When a planet is placed exactly on the cusp of a house- what house is impacted more?

Januarystorm

In your experience, when a planet is placed exactly on the cusp of a house- to what house will most of the planets energy's be directed?

i ask this because i thought about houses that are very different in their nature- and if it concerns a planet that is personal- it seems very strange how such a placement would work

for example having the moon around on the cusp of the 9th house but still technically being in the 8th- well the 8th and the 9th are extremely different houses, and the moon is representative of one's mother (one of the many things the moon represents of course- but this is one of them) so moon in the 8th is usually a position that presents itself difficulties and have a more negative connotation- especially concerning the mother, on the other hand the 9th house stands for expansion, luck, travel, religion, higher education- and having the moon in the 9th is overal mostly considered a more beneficial placement

so how would you say you have seen this work out?

this can also apply for example to planets being in a house in placidus- and in another house in whole signs, i have always wondered how that can be interpreted and especially if it concerns houses of very different natures- which lets be honest they almost all are so..

i would really appreciate insight in to this!

:pouty:

HoldOrFold

Planets conjunct a house cusp powerfully resonate with the house it's on the cusp of. But you have to use a decent house system to get the cusps right, and that's where you have differences of opinion.

I took a course awhile ago from a particularly experienced astrologer who noticed the strong effects of planets on cusps from his work with over 10,000 clients. He noticed this specifically with the Porphyry and Equal house systems. So if he sees a planet on a cusp in either of those systems, he sees the planet as being amplifed, the house as being amplified and any houses the planet rules as being amplified. Seeing a planet conjunct the AC or MC, you don't really have a question of what house that planet is resonating strongly with usually. It's the same for intermediary house cusps but you have to use a house system with reputable cusps.

I've since taken on board his techniques myself since I have a lot of respect for this guy's experience, and I've noticed this working in my life and the charts of others. But note, Placidus is not used here.

This guy also uses whole signs. So he uses 3 house systems, but for the cusps he's using equal and porphyry.

re: planets being different across different house systems, they can have mixed effects across multiple houses or be particularly strong in a house if in the same house across the 3 house systems. My whole sign 10th ruler is in the 5th, I've worked selling entertainment package for television. My porphyry/placidus ruler of the 10th is on the cusp of the 6th, I eventually got into technology and am working on a tech startup company with a colleague. etc., you can notice interesting things like this when you study with different houses for awhile.

Barely anyone uses multiple house systems at the moment, but it will be the future of astrology. Thousands of astrologers swear by one house system, thousands swear by another. It logically implies that several house systems are having an effect on different layers.

JUPITERASC

In your experience, when a planet is placed exactly on the cusp of a house- to what house will most of the planets energy's be directed?

i ask this because i thought about houses that are very different in their nature- and if it concerns a planet that is personal- it seems very strange how such a placement would work

for example having the moon around on the cusp of the 9th house but still technically being in the 8th- well the 8th and the 9th are extremely different houses, and the moon is representative of one's mother (one of the many things the moon represents of course- but this is one of them) so moon in the 8th is usually a position that presents itself difficulties and have a more negative connotation- especially concerning the mother, on the other hand the 9th house stands for expansion, luck, travel, religion, higher education- and having the moon in the 9th is overal mostly considered a more beneficial placement

so how would you say you have seen this work out?

this can also apply for example to planets being in a house in placidus- and in another house in whole signs, i have always wondered how that can be interpreted and especially if it concerns houses of very different natures- which lets be honest they almost all are so..

i would really appreciate insight in to this!

:pouty:
keep in mind that House location of a natal planet can change,
dependent on the house system chosen
easily verify at astro.com's Extended Chart Selection Page
fourteen of the more popular house systems currently in use are available options
Placidus is simply the default
to view for yourself how that works in practice create your natal chart
using WHOLE SIGN HOUSES option

then
compare with the same natal chart using the Placidus option
Whole Sign House ascendant sign becomes the whole first house
and the other houses follow.
The ASCENDANT POINT ITSELF can then fall anywhere in the first house
and
MIDHEAVEN POINT anywhere in the upper half of the chart
There are at least twenty or thirty different house systems
or means of dividing the so-called "birthchart"
into twelve segments of life activity.
In astrology, houses, mansions, or domains
represent general areas of life activity
and are the grounding areas or arenas of expression for planets.
Originally, the words "houses" and "signs" were interchangeable :smile:
A planet in the SIGN of Aries
was also a planet in the HOUSE of Aries
so that in effect houses as we know them today did not exist
Artificial divisions now known as houses
were attempts by early Greeks and Hindus
to measure strength "points" in the horoscope
which during 7th and 8th centuries AD were construed
or confused
as means of dividing the birth chart.

The ascendant and midheaven degrees and their opposites
were definite power points
or areas of intense focus
but not necessarily the beginnings of a house or quadrant
The Whole Sign House system was used by the ancient Greeks
and the Hindus (who still use it today).
It is the oldest and simplest house system in existence
and immediately eliminates the awful mess
astrologers have made on the issue over the last 1300 years or so

PREVIOUS DISCUSSION ON THIS TOPIC IS CONSIDERABLE
AND INCLUDES:

WHOLE SIGNS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42163

WHOLE SIGN OR PLACIDUS http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39669

JUPITERASC

Planets conjunct a house cusp powerfully resonate with the house it's on the cusp of. But you have to use a decent house system to get the cusps right, and that's where you have differences of opinion.

