Solar Return and the 8th house

Lykanized

I don't quite understand how a solar return chart works. My birthday is coming up and if I'm correct, that makes a solar return chart more relevant. I erected one on astrodeinst and set the date for my date of birth, July 22, but the year 2019

4 planets are in the 8th house and my north node is there as well. Are these bad omens?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 8.34.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-13 at 8.34.12 PM.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 86

Lykanized

I pay a lot of attention to the north node, so if my north node is in the 8th house in Cancer, does that mean for my solar year, my growth will be to the 8th house and embracing Cancerian energy?
Lots of water, mate

Lykanized

A more positive interpretation of the 8th house energy for my solar year is immense transformation born possibly from pain. I hope that's correct because that's what I want for myself and I'm not one to shy away from pain either, especially for the sake of growth. Sun, Mars, mercury, and Venus are all there, all inner planets, so this transformation must be very overt, I'm thinking? Unavoidable, in my face, unignorable and if I was to ignore it, I'd essentially die. Possibly a complete overhaul and recapturing of my power IF utilized?

I know there are other important aspects to my solar return chart too, it's just that the sheer 8th house energy struck me

conspiracy theorist

From what I remember from your natal, it's going to be a huge year for you on the 4th house front - Sagittarius as natal IC, Sagittarius on the rise in this chart. Jupiter rules both the ascendant and the 4th house in this chart, and is conjunct the ascendant and domicile. The Moon is also looked at as it can give information of another area of focus of the life within the year - Moon is in the 4th adding to previous testimonies. The stress along the 2nd-8th axis, the preponderance of Cancer (another analogue for domestic focus *symbolically*) the oppositions along Cancer and Capricorn and the disposition of the Cancer stellium by the Aries Moon in 4th (conjunct Chiron) sounds like all the transformations, deaths and upheavals will be with regard to the 4th house - which this Solar Return indicates will be the broader area of focus for the year in question. The stress along the 2nd-8th sounds very much related resources and ownership, what is yours vs. what belongs to others and things within that remit.

Do you see any inclinations of this happening currently in your life? Any whispers of future developments?

Last edited:

Lykanized

Here's my natal chart if it matters in analyzing Solar return charts...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.52.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 2.52.08 AM.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 39

Lykanized

From what I remember from your natal, it's going to be a huge year for you on the 4th house front - Sagittarius as natal IC, Sagittarius on the rise in this chart. Jupiter rules both the ascendant and the 4th house in this chart, and is conjunct the ascendant and domicile. The Moon is also looked at as it can give information of another area of focus of the life within the year - Moon is in the 4th adding to previous testimonies. The stress along the 2nd-8th axis, the preponderance of Cancer (another analogue for domestic focus *symbolically*) the oppositions along Cancer and Capricorn and the disposition of the Cancer stellium by the Aries Moon in 4th (conjunct Chiron) sounds like all the transformations, deaths and upheavals will be with regard to the 4th house - which this Solar Return indicates will be the broader area of focus for the year in question. The stress along the 2nd-8th sounds very much related resources and ownership, what is yours vs. what belongs to others and things within that remit.

Do you see any inclinations of this happening currently in your life? Any whispers of future developments?
Before I reply to the rest, how do you view the 4th house? I know it's about home, but the way I've viewed it is definitely as something more symbolic. Almost like the self, the core self, our home in terms of living and being authentically or maybe where we came from at the deepest level. What do you think? Viewing it as a physical home never made much sense to me because my north node natally is in the 4th house and while I don't feel I have a home(I feel like a chronic nomad at heart), I feel as if my real trajectory in life is to my authentic, deepest, core self. If any of that makes sense. I don't view it as something domestic since I'm really not a domestic person at all. Some people also view the moon as the soul so maybe there's something to be said for that

I'll say that there are a lot of money issues right now coming up and that I know will carry much significance in coming months too. Inheritance, family fighting, things of that nature. Physical home isn't stable at the moment either so it's all interesting. 2 malefics in the second house and a huge 8th house presence there, very intriguing

Do you think any part of the 8th house presence could mean personal transformation, death and rebirth, even aside from issues of money and inheritance?

I see a grand fire trine between 1st house Jupiter, 4th house moon/Chiron, and 8th house Mars too. That may be pretty intense, altho I'm not fully sure how to interpret it

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

I lean toward the traditional approach to chart interpretation, one of the more straightforward reasons being that you cannot side-wind your way out of an incorrect read of the chart -- if you say something about the finances of a person, then it is easily verifiable that the statement made about the financial situation of an individual is either correct or incorrect. This doesn't mean that the inner world of psychology, personality and subjective experience isn't attended to, but astrology is ancient and it's spiritual/philosophical legacy has a number of differences to a lot of current day approaches to the occult/esoteric where the physical is under-emphasized and in come cases, disregarded altogether. But I incorporate many modern innovations in my chart reading, some being the edmund jones patters, singletons, stelliums and such.

Astrology has grounding in the hermetic principle 'As above, so below. As within, so without.' So that, in the case of the 4th house - if you have issues surrounding family, your roots, legacy and where you come from in the material, you will also have an issue with the "home within yourself" - the deepest, most fundamental part of yourself; the part that provides the basis for all the other parts of your self. This is the approach that is more congenital to the psychological approach to astrology which is a very recent development, but the hermetic principle has been around for much longer than psychology so isn't farfetched or somehow inconsistent with the "internal structure" of astrology, with how I see it.

I also see the 4th house as a house of endings, burials and death and in the thema mundi, Libra is located at the IC which is the sign where Saturn exalts - The Grim Reaper, harvesting the fruits of your labour/life, adding it to the collective legacy and becoming apart of the ancestral line that provides the basis for the next generation. Looked at from that perspective, death is again re-emphasized.

The energy for deaths and transformations is there, and because you are conscious of it, you can make use of the time of upheaval to also do some internal uprooting and transforming - there is free-will to decide how to interface with the planetary energy, but it's not unlimited free-will, which many think is the case whenever free-will is spoken about.

Osamenor

Staff member
I don't quite understand how a solar return chart works. My birthday is coming up and if I'm correct, that makes a solar return chart more relevant. I erected one on astrodeinst and set the date for my date of birth, July 22, but the year 2019
That's the wrong year, unless you want to skip looking at your upcoming solar return and go straight to your 2019-2020 year. If you want to read for the solar return you're about to have, make it 2018. That will cover the period from your 2018 birthday to your 2019 one.

Did you adjust the reference place? The most common rookie mistake with solar return charts is casting them for your birthplace when you no longer live there. Where you are when you have your solar return determines your SR houses. Unless you still live where you were born, make sure you change the reference place when casting your SR chart.

conspiracy theorist

She mentioned the year 2019 in her OP, which I assume means that she is cognizant that this SR is for next year.

Re: adjusting the birthplace as a mandatory prerequisite to reading an SR located in a different place from the birthplace, this is not something that has to be done and I have read the charts of others with accurate results without the need to change the chart to their current location.

Lykanized

Ok, before I continue analyzing, lemme make sure I am actually doing it correctly...

If I want to get a glimpse into the year ahead after my 25th birthday on the 22nd, my solar year from my 25th birthday(July 2018) to my 26th birthday(July 2019), I am supposed to set the year to 2019, right? Or do I need to change the year to 2018?

My reasoning for thinking 2019 was because that's the direction the heavens will be moving toward whereas if I set the year to 2018, the heavens would be moving away from that astrological state. But perhaps I'm wrong

Lykanized

She mentioned the year 2019 in her OP, which I assume means that she is cognizant that this SR is for next year.

Re: adjusting the birthplace as a mandatory prerequisite to reading an SR located in a different place from the birthplace, this is not something that has to be done and I have read the charts of others with accurate results without the need to change the chart to their current location.

