DETRIMENT state of AQUARIUS SUN is WEAK and DEBILITATED

JUPITERASC

The art of synthesizing chart factors in the process of analysis
calls us to consider many factors.

Traditionally, one of the most important is
to consider the strength and dignity of the planets.

UNDERSTANDING PLANETARY DIGNITY AND DEBILITY :smile:
https://www.skyscript.co.uk/dignities.html

The 'benefics' are not constant sources of good fortune
the 'malefics' are not always damaging
nor is it fair to assume that all planets express an equal importance at all times

JUPITERASC

DETRIMENT is a traditional way of classifying sign placements of planets.
A planet is said to be in DIGNITY when in the sign it rules :smile:

A planet is said to be in DETRIMENT when in sign OPPOSING sign it rules

As the name implies
DETRIMENT is regarded as an unfortunate placement

A planet in DETRIMENT is traditionally regarded
as being out of harmony with the sign
consequently WEAKENED

and so
in a position of DEBILITY

greybeard

I prefer the word "exile" to debility. Of course we could revert to that good old term "descension".

But really understanding how this "debility" shows up in real people's lives is more important than the word we use to describe the condition.

JUPITERASC

I prefer the word "exile" to debility.
Of course we could revert to that good old term "descension".
But really understanding how this "debility" shows up in real people's lives
is more important than
the word we use to describe the condition.
Exaactly :smile:

greybeard

So it is up to you JUP. You can found and coordinate the astrology study group known as The JUPITER PROJECT. The first theme investigated: "Understanding Planetary Dignities".

You have that special gift for bringing authority to the fore at the appropriate moment. It would be a useful thing to such a focused study group.

JUPITERASC

So it is up to you JUP. You can found and coordinate the astrology study group

known as The JUPITER PROJECT.
The first theme investigated: "Understanding Planetary Dignities".
You have that special gift for bringing authority to the fore at the appropriate moment.

It would be a useful thing to such a focused study group.
GB you are the authority - not I :smile:
lets commence the study on this thread
I'm a student

we need illustrative charts
so do post any you may have
and since I'm the OP

investigative studies on any DETRIMENTED planets are welcome

we are not limited on this thread to DETRIMENTED sun studies
lets investigate

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

During the Chris Brennan podcast with astrologers Helena Avelar and Luis Ribeiro
that is previously linked to
Helena Avelar and Luis Ribeiro explain more regarding MITIGATION :smile:

a traditional concept
which can be applied in the case of a sun in DETRIMENT
or in fact to any planet in DETRIMENT

sworm09

I know people probably get tired of looking at his chart, but I think Adolf Hitler's chart is a good study of dignity, debility, and mitigation!

https://www.astro.com/tmpd/c8rnfilePOMe2B-u1324102868/astro_2atw_adolf_hitler.66195.47202.png

Using the tropical zodiac he has both Mars and Saturn in detriment. However both do very different things in his chart because of mitigating factors, as JupiterAsc mentioned. Ibn Ezra compares detriment to being antagonistic toward oneself. I use the word self destructive or even self hatred.

Mars is the worse off of the two, out of sect and above the Earth, signifying corruption. He's conjunct his ruler and the Asc ruler, Venus, representing Hitler himself. He's in the 8th place, which isn't exactly helpful. It's pretty easy to see how this could be interpreted as self destructive or corrupt tendencies that endanger the native's body and health.

Saturn is in detriment too, but he's of the sect in favor, in a masculine sign, and in his own bound. Saturn might pose some resistance, but I'd say he'd be helpful despite. I interpret this as some degree of difficulty, but success regardless.

Mars square Saturn is the big thing though. Whatever Saturn was trying to do, Mars utterly ruins. The self destructive danger brings Saturn down. Both planets are in detriment, but I think it's interesting that one brought Hitler up to some extent, but the other was potentially indicative of his downfall and eventual death at his own hands.

It's interesting how two planets in detriment can go in two different directions due to mitigation, especially sect.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

I know people probably get tired of looking at his chart, but

I think Adolf Hitler's chart is a good study of dignity, debility, and mitigation!

https://www.astro.com/tmpd/c8rnfilePOMe2B-u1324102868/astro_2atw_adolf_hitler.66195.47202.png

Using the tropical zodiac he has both Mars and Saturn in detriment. However both do very different things in his chart because of mitigating factors, as JupiterAsc mentioned..

Ibn Ezra compares detriment to being antagonistic toward oneself. I use the word self destructive or even self hatred.
Thank you for a very useful rationale and insight!
definitely "self-destructive" is a great way of highlighting the inevitable self-isolation
that is a consequence of "self-hatred"
and links in neatly with GB's preferred term of "exile" :smile:
self-hatred potentially may lead to self-isolation hence "exile"!

Mars is the worse off of the two, out of sect and above the Earth, signifying corruption. He's conjunct his ruler and the Asc ruler, Venus, representing Hitler himself. He's in the 8th place, which isn't exactly helpful. It's pretty easy to see how this could be interpreted as self destructive or corrupt tendencies that endanger the native's body and health.

Saturn is in detriment too, but he's of the sect in favor,

in a masculine sign, and in his own bound.
Saturn might pose some resistance, but
I'd say he'd be helpful despite.

I interpret this as some degree of difficulty, but success regardless.

Mars square Saturn is the big thing though. Whatever Saturn was trying to do, Mars utterly ruins.
The self destructive danger brings Saturn down.
Both planets are in detriment, but
I think it's interesting that one brought Hitler up to some extent, but
the other was potentially indicative of his downfall
and eventual death at his own hands.

It's interesting how two planets in detriment
can go in two different directions due to mitigation, especially sect.

AJ Astrology

A basic understanding of traditional astrology is helpful
in order to understand DETRIMENT

Hi JUPITERASC,

I know we look at it, but I'm not so sure it's real.

If you want a basic understanding of traditional astrology, then we should start with why the celestial bodies are given their signs.

You have 12 signs and 7 celestial bodies. Two of the bodies are luminaries.

The 5 planets are each given 2 signs, a masculine sign for the day, and a feminine sign for the night.

Day/night for the luminaries doesn't make much sense, so Sun is given masculine Leo and Moon feminine Cancer.

But it doesn't end there, because the planets are paired in opposites.

The signs of Mercury oppose the signs of Jupiter, because their natures are contrary. Mercury is logic, and Jupiter philosophy at basic cores. The signs of Venus and Mars oppose because pleasure opposes pain.

Who do Sun and Moon oppose? Saturn. Saturn is the lord of the planets, the big boss planet, so it makes sense that Sun and Moon would have opposing signs.

If you read Teucer of Babylon, he and the astrologers before him never considered detriment.

A body could be dignified in its own sign, and dignified more in its sign of exaltation. It could be harmed by being in the sign opposite its exaltation, but wasn't harmed being opposite its sign of dignity.

I guarantee you the Greeks buggered it up with their buggered up logic. Greek logic, the same logic that gave you "the Earth is flat" and ruined everyone's lives for nearly 2,000 years, is what gave you detriment.

For the Greeks, if the sign opposite exaltation is the fall, then the sign opposite dignity must be detrimental.

It would appear to be logical, but it really isn't. A lot of astronauts have an Aquarian Sun and there are 1,000s and 1,000s of famous people with Aquarian Suns.

If an Aquarian Sun is negative, it's because Sun is in a bad place or Saturn is in a bad place, or because of bad aspects, not because Sun is in Aquarius.

JUPITERASC

Hi JUPITERASC,

I know we look at it, but I'm not so sure it's real.

If you want a basic understanding of traditional astrology, then we should start with why the celestial bodies are given their signs.

You have 12 signs and 7 celestial bodies. Two of the bodies are luminaries.

The 5 planets are each given 2 signs, a masculine sign for the day, and a feminine sign for the night.

Day/night for the luminaries doesn't make much sense, so Sun is given masculine Leo and Moon feminine Cancer.

But it doesn't end there, because the planets are paired in opposites.

The signs of Mercury oppose the signs of Jupiter, because their natures are contrary. Mercury is logic, and Jupiter philosophy at basic cores. The signs of Venus and Mars oppose because pleasure opposes pain.

Who do Sun and Moon oppose? Saturn. Saturn is the lord of the planets, the big boss planet, so it makes sense that Sun and Moon would have opposing signs.

If you read Teucer of Babylon, he and the astrologers before him never considered detriment.

A body could be dignified in its own sign, and dignified more in its sign of exaltation. It could be harmed by being in the sign opposite its exaltation, but wasn't harmed being opposite its sign of dignity.

I guarantee you the Greeks buggered it up with their buggered up logic. Greek logic, the same logic that gave you "the Earth is flat" and ruined everyone's lives for nearly 2,000 years, is what gave you detriment.
Hi AJ
SOME Greeks - not all

'.....The idea of a spherical Earth was floated around by Pythagoras around 500 BC
and validated by Aristotle a couple centuries later.
If the Earth really was a sphere
Eratosthenes could use certain observations he made
to estimate the circumference of the entire planet
Interestingly
Eratosthenes was the head of the library at Alexandria.
and calculated the Earth's circumference
without ever leaving home....' :smile:
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...lexandria-syene-summer-solstice-a8131376.html
For the Greeks, if the sign opposite exaltation is the fall, then the sign opposite dignity must be detrimental.

