the color green. Is this a coincidence? When I first looked over the chart, I didn't think to consider that until inspired by some of your posts.

Signified by well-seated Venus it suggests a benevolent disposition, and maybe a positive outcome.

Representative(s):
The querent primarily spoke to 2 men and a woman about the situation. Genderless Mercury seems appropriate. They all sounded to be fairly young, mid-thirties at oldest. Well disposed in genteel Taurus, they were very docile despite the querent's frustration. :smile: Rx would definitely suggest hesitation, but at the same token "change of mind"; and "going back on words". It’s fair to say that Jupiter is stronger than Mercury so the querent has power over the representative.

Natural Significator:
This definitely was a battle of words! So it makes sense to consider also Mercury as a natural ruler of the "situation", and judge its condition accordingly. We see Mercury posited in the 5th house, the house of good fortune disposed by again, well-seated Venus. This alone can imply a positive outcome for the querent but with problems due to the "under the sunbeams" debility and retrograde motion. The square aspect to peregrine, heated Mars in Leo can signify arguments and verbal hostility; and the trine to the ascendant from the turned 3rd sends that virtue to the querent, and back to the representative. This may-be intensified by Mercury being close to the sun. Retrograde; again, implies delay or certain frustration in the issue.

So what was the outcome? After the heated back and forth he-said-she-said debacle, the querent was issued a refund of 80% of the overdraft fees.

Testimonies of YES
No need reiterating what’s been said with my own interpretation, so I will just add my own commentary:
dr.farr said:
-Dragon's Head posited in 2nd house (ie, benefic located in house of querent's wealth/money)
Yes it’s said that the north node is "... a point of definite assistance wherever it is found, assuring cooperation and smooth transactions in areas ruled by the house in which it is found.” So sayeth Marc Edmund Jones! So that is one of many positive YES testimonies in the chart, since the 2nd is the quesited house.
HeyPlayGirl said:
bank is retro merc which could mean they will "go back" on their charges or change their mind about charging them so much and retro saturn is your friend's money? i guess saturn being retro could symbolize the money coming back in their account. saturn is opp jup i dont know how to take that! i guess the opp just shows difficulties in obtaining the money back? moon and saturn are not aspecting either but are in the same house and are moving towards each other...so yes they will get their money back. i dont know if i should take venus into account because venus= money
Everything you said is correct in my book. :smile: And yes you can take Venus into account for that reason, and especially so because the next aspect from Moon is a square to Venus. Quite a few “yes”es there.
TK said:
Significator for the querent is Jupiter and is in rulership (strong) and in the 3rd house (of appropriately communications and documents.... keeping the communiction going is of key importance, hence the POF in Jupiter's rulership) … If I go with will you get your money back (not even figuring in the bank.... just your money) The second house would be used to represent your money. The house is ruled by Capricorn so the Lord is Saturn found rx on the MC angle... that I would call a yes. The other way including the bank in the formula, would have the bank in the 7th (as the other guy) and the significator is Mercury going rx... that with the NN in the 2nd (your money) and the SN in the 8th(their money) I would say yes again the money is returned. Funny I didn;t look for aspects or dignities, this chart just seems straight up.
:smile:
Initially I took the same approach as you—the answer seemed quite obvious with 2nd lord retro on the MC. We can also count the 10th as the 7th (relational) end of matter, in which things finished for them by a reluctant return of their money (Saturn Rx).
Kaiousei No Senshi said:
I'm also joining the "bank is the seventh house" group in this one. Mostly because I feel the querent views the bank more like a thief than a banking institution in this predicament.
Yes, the querent did say to me, “they’re stealing my money! :mad:
Kaiousei No Senshi said:
Saturn's peregrine and retrograde which probably isn't that great, but the retrograde suggests a return but I don't think they get all of it back since Saturn is so essentially weak. Saturn's antiscion is less than half a degree away from the PoF, which seems like another positive testimony.
Nice with the antiscion placement of Saturn. Jupiter, Lord of fortune on fortune owns it and reclaims back his wealth though damaged (rx, peregrine) ~ a few coins spilled out of the bag. :smile: Yes, you were right, they didn’t get all of the money back and the only one to call that I think.
Kaiousei No Senshi said:
Saturn is also being received by Mercury, which seems like another positive testimony as the bank people/person is/are inclined to let Saturn do what it wants, which would be to return to the querent.
Saturn in exaltation and rulership and face of Mercury—receives it but also subjects it. Mercury has no choice but to attend to Saturn which we could view as demanding, but fails at doing that well due to its retrograde and “sunburn” condition. So I view this relationship as dysfunctional and subjects Saturn to “good-natured” necessitated mismanagement. This may have also been a suggestion that the querent doesn’t get all their money back; and/or a general sign of negligence.
Neptune Rising said:
Mars is applying to trine the ascendant. Though considered a maelific, this rules the 4th house, which also suggests to me the matter ending favourably. I wonder if the Mars energies also show matter ending speedily.
It didn’t take long, relatively. It ended more angrily than speedily, but they weren’t on the phone for an hour or anything, about 20 minutes or so total calls—so perhaps yes, speedily. :smile: You’re right though, trine from the end of matter did suggest a favorable end but with certain issue, in this case, anger and hostility in the querent and also an actual loss of some of the money.

So there you have it…you were all right.. :smile: Not that I expected anything less!

R

Last edited:

RayAustin

...can someone please explain what (if any) influence the Moon has here?...
The moon in every horary chart is the "barometer" of the chart, a way to level outcomes and describe the situation, mainly at the level of the querent; the person asking the question. It also of course applies to whatever house it rules. The moon is an indicator of the final outcome.