You assumed wrong mr. Theorist. I'm an idiot lol. But I suppose my 2019-2020 year will be an intense one in a good way. I'll put my new chart up when off mobile. My new chart has Pluto in the 4th house and Uranus in 8th, so still some slightly similar themes

And thank you Osamenor

Lykanized

Ok, now here's my actual 2018-2019 solar year chart. I'm still pretty new to astrology in general, but especially new to the idea of the solar return chart, so I'd love any insight into possible significant themes. How do you interpret aspects in a solar return chart, and is part of the analysis of a solar return chart comparing it to the natal chart?

This chart is more all over the place, not much concentrated energy anywhere. I notice Venus in the 12th house, 4th house with two malefics, Pluto and Saturn, and of course 8th house Uranus. I wonder if it's a good thing that my Sun and Mercury are in my 11th house matching my Sun and Merc in my Natal 11th house. My NN is also in the 11th house for my solar year, so I wonder if this means creative endeavors(5th house) are gonna need to be turned into ventures and projects that have an impact on people

I'm very tired at the moment and grossly sleep deprived. Very interested in digging into this and seeing what the heavens are saying about my direction and means of growth :tongue:

Thank you to anyone who can offer any insight

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.58.18 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.58.18 AM.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 38

Osamenor

Staff member
Ok, before I continue analyzing, lemme make sure I am actually doing it correctly...

If I want to get a glimpse into the year ahead after my 25th birthday on the 22nd, my solar year from my 25th birthday(July 2018) to my 26th birthday(July 2019), I am supposed to set the year to 2019, right? Or do I need to change the year to 2018?

My reasoning for thinking 2019 was because that's the direction the heavens will be moving toward whereas if I set the year to 2018, the heavens would be moving away from that astrological state. But perhaps I'm wrong

No, you set the solar return chart for the year when that solar return begins. If you want your 2018-19 year, it begins on your 2018 birthday. Seems you figured that out.

Osamenor

Staff member
You assumed wrong mr. Theorist. I'm an idiot lol. But I suppose my 2019-2020 year will be an intense one in a good way. I'll put my new chart up when off mobile. My new chart has Pluto in the 4th house and Uranus in 8th, so still some slightly similar themes

And thank you Osamenor

The strong themes are what aspects your SR chart makes with your natal planets, and whether there's a cluster of planets anywhere in your SR chart. If there are several planets in a house, the theme of that house is definitely up. Where your SR moon is suggests your emotional focus, and where your SR sun is suggests the focus of your personal development.

If you want to hear an eighth house story: the first time I had my solar return chart done professionally, it was a year when my SR AC was just a few degrees off my natal one, so all the house lined up. Since I have my natal sun in the the eighth, that meant my SR sun was also in the eighth. Like you this year, I also had SR Mercury in the same house as SR and natal suns.

That year felt powerful, and like a homecoming. Probably because I'm an eighth house native and all the houses were lined up, but the highlights of the year included me checking out professional astrology for the first time, and starting an intense course of hypnotherapy a couple months after my birthday. I had also, shortly before my birthday, received reiki attunements, which turned out to be a wilder ride than that usually is.

That was also the year two of my uncles died within five months of each other, so there was some death, but not because I had a very eighth house solar return. If my uncles were going to die right then, they were. Both of them died from medical causes that, at that point, were not reversible, and both of them were at an age when that happens to many. If I'd been somewhere else and not had that SR eighth house concentration, it wouldn't have kept them from dying. I think what my SR chart reflected was me having eighth house kinds of experiences.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Ok, now here's my actual 2018-2019 solar year chart. I'm still pretty new to astrology in general, but especially new to the idea of the solar return chart, so I'd love any insight into possible significant themes. How do you interpret aspects in a solar return chart, and is part of the analysis of a solar return chart comparing it to the natal chart?