It would appear to be logical, but it really isn't. A lot of astronauts have an Aquarian Sun and there are 1,000s and 1,000s of famous people with Aquarian Suns.

If an Aquarian Sun is negative, it's because Sun is in a bad place or Saturn is in a bad place, or because of bad aspects, not because Sun is in Aquarius.

david starling

I prefer the word "exile" to debility. Of course we could revert to that good old term "descension".

But really understanding how this "debility" shows up in real people's lives is more important than the word we use to describe the condition.

"Exile" implies lack of authority. IF there is a detrimental situation based on opposite Domicles, it would be more like the Sun is a "Foreign-ruler" of Aquarius--TOO strong, like an invading, conquering power, not debility in the sense of "weakness".

JUPITERASC

"Exile" implies lack of authority.
not necessarily :smile:
does not mean a "lack of authority abroad/far from home"
IF there is a detrimental situation based on opposite Domicles, it would be more like
the Sun is a "Foreign-ruler" of Aquarius
--TOO strong, like an invading, conquering power,
not debility in the sense of "weakness".
on the contrary
Aquarius is domicile aka home of malefic cold, dry, inimical-to-life SATURN
obviously
Hot Suns fiery Leo domicile is its antithesis

AJ Astrology

"Exile" implies lack of authority.

Hi david starling,

I agree. Exile cannot be viewed in the modern sense, because that is anachronistic. Exile has to be viewed at the time it meant the most and had the greatest impact.

The whole purpose of exile was to cut people off from everything they know. Remember, you don't have prisons. If someone commits murder, they're executed, but if they kill someone through accident, negligence, malfeasance or recklessness, they're exiled.

To be exiled means to be cut off from all that you know. You're cut off from your family, friends, other clan members, other tribe members, your gods and their temples and everything else culturally. Language really wasn't an issue because Semitic languages ran a continuum, but culture and custom did not.

That would make any reasonable person very uncomfortable.

Being exiled also means you also don't have any power or authority, because you're an outsider. Being a foreigner with no power or authority, you'd also be prohibited from doing certain things or participating in certain events.

Even so, why treat an Aquarian Sun different than a Pisces Sun?

Sun is either at home in Leo or exiled in a foreign sign.

When information is transmitted cross-culture and cross-language, it often gets misinterpreted. Like I said, the Greeks just wrongfully assumed that if a planet is in fall opposite its exaltation, then it must be harmed in some way when opposite its domicile, but there's no evidence that's true.

not necessarily :smile:
does not mean a "lack of authority abroad/far from home"

on the contrary
Aquarius is domicile aka home of malefic cold, dry, inimical-to-life SATURN
obviously
Hot Suns fiery Leo domicile is its antithesis

Hi JUPITERASC,

Then why isn't Sun in detriment in Capricorn?

Are you suggesting Saturn doesn't rule Capricorn? Sun should be harmed more being in feminine Capricorn than masculine Aquarius.

DETRIMENT is a DEBILITY

DETRIMENT aka something that can cause damage, injury or harm.

You keep saying that, but you have failed to show a single case where it is true.

JUPITERASC

Hi david starling,

I agree. Exile cannot be viewed in the modern sense, because that is anachronistic. Exile has to be viewed at the time it meant the most and had the greatest impact.

The whole purpose of exile was to cut people off from everything they know. Remember, you don't have prisons. If someone commits murder, they're executed, but if they kill someone through accident, negligence, malfeasance or recklessness, they're exiled.

To be exiled means to be cut off from all that you know. You're cut off from your family, friends, other clan members, other tribe members, your gods and their temples and everything else culturally. Language really wasn't an issue because Semitic languages ran a continuum, but culture and custom did not.

That would make any reasonable person very uncomfortable.
reminiscent of the plight of illegal immigrants :smile:
Being exiled also means you also don't have any power or authority, because you're an outsider. Being a foreigner with no power or authority, you'd also be prohibited from doing certain things or participating in certain events.
Quite.
An Illegal immigrants experience

JUPITERASC

Even so, why treat an Aquarian Sun different than a Pisces Sun?
Please read before posting on this board https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120411
i.e.
This is the Traditional Astrology forum
Out of all the different boards in this forum
this one is the home for traditional astrologers :smile:

It was created so that traditional astrologers can discuss traditional astrology with each other
without having to justify it to non-traditionalists
or be interrupted by people disagreeing with traditional perspectives.
When information is transmitted cross-culture and cross-language, it often gets misinterpreted. Like I said, the Greeks just wrongfully assumed that if a planet is in fall opposite its exaltation, then it must be harmed in some way when opposite its domicile, but there's no evidence that's true.
Hi JUPITERASC,
Are you suggesting Saturn doesn't rule Capricorn?
Sun should be harmed more being in feminine Capricorn than masculine Aquarius.
You keep saying that, but you have failed to show a single case where it is true.
AQUARIUS SUN being a state of DETRIMENT evidence includes :smile:
Very Idham Henyansyah AQUARIUS serial killer born February 1st 1978
Jombang, Jawa Timur, Indonesia received a college degree, married Eny Wijaya
had no children, was homosexual
aka the Singing Serial Killer
aka Ryan, the artistic name he adopted while awaiting his execution in prison.
Henyansyah recorded an album and wrote his autobiography while in prison.
Seven pieces of a human body found in bags hidden in two locations
near Ragunan Zoo in South Jakarta on Saturday 12 July 2008.
He was arrested 15 July 2008 Age 30
convicted on 6 April 2009 Age 31
sentenced to death by firing squad at Kesambi Penitentiary, Cirebon, Indonesia.
Henyansyah confessed to murdering 11 people including a toddler.
Henyansyah buried 10 of his victims at his parents' home in the backyard
while the last one was butchered and hidden at the zoo.
He was known to rob, mutilate his victims whom he killed at both his home
and the home of the victim.
He would keep personal items from the victim after the crime.
His autobiography is listed on google books
although there is no way to purchase or preview the book.

JUPITERASC

Hi JUPITERASC,
Are you suggesting Saturn doesn't rule Capricorn?
Sun should be harmed more being in feminine Capricorn than masculine Aquarius.

BobZemco - who no longer comments - once explained that :smile:

Saturn is the farthest Planet away from Sun/Moon.
Saturn is Cold & Dry.
Saturn destroys life.
Saturn undoes what Sun and Moon do.

Saturn rules Capricorn because it is diametrically opposed to Moon,
and rules Aquarius because it is diametrically opposed to Sun.
That's just common sense.

We don't need 7,000 years worth
of natal, horary, electional, mundane, event, profection or solar return charts
to figure that out, since it constantly proves it.

Saturn is a Diurnal Planet because in a Day Chart, the heat negates
some of Saturn's destructive Cold
and he isn't as cranky and might even be only mildly rude after his first cup of tea or coffee
instead of being the Demon from Hell.

JUPITERASC

Vickie Dawn Jackson born Vickie Dawn Carson is an American AQUARIUS serial killer
and Former Nocona nurse born on 13 February 1966 in Indiana, US
She divorced, married and divorced three times.
She had two children, she lost custody of both in 2000
At the time of her crimes she was living with her husband and children
then alone at a house on Henrietta Street, Nocona, Texas, US.
The North Texas hospital where Jackson worked as a nurse
was plagued by a rash of respiratory deaths, the deaths were not considered suspicious :smile:
– until administrators realized vials of mivacurium chloride, a powerful drug
used to temporarily paralyze a patient's ability to breathe
had gone missing.
Investigators eventually focused on Jackson after the hospital administration realized
that she'd been the last one in the dead patients' rooms.
One of the victim was her husband's grandfather.
Jackson was arrested in 2002 after the grand jury indicted her on two counts of capital murder
in the deaths at the Nocona General Hospital.
In 2006, Vickie Dawn Jackson was sentenced to life in prison.
She was arrested on July 16th 2002 Age 36 fter the grand jury indicted her
on two counts of capital murder in the deaths at the Nocona General Hospital.
She was convicted on October 5th 2005 Age 39 sentenced to life imprisonment
at Christina Melton Crain Unit, Gatesville, Texas, US

JUPITERASC

"Weakness" as an influence in the Chart, or

some sort of physical or moral weakness in the person
with a Sun placement in Aquarius?
DETRIMENT is a traditional way of classifying sign placements of planets.
A planet is said to be in DIGNITY when in the sign it rules :smile:

A planet is said to be in DETRIMENT when in sign OPPOSING sign it rules

As the name implies
DETRIMENT is regarded as an unfortunate placement

A planet in DETRIMENT is traditionally regarded
as being out of harmony with the sign
consequently WEAKENED

and so
in a position of DEBILITY

A basic understanding of traditional astrology is helpful
in order to understand DETRIMENT

A Chris Brennan podcast with astrologers Helena Avelar and Luis Ribeiro
about traditional astrology
provides useful information for beginners
Helena and Luís are from Portugal, authors of 2010 book
On the Heavenly Spheres: A Treatise on Traditional Astrology
is a comprehensive introduction to traditional, pre-20th century forms of astrology :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axei1E8Gj_E

one of the first really good introductory books for beginners.
a second book titled Traditional Astrology Course: Essential Concepts
and Interpretation Basics, acts as a companion volume
to their first book, and helps to supplement and expand on some of the concepts
including DETRIMENT