I took a course awhile ago from a particularly experienced astrologer who noticed the strong effects of planets on cusps from his work with over 10,000 clients. He noticed this specifically with the Porphyry and Equal house systems. So if he sees a planet on a cusp in either of those systems, he sees the planet as being amplifed, the house as being amplified and any houses the planet rules as being amplified. Seeing a planet conjunct the AC or MC, you don't really have a question of what house that planet is resonating strongly with usually. It's the same for intermediary house cusps but you have to use a house system with reputable cusps.

I've since taken on board his techniques myself since I have a lot of respect for this guy's experience, and I've noticed this working in my life and the charts of others. But note, Placidus is not used here.

This guy also uses whole signs. So he uses 3 house systems, but for the cusps he's using equal and porphyry.

re: planets being different across different house systems, they can have mixed effects across multiple houses or be particularly strong in a house if in the same house across the 3 house systems. My whole sign 10th ruler is in the 5th, I've worked selling entertainment package for television. My porphyry/placidus ruler of the 10th is on the cusp of the 6th, I eventually got into technology and am working on a tech startup company with a colleague. etc., you can notice interesting things like this when you study with different houses for awhile.

Barely anyone uses multiple house systems at the moment, but it will be the future of astrology. Thousands of astrologers swear by one house system, thousands swear by another. It logically implies that several house systems are having an effect on different layers.

ALTERNATIVELY :smile:

Cusps:Today (and for the past thousand years or so) we define cusps as "borders" (coasts), but that is not the original meaning of the word "cusp": it means "point" such as cuspal teeth (bicuspids) and the point of a sword

- so originally the term cusp meant the "point" of something, and in astrology originally the "cusp" of the house meant its "point";

now, when quadrant systems were developed, this "point" of the house came to mean its "beginning", which later came to mean its "border", ie, the "border" between one house and the other.

And later astrology also began using these "borders" (cusps) for various prognostic applications (Charles Carter came to believe that, for timing of events, the "cusps" of the Campanus house system gave the best results, among the various quadrant house systems)

But now notice this: in whole sign the cusps are NOT the 0 degree "borders" of sign/houses at all, and never were so regarded!

In whole sign, the "cusp" retained its original meaning, not as a "border" but rather as A POINT

-and that POINT (cusp) for EACH house, was the sensitive point of that house, viz, the sensitive point in whole sign houses-each house-that is the "cusp" of each house-is a direct projection from the ascending degree.

Example:
-the ascending degree of a chart is 18 Taurus: what are the house cusps (sensitive points, original meaning of the word "cusp") in the whole sign houses of this chart?
Cusp of 1st house = 18 Taurus
Cusp of 2nd house = 18 Gemini
Cusp of 3rd house = 18 Cancer
Cusp of 4th house = 18 Leo
Cusp of 5th house = 18 Virgo
Cusp of 6th house = 18 Libra
Cusp of 7th house = 18 Scorpio
Cusp of 8th house = 18 Sagittarius
Cusp of 9th house = 18 Capricorn
Cusp of 10th house = 18 Aquarius
Cusp of 11th house = 18 Pisces
Cusp of 12th house = 18 Aries

Now it is these "cusps" (sensitive degrees, original meaning of the word "cusp" as a "point") that are (and were) used for progressions, timing of events, etc, and the fact is that they work for these purposes, quite well (in expert hands)

Whole sign does not use the BORDERS between houses (always 0 degree of any sign) for anything, but it DOES use "cusps" (points in the house, projected from the exact ascending degree) for timing (and other) delineative purposes.

Whole sign suddenly vanished (both in the West and in Vedic astrology) during the same period of time-ie, late 8th to early 9th century - this sudden disappearance suggests a sudden turn in astrological thinking and practices, rather than a gradual supplanting of a less effective traditional method (whole sign) by a new and more effective method (rheotrius/alchabitius in the West, and the closely related to whole sign Equal house, in Vedic astrology)

For me, there is only 1 reason I switched to whole sign-it worked better (FOR ME)

I could care less if it were the oldest house system (which it is) or whether it was invented by Badda Bing at Barney's Beanery in Bayonne, 10 years ago: only things I consider are:
-does it seem to make sense?
-does it "taste good" to me (ie, does it "feel right" to me)
-and, if yes to the above, does it work (producing delineations and predicitions) better than what I have previously been doing?

Well, whole sign did all that, for me, so I switched; but I am not going to try to convince anyone of anything about it, except for beginners
-to you who might just be starting out, I would say: try whole sign first, and see how well it might work for you...

Frisiangal

The biggest difference between the 8th and 9th houses is that 8th STILL refers to dealing with others in one's life, whereas the 9th house is the personal opinions/philosophies/way of life evolving from the effect of others upon them.

A natal Moon on the 9th house cusp will move into that house within a month or two of birth. What does this say about the (conditions of)
biological mother? What aspects are made from Moon?

The Moon represents the impressions of outer stimuli (others, especially women?) upon, and how it reacts to them.
Is the child tied through emotional memory (Moon) of the biological mother, whereby its philosophies are bound by hers? Does country of (her) birth enter into it? Or, is it impressed by the life philosophies of others deemed 'wiser' than itself, that it follows?

Criminality falls under the 8th house; 9th house is the house of further education, 'get rich', benefits of all kinds., and the law of the land. How does Moon react under such circumstances?

It can also apply to planets in retrograde motion that take days (= years) or months to turn direct before actually entering the 9th house.
Imho, in such cases the 8th house would have more of an effect from birth.
Moon never has retrograde motion.

I would think that the type of house system used depends upon the mindset of the astrologer involved. :wink: