Which House system do you use? And why do only some houses get aspected?

GemGirl

Hi,

I'm relatively a newbie here and originally enquired about synastry charts for romantic desires that are now shelved however I've started to just look at personal charts now. So I'm wondering which house system do you use?

Placidus
Koch
Equal
Whole S. ???

I'm trying to figure out if I have planets in my 10th or 11th house?

And why are only some houses aspected in a chart? As I don't have any planets in house 2,3,4,5 or 9 and am unsure if I have any in the 10th depending upon which house system I use?

Can anyone help?

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_waiana.5310.125453.png
    astro_w2gw_waiana.5310.125453.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 28
  • horoscopeyourself WT chart.jpg
    horoscopeyourself WT chart.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 24

CapAquaPis

One house system is different from the other: Like my Jupiter and Mars in 3rd is interpreted as 2nd in another opposite my Mercury in 9th interpreted as 8th. Placidus and Koch are the best house systems, but I was referring to Equal or divided into 12 exact portions (the cusp, in mine, is every 17' 33" on that one).

greybeard

Different house systems give different points of view on mundane affairs. I've used Placidus for the past near-5 decades: works for me. You might consider Whole Sigkn.

Your chart:
You have planets in houses 1, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12.

The opposition of Mercury to Mars right across the horizon is one key element.

Oh. There are 12 houses but only 10 planets. Not all houses can be occupied. Houses are "read" by referring to the lord of the sign on the cusp of the house.

Last edited:

wan

I use astrolabe's website and I believe they use the Placidus system. I also dabbled a bit in whole signs. But I am still unsure, though. It seems to me that both systems work, just in different situations.

greybeard

Here is your dilemma as a beginner...

You have to choose a house system from among a couple of dozen systems which you don't understand.

So, use what many or most experienced astrologers use. Later, with experience, you can experiment and choose with some understanding.

I would recommend Whole Sign or Placidus. Other systems include Regiomontanus, Koch and Campanus. I assume you are using the tropical zodiac.

I use Placidus (47 years) and like that it produces intercepted signs. Also, the house cusps seem to give good results with directions and transits, one test for house systems.

I once did a horary for a death question and the Placidus 8th natal cusp appeared on the horary (crisis) chart Asc, showing that the chart was radical (very) and that the Placidus houses are valid.

Select your house system, then use it consistently and with confidence.

Last edited:

Lin

I whole heartedly agree. Choose the system which most astrologers use and get comfortable with it. Later, when you are very comfortable with reading charts, you might want to experiment with other systems.

Just one thing never to be forgotten: your LIFE doesn't change depending upon the house system you use. Only the WAY to reach the same conclusions as those using other systems.
LIN

Last edited: