Heinz Kohut, Self Psychology, and Leo's Ruler

parallaxkiller

I've recently been getting really into Self psychology. For those who don't know, self psychology is a psychoanalytic theory (quite popular with many psychoanalysts) developed by Heinz Kohut in the 70s. I'll try to stay away from Kohut's technical jargon so this post will be accessible to everyone.

I often see the sun defined as simply the Self. This is quite accurate, as the sun's characteristics (ambition, creativity, free self-expression, energy/enthusiasm) are associated with a strong Self, if you define the Self as Kohut does. According to Kohut, a healthy Self will exhibit all these traits, not look for validation from others, and be able to soothe itself when it's self-esteem is injured.

I sometimes see Leos characterized as exhibiting minor narcissistic tendencies, even in high grade astrology books.

>Leo can feel that it doesn't exist without an audience

~ Aspects in Astrology, Sue Tompkins, page 79

>this explains why people with fire signs dominant in their charts are so self-centered

~ Astrology Psychology & the Four Elements, Stephen Arroyo

>Leo is... inflated with their lofty thoughts

~ Anthologies Book I, Vettius Valens; source (http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/Vettius Valens entire.pdf)

In my opinion, this shows an inconsistency between traits astrologically associated with narcissistic tendencies are, in psychoanalysis, inconsistent. Leo has all the traits of a healthy Self (its ruler), except for the most important one- healthy levels of narcissism.

I'm not saying that the sun doesn't rule Leo, but this definitely warrants some discussion in my opinion.