Interpreting Stelliums

Davi_Alan

Hello Everyone,

Back a while ago I posted a chart asking for advice in interpreting a chart of a friend who had a stellium in his 6th house, ruled by Aquarius:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54681

Basically, what I wanted to know was how to interpret a stellium. If the planets are too close together, it would seem to me that their energies couldn't be expressed or would somehow confuse with each other to the point where you can't distinguish them one from the other, and they act as just one single thing? But what would a practical implication of that be in terms of interpreting a chart? I can't just tell a person, "Sorry, you're planetary energies are just all jumbled up in this house and it's just a mess" or can I? There has to be some way of interpreting that in terms of what that would mean for events regarding that area.

Does anyone here have any actual working experience with stelliums when working with clients? Sorry, don't wanna sound rude, just asking how many professionals or very experienced astrologers are here on the forum that would have experience in working with clients who've had stelliusm. What did you learn from this?

This has ceased to be just a mere curiosity in order to help out in the interpretation of a friend's chart and has acutally become a dillema in my head. Could someone please...enlighten me. hihihihihi...

Caro

I would be interested in the replies.

a friend has asked me to look at her chart. She has a stellium in aries in 11th house. She says she is not a typical aries! its that comment that has thrown me! Uranus is currently transiting this stellium - gone over venus and soon to hit mercury. gemini asc(sagi desc) hints at someone who wants a lot of personal freedom.

I think one view would be that she has a fixed nature(11th house of aqua) she also has mars in taurus and jupiter in leo!! her moon in the 5th house too.

chart shows clairaudient abilities.

StillOne

I'm not even sure I'd consider that a stellium since the orb is rather wide... Also, I'm pretty new to astrology so you may want to take the following with a grain of salt.

What I've been doing when I see stelliums is to research all of the conjunctions and what they mean seprately first. So in this case I would look first to the Mars/Venus conjunction and get a good interpretation.
Then look to what Venus conjunct Saturn means and then Mars conjunct Saturn. This would give you a good feel for how all the conjunctions operate seperately. Then use the principles of those energies and fuse them together. So in this instance Saturn would be applying some limitation/discipline to the matters of Venus and Mars in the 5th house Aqua possibly dampening their expression there.

Hope this helped and I'm interested in hearing how others deal with stelliums since they are seen quite a bit.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
stelliums, to Davi

Davi,

StillOne said:
I'm not even sure I'd consider that a stellium since the orb is rather wide...

I agree with this...I don't see any stelliums (three or more planets in conjunction) in this chart. Personally, I consider stelliums as a "clump" of energy where all the energy is combined together. I have a 5 planet stellium in my chart, and that's how it seems to work...all the energy comes out in big "clump". Stelliums on one of the 4 points (e.g., Asc, Desc, IC, or MH) are the strongest (in my chart it's on the Ascendant so there is a strong "self" focus to my energy).

Stelliumistically,

Tim

theV

Re: stelliums, to Davi

I have asked some of my friend here and they told me I have stellium in the 5th H how do you interpret it

Stellium = :moon::jupiter::pluto:

However If I don't have I put a lot of energies and focus on the 5th House stuff

greybeard

Re: stelliums, to Davi

Here's a Stellium for you:

14 Nov 1989; 1500; Brownsville, Texas.

Four planets in Capricorn,..Saturn, Neptune and Venus in partile conjunction (Saturn and Neptune adhering to the strict definition of partile, with Venus at 61 minutes away in the earlier degree.....Uranus is about 5 degrees earlier than Venus, but adds to the mess by being only 2 degrees off the MC. Add to this the opposition of Neptune to Jupiter in Cancer, to the minute of arc.

What to do?

1. Saturn disposes the stellium. He is in his own natural house as well, so is very well-placed and powerful. Look up the word "dispose" in the dictionary; it is what princes and kings do, and other sorts of rulers as well.

2. Neptune is not well placed in Capricorn. The planet and sign are of contrary natures. But the conjunction to Saturn is partile, in the 11th degree of the sign, distant by only 5 minutes of arc, having just perfected. Here there is perfect union; Saturn, although he rules the stellium, cannot escape the influence of Neptune. They act as one. The opposition to Jupiter from Neptune is to the minute of arc, and this points out the power of Neptune in the whole configuration. It is therefore this partile conjunction, rather than Saturn alone, which is dominant.

3. Venus is not well-placed in Capricorn. She is in the 10th degree, applying at 61 minutes. Venus is a personal planet, with the other three being social planets (heavy bodies which are very powerful in effect), so she will be the planet most affected, and through which the effects of the stellium will be made most apparent.

4. Uranus is not well-placed in Capricorn, but dynamically he is the most powerful planet in the stellium due to his proximity to the MC. But Saturn rules the show.

5. The extraordinary (superlative) concentration of these planets (the weight falls on the 11th degree, because by direction or progression Venus will contact Saturn and Neptune about a year after birth, meaning that psychologically the three will be deeply imprinted), is -- in and of itself -- highly significant. Because this chart contains two separate stelliums (very rare), I suggest we study the inherent characteristics of the conjunction, without regard for any particular planet, as a dominant dynamic of the personality.

6. Because the chart is so concentrated -- there are three distinct groups of planets, an nothing more -- the chart is cleary "unusual" in its overall form. Therefore, the native must also be clearly unusual, and in fact "abnormal" or "deviant"...the chart indicates a special genius, a very unique sort of person. This fact should guide our interpretation of the stelliums.