This chart is more all over the place, not much concentrated energy anywhere. I notice Venus in the 12th house, 4th house with two malefics, Pluto and Saturn, and of course 8th house Uranus. I wonder if it's a good thing that my Sun and Mercury are in my 11th house matching my Sun and Merc in my Natal 11th house. My NN is also in the 11th house for my solar year, so I wonder if this means creative endeavors(5th house) are gonna need to be turned into ventures and projects that have an impact on people

I'm very tired at the moment and grossly sleep deprived. Very interested in digging into this and seeing what the heavens are saying about my direction and means of growth :tongue:

Thank you to anyone who can offer any insight

How does it align with your natal chart? Personally, I only interpret SR charts if I see them with the natal chart. The natal + solar return with houses option is the one I would use. How an SR chart manifests depends pretty heavily on how it's interacting with the natal.

It sounds like you have your SR houses lined up more or less with your natal houses. My understanding (and related to my own story above) is that gives you some extra oomph.

How have you been living your eleventh house sun? If you're an eleventh house native, the eleventh house is an ongoing theme in your life. My observation of people I know with eleventh house suns is that they tend to be community oriented. They're people who've started communities, co-created communities, keep their communities front and central in their lives. That might be the neighborhood, that might be something about a particular group they fall into--artists' community or queer community or disabled community, for instance--or, in some cases, they see themselves as a community servant, like someone I know who's started a non-profit to serve at risk youth and directed a couple of others.

You mentioned a desire for ventures and projects that have an impact on people. Is that something you've been doing? It sounds very eleventh house to me. Since you're an eleventh house Leo, I see creative work being a likely base for these ventures and projects. You would probably be doing that no matter what your solar return is like, but this year sounds strong for it.

conspiracy theorist

As Osa mentioned, this year has the same house positions as your natal, but also, the fact that Virgo is rising and the Moon is in the 3rd house sounds like a year where there you might find yourself focusing more on your writing - is this something that you have in mind to move forward on during the year?

Lykanized

The strong themes are what aspects your SR chart makes with your natal planets, and whether there's a cluster of planets anywhere in your SR chart. If there are several planets in a house, the theme of that house is definitely up. Where your SR moon is suggests your emotional focus, and where your SR sun is suggests the focus of your personal development.
Yeah, this solar return chart is less concentrated anywhere. The most concentrated energies are in the 4th and 11th houses. 11th is where this solar year's north node is and 4th is where my natal north node is, so that's intriguing. Not sure if it's relevant, tho. My SR moon is in the 3rd house in Sagittarius which, interestingly, is also my natal north node, but that may not be relevant either, I'm just drawing some connections. It makes sense. 3rd house of communication, thoughts. I'm a writer, but I've been in a state of writer's block for a long time that I'm just now getting out of and I also feel like a new theme for me is shamelessness. Showing myself to the world, expressing myself, embracing my power which for me is very much a mental activity, but I can definitely see the 11th house themes seeping through. With 11th house being my solar north node, I'd expect that I may be moving from a place of self expression, creative engagement, to something relevant to the group, to people, to 'my tribe'. Although I always find that notion an odd one. I don't feel like I have a tribe. 11th house is quite confounding, but that is where my sun and mercury are. I can see 11th house is the house of Aquarius and the house of Uranus and Saturn. 11th house seems to place importance on some kind of social evolution or revolution

If you want to hear an eighth house story: the first time I had my solar return chart done professionally, it was a year when my SR AC was just a few degrees off my natal one, so all the house lined up. Since I have my natal sun in the the eighth, that meant my SR sun was also in the eighth. Like you this year, I also had SR Mercury in the same house as SR and natal suns.

That year felt powerful, and like a homecoming. Probably because I'm an eighth house native and all the houses were lined up, but the highlights of the year included me checking out professional astrology for the first time, and starting an intense course of hypnotherapy a couple months after my birthday. I had also, shortly before my birthday, received reiki attunements, which turned out to be a wilder ride than that usually is.

That was also the year two of my uncles died within five months of each other, so there was some death, but not because I had a very eighth house solar return. If my uncles were going to die right then, they were. Both of them died from medical causes that, at that point, were not reversible, and both of them were at an age when that happens to many. If I'd been somewhere else and not had that SR eighth house concentration, it wouldn't have kept them from dying. I think what my SR chart reflected was me having eighth house kinds of experiences.
Natally, my 8th house isn't too active. It's in Aries and my Mars is very active, in my 1st house so I think that does bring in 8th house influence. But that makes me wonder how my next solar year will be. I see myself as constantly transforming, constant little deaths, shedding aspects of the old to harness the new form. But I also see myself as searching for something. I wonder if this year I'll find it and the next solar year that grand revelation will come to its precipice and something major will happen

How does it align with your natal chart? Personally, I only interpret SR charts if I see them with the natal chart. The natal + solar return with houses option is the one I would use. How an SR chart manifests depends pretty heavily on how it's interacting with the natal.

I suppose you've seen my natal chart by now linked above? If not, I'll attach it here...

It sounds like you have your SR houses lined up more or less with your natal houses. My understanding (and related to my own story above) is that gives you some extra oomph.
Yeah, more or less. Ac is in Virgo in my natal and solar return chart, but the degrees are very off so my Mercury is in Leo and while my sun is of course in Cancer, the 11th house is ruled by Leo rather than Cancer like it is natally. No other planets align, but I know the Sun is a big one. What do you mean by extra oomph? Also, I wonder if that's hampered by the fact 11th house is now ruled by its opposite sign

How have you been living your eleventh house sun? If you're an eleventh house native, the eleventh house is an ongoing theme in your life. My observation of people I know with eleventh house suns is that they tend to be community oriented. They're people who've started communities, co-created communities, keep their communities front and central in their lives. That might be the neighborhood, that might be something about a particular group they fall into--artists' community or queer community or disabled community, for instance--or, in some cases, they see themselves as a community servant, like someone I know who's started a non-profit to serve at risk youth and directed a couple of others.
I'm really not community oriented at all. I fail in that department lol. But I'm very dedicated to changing things positively for humanity as a whole. I see what could be and I want to play my part in making it a reality. I'm not a very social creature or people oriented in a direct way. But maybe I need to look at it more abstractly...I'm very interested in connecting with other poets and I feel excited when I do. I'm generally extremely introverted to a fault, but in the right environment, I rise up and feel free

You mentioned a desire for ventures and projects that have an impact on people. Is that something you've been doing? It sounds very eleventh house to me. Since you're an eleventh house Leo, I see creative work being a likely base for these ventures and projects. You would probably be doing that no matter what your solar return is like, but this year sounds strong for it.
Nope. This is my ideal, something I desire, but various things in my life have held me back, or I've let them hold me back. Natally, my 11th house is actually ruled by Cancer, but my focus is still on the creative. I guess this is a year to grow in that way..put into practice what I've been preaching so to speak

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.51.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 8.51.07 PM.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 29

Lykanized

As Osa mentioned, this year has the same house positions as your natal, but also, the fact that Virgo is rising and the Moon is in the 3rd house sounds like a year where there you might find yourself focusing more on your writing - is this something that you have in mind to move forward on during the year?
Definitely... Like I told Osa, I've been in something of a writer's block...well a huge one. And I've been searching and searching for the reason's why. I feel like I'm supposed to just let go now and express myself, stop thinking, just do, be shameless, embrace myself and own my energy. It's my time to get out of that writer's block and just engulf myself in the pure creative energy rather than be inhibited by selfjudgment. Stop hating myself because there's no place for me and just make my place in the world. Connecting with an energy outside me that is me but I've been seemingly disconnected from for a long, long time, something very intangible, but real. This is a spiritual journey. My spiritual journey is telling me that I'm done being in my head and I need to live and experiment with all I've learned and since I'm devoted to writing, writing is a huge part of that, the primary part of it