When to exercise and workout?

AstroAries

I have been experimenting with astrology and physical fitness. I have been using planetary hours. For instance, I try to workout during a Mars hour as Mars would rule physical fitness. I did however read that alot of bodybuilders have Mars conjunct Saturn. Mars would bring energy and Saturn would bring structure and discipline. I do not have such a placement in my chart but I would still like to get stronger. So I figured that since Saturn was associated with the 10th house, I would try to do my workouts when my natal Mars is in the 10th or when MC is conjunct, trine, or sextile my natal Mars. Well I worked out when MC was conjunct my Mars the other day and it kind of seemed to work but I don't know for sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Coming from a strictly functional perspective, you were much better off exercising during the hour of Mars since it happens everyday. Unless of course you're saying you were working out with the transiting MC was in aspect to your natal planet, which is completely unheard of.

The rules for continuing regimens are different from those used to begin regimens which causes a bit of a problem in discussion, but all-in-all I think working out in the hours of Mars or those of your first house ruler will be the best. I would avoid Saturn (unless he is your L1) because the Saturnian physical body type is much more lean appearing malnourished, which is clearly not what you're going for.

AstroAries

Yes I meant the daily transit of the MC conjunct my natal Mars. My first house is in Leo. I don't want to be really bulky like a bodybuilder, in fact I'm relatively small at 5'6" 150 lbs. My main goal is to gain strength and definition with just a little bulk. But I read how a good bodybuilding aspect is Mars conjunct Saturn which Arnold Schwarzenegger has.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Okay, cool. You could work out during the hours of Mars or the Sun, but I don't recommend both since they follow each other. You'd probably tire yourself out.

Remember; 8-10 reps for size, 12-15 for lean! Be careful!

icequeen

I think you can use harmonious aspects of moon with your pluto as well. Pluto would be the Mars replacement and Moon would make you emotionally invested. Also Moon+Mars

AstroAries

Hmm, Pluto is associated with death, money, secrecy. Do you really think it can replace Mars? I think I agree with you about the moon though, I might experiment with it. My moon is in Pisces in the 8th house and Pluto in Scorpio in the 3rd house.

icequeen

I was thinking take advantage of Pluto's enormous *drive*. Pluto makes you WANT things AND follow through. Differently than Moon makes you want things, and differently than Mars makes you follow through.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I think you can use harmonious aspects of moon with your pluto as well. Pluto would be the Mars replacement and Moon would make you emotionally invested. Also Moon+Mars

From what I understand, this sounds like a good way to make someone obsessive over something. Excessive Exercise Disorder is a pretty scary thing (when I was a tyke my stepdad was a personal trainer and he exhibited some signs of this), so I would be extremely careful using Pluto or the Moon.

I have been experimenting with astrology and physical fitness. I have been using planetary hours. For instance, I try to workout during a Mars hour as Mars would rule physical fitness. I did however read that alot of bodybuilders have Mars conjunct Saturn. Mars would bring energy and Saturn would bring structure and discipline. I do not have such a placement in my chart but I would still like to get stronger. So I figured that since Saturn was associated with the 10th house, I would try to do my workouts when my natal Mars is in the 10th or when MC is conjunct, trine, or sextile my natal Mars. Well I worked out when MC was conjunct my Mars the other day and it kind of seemed to work but I don't know for sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

So, AstroAries:

I've never heard of any athlete... timing the workout to a single planetary hour, except in a critical athletic competition, as anything else would not likely be very practical.

We have to balance the astrology knowledge... with everyday reality !

Even before that, one must have an athletic, exercise philosophy !

For example, are you leading a balanced life, with proper work, relationship, finances, exercise, fitness, fresh air ?

If NOT, why not ! A lot of you need to get your sh*t together, so you can actually make fitness part of your daily routine.

I know that this seems strange coming from me, but I can kiss western astrology "goodbye" at any time and send it packing, actually, just like any human being, to be honest.

I can send it packing because, in humanistic astrology, we teach that PEOPLE are more important than planets.

However, athletes, especially of a professional nature, do prefer to train on a certain day of the week, and a certain time of day, which is feasible, but astrologically feasible is NOT necessary !

The FIRST day and hour of one's training, is INDEED astrologically relevent, and all progression of that training regimen should FOLLOW that initial EVENT CHART planetary configuration, through artificially progressing the event chart.

You should, however ? before following a particular course of athletic action, plan a complete training course as to duration, length of training, warm-up and cooldown, as well as personal expectations and goals.

Why ? Because all athletes must have a goal. Sport is goal driven, not doing sports just for the h*ll of it ?

However, to "hen-peck" or "hairsplit" your training regimen to a certain planatary hour is probably a waste of time !

Before working out, please go to you family doctor and ask if you are well enough to train in a gym, especially if you have led a sedentary lifestyle for a long time.

The planetary hour is not important. You can increase hammer strength, aerobic capacity and flexibility AT ANY TIME, even if the MOON is upside down !

What type of athlete are you ? Are you a professional calibre or just an recreational amateur ?

If just an amateur, then you MUST pay attention to your diet, caloric intake, fluid intake, the duration of the workout, and what you actually do in the workout, just as much as the astro timing of the workout.

If you wish results in terms of increasing personal hammer strength or endurance, then you will need to utilize KNOWN scientific principles that go beyond astrology alone ?

In other words, you should "marry" the astrological knowledge with the knowledge of sport science to maximize your workout experience.

Just utilizing astrology alone, (in my opinion) will not maximize hammer strength. muscle mass, standing heart rate, etc.

And if you wish to be a champion, you will not find it through astrology alone.

Champions must nurture that dream, first., in their hearts and have an unshakeable might.

Many give up, way too easily. Most of us are soft, and without discipline ?

