Yod pointing to North Node?

tingding

I have a yod and it is pointing to my north node in Scorpio, 8th house.

I am unsure if aspects have significance in relation to the North Node.

If so, it is my understanding that a yod points to an area of the chart where one is meant to "take action". I don't know how to interpret this, or how to "take action" in this case. The plants pointing to it are an Aries Jupiter in first house and a Gemini Mars in third house.

Any input or assistance in helping me understand and use this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached my chart.

Thank you!

Attachments

• astro_yod.jpg
    astro_yod.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 77

fushiafairy

I am interested in this too. I wonder about orb in this aspect also. I have north node in scorpio also. I have chiron in aries and mercury in gemini, both at a 2degree orb. My jupiter is also in aries, but is 7 degrees difference from my north node. I definately have all this communication, healing/wounded stuff going on that doesn't flow right. I feel stuck most of the time with it, but feel like I have tremendous energy. Do you feel that way with your jupiter and mars...stuck potential?

tingding

The orbs in my chart are both at zero degrees.

I often feel "stuck" in many aspects of my life, but I tend to blame it on my fifth house saturn (t-square to Uranus/mercury and Jupiter), which, I feel, impedes my creative self expression.

Can you tell me if aspects to the north node should be looked at as valid aspects in the chart?

R4VEN

I often feel "stuck" in many aspects of my life, but I tend to blame it on my fifth house saturn (t-square to Uranus/mercury and Jupiter), which, I feel, impedes my creative self expression.

Can you tell me if aspects to the north node should be looked at as valid aspects in the chart?
Technically, the configuation is not a Yod.
However, the inconjuncts to the MNN from both Mars and Jupiter are `real', and need to be taken into account when figuring out how, when etc to get going on your MNN journey. An inconjunct between Mars and the MNN would - in particular - provide delay in reaching your MNN. (I have this placement, and can certainly vouch for that!!)

What I am saying is that aspects to the nodes and in particular the nodal axis - as in squares to the nodes - will have an influence upon how easily you manage to access your NN.

Also, you are right in that a Leo Saturn in the 5th is dampening when it comes to self-expression. (I wouldn't call your T-square a t-square, as I feel tht Jupiter is out of orb.) Saturn square Uranus is one where a lot of inner tension can build up, and have no real place to go.

Have you realised that you have no earth planets in your chart?.....other than your SN in Taurus, of course. The only planet in an earth house is Venus in the 6th house, and Venus squares your nodal axis!!! It looks like you are one of these people who are going to have to work consciously towards accessing your MNN.

tingding

Thank you for the response!

I haven't really been able to find an answer, despite many internet searches.

In regards to orbs, I have read quite a few different "rules" regarding size of orbs. What do you suggest? Seven degrees? Five? Three? I have also read that in a chart with few aspects, it's okay to widen the orbs (as in up to ten), though my chart is not lacking aspects so that wouldn't apply to me.

I am wondering if you can give me advice on handling these two aspects, or at least Mars since it's an aspect we share. And the additional hurdle of the venus square. I've been playing with "astrology lite" for years but never really took the time to learn about (or even pay attention to) the nodes.

And yes, I am painfully aware of the lack of earth in my chart! :lol: Throughout my life I've surrounded myself with "earth people" in an attempt to compensate for my personal lack. Growing up, my closest friends were typically Capricorn and Taurus. My first husband was a Capricorn and my current husband is a Virgo with Capricorn ascendant. It makes sense on another level though, as Capricorn rules my 11th house and Virgo my 7th (husbands sun conjunct my descendant). And while I understand why I gravitate toward these earth signs, I cannot figure out why they chose to spend time with me!

I've continually struggled with trying to "get grounded" and get out of my head. I used to resent having a body as a teenager and did not feel comfortable in one (that sounds crazy, but I was also doing drugs...mostly psychedelics). I did some Somatic Experiencing therapy earlier this year and it helped quite a bit. I think physical exercise helps too, but I detest it quite a bit, so I don't get much of that.

R4VEN

I haven't really been able to find an answer, despite many internet searches.
The internet has next-to-nothing of worth written about yods - other than an epic thread on yods which is somewhere on this site.

The book I have used as a reference for yods - and how to live with them - is The Yod Book, by Karen Hamaker-Zondag:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA
I like the way she has covered this subject.
In regards to orbs, I have read quite a few different "rules" regarding size of orbs. What do you suggest? Seven degrees? Five? Three?
Everyone has their own story re natal orbs. I was taught that 7 degrees is the orb for natal planets, but in the case of aspects between the personals, this orb can be widened to 10 degrees. I am not so sure. This is one of the issues in astrology of which I am truly uncertain. You may find that some people have strong views about this. My advice would be....`when in doubt, lessen the orb'.
I am wondering if you can give me advice on handling these two aspects, or at least Mars since it's an aspect we share. And the additional hurdle of the venus square. I've been playing with "astrology lite" for years but never really took the time to learn about (or even pay attention to) the nodes.
What I have learned about the nodes is that if you are conscious in all your life dealings, then the nodes will take care of themselves.

To be conscious, it is necessary to be well-read about the requirements of each of your North and South nodes. Read all you can about them. This big risk is in feeling safe and even comfortable in the south node, and so being unaware that another way of being is necessary for you.

I have found the following site quite useful in summarising the nodes, and there is a list of links to other pages on the site down the right hand margin.

http://northnodeastrology.blogspot.com/search/label/North Node in Scorpio
And yes, I am painfully aware of the lack of earth in my chart! :lol: Throughout my life I've surrounded myself with "earth people" in an attempt to compensate for my personal lack. Growing up, my closest friends were typically Capricorn and Taurus. My first husband was a Capricorn and my current husband is a Virgo with Capricorn ascendant. It makes sense on another level though, as Capricorn rules my 11th house and Virgo my 7th (husbands sun conjunct my descendant). And while I understand why I gravitate toward these earth signs, I cannot figure out why they chose to spend time with me!

I've continually struggled with trying to "get grounded" and get out of my head. I used to resent having a body as a teenager and did not feel comfortable in one (that sounds crazy, but I was also doing drugs...mostly psychedelics). I did some Somatic Experiencing therapy earlier this year and it helped quite a bit. I think physical exercise helps too, but I detest it quite a bit, so I don't get much of that.
That sounds like it's taken care of then.
And perhaps those who gravitate towards you have a need to absorb some of what you present - a bit like "if you scratch my back, then I'll scratch yours."

StillOne

In regards to orbs, I have read quite a few different "rules" regarding size of orbs. What do you suggest? Seven degrees? Five? Three? I have also read that in a chart with few aspects, it's okay to widen the orbs (as in up to ten), though my chart is not lacking aspects so that wouldn't apply to me.

Hi, I'm pretty new here so please forgive my ignorance. On Astrodienst orb size is represented as a % (at least where I'm looking: extended chart selection). How should we set that so that it reflects 2, 3, 5 etc? Thanks!

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
Hi, I'm pretty new here so please forgive my ignorance. On Astrodienst orb size is represented as a % (at least where I'm looking: extended chart selection). How should we set that so that it reflects 2, 3, 5 etc? Thanks!
(I think) the default orb is 10 degrees ...and (guessing again) the percentage indicates what you want to reduce this to ...so, an 80% "reduction" = 80% of 10 = an 8 degree orb...

Thus 2 = 20% : 3 =30% : 5 =50%

EJ

Last edited:

StillOne

Thanks for that EJ. So can we possibly deduce from that that the aspects that appear using a smaller orb size will be the strongest?

For example, at 5% (1/2 orb size..?) I have a few aspects that appear in my chart. Would I look to these as meaning they are more relevant and have a stronger impact than the ones that appear at larger orb size?

At 15% I have the bathtub that you mentioned. At 40% 2 yods appear. At 70% my third yod appears. Might you deduce then that the bathtub is the most relevant, followed by the 2 first yods then lastly yod 3 which would have the lesser impact. Or would some say that some of these structures are irrelevant because the orb sized used is too big?

My intuition is telling me that the smaller orb aspects that appear are more influential but the larger orb configurations still have some relevancy. However, I'm new so I should probably just be quiet and get some books to read. Lol :whistling:

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
Orbs

...can we possibly deduce from that that the aspects that appear using a smaller orb size will be the strongest?
Yes ...the "rule" is that the influence is strongest when exact/at 0 degrees of orb.

...For example, at 5% (1/2 orb size..?) I have a few aspects that appear in my chart. Would I look to these as meaning they are more relevant and have a stronger impact than the ones that appear at larger orb size?
You will be more conscious/aware of the behaviour relating to smaller orb aspects.

...At 20% I have the bathtub that you mentioned. At 40% 2 yods appear. At 70% my third yod appears. Might you deduce then that the bathtub is the most relevant, followed by the 2 first yods then lastly yod 3 which would have the lesser impact.
Yes ...but "most relevant" = most aware of ...rather than "most significant" ...(My own experience is that awareness of the issues "unfolds" over the years ...small orb issues being apparent first and larger ones later...
But resolution of the issues works in reverse ...with larger orbed issues being resolved more easily/quickly than small orbed issues.)

...Or would some say that some of these structures are irrelevant because the orb sized used is too big?
Yes ...and I would be among the "some" who say this...

The nature of the aspect inluences the size of the orb ...and every astrologer has their own way of determing the size of orb that "feels right" to them ...(So this is something you must decide for yourself, in the light of personal experience)...

For example ...On "cold readings", I use a maximum orb of 1.5 degrees for the qcx ...but extend it to as much as 3 degrees if (I judge) the chart owner is likely to be more aware of/responsive to planetary influences than the average person-in-the-street.

My intuition is telling me that the smaller orb aspects that appear are more influential but the larger orb configurations still have some relevancy.
Yes ...but the nature of the aspect is a major factor ...as it determines the maximum allowable orb ...and how big/small the actual orb is then "relative to the maximum"...

Thus, (on cold readings) I'd use a maximum orb of 2 degrees for a sextile and 1.5 degrees for a qcx ...so if there was (say) a 1 degree orb for both of these aspects in an actual natal Yod, the sextile aspect/influence would be "closer"/stronger than the qcx.

EJ

Last edited:

Kannon

I have a yod and it is pointing to my north node in Scorpio, 8th house.

I am unsure if aspects have significance in relation to the North Node.

If so, it is my understanding that a yod points to an area of the chart where one is meant to "take action". I don't know how to interpret this, or how to "take action" in this case. The plants pointing to it are an Aries Jupiter in first house and a Gemini Mars in third house.

Any input or assistance in helping me understand and use this aspect would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached my chart.

Thank you!

Yes, such configurations are significant when they involve the N.Node, but they are subtler and usually will work themselves out over time, more slowly than usual for planets. Taking Action is definitely a key phrase here, since the Mars-Jupiter sextile (stems) is pointing to the stem. Take action to build a future.