...[I ask because in a transit chart the moon is only hours away from aspecting Jupiter->Venus->Neptune->Uranus->Saturn->Mercury->PoF]
Generally we consider interpreting to stop on the Moon by the end of her tour in the sign she's in. I get where you're coming from, but what you're doing is like using modern astrology to learn traditional instead of just starting to learn traditional at the beginning. If you want to understand more about horary then its best you start with horary basics, not transits. It's very rule based not interpretation based, and if you don't know the rules, you can't play the game.

dr. farr

To EJ53

It is my opinion that horary is not a GAME (I use therapeutic horary often in healing practice), and that, while certain rules must be applied for success-just like rules (principles) in any form of astrology (and in various other approaches to divination and analysis as well, such as I Ching)-these "rules" are subject to a very wide degree of interpretation and SHOULD NOT DISCOURAGE ANY ONE from free thinking and from developing, through knowledge and trial and error, their OWN effective horary methodology. If someone with my little brain can do it, successfully (which I have done), any one else can do so as well (if not even better) than I!

RayAustin

To EJ and other beginners,
That was an analogy not to be taken so literally or dismissively or exclusively. :smile:

I am quite generous with my knowledge and welcome anyone who wants to learn--but--horary is moderately difficult in the sense that it takes lots of tedious memorization that requires a sense of respect. This respect does, entail abiding by the "rulebook" and learning these rules .. (or "considerations" as they used to refer to) as everyone must. Yes, after that then you can form your own methods/free interpretation but not before. There are stickies that tell the considerations & how to get started.

This is why as a horary "knowledge advisor", "teacher", (needless to say I am an ever-learning student myself) my advice for beginners is to forget about trying to use transits or any other branch/method (save for electional) as its an awkward approach to such a decided system. So, I am pointing you away from it. Yes there are some similarities, but you really have to approach it by what it is, not vice versa.

Now I hope we can continue with discussion of the chart. :)

Last edited:

RayAustin

Ray, I have to laugh. TD is also my bank, and that's one of the reasons Saturn at the MC as exaltation ruler of Libra - Saturn - came to mind. I've dealt with them on the overdraft issue before.

Yes... the querent said it wasn't the first time, as well! :(

RayAustin

Thank you Dr.Farr/Olivia/RA for the encouragement......But, having tried to understand via Skyscript/Debra Houlding's excellent articles; attempted to wade through William Lilly's Olde Englishe texts and now being dismissed here as "interested only in transits" I conclude that horary is a branch of astrology where I shall always feel "not wanted"......so must follow the transition of my light to the study of other things.

EJ

EJ,
... Clearly no one is dismissing you. This is the second time you made a subtle remark which derails the thread; and I wouldn't expect that from a moderator. You can either insist on saying you're not wanted or choose to contribute to the thread, the chart, and the discussion. We welcome your attempts so it is an insult to us to repeatedly imply we're pushing you away. We are merely guiding you.

Your choice. :smile:
Ray

Last edited:

dr. farr

EJ53
If horary doesn't "taste good" to you, no big deal! Nobody HAS to use horary in astrology, and, fact is, many of the greats of the past (and of the present) never used it! Analysis of what's behind a situation, or the current state of something, and certainly predictive work, may be accomplished quite effectively using other astrological approaches. My early experience with attempting to study Lily (when I was a kid back in the 1960's) ended up with me nearly abandoning the very subject of astrology itself (and caused my complete rejection of the horary branch until I was given a new outlook on that subject by my old astrological friend, Pasha, 10 years later)
Horary definitely is not for every astrological practitioner!

Last edited:

Neptune Rising

Speaking as a complete "no-horary-knowledge" astrology student trying to follow/understand the techniques...

...can someone please explain what (if any) influence the Moon has here?...

...[I ask because in a transit chart the moon is only hours away from aspecting Jupiter->Venus->Neptune->Uranus->Saturn->Mercury->PoF]

...and (again in a transit chart) the intercepted Virgo/Pisces + duplicated Aries/Libra house cusps suggest an "Authority attitude problem" 10th/4th that is adversely affecting co-operative relationships 11th/5th, and so delaying the required compassionate service (Virgo/Pisces)...which seems to fit RA's oultine of the background...

EJ

EJ, I will explain for you as best I can with my knowledge. Btw, I personally never consciously attempted to commit any of my knowledge to memory, it just came after doing lots and lots of practice charts. Some people do, which is great.

Moon is the fastest moving planet in the sky. It tells the story of the chart, it tells what is going to happen, as well as what has happened. In this chart, Moon at 20 Leo, being the fastest moving planet, will aspect only planets that are above that degree in their respective signs, namely Venus at 27 degree Taurus, it aspects by square. Venus is also a ruler of money. In the chart, Venus rules the 11th, 10th and 6th houses, which in horary represents, friends, societial connections (11th), work/bank (10th), and day to day work (6th). So Moon approaching square to Venus could show approaching troubles, challenges, obstacles in relation to this particular question (put simply). So Moon in horary tells the story, rather than like a natal chart where is suggests a person's emotional make-up.

NR

dr. farr

(Following is a test of the experimental Walis Magic 8 Ball astro-divination method and is not in accordance with standard horary methods; following uses whole sign house format)

This is a known-outcome question (yes the querent got their money back from the bank) What would the Magic 8 Ball have indicated?
-taking the 7th house as representing the bank, Gemini is on the cusp (whole sign 7th); Gemini = Mercury = a yes answer according to the 8 Ball
-taking instead the 10th house as representing the quesited, Virgo is on the (whole sign) cusp = Mercury = a yes answer by the 8 Ball (if regiomontanus were used instead of whole sign, Libra would be on the 10th = Venus = still a yes answer according to the 8 Ball)

Either significator house yields a (correct) yes answer to the question by the 8 Ball method.