I am a long time, government certified fitness instructor (20 years plus) who is also a well known assistant coach for the national team of my particular sport.

As a former trainer of champions, and having dealt with virtually thousands of athletes of all levels, I can tell you that there is actually an natal chart signature for athletes.

Natal Mars trine, sextile, or square natal Uranus is a very good starting point for athletic ability.

Natal Moon in any aspect with Mars is also very good.

Mars and Pluto is also good, But if found in square or opposition, take note that you could be a thug or bully in disguise and you might eventually die by the sword that you also live by ?

Regarding body-building, natal Mars and Saturn prominent would seem right, but both of those planets need not be configured in the planetary hour to train successfully.

If any further questions, you are very welcome to ask.

Finally, exercise and sport must be a life long activity, and not just a one time event thrown away ?

Unfortunately, we live in a sedentary world where internet and smart phones are king, but that technology is virtually killing people everyday !

Have the discipline to shut off that computer and phone and return to the basic nature, such as engaging in physical activity, even if it is walking, dancing, or gardening.

Three times a week, 20 minutes a day is the MINIMUM standard !

Finally, avoid FADS and gimmicks. Do lose weight, 2 pounds a week or 8 pounds a month is AMPLE !

Anything more can be dangerous.

Avoid performance enhancing drugs (ped's?) to obtain athletic fitness !

good luck,

cheers,

-HM

Last edited:

AstroAries

Wow, that's kind of harsh and I must say I have to disagree with you on some points.

Just because you have never heard an athlete use planetary hours doesn't mean it doesn't work. I like to think it's an original idea of mine as well.

The type of exercise I do is high intensity; alot of weight with few reps doing squats, deadlift, and bench press so I only need to do this 2 or 3 times a week.

I have found western astrology to be very relevant. Just because you like humanistic astrology more, doesn't make it the best. there is a place for all types of astrology.

FYI I do have a goal and I want to make sure that I am working at it at the best possible time.

I do not need to see a doctor just to get the "ok" to workout. I am in good physical condition and health.

Certain astrological positions do have a physical effect.

I eat healthy but I am not afraid to enjoy a slice of pizza once in a while. I have never monitored my calories and I've always been fine.

I have studied both physical fitness and astrology so I have a general idea of what I'm doing, but I would like to get some more opinions on when the best time to do it would be.

Just because you have never heard an athlete use planetary hours doesn't mean it doesn't work. I like to think it's an original idea of mine as well.

AstroAries:

You are a defensive person who obviously has their nose out of joint over something quite small.

You still don't tell us if you are just a recreational athlete or someone more serious ?

Unless you are a professional athlete or trainer, why should it matter whether you use the correct planetary hour or not ?

I am a professional coach, so my livelyhood is obviously connected with my overall fitness, but the planetary hour is irrelevant.

I think that your idea, while perhaps original, is VERY impractical, but please re-read my post. I NEVER SAID that planetary hours "don't work !"

To check out the planetary hour every time that I work out would be impractical for me, especially if I work out several times a week and also have to sandwich my workouts between a busy, 60 hour a week day job or career. like myself.

I am also quite wary of people who use astrology for a silly purpose, such as consulting astrology before going to the bathroom, and people who test astrology such as "read my natal chart and guess what it is," etc.

And, by the way, I am a western tropical astrologer, as well as a humanistic astrology and astrology coach, so please go and do your research before trash talking an expert !

Regarding getting a Doctor to ascertain fitness to work out, that doesn't apply to you, obviously, but many on this site are perhaps not your age, either ?

HM

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Hi AstroAries

AstroAries said:

It isn't necessarily "original", but it isn't something that is done a lot. A couple of years ago I started scheduling my days out around the planetary hours. This kept me from sitting down to do one thing and then next thing I know three hours have gone by! (You know, I probably should get back on this since I'm self-employed again.) I did schedule my exercise times during the Mars hour.

I think the key, though, is making a schedule and sticking to it. Of course, that schedule is however you want to make it. If you have scheduled exercise at 2pm then you should exercise at 2pm assuming you're feeling well. If you have exercised scheduled during the hour of Mars, then you should exercise during the hour of Mars assuming that you are able.

One thing that I've learned in my studies of electional astrology is that each moment in time is different from the one before, this is something we all implicitly agree to when we become astrologers. Therefore, there are some times that are more conducive to particular endeavors than others. For example, I used Venus hours to clean and Mercury hours to study, because those times are more naturally conducive to those activities. So it should also go that exercise and fitness is something that is easier to do in the hour of Mars. That "ease" can manifest itself in several ways. Perhaps it is easier to stay motivated. Easier to follow through. Easier to obtain results. Easier to do it all.

I would say go for it. At the very least you aren't going to hurt anything. The only difficulty is that the planetary hours can often happen at inconvenient times, which is why I also suggested the hour of your Ascendant ruler as an alternative.

Take care and let us know how you feel about it after trying it for a couple of weeks!

AstroAries

Yea I'm doing the same thing. For instance I play mental games online to keep my mind sharp and I always try to do them during a Mercury hour. When I want to call family,conduct personal hygiene, or when I am in the mood for flirting and checking out girls, I try to do that during a Venus hour:wink: Or when I am doing work, gardening, or repair, I try to do that during a Saturn hour. It does make time go by faster.

Last edited:

Inline

One thing that I've learned in my studies of electional astrology is that each moment in time is different from the one before, this is something we all implicitly agree to when we become astrologers.

Therefore, there are some times that are more conducive to particular endeavors than others. For example, I used Venus hours to clean and Mercury hours to study, because those times are more naturally conducive to those activities. So it should also go that exercise and fitness is something that is easier to do in the hour of Mars.

Hi Kaiousei no Senshi, medical astrology is finding some strong backing inside Britain...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ce-crisis-taking-pressure-doctors-nurses.html