7. The 8th House stellium also contains its own lord (I use Mars). Each of the stelliums, altough tied together by aspect, can operate independently of the other.

8. There are four partile aspects in this chart: Saturn-Neptune, Saturn-Jupiter, Neptune-Jupiter and Moon-Pluto. Very rare. I happen to believe that such charts show deep psychological imbalance (Bobby Fischer, the chess champion, had such a chart).

9. The quincunx of Moon to Pluto stands out starkly. My bet...understanding its meaning will open the box. It will illuminate the Capricorn stellium.

It is not my interest here to examine this particular chart, except to point out how I go about the analysis, if it is of any help to you. Each chart, each stellium, must be approached as a unique organic whole.

The interpretation of the stellium is always complex and difficult. But by using the ancient doctrines we can usually sort out "who does what to whom." We can usually find a predominant planet in the group whose influence will make him the greatest among equals.

Last edited:

tautomer

I'll use myself as an example here since my chart contains 2 stelliums. Albeit one of them is a generational stellium, so I will focus on the main one. My chart is here for refrence.

I have an 8th house stellium of my taurus sun, and gemini mercury, venus, and jupiter. One of the first things to look at, is what house the stellium occupies, and see how much of an effect it can have. My chart is organized in such a way that the 8th house, scorpio, and pluto are rather important. Because of this, the house that my stellium takes place in has a very influencial effect over the planets in it. My sun is the odd one out, double over, so this causes me to not appear like a taurus at all. However, you could have another chart where the house that the stellium occurs in, is actually not part of an overall theme, or isn't higlighted as much, and as such the sign the planets are in themselves can have the overriding effect.

I kind of look at stelliums as a series of amplifiers and microphones put in close region to each other. When one makes noise, it echos through the other, and sometimes can echo back. Sometimes, they all make noise and it can be overpowering and overwhelming. As others have pointed out, the planets sort of merge in a way, and their energies have undefined borders.

In mine, mercury rules my stellium because it's in gemini, it's home sign. One of the biggest parts of my stelliums is communication, and how I communicate and subsequently bring my internal world out. The energy of the sun drives my core and total essence to do this. I feel compelled to share myself with most. Venus insures that I do this in a esthetically pleasing way, and that others well receive what I am trying to share. Jupiter overall amplifies this energy together. As it expands what ever it touches, and it is the source of my charts yod, it is always driving my stellium to stay "on" and ever-search for the perfect way to share my world with others. The 8th house though, paints a "dark" or hidden layer to all of this, and this layer is quite thick. So much so that it's actually often problamatic for me to get my interworld out. Mercury is also at exact inconjunct uranus exact so I am ever-searching for the perfect way to outlet this, only to have it work incorrectly at first.

My 8th house stellium actually inconjuncts my 3rd house stellium 4 times, so these two are very linked and they do not understand each other at all.

Anyway, I'll stop there. You more or less get the idea. The essence is, look at the planets in the stellium, what sign it is, and what house it is. "merge" all of that, and picture ways in which they would function combined. Mine involves communication, and depth/dark. As such, my communication methods are often increndibly verbose, information dense, and not what you would consider light. Once you iron that out, see what aspects hit the stellium, that will effect how it operates. Remember, if one of the planets is hit, it will reverberate to the rest in some way.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited:

FarEastUranus

This link tells you how to interpret a stellium:

http://skywriter.wordpress.com/2011/06/09/four-big-things-you-may-not-know-about-stelliums/

Hope it helps:)

I just used it to look at my own stellium. I believe that Mercury is my alpha dog (that's where I'm the most brilliant and where it gives me the most trouble :innocent:), and I demand that all mental forms and thoughts be beautiful, well-balanced (Venus in Libra in 2nd) and deeply compelling (Mars and Pluto).

I'm sure that I could dig in deeper, but this is a one-minute effort after reading this article.

Good luck!

Attachments

• NatalChart.jpg
    NatalChart.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 30

Caro

really like Donna cunningham's article makes me feel more confident about tackling this chart. (aries stellium mentioned above)

As I was reading article I was nodding - it was the statement 'I am not a typical aries ' from the chart owner that has thrown me off course. also a lot of energy blocks and energy needs to be channelled more effectively. Which DC agrees with.

for the record. chiron in aries on the cusp of 11th, venus in aries 4 degrees, mercury in aries, 9 degrees, north node in aries, saturn in aries , sun in aries. (all 11th) opposite moon in libra 10 degrees(and SN)

also did a quick look at fixed stars ceres/juno etc for this chart and they too all fall in 11/12 and 5th house. very interesting focus of talent/potential.

Claire19

I would be interested in the replies.

a friend has asked me to look at her chart. She has a stellium in aries in 11th house. She says she is not a typical aries! its that comment that has thrown me! Uranus is currently transiting this stellium - gone over venus and soon to hit mercury. gemini asc(sagi desc) hints at someone who wants a lot of personal freedom.

I think one view would be that she has a fixed nature(11th house of aqua) she also has mars in taurus and jupiter in leo!! her moon in the 5th house too.

chart shows clairaudient abilities.
If you can load her chart anonymously then I can comment. It depends on what planets are in Aries but then again she may have the wrong idea about what Arians are. If Uranus is transitting her 11th house then when it hits the personal planets there she will feel the effects only if there is a natal echo i.e aspects with Uranus and Venus and Mercury for instance. She may only have two fixed planets after all. The fixed houses do not have the same influence on the personality. There is a diffference. What shows her clairaudience? I am curious.